Vertigo DVD: Continuity Errors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffschmid

The Fly
U2 Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago
A Comprehensive Guide to Continuity Errors

o – obvious continuity error
q – very questionable cut

0:01:10 (q) – Notice how Edge’s back is hardly lit. In the next shot we discover that the flood lights behind Edge are already on (with the flood lights on, his back should look more like it does at 0:01:37).

0:01:12 (o) – There is a glitch in the light curtains. This glitch will only appear in about half of the shots where it should appear in City of Blinding Lights.

0:01:58 (q) – It appears there are only five flood lights lit instead of the usual six.

0:05:20 (o) – A new glitch in the light curtains, the curtain second from the right, appears in this shot. This glitch does not appear in the majority of the shots in City of Blinding Lights.

0:07:04 (q) – Bono is suddenly on his knees with his arms in the air when he was still standing in the shot a couple seconds earlier. The only way this is possible is if he dropped to his knees very quickly and flung his arms into the air. In reality, he likely performed these actions much slower.

0:07:47 (o) – The glitch in the middle light curtain does appear for the majority of Vertigo. However, in most of the shots taken from a distance, such as this one, the glitch does not appear.

0:09:43 (o) – The curtain lights are suddenly blue when in the previous shot they are still red. In reality they actually fade into this blue color.

0:10:38 (o) – The curtain lights are still even though we saw them begin to rise in the previous shot.

0:11:50 (o) – The Edge appears at his mic stand using his wah wah pedal and a new guitar for the intro of Elevation. Two seconds earlier he was standing at the side of the stage still holding his Vertigo guitar (exchanging it). The sound is also way off here as we hear him starting to play, using his wah wah pedal, about one second after we see him still holding his other guitar, and still nowhere near his wah wah pedal. Also notice how Bono is moving from the back of the ellipse towards the front when he should still be walking from the front of the ellipse towards the back.

0:12:02 (q) – The sound does not reflect how quickly Bono moves the mic away from his mouth.

0:13:16 (q) – Bono’s mouth does something completely different from what we hear.

0:13:25 (q) – Look how happy Larry is! What’s with that! (jj of course)

0:13:47 (q) – I don’t think Bono is singing in this shot, but we still hear his voice.

0:13:52 (o) – Bono is nowhere near his mic stand, and is clearly not singing, but we hear his voice.

0:14:46 (q) – There are some UFOs on the screen. The UFOs only appear in a few of the shots in Elevation.

0:17:54 (q) – It looks like Bono has just placed his mic stand on the right side of his guitar amp. A few seconds later, we see the mic stand directly in front of his guitar amp, towards the left side of it.

0:18:49 (o) – In this shot the screen with the boy’s face has not come down properly and none of his chin is visible like it is in most of the other shots in The Electric Co.

0:23:21 (o) – Bono’s mic is on it’s stand. Bono is holding his mic immediately before and after this shot.

0:29:57 (o) – Bono’s mic is not yet at his mouth when he starts to deliver the line “and the reason that you had to care”. Also his lips do not sync with his voice on this line.

0:44:33 (q) – The green lights in the background have disappeared. There are a few shots like this.

1:01:21 (q) – The Irish flag is no longer on the monitor where Bono placed it a minute earlier. It could have been removed by the crew however.

1:03:37 (o) – Bono begins singing his line “from a firefly” before the mic has arrived at his mouth.

1:04:34 (q) – Bono is way too far from his mic stand for his “woohoohoo” to come through this clearly.

1:05:16 (q) – It looks like the light curtains are still coming down, even though we saw them all the way down five seconds earlier.

1:05:30 (o) – Another glitch in the light curtain. The glitch does not appear for most of Bullet the Blue Sky.

1:05:43 (o) – The light curtains begin to move up.
1:05:46 (o) – The light curtains are all the way down and not moving.
1:05:50 (o) – The light curtains are about six feet up and moving.
1:05:55 (o) – The light curtains are all the way down and not moving.
1:06:06 (o) – The light curtains are seen behind Edge and not moving. The light curtains do not appear again after this, and are completely gone nine seconds after we see them behind Edge.

1:16:57 (o) – The crowd lighting changes from blue to red suddenly. In reality you would easily be able to see that many lights change colors.

1:17:08 (q) – The crowd is blue again, although we just saw them magically become red.

1:18:39 (q) – We see Bono say “everyone” but we hear nothing. Either a terrible edit or Bono is actually mouthing the word.

1:19:27 (q) – The blue lights which are lighting Bono all disappear suddenly. Looks like they switched nights right here.

1:22:11 (o) – Bono’s lips are completely out of synch with his voice for the line “burning down love”.

1:23:03 (q) – Watch Edge move to his mic stand. He is still moving at this point, and one second later he is there singing harmony, standing with his legs together.

1:23:24 (o) – Ellipse catwalk lights are blue. They had been red, and are red for the rest of the song.

1:31:24 (o) – The balcony lights are seen behind Edge. They are not on directly before or after this clip. This is the only time they are on in One.

1:37:48 (o) – Light curtains are way high up even though we’ve already seen them a couple feet from the stage.

1:38:05 (o) – Light curtains arrive at stage for the second time, they already did once at 1:37:41.

1:38:51 (o) – The balcony lights are not on in this shot, but they are immediately before and after this shot, and for the whole of Zoo Station. This happens a few times.

1:39:17 (o) – Bono’s lips are out of sync with his voice.

1:40:34 (o) – We hear Edge singing “zoo station” but... he’s not.

1:40:46 (o) – Wow. We hear Bono singing “gonna be there”, but he is walking around holding his mic by his side.

1:40:51 (o) – We get a good look at a light curtain glitch that wasn’t there before. It’s gone a couple seconds later by the way.

1:41:14 – Start watching the DVD here.

1:46:33 – Go find something better to do.

1:47:36 (q) – It really doesn’t look like Edge’s guitar playing matches the audio in this section...

2:14:05 (o) – Larry’s drumming is totally out of synch with the audio. Nice way to end the DVD...

jeffschmid said:
1:05:30 (o) – Another glitch in the light curtain. The glitch does not appear for most of Bullet the Blue Sky.

1:05:43 (o) – The light curtains begin to move up.
1:05:46 (o) – The light curtains are all the way down and not moving.
1:05:50 (o) – The light curtains are about six feet up and moving.
1:05:55 (o) – The light curtains are all the way down and not moving.
1:06:06 (o) – The light curtains are seen behind Edge and not moving. The light curtains do not appear again after this, and are completely gone nine seconds after we see them behind Edge.

yeah the solo during Bullet is just embarrassing

:| are people really going to spend a good portion of the day critising the DVD? i just watched it again, and once again found it amazing,

and i still cannot see where the error is in 40, everything appers to by in sycn on my disk at least

jeffschmid said:

1:18:39 (q) – We see Bono say “everyone” but we hear nothing. Either a terrible edit or Bono is actually mouthing the word.

Even without having seen the DVD, I'll go on record as saying I rather doubt that there were any bad or "terrible" edits in the program.

Hamish and his editor took the material he shot and made creative decisions. They likely wallpapered some stuff, piecing together the best sound and pictures they had available.

It a good post detailing that you can pay the director as much as you like, but he can still screw up in the editing - bootleggers on this board could do ten times a better job because they have more passion for the details.

But I don't think I could have noticed every detail that jeffschmid
has.

Good for the trivia buffs among us ;)

thank you u2mixer. film and music are my passion, so naturally i am a music dvd NUT.

so when i watched the dvd this morning, i just wrote down what i saw. i did this to emphasize the point that they should film 2 or 3 concerts, and release the best one. not cut things together all the time. the audio is the same way. it shouldnt be so tinkered with.

i was really hoping u2 would take things to the next level with this dvd, but they really didnt. there are bands who release dvds that actually look and sound like actual concerts, and those dvds are amazing. iron maiden - rock in rio is one that comes to mind. i think some songs on elevation boston sound live, much more live than this dvd sounds. anyways...

jeffschmid said:
thank you u2mixer. film and music are my passion, so naturally i am a music dvd NUT.

so when i watched the dvd this morning, i just wrote down what i saw. i did this to emphasize the point that they should film 2 or 3 concerts, and release the best one. not cut things together all the time. the audio is the same way. it shouldnt be so tinkered with.

