Vertigo Tour Lacks Magic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, Dalton, on April 6, I agreed with you. At Anaheim 2, I was not only in the ellipse but was coveted "front and center" but I left the show feeling empty. I didn't even cry during "streets," a song that's been making me cry since it came out (yes I'm a sop). There was no joy. The usual soaring just wasn't there, it didn't come. Then I went to Staples 1 (Staples SUCKS); the setlist was the same, and I felt the same afterwards--U2 just wasn't doing anything for me anymore. There was something about the setlist that felt artificial. There were slow spots, songs that I didn't care for, songs that for me had worn thin. There were no surprises. I was very disappointed, because it had all come flooding back to me the first time I heard Vertigo, which live was just flat and without any of the energy that Elevation had had.

Then came Phoenix 2. The setlist was rearranged, Bad reappeared, I heard Gloria for the first time live, and Bono seemed to be himself again. He was funny, he was soulful, he was over the top, he got down on his knees and shook hands (but still not mine, waaa). Even Edge and Adam seemed more relaxed--they seemed to smile a lot more.

For me, the magic was back. It was a great way for my tour experience to end.

Huh, LA 2 was magic for me, Adam even did a walk-about twice. I also went to LA 1. Maybe it was because I was behind the stage on LA2, I got to watch the crowd reactions from my vantage point.

Is it possible though, the "spoilers" aptly named, might also take away some of the magic? If you didn't read any of the setlists, very little about the tour, went in with a blank slate, maybe a different reaction? I had read about Adam's walkabout during "Streets" prior to seeing for myself, so I wasn't suprised but it was cool. When he did it during "New Year's Day" on LA 2, big surprise. Crowd went nuts with "New Year's Day" that night, maybe that's why he did it then. :shrug:

Now if U2 were to play "Gloria" on November 1, 2005 well that alone would make it magic for me.

Back
Top Bottom