Vertigo = Elevation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neilz

War Child
This is my first post on the Interference Forum, but I am a fan since '92 and regular visitor of Interference since the beginning..

I have experienced all of U2's tours personally: Zoo-TV indoors, Zooropa, Popmart, Elevation with Vertigo next.. Of course I have many DVD and CD bootlegs of the previous tours aswell and know what I am talking about.. So I am curious about what you guys think of this :

Vertigo = Elevation!

From what I've seen so far The Vertigo stage/production is very similar to the Elevation production.. This is very strange for U2 being a very innovative band! I hear everyone saying; "why change it.. Elevation was awesome", but that's not the point! Zooropa was great too, but U2 don't want to repeat themselves so they came up with Popmart and after that the more intemate Elevation..

But what is innovative and new about Vertigo? It just looks too much the same.. And I'm having a really bad feeling about this! I really hoped for a centre stage setup as this would truely be fresh and new as what we are used to from U2... Elevation was in no way similar to Zoo-TV or Lovetown, so why make Vertigo so much alike to Elevation.....

Also I would like to share my thoughts of why they are doing arena's in the US and stadium's in Europe... This has one reason only and it's called General Admission!

In the US you can't do stadium gig's with GA. I read an article once during Popmart where Bono said something about being sick of smelling the popcorn of rich lawyers in the front seats.. So therefor U2 did arena's during the Elevation tour so that every show had GA... This tour I have the feeling that U2 wanted to play stadium's again, but are making the exception for the US since they don't like playing stadium's there...

Resulting in 2 different shows this time around... Maybe my opinion will change when I've seen the European dates, of maybe even when more pictures of San Diego surface... But for now, I am slightly disappointed about the tour...

if i'm not mistaken, lovetown had similarities to the tour before it, popmart had similarities to zoo tv, and in that same sense, vertigo has similiarities to elevation

bcrt2000 said:
if i'm not mistaken, lovetown had similarities to the tour before it, popmart had similarities to zoo tv, and in that same sense, vertigo has similiarities to elevation
I don't agree... Maybe Lovetown... But that tour was after the outdoor Joshua Tree tour... And Popmart looked nothing like Zoo-TV...

U2 has never done 2 consecutive tours which have só much similarities as Vertigo and Elevations do!
bono_man2002 said:
So the staging is sort of the same......Its the sound coming off the stage is what matters.
Of course! But with these ticketprices you háve to offer your audience a good visual show aswell... U2 have stated this many times themselves! Especially when their coming to Europe for the stadium shows....

Maybe it's time to dream it all up... again...

Last edited:
yes everyone knows u2 are repeating themselfs!!!!!!!!!!!

they just took the heart and twisted it into an egg shape wow!!!!!!!!!!!

but one good thing came out of the elevation tour oops vertigo tour that is the set list!!!!!!!!

maby they do not have enough $$$ to put another pop or zootv like rock show!!!

bono_man2002 said:
So the staging is sort of the same......Its the sound coming off the stage is what matters.

I agree. If they do rotating setlists(which does not equal Elevation or any other tour, for that matter), I don't care if they play on a bench.

shaun vox said:
yes everyone knows u2 are repeating themselfs!!!!!!!!!!!

they just took the heart and twisted it into an egg shape wow!!!!!!!!!!!

but one good thing came out of the elevation tour oops vertigo tour that is the set list!!!!!!!!

maby they do not have enough $$$ to put another pop or zootv like rock show!!!
Just the type of reaction I was expecting...

U2 should nót be repeating themselfs! That's my point!

And about them not having enough $$$ to put together a good show is just a load of crap! I'm not demanding Pop or Zoo stuff! I'm demanding innovation! And this doesn't necessarly need to cost a lot of money! And then again... They dó have the money...

But the rotating setlists are great of course... But that's not what I'm talking about...

Last edited:
oh the $$$$$$$$ thing was a joke :wink:

im looking at some pics and it looks exactly like the elevation pics !!!!!!!! especially when bano is lying on the ramp!!!!!!!!

rileybug said:
If you haven't even seen the show yet, how can you be disappointed already?
Because I have seen many U2 tours live, but also many pictures of the premiere of these new shows... And somehow they always match up...

