Vertigo Let Down Theory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooteevee

Babyface
Has anyone else noticed that many of the reviews for this tour on U2log are not "negative" but like disappointed? I have a theory that fans are not responding overly positive to the shows on this leg because these are the shows that many "REAL " fans couldn't get tickets for. I think much of the demographic of people showing up for these shows are the ones who could afford to pay scalpers and brokers. Further evidence is the actual number of reviews popping up on u2tours. After Elevation shows, that screen would light up and there would be 15-20 reviews by the next morning. This time around, on average there have been maye four or five reviews right away and then a few more as the days go by. It's just a theory, but my prediction is that the fans attending the third leg will blow the roof off of the venues b/c they will be the "real" fans who through U2.com, Prop etc. were able to actually get tickets. What does anyone else think?

perhaps.

but how many casual fans would post a review of the show that night or the next morning? especially if they were, as you claim, not excited by the concert?

ive read a few reviews at u2tours.com. those of last night were mixed but others have been positive.

Yeah, the reviews have been mostly positive. Many people have even said that they thought this tour is better than Elevation. It seems clear that some shows are better than others, but this was the case for Elevation too.

I don't know if the demographics are that different for this tour, it's hard to say. I do think that the fact that their tickets are very expensive attracts people with money more than anything else, but it was the same for Elevation. The difference this time around is that they are playing set-lists that are non-casual-fan-friendly. I haven't been to a show yet, but many people seem to say that the Boy set at the beginning pretty much kills the spirit of the crowd right away, except on the floor maybe. I think they should rotate ONE of these songs every night and that's it.

majority of reviews i have read have called the show amazing, and better than elevation, of course some will be dissapointed, it was the same for the elevation tour, but the dissapointed people seem more vocal this time round, and maybe the happy people have just decided to enjoy the moment

Originally posted by oceane
I haven't been to a show yet, but many people seem to say that the Boy set at the beginning pretty much kills the spirit of the crowd right away, except on the floor maybe. I think they should rotate ONE of these songs every night and that's it.

The fact that there's alot of Boy tunes ... makes me really happy.
Obviously, the killed spirit in some crowds ... means that those people aren't "long-time" U2 fans. They only have a certain
knowledge of later U2 music and they're not familiar with U2's
music that they began with. What U2 are trying to do ... IMO ...
is get fans to know about ALL of their music .."past and present"
Which is a great thing for them to do. I'm not going to criticize
them for playing the older tunes, even if I didn't know those songs. Also, there's alot of songs on HTDAAB that fans don't care for, but that didn't stop them from getting tickets for this tour in the first place !! I wonder how many fans in the audience, are NOT showing their "enthusiasm" for the HTDAAB songs that they dislike !! Huh !! Now there's a topic to discuss ...
Either way .. it's the same regarding the older music that should
NOT be played that much ... in YOUR opinion. You're probably one of those fans that dislikes the older music and this is the way you discriminate U2 for it ... by saying the crowd's spirit is killed. I think
there's going to be people that are unhappy with some song selections and that doesn't matter, because we do NOT have the "say-so" in what songs U2 performs. The only important matter is ... that U2 gives us a GREAT concert performance ... of
"whatever" song selection they choose. If you want to hear only a certain selection of U2 songs ... than stay home and play them yourself on your stereo. That sounds like that would make you happier than subjecting yourself to the concert !! The "long-time"
true U2 fans don't care what is played, they're just glad they're
touring and they can go to the concert and see them perform,
myself included as well !!

^^^ well said!

let's face it - there is ALWAYS going to be someone out there who is not happy with couple of songs played, because they personally don't like those songs. I like the fact they are mixing it up and playing lots of older songs, even though i am not AS familiar with the 80's U2 music. Personally, I can hardly wait to go and see them..... as far as I am concern-I could sit there for 2 hrs. listening to them play same song over and over again... THAT's how excited I am to see them live.

I've been to three shows and they have all been incredible.

That said, it is still very, very early in the tour and I don't believe that the band has quite found their grove yet but they will...it happens every tour where everything suddenly just clicks.

But there is a lot here that they are taking on and asking of the audience...more than ever before.

1. The Boy Songs. This is great, great for the veteran fans. But I do believe the introduction of the Boy songs slows down the pace a little...especially at the beginning of the show. Energy and flow was better at the Anaheim 1 show. At San Diego 1 and LA 1, a lot of the newer audience was looking around, huh?? "Hey what's with that picture of the half-naked boy?" (They drop down a screen of the original Boy album cover).

