vertigo tour ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1/8/87

Babyface
last nights sydney show had just 4 songs from htdaab !!!! is this a record for this tour ??
elevation tour by stealth ? south america tour 2 ?

Come on lads you have been coming to australia since the early 80's - WE WANT THE ELECTRIC CO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , out of control , gloria , wild horses , the whole european stadium experience , i dont want to see the same setlist on monday night , too many u2 "virgins" goint to these shows though !!

Yes, you are correct, last night had the lowest amount of HTDAAB songs out of any Vertigo Tour show.

I am hoping we will get something special tomorrow. Bring on the mighty Electric Co.!

Axver, the setlists being very similar from brisbane to sydney do u get a different expirerence out of every show?? Me and a mate are going to both the Melbourne gigs?? And his not sure if he wants to go now because the setlists are so similar. Whats ur opinion on it, as you are going to a number of shows on this leg of the tour. Whats the expierence like at the second show when a similar setlist is played and it becomes predictable?

I also agree bring on Electric Co. and Out of Control !!!

Don't discount the fact it might be the U218 tour by stealth. I'm seeing all the Australian shows and if I could be so brave as to have a wishlist of songs I want to see but not yet played then here it is:

All Because Of You
Crumbs
All I Want Is You
Bad
The Electric Co

With "only" 4 shows to go I reckon my chances are getting slim. Sydney III could knock off 2 perhaps even 3 of these. I don't think Adelaide will have anything adventurous in it. Probably the same as Brisbane and Sydney I.

Axver said:
Yes, you are correct, last night had the lowest amount of HTDAAB songs out of any Vertigo Tour show.

I am hoping we will get something special tomorrow. Bring on the mighty Electric Co.!

The Electric Co. isn't on HTDAAB either...

Popmartijn said:

The Electric Co. isn't on HTDAAB either...

:huh: I know. Did you read the original post? I replied first to the comment that Sydney II had the least amount of HTDAAB songs, and then to the comment about the other songs. I never said either 1. that "something special" at Sydney III = HTDAAB stuff, or 2. that The Electric Co. is somehow on HTDAAB.

Av said:
Axver, the setlists being very similar from brisbane to sydney do u get a different expirerence out of every show?? Me and a mate are going to both the Melbourne gigs?? And his not sure if he wants to go now because the setlists are so similar. Whats ur opinion on it, as you are going to a number of shows on this leg of the tour. Whats the expierence like at the second show when a similar setlist is played and it becomes predictable?

I also agree bring on Electric Co. and Out of Control !!!

Well, I felt Sydney III had quite a different feel to it than Brisbane and quite a good deal better. The band is good at not making every song seem the same as its last 100 performances. Plus, when I like a song, I don't see the problem with hearing it again. I've heard The Fly at every single U2 show that I have seen, and I seem to enjoy it more and more every time. At the moment, out of the songs that we know will make the set, it is the one I look forward to most.

I don't really consider this to be the Vertigo tour. I mean, it is the same stage and everything, but it's no longer the tour to support and promote the HTDAAB record. The band are probably in a different place now then they were 1-2 years ago. This is the first tour U2 have done without a new album, really. I realize Lovetown was a year after Rattle and Hum, but it definitely felt like the Rattle and Hum tour. These setlists are the songs that U2 want to play, what they feel is their "A-Game". Call it the U2:18 tour if you want, you won't be wrong.

Yeah, U2 is just having fun now. That's what is making this 5th leg so good is they are playing the songs they love and can play well. Can't wait for Hawaii!

SMB

The tour is/was to promote the latest album, HTDAAB. It now isn't the latest album, so its up to them to promote U218 (which they pretty much do anyway).

Shame really, i liked the Bomb. At least COBL survived.

Despite lower number of HTDAAB songs it is hardly not the Vertigo tour. Considering 18 months and four other legs have gone by of course it is going to be different. Of course Australia was going to get a few extra ATYCLB songs as we missed out on the Elevation tour. Given the immensity of that album after Pop can you imagine them not? Imagine if we didn't get the ZooTv tour, would we have expected some extra AB songs in Popmart? There would have been lots of dissapointed people if not...

