Video curtains - which songs are they used with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adrobw

The Fly
Hello, I've seen U2 on the first leg of the tour in Chicago where they used the screens on new songs for the most part along with other songs. I recently saw them on the 3rd leg in Detroit and it seemed like they used the curtains a lot more.

Does anyone know, in all, what songs use the curtains? From the Vertigo DVD, I see that City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Sometimes...., Bullet the Blue Sky, Streets, Zoo Station, The Fly used them. And I think in Detroit I saw curtains used with Miracle Drug, Yahweh, and All Because of You. Perhaps, they added them during the European summer tour?

original does not always use curtains. they did in boston 12/5, but not 12/4. they did not use them in hartford or buffalo either.

city, vertigo, sometimes, bullet, streets, mysterious ways, declaration of human rights, yahweh, miracle drug (when it was played) uses them.

fast cars also used them once in toronto. discotheque used them as well. the fly, but that has since been dropped. all because of you, but likewise the fly.

In the european tour there were no curtains. The back of the stage was a screen that could be parted in two horizontally, so the lower part rolled down to open a place for heavy lights. I was so close to the stage I had these lights pointing right to my face most of the time. The sides of the stage were two towers of amplifiers, and over them were the screen showing the most of the time. The back screen wasn't always on, but I don't remember in which songs it was (i remember clearly COBL, SYCMIOYO, the fly, the human rights thing,...)

OK, what types of images are displayed during Mysterious Ways and Original? I would assume that My. Ways would have belly dancers but what about Original of the Species?

Ok, my contribution...

In my one and only show on this tour (I could NOT afford to see any more!) in Cardiff, the 'curtain' wasn't used for the first quarter, or so, of the show. Most of this was late evening so it wouldn't have been effective. Vertigo kicked each performance off and had a yellow/green dazzling burst of light from the spotlights across the stage.

However...it blazed into action with COBL, and was used for most of the remainder of the show. At times it was absolutely stunning! The show ended (most of the time) with a reprise of Vertigo - this time using the graphics you see in the Chicago DVD. The last scene on the curtains? "The end"!

Have a look at the photos from the European leg on this site.

:rockon:

adrobw said:
OK, what types of images are displayed during Mysterious Ways and Original? I would assume that My. Ways would have belly dancers but what about Original of the Species?

On the first leg, MW had the figure of a woman dancing for some shows...others had no curtains, IIRC. I recall some chatter around that the woman looked naked and if that was appropriate for a family show. :rolleyes: For the third leg, the light curtains had waving female hands, like how they would move in an exotic dance (NOT to be confused with erotic, although it can be that too :wink: )

OOTS on the first leg didn't have the light curtains, IIRC. On most of the third leg it had a rendered baby's head - after the official video came out, it was the part of the video where the flowers and butterflies come out of the rendered young girl's head.

hrmm...

I remember when U2 didn't really have a problem with censorship during the show...

Don't get me wrong, I understand things have changed, and they had to adapt the show, but still I can hold some nostalgia for tours gone by ;)

The screens are gorgeous though...The trickle effect with COBL is incredible!

The Miracle Drug wave was pretty sweet...but honestly, I think the best part was the lighting around the Elipse...too bad those of us up close couldnt see it//

Back
Top Bottom