Vertigo > Popmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wally8

The Fly
I saw Popmart back in '98 and wasnt really enthralled by the U2 experience. It was speccy, but sounded shit. I gave them another chance and saw Vertigo, much much better. Agree?

I dunno, they each have their own little pieces of gold.

Please > Streets :drool:
Pop Muzik > Mofo :drool:

Zoo Station > The Fly :drool:
Anything > The Electric Co. > Anything :drool:

Exactly. Bono's voice was better during this tour but in other ways POPmart was better.

I just loved the huge stage, the whole setting was just amazing. Ofcourse POP muzik over to Mofo is the best tour opener U2 has ever had.

Last night on earth just rocks everything Vertigo has to offer off the table, the Please - Streets transition is just so amazing.

They are two different things, but for the Popmart concept and realisation alone, I prefer that tour.

But Vertigo surely had the greatest U2 sets ever.

Wasn´t at the Popmart show, but in terms of performances I´ve heard on bootlegs and setlist variation I put Vertigo ahead of it.

Vertigo is a better show. I'm not a fan of Pop, so a lot of the setlist for Popmart was a bore for me.

Vertigo brought a lot more variety and return of some quality songs.

It really depends on when and where you saw it. Early Pop tour vs. any show on Vertigo is no comparison but as the tour went on we'd get a bit more competitive. For setlist I'd probably take Popmart but for going to mutliple shows Vertigo rules the day.

btw it's a bit unfair ofcourse to compare setlists etc.

U2 basicly had a lot more good songs to choose from this tour the back in 97.

I wasnt a fan of the COBL opening in Vertigo compared to Mofo or Zoo TV. But now after seeing COBL open the show live, OH MY GOD, my spine almost snapped from shivers. Vertigo > Pop for me

Both are my very favorite tours of Post 90's , along with Lovetown the Definitive top 3 of u2

So For me

VERTIGO = POPMART

Just like Spider-man 1 or 2 , Both Great , Fantastic only different

Just like Bangin

Erica Durance

or

Elisa Cuthbert

Last edited:
schnumi said:
btw it's a bit unfair ofcourse to compare setlists etc.

U2 basicly had a lot more good songs to choose from this tour the back in 97.

They had two albums worth of songs. Yet they changed the setlist up a lot more. Your point has no merit. Popmart had almost identical setlists at every show, and it had nothing to do with lack of material. Let me be corrected by Axver if I am wrong.

As far as presentation goes, I don't think this is even a contest. Popmart, visually, is I think U2's best tour. The screen was incredible, and come on, a forty foot lemon? That's just plain awesome.

However, I have to give the title to Vertigo. At the end of the day, the point is not how the tour looks, it's about the music. Bono's voice is better this tour. The song selection is better this tour. The sets are more varied. The classic hits played on both tours sound much better this time around. And while Popmart's tour schedule was previously the best of any U2 tour, Vertigo has managed to largely outdo it (though I can see why someone such as a Finn or a Greek would disagree with me).

phillyfan26 said:
They had two albums worth of songs. Yet they changed the setlist up a lot more. Your point has no merit. Popmart had almost identical setlists at every show, and it had nothing to do with lack of material. Let me be corrected by Axver if I am wrong.

You are quite right. As far as setlist variation goes, Popmart gets the award from me as "most static tour". It just about makes ZooTV look like it was chock-full of changes!

Plus, the "U2 have more songs to choose from now" argument doesn't really hold as the songs that made Vertigo so sensational for most of us existed in 1997 and could have been played on Popmart: Zoo Station, The Electric Co., Gloria, One Tree Hill, The First Time ...

U2FanPeter said:
Popmart hit more cities, right?

I think the only territory missed on Popmart that Vertigo played was NZ.

Yeah. Vertigo certainly hit more places in the States (including Hawaii), and it played more dates in some European and Australian cities. Popmart didn't hit Monterrey either.

Popmart's total countries is higher. Vertigo featured almost 40 more shows.

Back
Top Bottom