At the end of the day we've got basically 50% of the set taken up by ATYCLB, HTDAAB & other new songs (ie Saints). So to be calling it a greatest hits tour is a bit far from the mark when that means 12 songs from the first 9 albums... If it was a greatest hits tour then it would be pretty unlikely for the following to be in the set IMO - COBL, UTEOTW, Yahweh, LOPOE, BTBS, MS, Saints or Kite. Take your pick for the replacements from the list of greatest hits. Then you've got a setlist for the greatest hits tour.

its definitely a U2 18 tour

after only 3 shows 15 of the 18 songs have been played, the only three that havent are Mysterious Ways, the Sweetest Thing, and WITS

I realy hope U2 steers away from some of their "greatest hits" next tour

Av said:
the setlists being very similar from brisbane to sydney do u get a different expirerence out of every show?? Me and a mate are going to both the Melbourne gigs?? And his not sure if he wants to go now because the setlists are so similar. !!!

Hey Av, I know your question was directed at Axver, but here's a view from someone who has seen U2 multiple times over many tours....

Seeing U2 many times on one tour is fine, but the chances are each show will be pretty similar to the last except for maybe a couple of changes in a set list. Each show is different in it's own way, but if you're talking set lists and Bono's mid song speeches, not much changes from show to show in all fairness. When you buy tickets for more than one U2 show, this is something you can pretty much guarantee. Now and again a surprise might pop up, but in general, the changes between setlists are very few and far between.

I saw U2 a lot of times during Zoo TV/Zooropa/Pop & Elevation and I loved hopping from one place to another around the UK and Europe. I also got to see them once on the UF Tour, a couple of times on the Joshua Tree Tour and once on Lovetown. It's where the 'older' generation fan is lucky enough to have seen the band during them times. I think so anyway. I've enjoyed the couple of Vertigo shows I've seen but it still doesn't rank in my top three for the tours I've attended despite the fact the band have sounded great. I'm sure there are a few who will disagree, but everyone has their preference.

For your friend, my advice would be, if he is a U2 fan, go and enjoy it. Although the setlist is not likely to change very much (I'd like to see Electric Co too, but it's seriously just not going to happen I don't think), the main thing is that the band are in very good form and the songs are sounding great. If I had the choice of spending a night in/at the pub or spending a night watching one of the all time great bands, who are in form, play live - I know which one I'd take!!

Chizip said:
its definitely a U2 18 tour

after only 3 shows 15 of the 18 songs have been played, the only three that havent are Mysterious Ways, the Sweetest Thing, and WITS

On that basis aren't most of the shows they have ever done greatest hits shows? The only real difference between this leg & previous ones is a couple more ATYCLB songs (because we didn't get the Elevation tour) + Saints instead of a couple of HTDAAB & Boy songs. The overall structure of the set, the various themes, etc are all very similar.

The closest they will ever get to a "greatest hits" tour was Elevation (looking at you third leg). Played every hit and popular live song you can think of.

This is still very much the Vertigo tour, it's too bad M. Drug, OOTS, Crumbs, ABOY got buried and maybe Yahweh will follow too but on the other hand, props to the band for not just repeating the S. American setlists.

And it is feasible the added songs Desire, Angel of Harlem and Saints are sort of the mini U218 set.

Last edited:
Mysterious Ways was played last night

so make that 16 out of the 18 songs on U218 played on this leg

ill say it again, after 2 almost greatest hits tours in a row, i really hope they go in a little different direction on the next tour

Shawn Bonneau said:
Yeah, U2 is just having fun now. That's what is making this 5th leg so good is they are playing the songs they love and can play well. Can't wait for Hawaii!

SMB

that's probably the funniest post ever!!!
HAVING FUN???
kids have fun
u2 can have better fun

I can't wait till U2 stops going back in their catalogue on next tour(s) so people can really have something to whine about.

Back
Top Bottom