Vertigo missed classic band entrance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
COBL worked really well from a distance. Would have loved to have seen L&P! It also seems like All Because of You could work as an opener, too (with that gorgeous Edge clarion call at the beginning...)

my first show of this tour i didn't realize that bono walked along the inside of the ellipse to get to the tip... i was on the rail outside the ellipse on the right/adam's side. so i'm looking ahead at the edge, at the main stage waiting for bono to show up somewhere, and then all of a sudden he's standing there 5 feet to my left with his arms raised, confetti falling around, bathed in light...

that, my friends, was fucking awesome.

It will interesting to see what Vertigo opening we get here in Australia when they finally come down. Of the ones they've done so far I hope we get COBL. (I think Vertigo works better as a 2nd song rather than an opening one - kind of like the spot IWF often takes when included).

Interesting that no one has gone back further than ZooTV with their fav openings. I still don't think you can go past the extended Synth opening of Streets from the JT/LT era with the red backdrop. Very simple but very effective. I loved the Zoo & Popmart openings as well (we didn't get elevation down here) but I still can't go past Streets as an opening number.

Maquaman said:
I still don't think you can go past the extended Synth opening of Streets from the JT/LT era with the red backdrop.

Yup, you're right.

I can still see it now:

April 1987

The houselights flick off suddenly, plunging the hall into total darkness... everyone starts screaming... cue Brian Eno's loooong church organ synth opening... the backdrop behind the stage turns red, like a sunrise... here they come on stage!... is that Edge?..... Larry starts clicking his drumsticks... Edge starts his jangly guitar intro... here comes Bono, wearing a cowboy hat, smilling and waving to everyone... here we go!.... Bono yells "Thank you!" and "Get up!"... the houselights flick back on! the whole crowd is standing and screaming... "I WANNA RUN!"....

followed by "I Will Follow"...

followed by "Trip Through Your Wires"...

The greatest opening 14 minutes in rock 'n roll history.

Elevation is my favourite entrance, followed by Zoo TV, and JT tour entrances.

Never cared for over-the-top, bodyguards-everywhere, megalomaniac Popmart entrance.

Was the backlit red screen the intro consistently used for all of the JT shows?

sboow said:
Was the backlit red screen the intro consistently used for all of the JT shows?

Not for the arena shows, not here in LA at least. The torch being lit for the colisieum show was really cool though.

chrissybaby said:
hawkmoon in australia is the best imo. that sydney documentary makes me goosebump!

I hear so much about this! How do I go about finding a copy of this doco?

Back
Top Bottom