Vancouver II Setlist Watch and Thread Party.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Who's your second team? For me:

1. Wellington
2. Otago
3. Canterbury

The latter two are family connections. I've stacks of family in Central Otago and throughout Canterbury.

1.Auckland
2.Waikato
3.Stormers
4.Wellington
5.Otago
6.Sharks
7.Cats
8.Bulls
9.Queensland
10.NSW
11.ACT
12.Canterbury

ruffian said:

he laughed and said I was probably right, and where did I live...and that it was beautiful there...I told him where I worked, and he knew the place. It was cool! I didn't expect him to be so engaging, especially given how busy he is. Do you know the girl's name who is the drum tech? She's such a badass! I love her. Veronica? Valerie? Can't remember....

Sam isnt the drum tech anymore??? thats great you guys got to bond over Ky! how far away are u from Louisville, which is where he was raised?

Axver said:

The latter two are family connections. I've stacks of family in Central Otago and throughout Canterbury.
Axver, this is totally random: I had an unpleasant polo experience in South Cantebury, but a more pleasant riding experience in Otago. What a gorgeous place.
Small world, what with the Tim Tam love and all.

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:

Ok...I will rephrase....You should be officially sworn in to Pleba so you wouldn't have to hide anymore.

I'm not hiding...at least I didn't think I was. Who do I speak to about this swearing-in business?

GibsonGirl said:

Yep, they're from the same area, and they both fall into the category of annoying-as-hell Gautengers/Vaalies (heh, yes, the Transvaal changed to the Gauteng Province ages ago, but they'll still be Vaalies in my eyes). Why they don't just merge the Bulls and the Cats into one supershit team is beyond me.

I wouldn't mind seeing Argentina getting into the Super 12 soon. There's some great rugby talent there, and it would certainly would make the tournament a little more exciting.

Yeah, I remember when there was the name change, and since then, I've had a habit of muddling the South African teams. Though, you know, we probably don't want the Cats and Bulls merged because then they might actually cobble together enough talent to get somewhere.

Argentina could really go places in the rugby world if only they could get into the Super 12. Stacks of talent but they aren't in anything like the Super 12 or Tri-Nations. Heck, why isn't it the Quad-Nations? Argentina would be cool to have in there.

MikeSt said:

Sam isnt the drum tech anymore??? thats great you guys got to bond over Ky! how far away are u from Louisville, which is where he was raised?
One hour from L'ville. No, Sam is still around but there is another woman (in my head I call her Tank Girl, from the movie) who sets up the drum on the B-stage and is generally involved with the drumkits. She's got black hair, lots of tattoos, and a very serious and determined expression on her face at all times.

timothius said:

They're probably my third team. I'm from Auckland so the Blues are my boys... but my best mate for a long time moved back to SA and is an absolute die hard Stormers Fan (truth be told he will play for them in a few years he is a freak at the game)... I guess it has rubbed off on me.

Also, Cape Town...love the place.:applaud:

Table Mountain...:drool:

I miss Cape Town so much, it's unbelievable. :sad: And I think everyone needs to visit Table Mountain at least once in their life. I've been up several times, and even for a native of Cape Town, it's a fantastic experience every time. On a slightly related note, I'll never forget the one April Fools article in the Sunday Times...they claimed they'd be putting up windmills for energy on Table Mountain, and so many people actually believed it. The phone calls some irate people made into the radio stations were hilarious. :laugh:

I miss the Stormers too. :sad: I haven't seen a Stormers match on TV since I don't know when.

Axver said:

Argentina could really go places in the rugby world if only they could get into the Super 12. Stacks of talent but they aren't in anything like the Super 12 or Tri-Nations. Heck, why isn't it the Quad-Nations? Argentina would be cool to have in there.

Its ironic due to the discussion during the week. The reason why itll never happen...three selfish greedy nations.

Argentina were awesome back in the 1990's theyve faded away a fair bit from when they had the second best pack in the world (you cant go past NZ in that era). They also had the best halfback at the time Pichot was a miracle worker.

daygloeyes2 said:

I might be going to the May 28th show in Boston. I'll be waiting outside the box office all day for tickets, but if I get tickets it'll be worth it! If not, I have to wait til December 4th.

I sure hope you manage to get in, or can get something for the October shows! Seems people have had good luck lining up on the day ...

Axver said:

I sure hope you manage to get in, or can get something for the October shows! Seems people have had good luck lining up on the day ...

That's what I'm doing. I'm hoping for GA(I have GA for December), but I'll take what I can get. Where are you sitting?

timothius said:

1.Auckland
2.Waikato
3.Stormers
4.Wellington
5.Otago
6.Sharks
7.Cats
8.Bulls
9.Queensland
10.NSW
11.ACT
12.Canterbury

1. Wellington
2. Otago
3. Canterbury
4. Waikato
5. Auckland
6-9. South African teams
10-12. Australian teams :madspit:

timothius said:

Where abouts in SA are you from GG?

Cape Town. I was born in Durban, but spent most of my life in good ol' Kaap Stad. I'm in Canada now and I desperately want to go home. I haven't been back since 2000.

daygloeyes2 said:

That's what I'm doing. I'm hoping for GA(I have GA for December), but I'll take what I can get. Where are you sitting?

I'm up in the 300s for the 24th (forget what section), then GA for the other two nights.

GibsonGirl said:

I miss Cape Town so much, it's unbelievable. :sad: And I think everyone needs to visit Table Mountain at least once in their life. I've been up several times, and even for a native of Cape Town, it's a fantastic experience every time. On a slightly related note, I'll never forget the one April Fools article in the Sunday Times...they claimed they'd be putting up windmills for energy on Table Mountain, and so many people actually believed it. The phone calls some irate people made into the radio stations were hilarious. :laugh:

I miss the Stormers too. :sad: I haven't seen a Stormers match on TV since I don't know when.

:lmao:

I only went there for a week....Cape Town. But I look back with such fond memories... probably one of the best weeks of my life. I totally agree I think everyone needs to do SA once. I hope to do it twice soon.

How long have you been out of SA? I'm lucky even though I'm out of NZ I still get the rugby. Although I suffered many years of not being able to see NZ play cricket... which I think massive emotional scarring on my early teen years. Massive withdrawl symptoms.

GibsonGirl said:

Cape Town. I was born in Durban, but spent most of my life in good ol' Kaap Stad. I'm in Canada now and I desperately want to go home. I haven't been back since 2000.

I got in there for a month in Feb 2003. Best month of my life hands down.

Random question bout SA's...do you speak Afrikaans or English at home?

I can roll a little bit of Afrikaans off, sadly mainly insults...:(

timothius said:

Its ironic due to the discussion during the week. The reason why itll never happen...three selfish greedy nations.

Argentina were awesome back in the 1990's theyve faded away a fair bit from when they had the second best pack in the world (you cant go past NZ in that era). They also had the best halfback at the time Pichot was a miracle worker.

I remember in the 2003 World Cup, the Argies came pretty damn close at one point to beating Australia in the initial round. They just need to get somewhere, really, and get into a major competition like the Tri-Nations. We all know that they've heaps of talent and they shouldn't be allowed to fade away.

timothius said:

please pardon my ignorance if I am wrong...but isnt Afrikaans similar to Dutch (which i can speak)???

Axver said:

1. Wellington
2. Otago
3. Canterbury
4. Waikato
5. Auckland
6-9. South African teams
10-12. Australian teams :madspit:

See thats generally my logic although. The question is... I hate Canterbury with a passion, wheras I quite like the Stormers & Sharks etc.

I would rather see Canterbury win the championship than an Aus team though. Still I dont know wether I would go for Queensland or Canterbury in a match.

Maybe I should look back on what Robert Muldhoon said all those years ago...

"New Zealanders who leave for Australia raise the IQ's of both countries"

timothius said:

Not-so-random language question: do you speak any Maori?

I can say hello and count to four. :sad:

Axver said:

Not-so-random language question: do you speak any Maori?

I can say hello and count to four. :sad:

I can say hello, goodbye and pronounce various Maori streets that I lived in as a child... aside from that no.

I can pronounce Adam Paroare correctly though.

timothius said:

:lmao:

I only went there for a week....Cape Town. But I look back with such fond memories... probably one of the best weeks of my life. I totally agree I think everyone needs to do SA once. I hope to do it twice soon.

How long have you been out of SA? I'm lucky even though I'm out of NZ I still get the rugby. Although I suffered many years of not being able to see NZ play cricket... which I think massive emotional scarring on my early teen years. Massive withdrawl symptoms.

Where abouts did you go while you were there? Hope you made it to the V&A Waterfront. :wink: I love it there.

I've been out for about four years now, and I miss the place terribly. It's not that Canada is bad or anything, but I do miss being around other South Africans and not having people completely botch up the pronounciation of my surname. Not to mention the extreme lack of rugby and cricket coverage on TV. We occasionally get rugby on Fox Sports World (but they favour Australian teams :madspit: ) and cricket matches that are so old it's not even funny. I went ecstatic the other day when I saw a South African international cricket game on, but then realised Hansie Cronje was playing. :wink:

timothius said:

See thats generally my logic although. The question is... I hate Canterbury with a passion, wheras I quite like the Stormers & Sharks etc.

I would rather see Canterbury win the championship than an Aus team though. Still I dont know wether I would go for Queensland or Canterbury in a match.

Maybe I should look back on what Robert Muldhoon said all those years ago...

"New Zealanders who leave for Australia raise the IQ's of both countries"

:laugh:

I'll always go for a Kiwi team against another country. As much as I hate Auckland, I will be fervently behind them if they're playing someone like ACT. ACT, by the way, being the team I hate the most. It may be wrong, but when I heard Gregan broke his leg, I couldn't help but pump the air with my fist. Great news for my 'Canes.

MikeSt said:

please pardon my ignorance if I am wrong...but isnt Afrikaans similar to Dutch (which i can speak)???

Ja. :wink: I'm bad at Afrikaans though, I come from an English speaking family. I can understand it somewhat when it's spoken, but I can't speak it myself. The most I can say is silly things like "Jy is 'n dumkop." But then again, those are the only phrases that matter. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom