Vertigo DVD: Continuity Errors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pero said:
Damn, you're anoying.
Imagine yourselves as the director of dvd. You'd make more mistakes than Hamish just because you'd be drooling over u2.

my dvd wouldnt have any mistakes. i wouldnt include clips from both nights and all my clips would be real time.

ImOuttaControl said:

mistakes don't bother me because I don't LOOK for the mistakes and for things to complain about.

most of this stuff i noticed the first time i watched the dvd, when i was thinking it was gonna be amazing. and i decided i saw so many things, i should make a list.

ImOuttaControl said:
Wow I wish I had so much time as others have...

I don't understand all this complaining. In my humble opinion the dvd is amazing. The mistakes don't bother me because I don't LOOK for the mistakes and for things to complain about.

All I know is that I've shown the dvd to a LOT of people already(I'm a teacher and I've shown the dvd to all my students cuz I'm in the dvd a few times), and the vast majority have talked about how awesome it looks. These are totally non-u2 fans, but they've been convinced enough to the point where I've been getting a lot of "Mr. K, when you gonna let me borrow your dvd?"

Quick, leave before you bring a good opinion of the DVD to this forum. :no:

I actually prefer an actual concert, warts and all, to a spliced version. (this applies to any concert video, not just U2) I doubt I'd watch any concert dvd much (I find it hard watch TV for that long), but when I do watch I want it to have as much of an actual concert feel as possible.

jeffschmid said:

most of this stuff i noticed the first time i watched the dvd, when i was thinking it was gonna be amazing. and i decided i saw so many things, i should make a list.

i friggin agree! they were so obvious. [i didn't make a list, though.]

i think the dvd could've been better, but i'm still grateful to hamish and u2.

I’m going to give the director a break on this one, what we got was probably the best of the source material he had to work with. He’s limited to only two dates and I assume that he went into the project with the intention of not screwing things up. I would have preferred a proper documentary after the tour featuring the highlights of the various legs but it seems that U2s management was hell bent on getting this out in time for the holidays. If you’re looking for good concert footage without the director insinuating his style into every shot there are a few excellent fan made DVDs out there.

Gen. Chat said:
I’m going to give the director a break on this one, what we got was probably the best of the source material he had to work with. He’s limited to only two dates and I assume that he went into the project with the intention of not screwing things up. I would have preferred a proper documentary after the tour featuring the highlights of the various legs but it seems that U2s management was hell bent on getting this out in time for the holidays. If you’re looking for good concert footage without the director insinuating his style into every shot there are a few excellent fan made DVDs out there.

while we're on this topic, what are some of the best dvd torrents from the arena shows? i only have audio ones so far... thanks

ImOuttaControl said:

I don't understand all this complaining. In my humble opinion the dvd is amazing. The mistakes don't bother me because I don't LOOK for the mistakes and for things to complain about.

Hey, I wasn't looking for errors in the DVD either...but the thing is, they're so blatant that you can't help but feel Hamish Hamilton does terrible editing. I mean, that error with The Edge singing but not singing in Zoo Station is on a fucking close up of his face! If it was on a far off shot, then maybe it would be okay. But on a close up! That's just unacceptable. The band were great, but the editing is just too sloppy for words. U2 deserve better than this.

i want to clarify that most of the things on my list, i noticed the first time i watched the dvd, without trying to notice them. it's not like i bought the dvd, popped it in the player and was like "allright... let's see how bad they screwed up this one!!!"... i was actually really excited about this dvd, and i didnt think there would be mistakes, cuz there's no reason for it. but after watching it and noticing how many things did not gel, i made a list the next time i watched it.

neutral said:

Please watch your language and tone. There's no need to be so rude (and it against our forum rules.)

I'm sorry but I think there is. I am so sick of people nit picking this band to death. People here are so critical about this great band. Shut Up! With the music of today we are so blessed to have a band like this. In fact we are just blessed to have a band like this considering how long they have been around. So you can say I suck I don't care. At least I have my priorities straight and I spend my time being constructive. When you can accomplish the things they have then I think you can have room to talk until then kiss it!!!!

gherman said:

I'm sorry but I think there is. I am so sick of people nit picking this band to death. People here are so critical about this great band. Shut Up! With the music of today we are so blessed to have a band like this. In fact we are just blessed to have a band like this considering how long they have been around. So you can say I suck I don't care. At least I have my priorities straight and I spend my time being constructive. When you can accomplish the things they have then I think you can have room to talk until then kiss it!!!!

I was under the impression that everyone in this thread is criticising the director, not the band. It's not U2's fault that there are glaring errors in this latest DVD, it's the editor's fault. The band themselves put off great performances during the shooting of the DVD.

And come on, even you have to admit that it's a little senseless to splice those two shows together and not even make sure that your shots of the band correspond to the audio. Some of the errors made in terms of band members not appearing to be singing when they're supposed to, light curtains doing strange things, etc, are downright embarrassing. Even if you're not looking for them, they're so bloody obvious.

Don't get me wrong, Hamish did some great things with the show. I love those spiral shots above the band, and the guitar nerd within me loves it that you can see how The Edge operates everything up there. There are some lovely moments on it. Love And Peace Or Else was shot spectacularly.

It's just those stupid errors that sour it slightly.

GibsonGirl said:

I was under the impression that everyone in this thread is criticising the director, not the band. It's not U2's fault that there are glaring errors in this latest DVD, it's the editor's fault. The band themselves put off great performances during the shooting of the DVD.

And come on, even you have to admit that it's a little senseless to splice those two shows together and not even make sure that your shots of the band correspond to the audio. Some of the errors made in terms of band members not appearing to be singing when they're supposed to, light curtains doing strange things, etc, are downright embarrassing. Even if you're not looking for them, they're so bloody obvious.

Don't get me wrong, Hamish did some great things with the show. I love those spiral shots above the band, and the guitar nerd within me loves it that you can see how The Edge operates everything up there. There are some lovely moments on it. Love And Peace Or Else was shot spectacularly.

It's just those stupid errors that sour it slightly.

You are right. I personally love the DVD though. There are missfires in it but I just don't notice them and I don't let them get to me. I am just so pissed off about the constant bashing of U2 and what they put out lately. It is just really getting to me. The problem is that I visit sites like this too much. If I would just stay home and listen to the music I would be much happier.

Back
Top Bottom