Vertigo 2006 // Tour In Recap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Well, two more days until the end of the tour... it will all end in Hawaii.

It certainly has been an interesting tour, with a lot of great surprises. Things have been good, and bad as well. I'd like to post about what made this tour great, by starting off with my first U2 show, in Minneapolis 9-23-05.

Though the band had come off from the 2nd leg of European shows (literally a few weeks) the setlists would indefinitely change. Minneapolis saw 'Miracle Drug' before it was dropped permanently, as well as 'Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses', most noticably, what made the show great was;

The Electric Co.
The Ocean
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Miss Sarajevo
The First Time
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

And the first ever premiere of CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE. 'Crumbs' had been dubbed as U2's most important song ever written, but still to this day -- why was Minneapolis chosen? Was it the crowd, if so Milan could have got Crumbs. The band chose to close the show with a second version of 'Vertigo' in which Bono yells...

"ENCORE, IT'S ITALIAN FOR PLAYING THE SAME SONG TWICE!"

After the end of Vertigo X2, Bono tells the crowd "Goodnight, go to sleep"

More memorable lines from that show...

"We asked Edge what the future was like, and Edge said... It's better!"

"How many of you have been to Dublin? (cheers), You're all liars!"

In some shows that I've seen from the 3rd leg, Bono doesn't turn the mic over on "Still Haven't Found" the audience isn't involved heavily... Minneapolis was. Then when "Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" came, the audience was dancing and singing -- a long lost gem, and the crowd sang louder than Bono..

The video of that performance is on YouTube.

So, as I hate to see the Vertigo tour end, the Boys have been playing for 2 years now, they are most likely tired. I hope the next tour, is even better than this one.

Thank you!

Props to the band for sticking through the family illness, pre-sale trouble and playing all the promised dates.

Definitely a good tour with the setlists: who would have thought we'd be getting stuff from Boy, Gloria, 40, One tree hill, Mothers of the dissappeared, Zoo station, Who's gonna ride your wild horses, First time, Miss Sarajevo to mention a few interesting choices? Mixing openers, closers and encores.

Last but not least, Bono's voice made a comeback. He is at his best since Zoo TV IMO.

What a marvelous tour. So many unexpected songs came back from the past....Bono's voice was the best it's been in a decade or more...the band were better than ever with their instruments.

We never did hear live versions of A Man and A Woman, One Step Closer, or Electrical Storm....but when the tour started we never would have expected Window in the Skies!

Thank you U2 for;

Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh
Snippet of Stories for Boys (in Vertigo)
The Ocean
Gloria!
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Running to Stand Still
Miss Sarajevo
The First Time
Zoo Station
The Fly
One Tree Hill
Mothers of the Disapeared
Kite
MLK
40!

I just can't wait for the next album!

Oh great ocean, oh great sea, run to the ocean, run to the sea!

Niceman said:

The Ocean
Gloria!
Running to Stand Still
Zoo Station
The Fly
40!

And I got a chance to see all of these live in person...:drool: (oh, and you can't forget the Ultraviolet snippet...best snippet of the tour :giggle: )

Thank you U2, this has been a great tour. :up:

Last edited:
Well my review of the one and only show I attended summed up for me how satisified I was. The only qualms I had was the very next night the setlist was like a million times better. The First Time, Bad, ISHFWILF, etc...

And I didn't get to see RTSS...:sad:

But 18-11-06 was far and away the best night of my life and it's going to take some beating to be replaced.

I think that even though people will always have negative comments about one think or another about the tour. Considering all, this band does try to aim to please and gives it its all. Even on a not so great night they're are still the best!

Electric Co. :up:

I feel damn lucky with the two V shows I went to.

Cry/Electric Co. with snippet of I Can See For Miles
An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart (Bono lies on ramp during Into..., leans over and sings to my wife. He gives her a flower at the end of it)
Gloria
The Ocean

Never in a million years did I think I could get a chance to witness these gems. This 1st leg (and others) did an amazing job cateering to the longtime fan that wanted something different.

Niceman said:

me too.

I used to cry, I used to cry, I used to cry...
when I was a boy, when I was a boy, when I was a boy...
can't shut me up, can't shut me up, can't shut me up....
now I know why, now I know why, now I know why...

cause I....can't..... stop..... tryin...to get back there...

If you don't know, electric co.:bonodrum:

LemonMelon said:

And I got a chance to see all of these live in person...:drool: (oh, and you can't forget the Ultraviolet snippet...best snippet of the tour :giggle: )

Did they snippet Ultraviolet?? What show and do you have audio?

MLK?

when?

don't forget the Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car snippet :shame:

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:

Philly 5/22/05

It was a great show, high five!

pjotr,

This is for you.

http:// .com/files/319906 Type in s-a-v-e-f-i-l-e

They played MLK in honor of Rosa Parks in Detroit.

pepokiss said:
MLK?

when?