And I don't know what you're suggesting I am disappointed about... But I am only disappointed in the fact that this new show is nót as groundbreaking as we are used to from U2... They are really repeating themselves...

The shows will be great.. No doubt there..

well, i just got back from the show.. and i'll say this for sure.. it is no elevation.
are there similarities? of course.
But this had bits of so much from so many of their tours that it isn't even possible to lump it as elevation 2 in my opinion. it is its own beast, and i'm sure it will evolve even more by the 3rd leg.

BoomCha~sm said:
well, i just got back from the show.. and i'll say this for sure.. it is no elevation.
are there similarities? of course.
But this had bits of so much from so many of their tours that it isn't even possible to lump it as elevation 2 in my opinion. it is its own beast, and i'm sure it will evolve even more by the 3rd leg.
Of course I am willing to believe you... As you have seen the show with your own eyes... But you must admit... The pictures as appeared on the net don't lie... The similarities to Elevation are véry abvious...

It's the whole story about repeating, starting with A-Bomb and previous album(s)...
And what's the worst, I agree. I really don't know what happened to U2: they stayed strong on the words, but when it comes to reality.. :madspit:
:(

I'm just glad I'll be on one show... It's my first so I cannot be the same feeling.

I just got back from the show. Nice of you to post what the tour is like without even going to the show Neilz. Good one. This show had a totally different feeling to me than Elevation did. Maybe it would be a good idea to wait until you've actually been to a show before letting us all know what it's like. It certainly was not Elevation all over again for me.

cuneatus2 said:
I just got back from the show. Nice of you to post what the tour is like without even going to the show Neilz. Good one. This show had a totally different feeling to me than Elevation did. Maybe it would be a good idea to wait until you've actually been to a show before letting us all know what it's like. It certainly was not Elevation all over again for me.
Don't come up to me with these reactions! You are telling the Europeans to hold their oppinions until the European leg? You must be joking!

I Explained this about 3 times already in this post, but OK... One more time for you :

Because I have seen many U2 tours live, but also many pictures of the premiere of these new shows... And somehow they always match up...

And the pictures I have seen so far are identical to Elevation... Sorry to break it to you...

Neilz said:

Don't come up to me with these reactions! You are telling the Europeans to hold their oppinions until the European leg? You must be joking!

I Explained this about 3 times already in this post, but OK... One more time for you :

And the pictures I have seen so far are identical to Elevation... Sorry to break it to you...

HUH????????? I'm going to bed.

Someone here talked about the possibility of rotating setlists.
I would be extremely surprised if that was to be the case.
Edge, after the show last night, talked about working out a "flow" for the concert. Which songs would connect etc.
That is to me the message that nothing has changed: It will be a rigid setlist.
And it's ok - it's actually more than ok.
It's just not as fun as a rotating setlist.
About the photos feeling similar to Elevation tour, I agree.
But some of this also comes down to Bono: Is anyone here expecting him to act in a totally different way compared to the last tours? I mean, that's just not an option, so when we see these pictures, and they remind us of the last tour, then maybe it's more about Bono's "style" of body language.
He has been kissing and kicking camera lenses the last 13 years.

quasi1970 said:

HUH????????? I'm going to bed.
Well sorry, but everyone is allowed to have an opinion not? Only people who went to the show yesterday are allowed to speak now? Come on!

I explained in a good way why I have this opnion about this current tour, and you are telling me to shut up and wait until I actually see the show :?

im actuall kind of happy that u2 have done nothing new with this vertigo tour! think about it does HTDAAB need a big in youe face rock show! the answer is no the tour is representing the new album htdaab/ its a simple album with a simple tour!

Neilz said:

I think they are using a simular set because its simple, yet bloody affective. I was actually hoping that they would do a simular set, saying that, I did see Zoo TV and Popmart, but I missed Elevation.
At the end of the day though, what matters is the set list, and the performance i.m.o. Im going to see them at Twickenham, and my only major concern is Bono's voice. Im praying that its in shape!!

