Vertigo Leg 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I was just wondering, when U2 come back in November to play the Australia, NZ, Japan, and Hawaii dates will it be classified as Leg 5 of the Vertigo Tour, a continuation of Leg 4, or classified as a new mini-tour altogether?

Sorry, I know this is pretty pointless, but Im interested in this sort of stuff!

Also any remote chance U2 may play Hawaii in the Summer coz ill be there then!

Leg 4

I am actually wondering, however, whether this unfortunate event will spark a creative flow in the band - release a Zooropa like album, and continue the tour after the previously announced dates.

Or - even if they do not release a new album, I can see a Europe arena Leg 5.

Bono Said the full production would be coming in November so It will be still the "Vertigo tour".... i dont know what leg it will be called though 4th or 5th.

ouizy said:
Leg 4

I am actually wondering, however, whether this unfortunate event will spark a creative flow in the band - release a Zooropa like album, and continue the tour after the previously announced dates.

You would think the band will release something around that time to create a buzz. Not that U2 needs to do anything, but an EP of some sort would be nice.

For the people who haven't seen U2 yet and will now have to wait - will you be disappointed if it's not the Vertigo tour as we know it (ellipse/crab thing, light curtains, red and black)? Would you rather have them execute the show as planned, maybe changing the setlist or adding a new song if there is one, or would you prefer something way different?

04072511 said:
I was just wondering, when U2 come back in November to play the Australia, NZ, Japan, and Hawaii dates will it be classified as Leg 5 of the Vertigo Tour, a continuation of Leg 4, or classified as a new mini-tour altogether?

Sorry, I know this is pretty pointless, but Im interested in this sort of stuff!

Also any remote chance U2 may play Hawaii in the Summer coz ill be there then!

I was wondering the same thing (leg-wise) - don't think they will classify it as it's own mini-tour though. Because it spans two hemispheres where it will be different seasons at the same time, can't really call it Spring or Fall Leg 4 - confusing! And with eight months between the two parts it would seem a bit off to still call it Leg 4. Leg 5, I guess or call it the Arm and a Leg? ;-)

I think it will essentially be the same design but we might see a couple of new songs out it:drool:

of course after a 7 month absence it is possible that everyone will find the current setlist very fresh :D

zoopop said:

You would think the band will release something around that time to create a buzz. Not that U2 needs to do anything, but an EP of some sort would be nice.

Maybe the Outdoor DVD + U2 on IMAX shown on theatres?

I want a few indoor European warm-up shows...
Maybe they could do a few US Stadium shows too, get really warmed up :wink:

This unfortunate incident has thrown their pattern off course, and I think we may see some interesting results because of it... If they had done these 10 shows as planned, then that would have been it for at least 3 years... U2 like to tour on a wave of relevance, IMO there will at least be an EP...

ouizy said:
Leg 4

i was thinkin' that too... maybe even just an EP release and an extended tour after november, maybe back into europe or even america again.

zoopop said:

Now that would be :drool:
Coz by the time they play the postponed gigs , HTDAAB is already two years out.
I know by the time U2 played their Zoomerang dates back in `93 AB was also two years out but they released Zooropa inbetween so who knows what might happen?

Cheers ,

Mauwer

I would definitely call it leg 5, which it already could have been considered, since there was to have been a 2 week break between between Buenos Aires and Auckland, which is roughly the same amount of time they had between Boston last May and Brussels in June.

How can it all be considered the same tour leg now with an 8 month gap between the ending of the Mexican and South American dates and the show that will follow? In the early days they have much shorter time spans than this between the endings of tour and the beginning of the tour for their next album.

zoopop said:

Hamish Hamilton told me in Sao Paulo on February 20th that the Milan dvd will be coming out at the end of the year, which presumably means November, so it will already coincide with the dates planned for Australia.

ouizy said:

I'm guessing Edge has better things to do with the next few months.

DubbalinGirl said:

I'm guessing Edge has better things to do with the next few months.

1. If in fact it is the Edge who i sdealing with family issues.
2. I am not sure why or how they came up with a 7 month gap, but I am not sure this band has ever gone that long without doing something creatively.
3. I think it makes sense that we will see a release at the end of the year of something, and if the band is going to rally again to 'fionish' the tour - they may add more dates to make it economically viable for them to travel all this stuff and people around.

i am quite sure their business model has changed now that there will be a lag in the tour (i.e. - are they now having to put all that stuff into storage somewhere?)

Logistics have changed...

I am sure we will be surprised somehow when they come back to hit these dates...

Where is all this talk of an EP coming from? Unless a band member said something about it I dont see that happening at all. Presumably its Edge's daughter thats sick. There is a reason they postponed the dates, so he could be with his daughter. Not to record new material? :huh: Edge is also the springboard in the studio as well. So if he isnt there, no recording is happening. (they have been known to work on stuff with Bono absent)

They may in fact go into the studio at some point if the ill family member does improve. But most likely it will be to start rough work on what will be the next album (my guess is they will do nothing). With the health issues going on and the amount of time between I would seriously doubt any kind of new material will be coming out anytime in the next year (other than the Milan DVD as someone else mentioned).

To answer the thread topic. I would call it leg 5. Its definately not part of the Mexican/S. American leg any longer. Plus they will have to do rehearsal again. Anytime they have to do rehearsal, I would consider it a new leg. :shrug:

Here is something I just thought of, sorry to take this off topic again. But what they could do as far as a release is maybe a CD of the demo/raw versions of songs that were on the Complete U2 Ipod. Now THAT would be cool and wouldnt require any further activity by the band. Wont happen, but that would be about the only type of new album or EP I could see coming out. :shrug:

I dunno, my guess is the band will head into the studio for a few weeks during the break, prolly churn out 2-3 new songs, one of which will be very different from what we heard on HTDAAB. This experimental song will be released as the Leg 5 Single but will be a teaser for the album that u2 will go back to working on once the end of the Vertigo tour is over.

It's just a guess, but the idea that nothing will come out of the 7 month break seems unlikely.

DontExpect said:
It's just a guess, but the idea that nothing will come out of the 7 month break seems unlikely.

That doesn't seem unlikely at all...between the two songs of the best of 1990-2000 and the release HTDAAB was an empty gap of 2 years!

DontExpect said:
I dunno, my guess is the band will head into the studio for a few weeks during the break, prolly churn out 2-3 new songs, one of which will be very different from what we heard on HTDAAB. This experimental song will be released as the Leg 5 Single but will be a teaser for the album that u2 will go back to working on once the end of the Vertigo tour is over.

Do you have any basis for this? Or is this just wild speculation by everyone on this thread? The tour was postponed because a member needs to spend time with a sick family member. I just dont understand how that equates to a new release before the next leg is likely?

Did the band say something about this?

BANZAI said:

That doesn't seem unlikely at all...between the two songs of the best of 1990-2000 and the release HTDAAB was an empty gap of 2 years!

The diff though is that they were on full break then...here they have to keep their musical juices on a simmer for 7-8 months so they can go back to a full boil for a month, a couple of new tunes isn't out of the question...

I would assume they do preliminary work on the next album and that this work will be interrupted by the remaining tour dates to end the year, similar to how in 1986, the recording of The Joshua Tree was interrupted to allow the band to go on the 2 week Amnesty International Conspiracy Of Hope tour.

After a break over the holidays, I assume that they can get back to work on the next album. I highly doubt any new material will come out to coincide with the late 2006 dates, though I really like Blue Room's idea of releasing the Itunes songs on a proper album.

The Milan dvd release should coincide with the November tour dates and if they are still on track for the September release of the book U2 By U2, that will be a second product on the market at that time.

If they really want to make it up to the places with the delayed concerts, they could have instore signings of the book or the dvd, giving fans a chance to meet and get signed by the band outside of waiting before and after shows at the venue or at the hotel. It would be a nice PR gesture, but that's unlikely to happen, since the last time they did an instore was in 1987 for The Joshua Tree in Belfast.

John Sampson told people outside Staples Center before the show on November 1st that Bono was househunting in Malibu. If he does/did buy a house there, that puts the 2 real songwriting forces of the band together in a place where Edge spends a lot of his time.

Last edited:
:scratch:

Ok, I guess an new album/EP is on the way then?! :huh: Like I said, what started this anyway? Just fans speculating?

I think alot of you in this thread are in for a MAJOR disappointment. The other thing I dont understand is how/why some of you are saying they have 7 to 8 months of time to work on it. :scratch: If they had that spare time to do stuff, why not just continue the tour? The whole point of the postponement is so the band member can spend time with the ill family member. How does that translate to spare time? Also, what would be the point (from a marketing and business perspective) of releasing a single only as someone mentioned? They dont even release singles in the United States any longer and that is the biggest and most lucrative market. Unless it was tied to a movie soundtrack or something. But a stand alone single with no album I just dont see happening. The last time they did that was 1982, I dont see it happening again. :shrug:

EDIT: to add, I'm responding to the thread in general to those that seem to think new material is almost foregone conclusion.

Last edited:
I"m with the Dubbalin Girl. this time off isn't for a creative break. at all. sure we'd all like this to pretend to be zooropaesque. it isn't. if they end up playing in November, which i certainly hope they do, it will probably be some of the first work the band puts together, together, in that time.

let them take care of theirs. they will stun with great shows when it is on their time.

Halup said:
After a break over the holidays, I assume that they can get back to work on the next album. I highly doubt any new material will come out to coincide with the late 2006 dates, though I really like Blue Room's idea of releasing the Itunes songs on a proper album.

This confuses me. Holidays? They aren't on holidays, there is a very real and serious reason why the tour was postponed that is far more important than anything musically. Why anyone expects them to return with a new album during this period is beyond me.

cdparky said:

This confuses me. Holidays? They aren't on holidays, there is a very real and serious reason why the tour was postponed that is far more important than anything musically. Why anyone expects them to return with a new album during this period is beyond me.

The holidays he is refering to I think are the 2006/7 Christmas/New Year period after the concerts in November.

ouizy said:

2. I am not sure why or how they came up with a 7 month gap, but I am not sure this band has ever gone that long without doing something creatively.

i am quite sure their business model has changed now that there will be a lag in the tour (i.e. - are they now having to put all that stuff into storage somewhere?)

The gap is due to the venues being unavailable until the end of September due to Aussie Rules Football and Rugby.

The stage and other equipment is in storage in Sydney, where most had arrived before the postponement.

In regards to something coming out before the rescheduled dates - we live in hope! I personally would like something like Zooropa, or a CD of rare stuff ("A Celebration" please!!)

timothius said:

The holidays he is refering to I think are the 2006/7 Christmas/New Year period after the concerts in November.

That's exactly what I meant: U2 can work from say mid 2006 til october this year doing preliminary work for the album, do the shows in November, then take off for Christmas and New Years, the holdays I was referring to, then begin work on the album again in early 2007.

I was reading how Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson are interested in having U2 do the theme song for the next James Bond movie which is due out in November, so if they do this, then they certainly can have a new single out which will coincide with the November tour dates, but it will be really just a coinicidence that they would be releasing a new single at the same time as playing the make-up shows. That said, it would give them the chance to introduce a brand new song into the set. We'll have to see if they take the Bond producers up on their offer.

Back
Top Bottom