Vertigo: more surprise tunes than any other U2 tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corner said:
Miss Sarajevo @ Amsterdam 16/7/05?!?!? :ohmy::hyper::faint:

I think we can hereby declare Vertigo the winner over Elevation in the surprise tunes category.

:yes: Damn straight Axver! I'd never have believed Miss Sarajevo would be making a comeback after the one-off Popmart performance...
What other treats are in store for us I wonder...:hmm:

corner said:
I'd never have believed Miss Sarajevo would be making a comeback after the one-off Popmart performance...
What other treats are in store for us I wonder...:hmm:

Your Blue Room with Adam's vocals.
The Fool.
The Edge belly dancing.
Larry singin...no, scrap that - he is definitely a drummer!
Bono growing his mullet back.
Paul McGuinness playing a flying V.
A full band cover of YMCA.
Playing Vertigo twice - doh!

A Sort of Homecoming was played on the Elevation Tour?:huh:

LJT said:
A Sort of Homecoming was played on the Elevation Tour?:huh:

Yes. It was played at the first Slane gig (by the full band, although the version was quite ramshackle) and once more during the fall leg. A fan was invited to play guitar on stage, but instead of launching into Party Girl/People Get Ready/Knockin' On Heaven's Door/etc. he launched into A Sort Of Homecoming. That version was even more ramshackle than the Slane one. :)

U2Girl1978 said:
Backwards? What do you mean? I've never heard it so I don't know.

It was the last concert of the first leg of the Lovetown Tour and this was the setlist (from http://www.u2tours.com):

1. Stand By Me
2. Pride
3. New Year's Day
4. I Still Haven't Found
5. People Get Ready
6. MLK
7. One Tree Hill
8. Where the Streets...
9. Gloria
10. Help
11. Bad
12. Van Diemen's Land
13. Bullet The Blue Sky
14. Running to Stand Still
15. Slow Dancing
16. Angel of Harlem
17. When Love Comes to Town
18. Love Rescue Me

Encore(s):
19. Desire
20. All Along The Watchtower
21. All I Want Is You
22. 40

Usually, Pride and New Year's Day were played at the end of the main set. People Get Ready would also get played later. Angel Of Harlem/When Love Comes To Town/Love Rescue Me would be played during the encores. And Desire/All Along The Watchtower/All I Want Is You belonged early in the main set.
So in a way, this is a 'backwards' setlist. Or at the very least a thoroughly mixed one. :wink:

the soul waits said:

You have to download it! It's beautiful!
There are links in the tour audio & video-section as well as in Music on the Internet.
:)

Aw thanks, the Soul Waits :D:D:D

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some urgent business to attend to.....:dance::dance::dance:

...apparently Bono forgot the entire Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, and Lovetown tours, all of which routinely closed with '40' from 1984-1990.

Of course on Elevation he also said they hadn't done either Tick Tock or Control in "20 years" when it was actually 11 years (1990) in both instances.

On PopMart leg III Edge kept saying that they had done SBS "a month ago" in Sarajevo...and kept saying "a month ago" for a further 2 months! LOL....

So U2 has not been precisely accurate with regard to time.

Now all i'm waiting for is please, ultraviolet, gloria and bad and then I can die peacefully. I saw whgrywh and miss sarajevo in amsterdam..... :wink:

borretje said:
Now all i'm waiting for is please, ultraviolet, gloria and bad and then I can die peacefully. I saw whgrywh and miss sarajevo in amsterdam..... :wink:

I'm so happy I saw them during zootv, popmart or chicago IV...

I my: I CAN die peacefully:huh:

I am fully convinced that at some point during this tour (perhaps not until the third leg), U2 will play some songs from Zooropa and/or Pop. Maybe even something totally unpredictable, like Mofo :drool: Far-fetched but honestly...did ANYONE think they were going to play MISS SAREJEVO?! At this point I think we can assume just about anything can happen. I mean, they played MISS SAREJEVO!!!

...MISS SAREJVO!!!!!!

...Miss Sarejevo?

AtomicBono said:
I am fully convinced that at some point during this tour (perhaps not until the third leg), U2 will play some songs from Zooropa and/or Pop. Maybe even something totally unpredictable, like Mofo :drool: Far-fetched but honestly...did ANYONE think they were going to play MISS SAREJEVO?! At this point I think we can assume just about anything can happen. I mean, they played MISS SAREJEVO!!!

...MISS SAREJVO!!!!!!

...Miss Sarejevo?

:yes: You're right, AtomicBono. It almost feels like U2 are making a point of deliberatley choosing the more obscure/unpredictable tunes to add into the setlist. Maybe that's why they're holding out from giving us the Crumbs...:hmm: maybe not :wink:
There are definetely a few more curve balls comin our way though, that's for sure... :hyper:

corner said:

:yes: You're right, AtomicBono. It almost feels like U2 are making a point of deliberatley choosing the more obscure/unpredictable tunes to add into the setlist. Maybe that's why they're holding out from giving us the Crumbs...:hmm: maybe not :wink:
There are definetely a few more curve balls comin our way though, that's for sure... :hyper:
The choice for Miss Sarejevo abviously has a political reason too...

Neilz said:

The choice for Miss Sarejevo abviously has a political reason too...

Yeah that's true...although if politics took priority over unpredictable setlists, I suspect Miss Sarajevo wouldn't be played at the expense of RTSS, which also has obvious political reasons for being played throughout this tour.

I got to hear the Ocean, after it's long hiatus. I'm just waiting for "hardcopy" bootlegs of the LA1 and 2 from the Vertigo tour. Not finding any such luck, I'm on dial up so downloads aren't very convenient.

Guess I'll have to keep looking.

Hawkfire said:
...apparently Bono forgot the entire Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, and Lovetown tours, all of which routinely closed with '40' from 1984-1990.

To be even more precise, between 26 February 1983 and 10 January 1990, only twenty full U2 concerts did not close with 40.

Bono's comment that it hadn't been played since 1983 is further invalidated by the fact 40 was played four times on Popmart and once pre-Elevation on 7 February 2001 at the Astoria, London.

Of course on Elevation he also said they hadn't done either Tick Tock or Control in "20 years" when it was actually 11 years (1990) in both instances.

When 11 O'clock Tick Tock came back on 5 December 2000, Bono said that it was a song they hadn't played in the lifetime of most of the people there. Well, it was last played on 10 January 1990, so unless they were playing to a crowd of school children ...

He FINALLY got something right though. Boston, 28 May 2005, before Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, he announced they hadn't played it for over ten years. He was right - they hadn't played it for roughly twelve and a half.

Axver said:
When 11 O'clock Tick Tock came back on 5 December 2000, Bono said that it was a song they hadn't played in the lifetime of most of the people there. Well, it was last played on 10 January 1990, so unless they were playing to a crowd of school children ...

Well, he said 'most of your lifetime', so you could say that's correct. Don't know if the audience was very young, but almost 11 years is most of one's lifetime (especially if they're under 25).

:)

Back
Top Bottom