I believe the only similarity I saw was the shape of the stage. But the lighting affect is much better than the elevation tour and completley different. It was amazing!!!!!!!!! Visual and Musical art at its best I was kinda looking for a different stage set up but when the show started it took off into a different direction than the elevation tour. Dont worry Neilz You won't be disappointed oh by the way "love and peace" was to :drool: for!!!!!!!

When I look at these NEW @u2 photo's... I still have a Elevation feeling...

Although these pictures are much better and the show 'feels' great to me...

Love the screens in the back that are able to rise and lower (they are fixed between the spotlights)

I thought the show was VERY much like Elevation....it's identical in every way except for the curtain (and I hated that).

I think the curtain experience is all going to depend on what angle you have to view it and I think for the majority...it will not be a good reaction.

I was just strange to see Bono on that (basically) same stage...and it was like he was consciously trying not to make the same gestures that he made on the Elevation tour. The music and the band sounded great but I really thought the repeat design was very much a distraction.

I agree with Neilz.

What made U2 special was kind of an attitude of never repeating themselves. And addmit it! This Vertigo Tour at least in arenas seems like Elevation Tour... a LOT!

The clothes, the video screens above the stage, the "egg", the attitude, the poses, the stage itself are the same as 4 years ago.

And please don't say that Pop Mart was Zoo TV second part!
Because if you say so, it's obvious you don't have a clue what you are saying. The only similarity was... the big stage. It was in fact the only similarity.
Everything was different. Clothes, attitude, stage, the poses, etc were all different.

And it's really a shame that, at least in arenas, Vertigo Tour is very similar to Elevation Tour.
I just want something different, something coherent with U2's phylosophy.

Having seen the pictures, I am disgusted they are using the same band members and instruments, as well as some lights and microphones and speakers. How dare they. Where is the innovation... you look at every other tour, there are still these same four people and instruments and so on.

It is a disgrace.

amniar said:
Having seen the pictures, I am disgusted they are using the same band members and instruments, as well as some lights and microphones and speakers. How dare they. Where is the innovation... you look at every other tour, there are still these same four people and instruments and so on.

It is a disgrace.

Yeah, they've been using that Bono guy as their lead singer for over 25 years. :tsk: Where's this innovation and change they always harp on about? :rolleyes:

I HAIT U2 NOW!!!1!!!@!@1@1@>2 :madspit:

amniar said:

It is a disgrace.

Please take the dust from your eyes, and see the evidence.
Your irony doesn't help your argument to be honest. what argument, by the way?

Last edited:
Neilz said:
This is my first post on the Interference Forum, but I am a fan since '92 and regular visitor of Interference since the beginning..

Vertigo = Elevation!

Welcome to the forum.

And hey - thanks for making your first post a complaint. :rolleyes:

Now that my bitching is done...

I'm not sure why everyone is so stunned here. For months now there's been discussion that instead of a heart ramp stage, it'll be more of an oval. And indeed, that's what it is - yet everyone now seems surprised! Weren't you all prepared for that ONE similarity? It could be a triangle, a circle, a diamond, or whatever, this aspect would naturally bring about similarities to the heart from the last tour. This shouldn't have surprised anyone.

Now that this has been said - have you actually SEEN the show? Have you seen the lights? Have you seen the clothes? Have you heard the setlist? The only people who can talk about this are those who were at last night's show (and if you went to the rehearsal, good for you, but a rehearsal is just that - it's not the actual show). Until you see the show, you don't really know all the similarities.

Lastly, almost all the tours in the 80's were exactly the same. The backdrop might be different. Instead of having a face of the boy on the "War" album, it might be an image of a Joshua tree. But other than that, the stage design was the same. What changed was the appearance of the band (and even then, there were similarities - Bono probably changed the most) and, more importantly, the song list.

In the 90's, PopMart was even reminiscent of ZOO TV. For example, both tours had tons of props - instead of cars, there was a lemon. Instead of many TV's, there was one GIANT TV.

To me, the biggest differences in the tours were from the 80's tours to ZOO TV and from PopMart to Elevation. So in all their years of touring, U2 really has had dramatic stage changes only twice. Hence, your complaint seems rather unfounded.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom