Vent About The Presale Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bostonmike4444

The Fly
U2 Fans Are Suckers

Does anybody still believe that The U2 Corporation cares about its fans other than their ability to make them money? Every little thing that goes wrong, I always brush it aside because I want to believe that the band still has that fire - that drive - to be popular and vital to its fans.

Instead The U2 Corporation used the promise of a handful of GA tickets as a carrot on a stick to lead U2's long-time fans running wildy into $100 and $200 tickets. Take it or leave it suckers! I'm through with this company, I'll take my money to actual bands that matter and can still provide that vital link between artist and fan, bands that still feel like they owe their fans something other than lip service. When Bono thanks us for giving him a good life, he is probably so insulated from reality that he doesn't even realize what a middle finger to us all his corporation is giving us.

And since we've grown for years shoveling our hard-earned money to them, and for years they've tried their best to reward us, like any other large corporation, age and size has bloated them to a point where they turn their backs on their most loyal customers.

If we keep letting them treat us this way, they'll only treat us worse in the future. This isn't a knee-jerk reaction to the tour ticketing sales, this has been a slow-growing feeling over the past 5 years or so when every shaft to the fans was greeted by the smiling Public Relations department telling us that we weren't in fact getting shafted, and then carrying on like nothing was wrong.

It's such a long rant, but U2 used to be important to me, so I'm especially angry that they turned into such a faceless corporation right before my very eyes.

This is the way the world is becoming unfortunately. But you are exactly right. U2 have managed to go from one end of the spectrum to the other. Their journey is almost complete. I think they still have a slight amount of respect for their fans, and put in some effort, but it's cursory at this point. They would much rather look good, and make LOTS of $$$, rather than care so much where it's coming from.

One need look no further than the rest of society to see that it's the people at the Top making the money, who really don't concern themselves so much with those at the bottom providing it. The NHL itself is willing to self destruct, even though fans are the ones missing out on enjoying the game. Will all those fans return when it's settled. NO WAY IN HE**! And the same goes for every fan U2 Pisses off. It's one less t-shirt. One less program. One less road trip. One less concert. U2 values their $$$, and perhaps it's time I start valuing mine. Rather than give it to a band who already has plenty, and apparently seeks much, much more.

Re: U2 Fans Are Suckers

bostonmike4444 said:
It's such a long rant, but U2 used to be important to me, so I'm especially angry that they turned into such a faceless corporation right before my very eyes.

i've been ranting all day about it because i feel exactly the same way. i hated the last album but i thought i'd give them one more chance, but this been the final straw. it's horrible to see what was once your favourite band turning into this. :down:

There are a dozen ways to properly distribute decent tickets to your loyal fans. I dont think everyone would be complaining like this if they were back a few sections or they didnt get exactly what they wanted. But damn, I know 10 people who were registerd and only ONE got GA tickets and even at that everyone else is way in the back of these arena's.

U2 and their management team put 0 effort into this whole process. They took the easy and cheap way out and let the most corrupted company on the planet Ticketmaster do the whole thing.

That, and the face value on these seats makes me realize that U2 isnt the band and type of people I always thought they were growing up. They took a special family of people and destroyed their relations with them.

I'll go throgh the motions on this tour and have a good time tailgating with my friends and everything, but this U2 corporation has lost most of my respect....I've been a big fan since 1984 when I was 12 years old wont be arguing with the next person who calls them 'sell outs' or 'past their prime' or whatever.

Re: U2 Fans Are Suckers

bostonmike4444 said:
Does anybody still believe that The U2 Corporation cares about its fans other than their ability to make them money? Every little thing that goes wrong, I always brush it aside because I want to believe that the band still has that fire - that drive - to be popular and vital to its fans.

Instead The U2 Corporation used the promise of a handful of GA tickets as a carrot on a stick to lead U2's long-time fans running wildy into $100 and $200 tickets. Take it or leave it suckers! I'm through with this company, I'll take my money to actual bands that matter and can still provide that vital link between artist and fan, bands that still feel like they owe their fans something other than lip service. When Bono thanks us for giving him a good life, he is probably so insulated from reality that he doesn't even realize what a middle finger to us all his corporation is giving us.

And since we've grown for years shoveling our hard-earned money to them, and for years they've tried their best to reward us, like any other large corporation, age and size has bloated them to a point where they turn their backs on their most loyal customers.

If we keep letting them treat us this way, they'll only treat us worse in the future. This isn't a knee-jerk reaction to the tour ticketing sales, this has been a slow-growing feeling over the past 5 years or so when every shaft to the fans was greeted by the smiling Public Relations department telling us that we weren't in fact getting shafted, and then carrying on like nothing was wrong.

I paid for my subscription but I'll be trying for a refund and won't be going to the concert. U2 have lost me as a fan. :down:

got to admit that on seeing the prices for the UK dates, and the whole way in which this thing has been handled its got me wondering about where their dedications really lie.

Bono's is very prepared to fight for dropping the debts in the third world, but then on the other hand is well prepared to help the multi national corporations to rip people off, and allow them to gain more money and power at the same time.

I hear that Pearl Jam are rumoured to be touring Europe this year as well. For some reason I just cant imagine the ticket prices being anywhere near as high.

Just imagine if a few more bands had showed some balls all those years ago and stood up to be counted alongside Pearl Jam to fight the likes of Ticketmaster.

Why fight for the rights of others when you can take the easy option...... seems weird to be saying that on a U2 forum when Bono goe's to great length to urge people to help others.

WASTID said:

Bono's is very prepared to fight for dropping the debts in the third world, but then on the other hand is well prepared to help the multi national corporations to rip people off, and allow them to gain more money and power at the same time.

my sentiments exactly, the money put towards my subscription which was paid for my dad is going to go towards our collection for the tsunami appeal, we collect change for it in a jar. imagine if all those fans who were ripped off did that instead of helping to line u2's pockets even more. i'm a bit disappointed at the amount of money i've thrown towards u2 in the past, they've let many folk down. :down:

Refunds

U2 et. al. knew all about what was going on, though they may have underestimated demand.

What I have done, and what I urge all of you to do, is call Fanfire and request a refund. They are very pleasant and will refund the entire $40 (or $20) - not prorated as stated in another post. Due to the large number of refund requests, they are asking that you wait a few days for the refund to be processed.

As I stated in my blog, U2 - Bono especially - forgot he was a musician in the midst of becoming a politician, and we all know politicians can't keep their promises.

Re: Refunds

redright said:

As I stated in my blog, U2 - Bono especially - forgot he was a musician in the midst of becoming a politician, and we all know politicians can't keep their promises.

That was harsh, true, but harsh.

I got tickets but they switched the seating chart an hour after my purchase, my fight is with ticketmaster at this point but my friend, who I go to every show with, was getting our NY tickets and nothing with two windows at 10:00. It just isn't fair.

I will never again pay to be in a fanclub. I've been a fan since 1983 and I was a member of Propaganda in 2001 and they never fulfilled my subscription and still booted me from their "list" for the membership from U2. This has been a very upsetting few months in my dealings with anything of U2. All I wanted was good seats to see them. Is that really too much to ask for.

I am more disgusted today because U2.com, Principal Management or anyone has yet to issue a statement or an apology for what went on yesterday. Truthfully that is what is disappointing me the most, maybe they just don't give a fuck.

Last edited:
Re: Refunds

redright said:
U2 et. al. knew all about what was going on, though they may have underestimated demand.

What I have done, and what I urge all of you to do, is call Fanfire and request a refund. They are very pleasant and will refund the entire $40 (or $20) - not prorated as stated in another post. Due to the large number of refund requests, they are asking that you wait a few days for the refund to be processed.

So they are actually offering refunds? All we have to do is call them? This is a radical change from yesterday late afternoon, when they were telling us to go screw ourselves. Is this true about full refunds?

For me its the ticket prices that are the sad part of all of this. Hopefully the presale codes will get sorted out and everyone will get tickets, but they are taking the pi$$ big time with the European ticket prices.

Propaganda was always a bit hit and miss in terms of running things. But their priority ticket system always worked for me. It was low-tech but seemed to be fair and reliable. The last few days have been a shambles.

The whole membership of U2.COM has been a shambles for Prop members.

The recent decision to force fan sites to take down lyrics and guitar tabs is just another disappointing aspect to the way things have gone recently.

Its quickly becoming all about the money. Well, at least it seems to be and no-one from U2 is telling us otherwise. It was once all about the music and the fans, but I'm really starting to wonder.

And yes, I was lucky enough to get tickets, the above is just how I feel at the moment, but its been starting to go like this for a while.

Refunds

Yes, I was told today by a very pleasant lady in the Fanfire office that my request has been "submitted."

They did ask for a reason for the refund. I said "I can give you about 100." She said she understood and that they had been flooded with refund requests. She submitted my information and told me the credit should appear on my card within 3 days.

I confirmed that it would be a full refund and she said yes.

i really cannot see a problem with the prices, simply because the way i look at it is, if i was to go to a football match here to watch everton, a ticket would set me back about £30, which is cheap compared to some teams, now comparing that to a concert which in some cases is once in a lifetime, they really aint so bad

Re: Re: Refunds

youtwohearts said:

I am more disgusted today because U2.com, Principal Management or anyone has yet to issue a statement or an apology for what went on yesterday. Truthfully that is what is disappointing me the most, maybe they just don't give a fuck.

I agree! THis is the part of all of it that makes my stomach turn.

To have "ticket agencies" selling tickets to the Seattle show on eBay BEFORE it's even on presale or general sale makes me sick too!!! I already got screwed when I was told that my Prop membership "lapsed". Then when I emailed and emailed Principle and all the rest, I heard NOTHING, NADA.

Ugh. I have to log off because this whole thing makes me want to throw up.

MrBrau1 said:
Codes are being reactivated and people are getting tickets. Be patient and persistent.

That's all fine and dandy, but it still doesn't help me get GA tix. But I have to look at the bright side I guess, I can still buy $100 nosebleeds, or even better, good seats for $500. Now that's a steal if I ever heard one.

SoCalMusicLover said:
U2 values their $$$, and perhaps it's time I start valuing mine. Rather than give it to a band who already has plenty, and apparently seeks much, much more.

This quote sums it up best!

Them posting an apology to their fans from Ticketsmaster is sickening too. Just like the big corporations.....its always someone elses fault. NO U2, ITS YOUR FAULT.

CHEER UP EVERONE: I think everyone has to reevaluate your postition. We need to take a step back. For the most part, everyone that wants tickets got them, and if you didnt, as you know....Somehow you will end up with tickets most likely that way being this weekend. And if your pissed because you didnt get the show you wanted maybe everyone should stop being so greedy. I dont blame you for wanting to go to 5 or 6 shows but you dont have to worry about all 6 of them at one time. Anyway, all i wanted to do was put a positive spin on things even though its burning a hole in our pocket. dont let a little glitch ruin the fun of getting the tickets or going to the show.

mkdominatr said:
CHEER UP EVERONE: ... For the most part, everyone that wants tickets got them

Are you on crack?

Sorry, don't mean to slam, but seriously...

100,000+ members of U2.com.
1800 GA tickets on sale.
1% of people who wanted tickets got them.
And probably less, considering the number of brokers who got their grubby undeserving hands on 'em.
So it's more like .5%
MAYBE 1% with the people who were actually able to buy tickets.

I admire your attempt to put a positive spin....but seriously. Call a turd a turd.

Last edited:
nathan1977 said:

1% of people who wanted tickets got them.
And probably less, considering the number of brokers who got their grubby undeserving hands on 'em.
So it's more like .5%
MAYBE 1% with the people who were actually able to buy tickets.

I admire your attempt to put a positive spin....but seriously.

i was unaware it was that low. i was able to get them. however, i would bet that as long as your on this saturday you will probably get them.....i have never not gotten tix for a show online. that includes u2, springsteen, vote for change, clapton......some good bands.

how could they "under estimate the demand" when they know how many people joined the fan club, they know what states they live in, which is presumeably the first place most will look for their tickets, and they even encouraged gleefully (now it seems sinisterly) people to join the fan club to be able to get these wonderful tickets right up until Tues.

And most telling of all is all the GA's and best seats up for sale on Ebay, and on all the ticket broker sites, while again looking today with my meaningless "code" it's the exact same very top of the arena at the very back at each venue that is available. Tickets like that should of never even put up for sale for fan club members.

You can be sure on Sat/Sun again best seats will be up, instead of to us, and again Ebay and brokers will have them all.

keith urban decided that his fan club members will now get their VIP seats directly from the fan club, who will skim off the best seats, NO TM!!, and wherever you wants tickets (you can get them for any city, any venue, not limited to one venue), and hmmmm who does that remind us all of? Prop come back to us! He is doing that because he saw so many of his fan club tickets on Ebay and with brokers.

Probably we will all get tickets on Sat/Sun, but those of us in the fan club should have not had to have that hassle, that's what we paid for, to not have to go with the general public.

mkdominatr said:

i was unaware it was that low. i was able to get them. however, i would bet that as long as your on this saturday you will probably get them.....i have never not gotten tix for a show online. that includes u2, springsteen, vote for change, clapton......some good bands.

The numbers aren't that low. If people are basing numbers on the posts on this board they're insane. People who did get tickets won't make nearly as much noise as people who didn't. Be realistic.

Tammy the supervisor in the los angeles ticketmaster office told me that it is U2 "promotors" who are solely responsible how many tickets were available and from which sections. Ticketmaster only follows the directions of the promoters. I would like to ask a promoter why they even bothered putting so many nosebleed expensive tickets for the presale? Like the real fans want to use bonoculars for the one and only show they may attend.

I don't know why people are complaining so much. Fine, GA tickets are not available. Fine, they are all on ebay. But everyone is saying "ohhh, i can't get tickets." The only two concerts sold out right now are Philedelpia and MSG. I could go on and buy a very decent ticket to any other concert. People are going so far as to say that u2 has lost you as a fan. When their next album comes out, you guys will buy the album. Just because GA tickets weren't available doesn't mean you can cry about not getting tickets.

Believe me, i wanted GA tickets too. But on the u2.com site, i could not find were it said that you were guaranteed two GA tickets. You are guaranteed two tickets, but not necesarily GA, so get that out of your minds.

Switched Seating Chart at more than one Venue??

youtwohearts said:

That was harsh, true, but harsh.

I got tickets but they switched the seating chart an hour after my purchase, my fight is with ticketmaster at this point but my friend, who I go to every show with, was getting our NY tickets and nothing with two windows at 10:00. It just isn't fair.

I will never again pay to be in a fanclub. I've been a fan since 1983 and I was a member of Propaganda in 2001 and they never fulfilled my subscription and still booted me from their "list" for the membership from U2. This has been a very upsetting few months in my dealings with anything of U2. All I wanted was good seats to see them. Is that really too much to ask for.

I was one of the lucky people who thought that at 10:01 am, presale start, that I got some awesome NJ seats beside the stage for $165. Than after browsing numerous forums today, I find out that seating charts were wrong? SO for the hell of it I called TM to question NJ specifically, and I heard the dreaded "yes". Unbelievable. Glad that I got tickets, but I would have kept on looking had I known. Afterall, $165?? I can understand one mishap with a seating chart. But am I understanding correctly from reading that there was more than one Venue/location (besides NJ) where the seating charts were posted wrong? If anyone has any info, please post. Think it's time I complained to someone about this. TM was no help !!

I am mad, but I think that the people who are claiming that they are literally giving up on U2 might be reacting a bit quickly and out of (understandable) anger. U2 has done many things that I disagree with in the past, but I often disagree with the people I love the most, so I can disagree with my favourite band.

I'm pissed off at the price they are charging since the last tour, I don't think there is any good reason to ask for 160$ plus service charge for any decent seat. That's a total ripp-off. And the pre-sale fiasco is really pissing me off like all of you.

But I don't think that the band intended to screw us over. I just think they're disconnected, and they probably have been for a while. But for some reason it doesn't always show. I think it's true that the promoters probably dealt directly with this whole thing, and not the band themselves.

But the bottom line is they SHOULD be involved more closely with this part of their business, the fact that they literally outsourced their fan club is disgusting.

I'm mad, but I'm still a U2 fan, and I will still do whatever I need to go to see them on this tour, and I know once again it will be an amazing experience. But I really hope they apologize to us ASAP and fix the problem for the future.

Back
Top Bottom