Veropa!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilfinn3970

Babyface
Okay so U2 is taking a bit of a break for the holidays right? Well of course they should record a quick album like they did with Zooropa! They could sooo do it if they wanted to. They might even get an album worth more than the sum of it's parts like Bono was hoping with HTDAAB.

What do ya'll think?

Tim

they had over a 6 month break between legs on the ZooTV tour, they will have a 2 month break between legs of this tour. No way they record an album in 2 months.

They'd be better off resting and spending time with their families.

And personally, I prefer quality over quantity. I'd rather have to wait another year or two (or three, or more) for an excellent new U2 album than to have them throw something together in a few months.

the only thing i can really see them doing... it they really plan on taking their stadium tour around the world next year as well, is perhaps release a live CD, ala what the Stones did durring the Bridges to Babylon tour... they released ... Babylon, toured stadiums, then took a short break, released a live CD, No Security, and then came back to tour arenas.

U2 works way too slow to do a quick studio album these days... the only way that could happen is if it's secretly already done... and we would have heard some leaked whispers about it by now if it was.

well they never released a new album for the popmart tour, and personally i cant see them coming back to europe or the U.S., but i do think they will go to aus, new zealand, south america etc, and then few months of, and back in working on ideas for a new album

neilfinn3970 said:
Okay so U2 is taking a bit of a break for the holidays right? Well of course they should record a quick album like they did with Zooropa! They could sooo do it if they wanted to. They might even get an album worth more than the sum of it's parts like Bono was hoping with HTDAAB.

What do ya'll think?

Ha, I wish.

They could pull off an EP, perhaps. But like chizip said no way they're gonna be able to record an album in 2 months. Current U2 just doesn't work that way. Hell, I don't think even old U2 could manage that.

KUEFC09U2 said:
well they never released a new album for the popmart tour, and personally i cant see them coming back to europe or the U.S., but i do think they will go to aus, new zealand, south america etc, and then few months of, and back in working on ideas for a new album

The difference is this:

End of Popmart 3rd Leg: 12 December 1997
Start of Popmart 4th Leg: 27 January 1998
Difference: A month and a half.

End of Vertigo 3rd Leg: 19 December 2005
Start of 4th Leg: This could potentially be as late as mid-March 2006
Difference: Potentially three months.

As much as U2 like to holiday, I hope they do some recording (or new song rehearsal) in that time, maybe get some ideas going for when the tour's fully over and they can focus on a new album for, say, 2007.

I'm thinking maybe some rehearsals is more likely than recording new songs, actually. Look at this:

End of ZooTV 4th Leg: 28 August 1993
Start of ZooTV 5th Leg: 12 November 1993
Difference: Roughly two and a half months.

In that time, U2 brought out a number of songs and made setlist changes. Of course, this was to accommodate new Zooropa songs, but we still haven't seen Electrical Storm, A Man And A Woman, and One Step Closer, and U2 are still rehearsing older songs for this tour, i.e. the Mofo, Wanderer, and Unforgettable Fire reports.

I'm going to hope this is a good song, but I won't get any expectations up. It's better to hope and be pleasantly surprised when it happens than to expect and be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Re: Re: Veropa!

AtomicBono said:

Ha, I wish.

They could pull off an EP, perhaps. But like chizip said no way they're gonna be able to record an album in 2 months. Current U2 just doesn't work that way. Hell, I don't think even old U2 could manage that.

If I remember the dates on the UF Doco correctly, didn't they do the UF album in roughly two months?

October was definitely quicker, and I'm not sure about Boy but I imagine U2 didn't have the luxury of forever for that either.

Most bands can easily record an album in 2 months... if the propper pre-production has been done. On Zooropa from all reports the guys were arranging and practicing the songs pretty extensively, so when they hit the studio they pretty much had to lay it down. On this tour it is rare to hear any reports from a soundcheck, and if we do it is a rehearsal of some glorious lost artifact that will never see the light of day.

Anyway, the point is, their mentality now, which is excessively protective and paranoid, means that there is no way they will quickly record somthing and put it out there, it's just too risky.

Chizip said:
they had over a 6 month break between legs on the ZooTV tour, they will have a 2 month break between legs of this tour. No way they record an album in 2 months.

Heck, these days no way they record an album in 2 years...

well they could release a new album using the already recorded tracks from the ATYCLB and HTDAAB sessions... that didn't make either of those albums.

u2wedge said:
well they could release a new album using the already recorded tracks from the ATYCLB and HTDAAB sessions... that didn't make either of those albums.

i dont know if id want an album of songs that werent even good enough to make ATYCLB :no:

Chizip said:

i dont know if id want an album of songs that werent even good enough to make ATYCLB :no:

Knowing U2, they probably left the good stuff off ATYCLB. :|

yeah, sure they record an album in 2 months and it will be crap. With Bono's increasing work on the world stage with the one campaign, look for a new cd/tour sometime in 4th quarter, 2009.

bigwali said:
yeah, sure they record an album in 2 months and it will be crap.

I think it would be better - no chance for the band to overthink it or produce the living daylights out of the songs.

Axver said:

Knowing U2, they probably left the good stuff off ATYCLB. :|

well they did leave songs like Smile and Mercy off HTDAAB in favor of A Man and a Woman :huh:

timothius said:
Most bands can easily record an album in 2 months... if the propper pre-production has been done. On Zooropa from all reports the guys were arranging and practicing the songs pretty extensively, so when they hit the studio they pretty much had to lay it down. On this tour it is rare to hear any reports from a soundcheck, and if we do it is a rehearsal of some glorious lost artifact that will never see the light of day.

Anyway, the point is, their mentality now, which is excessively protective and paranoid, means that there is no way they will quickly record somthing and put it out there, it's just too risky.

I agree with that; especially the last point :up:

If they are coming back to US and Europe I think we could see an EP.

Unless they're bringing out lots of other songs to play live that they will test on leg 4 and bring them out back in US/Europe. Mofo, Unforgettable fire, Electrical storm, more Pop songs, two Bomb songs left...

That said, the break between announcement of next leg and the rumoured shows seems kind of long. I mean, announcing March dates in November? I think the tour will continue in January in Mexico and South America.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom