Vertigo Tour post New Orleans: major changes technically?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmaly

The Fly
Each time I see the destroyed SuperDome, I can't help but think of U2's performance at the SuperBowl in 2002. It was such a landmark performance... and now we have a city in ruin. Considering that a great deal of the Vertigo Tour's first leg was good (as opposed to great): what can U2 do with its show now that this country is dealing with death and destruction in two separate theatres? The Elevation Tour was such a beautiful expression of hope and unity: can U2 do anything to heal the nation? Thoughts. Obviously "Streets" will always be connotated with New Orleans: will they change it at all? If you haven't heard the New Orleans bootleg of the boat show... be sure to find it... it is also where the band met Anton Corbijn for the first time. Amazing city.

I don't think it'll change that much.
They'll mention it, and they should, but that's it.
It shouldn't change that much either. It's a disaster, yes, but just compare it with the tsunami last year. 150.000 is a little more than the estimated 10.000. I doesn't, and shouldn't change anything that it's in the US.

thought the first leg was pretty great considering it was alot shorter and rushed than they ever anticipated

How 'bout we stop comparing disasters? It's pretty asinine. The bottom line is people need help.

Back to the original poster/topic, what major "technical" changes do you foresee? I don't know much about how these big productions work, but I'm guessing it's going to be more expensive for them b/c of gas prices steadily rising here in the US. The stage, lighting, video, and sound equipment somehow has to get from one venue to the next.

I think towards the beginning of the tour Bono will make a comment or two, but his real drive is Africa, so I think we will see that come back later in the tour...

with live8 come and past, i believe it would be bono's best interest if he cut back on the africa speeches this time around.

not eliminate them, but just tone it back a bit.

before i get flamed by people for :gasp: making a comment about bono that isn't simply kissing his ass, i personaly don't care if he goes on for 20 minutes... i'm just saying i don't think the general masses want to hear it again, like it or not.

Totally agreed with Headache. I think the Africa theme will be relegated to second string much like it was during the Elevation Tour after 9/11 (stuff about Jubilee 2000 and Drop the Debt). Above all else, America does not want to hear about Africa right now. That's my sense of things...

Because I feel the Africa theme will be minimized, I also feel that the setlist will have substantial changes in terms of the ordering of songs. It's possible that certain songs that havent seen the light of day during this tour (not just Crumbs and Electrical Storm, but also stuff like Dirty Day and Gone) will be added.

U2@NYC said:
Yup, I also agree... do not think they should change much because of the New Orleans disaster...

:wave: back again or just online for a few minutes?

i would be soooo happpy if they changed the pride-streets transition

Maybe the speech in One will be different, but I don't think that the Mandela's Africa - MLK's America "journey of equality" speech is going anywhere. Human rights is too big a theme on this tour to go away.

I think he better be careful with the whole Africa thing on the third leg. There is a possibility it could lead to some backlash, I could see critics saying, hey we have our own problems right now.

For the third leg of Elevation he was able to tie in terrorism with extreme poverty quite nicely. He will have to do something like that again for people to fully appreciate his message.

Chizip said:
I think he better be careful with the whole Africa thing on the third leg. There is a possibility it could lead to some backlash, I could see critics saying, hey we have our own problems right now.

For the third leg of Elevation he was able to tie in terrorism with extreme poverty quite nicely. He will have to do something like that again for people to fully appreciate his message.

I was thinking the excact same thing. I'm sure Bono is fully aware of whats going on. I just hope it doesn't make U2 go into conservative setlist mode like 9-11 did.

You know Bono could do some preaching in the music by singing "Crumbs" :hmm:

Chizip said:

Isn't that what I said? Chiz, are you still upset that I refuse to sign your DD petition? :wink:

let's get real. America is more than capable of dealing with both its own problems and those of of another continent. The money that is spent to help Africa is a drop in a bucket compared to what is spent on war.

Im going to draw heat for this but while tragic, this hurricaine still can't compare (and neither event should be compared with the other) with thousands of people dying daily in Africa due to a situation that we can still address while taking care of homeless people here.

Bono doesn't need to 'be careful', alter his message one little bit. Leave the message the way it is during Streets and say something appropriate during another song like One

or how about Pride? with the human rights speech...food for thought...is what happened in N.O. a violation of people's basic human rights?

now there's a can of worms, if you ask me

Last edited:
Are you for real? American just suffered its biggest natural disaster. How could one have prepared for this?

What "basic human rights" were violated?

If you can figure away to get aid to people in three different states at the same time (with a radius that covers 426 square miles-just golf coast here) in like 3 seconds then maybe you should head the free world.

I love Monday Morning Quarterbacks............

Last edited:
lovveu2 said:
Are you for real? American just suffered its biggest natural disaster. How could one have prepared for this?

If you can figure away to get aid to people in three different states at the same time (with a radius that covers 426 square miles-just golf coast here) in like 3 seconds then maybe you should head the free world.

Hi Barb

Did I say anywhere in my post that America should have been prepared for this? No. Funny for someone who knows me so well that you should consider my point of view so one-dimensional.