2. There is a feeling or nostalgia that we've seen this before with a set design that is very much from the Elevation tour in 2001. It takes away from the freshness of the look when you walk into the arena...not the sound of the band (which is by far the most important thing).

3. I honestly believe that Bono is having voice problems and I think there is some concern here. I've had GAs twice and you can see him holding back and not going for it. Also, if you are at a show, watch how much Edge is singing...so much more than before and he is taking over on almost all of the higher notes. I believe this is bothering Bono.

4. The tone of this tour is a hard one and there are pacing problems at the moment (which is very common at the beginning of any tour) The band, rightly, is asking a lot of the audience here. The very old songs combined with Africa....it's hard for the audience to get into complete escapism mode...which is what the majority of the audience have come for. I enjoy it and appreciate it but it is heavy for a concert experience. I applaud them for doing it.

5. The ticket sale issue. I believe this does still linger somewhat. And the message of "we didn't know if we were going to be able to tour." Is not as strong as, "We are the greatest rock band ever, and are going out to reclaim that title." Bono is not as confident this time around. At least, not yet. Last time, it was like he wanted to go out and kick some ass.

6. So far, I don't know if the band has found that sense of bliss that they usually get into on the road. I believe that Edge's family's personal issues are really weighing on them. And I wonder if, within the band, some are second guessing on whether this was the right time to tour. In any case, it weighs on the "feel" of the tour.

7. In 2001, Bono was right when he said that during Streets, "it feels like God has stepped into the room." And if you were there, it really did and I'm not feeling that during this tour. It's still better than 100% of other live acts but not yet up to U2 standards. Pride into Street is pretty heavy. I miss him running around the heart and the lighting system here is not nearly as effective as the Elevation tour. That said, I actually really like the African intro. here and don't believe they should change that message.

8. This is just a throwaway but I wonder....do they feel somewhat jinxed by the Rock and Roll Hall Fame induction?

Anyway, I feel lucky and grateful (we all should be) that they are touring. It's still my favorite night out. I will be seeing them on at least 10 nights on this tour. They blow away anyone else live but this tour has yet to find its identity...but it will...and maybe as soon as tonight at San Jose 2.

Westport said:
That said, it is still very, very early in the tour and I don't believe that the band has quite found their grove yet but they will...it happens every tour where everything suddenly just clicks.

Here's hoping its Denver!

somebody please explain to me: dissapointed? in what?

setlists?
Bono's glasses?
Bono too political?

If you read through most of these threads, the majority of 'dissapointment' is coming from fans who haven't even been to the shows. My suggestion if you haven't been (i know its tough..i did it on elevation tour) is stop reading everything that is being said here, dont listen to bootlegs of the shows and let the anticipation build. I promise it will 'Fresh'.

Now, to make myself very unpopular around here:

I also don't understand why some people think 'hard core fans' should have a special right to buy a ticket. Its the casual 'fan' that has made U2 what they are. If they had only a 'hardcore' following' they probably wont be touring, they probabably wouldn't be around. The band did what they could to let u2.com members have frst dibs. (ok so it wasn't perfect... i didn't get any) but i am grateful (and proud and happy for the boys) that they can still sellout 8 shows in southern california. Even if it is to a casual fan crowd. A casual fan crowd btw who all stayed at their seats to sing the "oh oh oh ooo's from" An cat dubh, and new what to song when 40 came on. A casual fan crowd that (and judging by the boots, this happeneing other cities) sang Yahweh for Bono.

All 100,000+ people who saw U2 here in two weeks, all GOT REALLY LUCKY to get tickets. These casual fans had to work ust as hard to get tickets.

MsMofoGone said:

Either way .. it's the same regarding the older music that should
NOT be played that much ... in YOUR opinion. You're probably one of those fans that dislikes the older music and this is the way you discriminate U2 for it ... by saying the crowd's spirit is killed. I think
there's going to be people that are unhappy with some song selections and that doesn't matter, because we do NOT have the "say-so" in what songs U2 performs. The only important matter is ... that U2 gives us a GREAT concert performance ... of
"whatever" song selection they choose. If you want to hear only a certain selection of U2 songs ... than stay home and play them yourself on your stereo. That sounds like that would make you happier than subjecting yourself to the concert !! The "long-time"
true U2 fans don't care what is played, they're just glad they're
touring and they can go to the concert and see them perform,
myself included as well !!