· 2005-10-03 - Boston, Massachusetts - Fleet Center
· 2005-10-25 - Auburn Hills, Michigan - Palace Of Auburn Hills
· 2005-11-02 - Los Angeles, California - Staples Center
· 2005-11-19 - Atlanta, Georgia - Philips Arena
· 2005-11-22 - New York, New York - Madison Square Garden

It followed One on all occasions.

OH i have so many highlights...

actually seeing U2, after so many years of wishing! :drool:

getting to hear songs i always wanted to hear - Walk On, In a Little While snippet, Kite x 4!!!!, BAD!!!, The first time, UTEOTW, Stuck and the best of the lot... THE FLY....OMFG....THE FLY!!!!!!! :dancing:

being in the ellipse 3 times and have great seats the 4th

being FRONT ROW...oh yes! When they were filming!

Adam playing his bass for me, and smiling that BEAUTIFUL smile at me, and kept winking when he'd walk past.

Bono singing to our group and smiling when my friend threw her arms around me in joy that he was singing to us

Having 4 of the best nights of my life! :D

Can't wait to do it again!!

Denver 1 - An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
Denver 2 - Gloria and Bad
Chicago 1 - Bad and 40 and in the ellipse
Atlanta 2 - MLK
NYC 11/21 - Instant Karma
NYC 11/22 - Electric Co from the ellipse

best things about the tour is without doubt the varied setlists! i reckon this tour u2 have played more different songs than any other tour!

Electric Co - sounded fresh
Miss Sarajevo - surprising inclusion
Love & Peace - :bonodrum: Coexist
Love & Peace - recent exclusion
Kite - with that instrument I can't spell
Elevation false intro
Fun - throughout.

I would have to give the award for "most improved on live performance" to Elevation. I was a little disappointed at first when we learned that this song was being played on this tour. I never really cared for it on the album or from the previous tour. That said, the band really did an incredible job with this song for this tour.

... I hate you all...

you cried over it

you screamed over it

you went "NO FUCKIN WAY" when you read/heard it...

you said "this is the best song ever" when they played it...

they played it.. un announced... just for US, the hardcore nerds we are..

and yet... the only song that, if played more regularly, would've stolen Electric Co's place as highlight of the tour, ISN'T MENTIONED ON THIS GOD FORSAKEN RECAP...

for you, group of lackluster forgoteners and so-called "set list enthusiastics" :kiss:... I give you...

DISCOTHEQUE

2 days, 2 performances, 2 days that absolutely BLEW THE FUCKING HELL out of our colective mind and being...

WOO, WOO.... WOO, WOO...

let's go... discotheque...

let's go... DISCOTHEQUE DISCOTHEQUE!!!!

LET'S GOOOOOOOO.. DISCOTHEQUEEEEE...

THIS IS A LOVE SOOOOOOONG... THIS IS A LOVE SOOOOOOONG!!!!

:drool: x infinity

pepokiss said:
... I hate you all...

you cried over it

you screamed over it

you went "NO FUCKIN WAY" when you read/heard it...

you said "this is the best song ever" when they played it...

they played it.. un announced... just for US, the hardcore nerds we are..

and yet... the only song that, if played more regularly, would've stolen Electric Co's place as highlight of the tour, ISN'T MENTIONED ON THIS GOD FORSAKEN RECAP...

for you, group of lackluster forgoteners and so-called "set list enthusiastics" :kiss:... I give you...

DISCOTHEQUE

2 days, 2 performances, 2 days that absolutely BLEW THE FUCKING HELL out of our colective mind and being...

WOO, WOO.... WOO, WOO...

let's go... discotheque...

let's go... DISCOTHEQUE DISCOTHEQUE!!!!

LET'S GOOOOOOOO.. DISCOTHEQUEEEEE...

THIS IS A LOVE SOOOOOOONG... THIS IS A LOVE SOOOOOOONG!!!!

:drool: x infinity

Excellent point. I also was alarmed that it wasn't mentioned (almost as dissapointed as I was to miss it by ONE FRIGGIN SHOW at Toronto III). The Chicago boot shows just how fantastic this song was....its a shame they didn't give it room to grow with the rest of the set.

It had potential. Lots of it. And I love the version I have.

Still, if they'd named this tour The Electric Co tour I would have been happy. (and I'll stand by that)

~A.j.~

^ Don't forget Kite, mon. That was truly astounding. I am still coming to terms with it. Just a quick stats recap:

59 songs were played
11 11 albums were represented, with the Bomb the most covered with 10 tracks played
11 songs closed the shows, with '40' closing 61
7 cover songs were played
3 songs opened the shows, with City of Blinding Lights opening 86 times, Vertigo 37 and Love and Peace or Else 9
2 non-album songs were played
1 b-side was played
1 unreleased song was played
Vertigo was the most played song with 171 plays

all thanks to www.u2-vertigo-tour.com

COBL_04 said:
^ Don't forget Kite, mon. That was truly astounding. I am still coming to terms with it. Just a quick stats recap:

I was umm-ing and ahh-ing about adding Kite.

So beautiful it hurts, but before the tour it was probably seen as more likely than TEC or OTH.

Screw it, its on my list.

Back
Top Bottom