What basic human rights were violated? I don't know, maybe ask the people holed up inside the dome or the little girls that got raped or the people who felt so desperate that they committed suicide or the naked man who was taking a shit into a bucket. People waited days, not seconds, minutes or hours, for help. I consider that a basic rights issue.

To reiterate what I said, Bono doesnt need to be careful. The very notion sickens me. People can't stomach hearing him give proper attention to BOTH issues during a show? Americans don't want to hear about Africa right now?

The situation in NO is an anomaly. It's not happening daily. We will respectfully mourn the dead, chart ways to avoid the administrative mistakes in the future, and help to restore the displaced to some semblance of normal North American life.

What is happening in Africa is happening daily, it is millions of Africans reality. It is still the world's most pressing emergency, and I for one can't see why Bono would 'tone' down the message one little bit.

In a way, the message is universal. People in the low end of the class scale, the poor and the weak, always get the short end of the stick. They don't get the AIDS drugs in time, they don't get the relief efforts in time. No matter the continent, poverty is poverty, and in the case of NO, it turned out to be deadly.

I appreciate the 'monday quarterback' tag - you've always commented how you loved reading my opinions, and even more glad am I that you have finally decided to take me on! :)

lovveu2 said:

How could you not adequately be prepared? Hurricanes strike the coasts and the southern coasts several times a year. Surely somebody would sit up and think: hmm, with the yearly hurricane season it wouldn't hurt to have some adequate plans in case a major one comes along. Especially around NO which lies below sea level. Beter make sure the levees are up to the challenge.
Here in the Netherlands we had one major flooding in the 50's and we are still improving and raising our dykes to be prepared for the next one. To us it seemed like everybody in NO and the political higher ups couldn't care less and had this apres moi les deluge attitude. Nobody seemed to want to know the place was vulnerable so they just ignored it. A city of that magnitude in the Netherlands would have been protected by dykes of such magnitude it would have put the Maginot line to shame.

On a related sidenote. Whats with the houses made of wood in the US? Cause every hurricane or tornado seems to rip right through them. I once saw a docu on the Discovery channel where this street was ripped apart by a tornado and everybody had survived by taking shelter in the only house that survived. It was made out of bricks. Yet strangely nobody took the hint as everybody resorted to wood again for rebuilding their homes.

Muad'zin said:

How could you not adequately be prepared? Hurricanes strike the coasts and the southern coasts several times a year. Surely somebody would sit up and think: hmm, with the yearly hurricane season it wouldn't hurt to have some adequate plans in case a major one comes along. Especially around NO which lies below sea level. Beter make sure the levees are up to the challenge.
Here in the Netherlands we had one major flooding in the 50's and we are still improving and raising our dykes to be prepared for the next one. To us it seemed like everybody in NO and the political higher ups couldn't care less and had this apres moi les deluge attitude. Nobody seemed to want to know the place was vulnerable so they just ignored it. A city of that magnitude in the Netherlands would have been protected by dykes of such magnitude it would have put the Maginot line to shame.

On a related sidenote. Whats with the houses made of wood in the US? Cause every hurricane or tornado seems to rip right through them. I once saw a docu on the Discovery channel where this street was ripped apart by a tornado and everybody had survived by taking shelter in the only house that survived. It was made out of bricks. Yet strangely nobody took the hint as everybody resorted to wood again for rebuilding their homes.

The Netherlands was saved from complete disaster in 1953 when a brave captain navigated his vessel into a breach in the dike system. They learned from that lesson, but large areas had to be flooded in order for the Paysbasians to do anything. The problems in New Orleans have been predicted for some time. In 2001 a paper was published in scientific american warning of the disaster. The US Army Corps of Engineers knew that the levees were only built to withstand a Category 3 hurricane. Everytime I went to New Orleans several people took time to explain the soup bowl concept to me and I asked what the plans were if they got a major storm surge and I got this dumbfounded look. You can watch the tankers float by ABOVE you in downtown New Orleans. Last year the American Association of Petroleum Geologists published an entire issue on the problems of coastal Lousiana.

Unfortunately politics is on too short a time scale for politicians to address huge problems of this nature. It almost requires a disaster to get their attention.

In the 1940s land around the San Andreas fault line were protected from development, but since then wealthy developers have had their way and been allowed to develop homes right on the fault zone. Very few buildings in that area can withstand a magnitude 9 Earthquake, but that are is being further developed every day. Talk to any US seismologist and they will tell you what kind of disaster looms in California. It will be worse than New Orleans.

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:

Hi Barb

Did I say anywhere in my post that America should have been prepared for this? No. Funny for someone who knows me so well that you should consider my point of view so one-dimensional.

What basic human rights were violated? I don't know, maybe ask the people holed up inside the dome or the little girls that got raped or the people who felt so desperate that they committed suicide or the naked man who was taking a shit into a bucket. People waited days, not seconds, minutes or hours, for help. I consider that a basic rights issue.

To reiterate what I said, Bono doesnt need to be careful. The very notion sickens me. People can't stomach hearing him give proper attention to BOTH issues during a show? Americans don't want to hear about Africa right now?