Wow, that's a whole lot of assumptions you just made about me and what I think about the set-lists! I LOVE older U2, in fact probably more than the more recent stuff, and you can be sure that when they play the Boy songs at the shows I go to I'll be singing and dancing and totally enjoy it. The point I made was that I am not sure that playing 2-3 very old and obscure songs early in the set is the best way to get the crowd going, that's all.

There is a difference between what I, as a die-hard fan, would love to hear, and what songs are likely to set the whole crowd on fire. Ideally, a good set-list makes a good mix of both, but it's a very hard thing to do, especially when you are U2 and so many people expect many different things when going to your show.

I've never complained about the set-lists, I was happy with the Elevation set-lists, and those that I have seen so far for Vertigo look pretty cool too. I certainly don't expect to hear a 'certain set of songs' I'm not sure why you are assuming that I'm not interested in seeing them or whatever.

oceane said:

The point I made was that I am not sure that playing 2-3 very old and obscure songs early in the set is the best way to get the crowd going, that's all.

There is a difference between what I, as a die-hard fan, would love to hear, and what songs are likely to set the whole crowd on fire.

I certainly don't expect to hear a 'certain set of songs' I'm not sure why you are assuming that I'm not interested in seeing them or whatever.

Well, my point again is ...
It doesn't matter what U2 songs are played ... the fans SHOULD
enjoy the concert performance ... "first and foremost" ... that is
the MOST important accomplishment that U2 MUST do during
their show. If U2 gives an "on-fire" performance ... then that's
going to please the fans ... no matter what setlist is played !!

The fact that there are Boy songs in their sets ... Well, I can only
justify that some fans don't know the older music ... and really
wouldn't care for those tunes ... so they're NOT going to be
"excited" over hearing them !! But truthfully, that is their loss
because the older classic tunes are definitely something that
most "long-time" fans would love to hear. Since most younger generation fans don't know the older classics ... well, that explains why U2 may not be getting their fans overly-excited
on some of the music. But I still believe that this is one of U2's
challenges on this tour ... I think they're trying to get the younger fans familiar with ALL of their music !! So, more power
to U2 ... for trying to take this on as well.

And lastly ... if you don't expect a certain set of songs ... then why comment on U2 ONLY ROTATING ONE of these Boy songs in
their setlists. We as fans ... do NOT have the right to pick and
choose what songs the band plays. Me myself ... am glad to hear
whatever U2 song they play ... and yes, there's U2 songs that I
don't like off HTDAAB ... but I'm not going to complain if they play them ... no matter how much I don't want to hear them. It seems
you did complain about the Boy tunes ... by saying they shouldn't play more than one per show. I figured if you didn't want to hear whatever the band plays then you should stay home and play whatever yourself. That's what I'm saying !! But if the crowd doesn't get rowdy on certain songs... Well, then that's the fan's
problem ... I think most fans get excited no matter what. They
did on the LA 1 show ... OMG ... that Staples Center audience
was in absolute oblivion ... loving EVERY minute of the concert.
Now, that's what the tour experience is all about anyway ... and the sooner all the fans realize this ... the more excitement will overall prevail !!

Vertigo is a letdown because of these variables:

1. Static Setlist

Save for a few Boy songs they interchange, their setlist has comprised the same songs so far. Changing the order in which these songs are played may change the mood of the show but in the end, the fans still get the same songs.

2. Too Many Notable Omissions and Filler Additions

Boy is probably in the bottom three of U2's worst selling albums. So why play as if they are trying to promote it? Back calatogue sales of Boy surely won't shoot up due to this tour. Why Electric Co when there is Out Of Control or I Will Follow? Why Bullet/Running when there is WOWY/ISHFWILF? Why Zoo Station when there is EBTTRT/MW? Too many fillers in the setlist will disappoint casual fans expecting to hear a certain hit. It's like a Puff Daddy fan going to a Sting concert only knowing Every Breath You Take and Sting not actually performing it. All these Boy songs are fascinating and intriguing at the start but the act is bound to get tiring as the tour progresses and fans will clamor for more hits.

3. Lack of Rehearsal / Preparation

Botched lyrics, missed beats, guitar tech problems have been pretty much standard for the first month of any U2 tour. But it seems they have added new things to their arsenal, such as singing in the wrong key, extremely delayed phrasing, and lack of "puch" (check the subtle Hallelujahs which are a stark contrast to the ones in the Zoo TV Era).