i was really hoping u2 would take things to the next level with this dvd, but they really didnt. there are bands who release dvds that actually look and sound like actual concerts, and those dvds are amazing. iron maiden - rock in rio is one that comes to mind. i think some songs on elevation boston sound live, much more live than this dvd sounds. anyways...
but you are starting to express your opinion as a fact, and that the people that do find the dvd to be amazing are wrong:|

your mentioning all these mistakes, but as mentioned elswhere, during the boston DVD, did you never notice edges guitar changing colour?

all i said about boston is that some of the songs sound more live than this dvd. and no, im not gonna say imo everytime i say something.

jeffschmid said:
all i said about boston is that some of the songs sound more live than this dvd. and no, im not gonna say imo everytime i say something.
fair enough

KUEFC09U2 said:
fair enough

Don't worry about it. No matter how amazing a DVD may be, people just want to complain. It gives their life meaning or something. I don't see what the purpose is besides to make yourself seem like you are the greatest DVD maker in the world and deserve to be the big cheese on all future concert releases from now on. Other than that, it really is just a bunch of whiners who didn't get the DVD they wanted. I know I enjoyed it, you seem to have enjoyed it, so don't let the bastards grind you down. :wink: It's super great and worth every penny, and I liXes that alot! The DVD is amazing, it's the best recorded concert evar in the history of muzik and that's a fact! In my opinion.

DVD=Outstanding! and that's so nice!

catlhere said:

Don't worry about it. No matter how amazing a DVD may be, people just want to complain. It gives their life meaning or something. I don't see what the purpose is besides to make yourself seem like you are the greatest DVD maker in the world and deserve to be the big cheese on all future concert releases from now on. Other than that, it really is just a bunch of whiners who didn't get the DVD they wanted. I know I enjoyed it, you seem to have enjoyed it, so don't let the bastards grind you down. :wink: It's super great and worth every penny, and I liXes that alot! The DVD is amazing, it's the best recorded concert evar in the history of muzik and that's a fact! In my opinion.

DVD=Outstanding! and that's so nice!

this dvd is far from amazing, sorry, im sure the concert itself was amazing, but the dvd is far from amazing.

jeffschmid said:

this dvd is far from amazing, sorry, im sure the concert itself was amazing, but the dvd is far from amazing. In my opinion, that isn't fact

FiXe'd

another thing (this is more of an Edge freak thing): for Zoo Station, in one shot you see the back of the Edge's guitar has a big "1" on it, and a few seconds later it has a "2" on it. . . this is because Edge has 2 of that guitar, and i guess Dallas stuck the numbers back there to keep track. i woulnd't think he'd change from 1 to 2 on different nights though :eyebrow:

discothequeLP said:
another thing (this is more of an Edge freak thing): for Zoo Station, in one shot you see the back of the Edge's guitar has a big "1" on it, and a few seconds later it has a "2" on it. . . this is because Edge has 2 of that guitar, and i guess Dallas stuck the numbers back there to keep track. i woulnd't think he'd change from 1 to 2 on different nights though :eyebrow:
Edge is still a genius, after the color-changing guitar in the Boston DVD durin Gone he's now using number-changing guitars in the Chicago DVD.

What a man :drool:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
this proves two things

1) hammish does not do a good job

2) you have no life :wink:

Lol

My main criticism of the DVD is that apart from the people in the ellipse, the crowd had about as much passion as a breze block.

Damn, you're anoying.
Imagine yourselves as the director of dvd. You'd make more mistakes than Hamish just because you'd be drooling over u2.

Also, at times the band memebers appear to be only inches tall.

Everyone knows that all four lads are at least four feet tall.

Seriously, technology and instant communication ruins rock and roll.

Oh, yeah. Has anyone seen the Snow Patrol concert video? Talk about horrible. If you have problems with hyper editing, stay clear of that steaming pile.

Wow I wish I had so much time as others have...

I don't understand all this complaining. In my humble opinion the dvd is amazing. The mistakes don't bother me because I don't LOOK for the mistakes and for things to complain about.

All I know is that I've shown the dvd to a LOT of people already(I'm a teacher and I've shown the dvd to all my students cuz I'm in the dvd a few times), and the vast majority have talked about how awesome it looks. These are totally non-u2 fans, but they've been convinced enough to the point where I've been getting a lot of "Mr. K, when you gonna let me borrow your dvd?"

Back
Top Bottom