The situation in NO is an anomaly. It's not happening daily. We will respectfully mourn the dead, chart ways to avoid the administrative mistakes in the future, and help to restore the displaced to some semblance of normal North American life.

What is happening in Africa is happening daily, it is millions of Africans reality. It is still the world's most pressing emergency, and I for one can't see why Bono would 'tone' down the message one little bit.

In a way, the message is universal. People in the low end of the class scale, the poor and the weak, always get the short end of the stick. They don't get the AIDS drugs in time, they don't get the relief efforts in time. No matter the continent, poverty is poverty, and in the case of NO, it turned out to be deadly.

I appreciate the 'monday quarterback' tag - you've always commented how you loved reading my opinions, and even more glad am I that you have finally decided to take me on! :)

I'll tell you what...you debate how long it took to get aid to them or what and if Bono should mention and during what song. I will act. See as of last night Chicago received 143 people of the 5000 to 10,000 we are expecting. So while you play quarterback... I will act!

Sorry that is the best my simplistic mind can come up with...I'm tired... I was "working" for solutions last night and will be doing the same tonight when we hold a rally at my daughter's school to look for temporary housing, schools, etc for these misplaced people ( just can't bring myself to call them refugees). We can't change the past but we can effect the future!

BTW Americans are not so self centered that we can't hear about others in need. We are capable of taking care of OUR needs and anything else that is thrown into the mix! (it's call multitasking and we do it well)

before this thread starts turning into an anti-american pissing thread...

yes, i know... in the grand scheme of things, what happened in new orleans is small time compared to the millions who die in africa, the tsunami, etc. etc. etc.

but fact of the matter is it is still a tragedy of an epic nature, and it's hitting americans hard right now. all i'm saying, which is exactly what chizip is saying, that if he does as much africa talk on the third leg as he did on the first, there may be a bit of a "oh shut up already" attitude from many people. not from me, but from the general masses.

i'm not saying eliminate the africa talk... i'm just saying cut it back a tad. there is a point where a message, as great and wonderful as that message may be, can start to get annoying. like it or not, that's just fact.

live8 happened... the g8 made progress on the issue... and now america is worried about what's going on in the gulf region. you could be a doctor or social worker... whatever... someone who deals with helping other people, but if someone in your own family suffers a horrific tragedy, your focus is obviously going to shift to your own family, even though there are still others out there suffering as much if not more. it's simple human nature. it's the same with a nation... yes, there's people around the world suffering as much if not more than those in new orleans and the rest of the gulf region. but those suffering down south right now are our own people. they're part of our family. obviously our thoughts will be with them first.

and just like if a family member of ours died for a stupid reason, we would get annoyed and pissed off if someone from another family started telling us how it was our own fault? yea... same goes for this. trust me... i know we fucked up. we know we fucked up. doesn't diminish the fact that thousands of our own are dead. so take your shnide little comments about how we should have known and it's our own fault and, frankly, to be kind, shove 'em up your fucking ass.

lovveu2 said:

I'll tell you what...you debate how long it took to get aid to them or what and if Bono should mention and during what song. I will act. See as of last night Chicago received 143 people of the 5000 to 10,000 we are expecting. So while you play quarterback... I will act!

Sorry that is the best my simplistic mind can come up with...I'm tired... I was "working" for solutions last night and will be doing the same tonight when we hold a rally at my daughter's school to look for temporary housing, schools, etc for these misplaced people ( just can't bring myself to call them refugees). We can't change the past but we can effect the future!

BTW Americans are not so self centered that we can't hear about others in need. We are capable of taking care of OUR needs and anything else that is thrown into the mix! (it's call multitasking and we do it well)

Good God, get off your high horse. I'm elated that your city is doing everything it can to help. I'm not debating it whether Bono should say anything or not one little bit. There is no rational debate possible on the topic.

I'm playing quarterback??? Check this out - I believe that one of the main principles of giving is to let your giving be done in secret, at least that was His idea of it - but I will tell you that I'm doing what I can and you already know about some of it so what exactly are you on me about? In addition, my dad was one of those Maritime families who personally offered their homes to evacuees. Feel silly yet?

I wish you'd read my posts properly. I didn't say that Americans in general couldn't handle it, I asked the question rhetorically and sarcastically to the, note, I'll highlight it, *posters in this thread* who stated that that might be the case and that Bono should be careful, and that, I quote, "Americans dont want to hear about Africa right now"

I would HOPE that the majority of Americans (which group I know you to belong to) at U2 concerts could handle hearing about both tragedies in one night and not feel that their tragedy is being disrespected or whatever.

So please dont let me be misunderstood again.

gabrielvox said:

I am sure you are not questioning my commitment to Africa are you? Since you know me "well" you know that I have worked tirelessly on this since the mid 80's.

My ONLY point was that everyone expected us (the people of the UNITED STATES) to react faster. I have grown tired of people questioning what happened in the first 72 hours...I want to see what people are going to do in the here and now.

Back
Top Bottom