4. No Particular Theme To Differentiate Or Set It Apart From Previous Tours

U2 have tried to improve on every tour (take note of the word TRY because some argue they failed with Popmart but it's not for lack of trying). They stepped up the ante of the JT/Lovetown Tour with the multimedia extravaganza of Zoo TV. With Popmart, they made Zoo TV even bigger and the tour more ironic. They stripped down and went intimate for Elevation to serve as a very welcome contrast to Popmart. But what have they achieved with this tour to show that they at least TRIED to improve? It's basically and Elevation Tour part II with some African Awareness put in the mix, more botched lyrics, more offbeat offkey singing, no acoustic sets, less audience interaction, less stage antics, and a setlist of second-rate songs. Nothing stands out with the Vertigo Tour to set it apart.

So I agree with all the people who have been let down by the tour so far. Their concerns are valid.

Cheers,

J

Wow, that's a lot of emotion and passion and a lot of responses. To clear the air on my behalf since I started all of this...it is just a theory and I am not claiming anything else. Just an idea, just a thought, just wondering. Personally, I believe and agree pacing, voice issues, older songs vs new ones all of that aside, they are amazing regardless what they select from their songbook and what type of stage design they are performing against. I have seen Zoo TV, Popmart and ELevation and was incredibly moved every time whether holding onto Bono's waist as he leaned out over top of me during Elevation, watching the boys on the Zoo TV B stage or using binoculars to see them at the end of a football stadium. It is about the show, the mlusic, it is about the four men on the stage. I have read every review on U2Tours so far and I still would argue that many are not overly positive. Do I care so much that I am not going to attend shows? No, am I curious as to what everyone else thinks, yes. Am I seeing them this time around yes, one time. Am i one of those hardcore fans who feels she deserves extra whatever when it comes to tix? Yes, to a degree. i think some minor compensation/head start should be given to fans who do support the band through prop, u2.com and other means. Do I think casual fans suck and should not be able to get tix, NO. Do i think more casual/borderline "I'm here cause this is a major event and I want to see it but I only know a few tunes off of hte radio" fans will bbe present this first leg around...OH YES. Next US leg, I am predicting and promising, fan reaction will be better and the boys will hit their stride, that is if they don't find it before they leave Europe. Just my thoughts. Just my opinion. :wink:

xellente said:

If you read through most of these threads, the majority of 'dissapointment' is coming from fans who haven't even been to the shows. My suggestion if you haven't been (i know its tough..i did it on elevation tour) is stop reading everything that is being said here, dont listen to bootlegs of the shows and let the anticipation build. I promise it will 'Fresh'.

yes, but I don't get to see them until november.
there's no way I could not read these reviews and/or listen to boots.
and the only thing I've commented on is the inclusion of a few songs I'd rather not see; I'm sure the rest are fantastic.

however, I do agree with whoever said bono's voice is a concern; he's really holding back and you CAN tell this from the bootlegs.
as far as the stage design, etc. I couldn't care less.

Exactly who does a static setlist let down? It is either (1) the small percentage of U2's fanbase that compare the setlist night after night and critique the hell out of it, and/or (2) the small percentage (probably less than 10% of the fans in the arena each night) who actually see multiple shows on the tour.

Most people only see one show on the tour, I think that is a safe assumption to make. So even if U2 decides to play the same exact songs EVERY night, I can see that only affecting a small percentage of people. And not necessarily the 'real' fans, but whoever is willing to go to multiple shows and cities to see them play.

I can see people feeling that shows from this tour aren't as spectacular as shows from the last tour, simply because the last tour was so incredible. Sometimes you reach a point where there is so much hype and expectation that you simply cannot outdo yourself anymore. The word letdown to me is a pretty negative thing to say... I would think you would have to be pretty hard to please if you could go to a U2 concert and feel letdown afterwards.

I am not seeing U2 until September in Toronto... I can't see it being possible that it won't be one of the highlights of my year. I might not rank it ahead of their last tour... but it doesn't have to be better for me to not classify it as a 'letdown'.

13 cities in the first leg.

Buying tickets for a show 8 months in advance for the 3rd leg.

Admission to the heart compared to oval/egg/shelter.

U2 are no longer the 'underdog' they were on past tours/albums.

U2FP

Back
Top Bottom