Unless U2 do something good very soon, Vertigo Leg 5 is gonna suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2FanPeter said:

Kettle, met Pot.

Please show me in that post where I said that was a fact? Its my opinion, do I have to start putting "IMO" after every post? Notice where I said "probably" and did I say its 96.5 %, thats a fact? Good Lord I cant believe I'm arguing about this.

Can I ask what you mean by "know the setlist"?

It could mean simply knowing the songs played that night or it could mean knowing almost the exact order of all songs to be played.

Opinion will do.

Last edited:
U2FanPeter said:
Can I ask what you mean by "know the setlist"?

Opinion will suffice.

Well, I'm not sure what post you are referring to specifically. What I was trying to explain that apparantly isnt coming accross is that the casual fan (which is most of the people at a stadium show IMO) does not know the exact setlist by heart and is not that familiar with what the band has played on the tour so far. IMO

IMO, just so thats clear.

Clear this up for me, why was I singled out when someone else gave their opinion on the percentages also? The point of the thread was about if the 5th leg shows will stink because the setlist will be similiar to the other legs. I explained why I didnt think it would stink to those attending. That relates specifically to the topic of the thread. Your posts were specifically to try to refute my opinion and not on the topic as to what your opinion was on the thread topic. I dont get why that was necessary or why no one else stating similiar opinions was quoted or singled out?

Blue Room said:

Well, I'm not sure what post you are referring to specifically. What I was trying to explain that apparantly isnt coming accross is that the casual fan (which is most of the people at a stadium show IMO) does not know the exact setlist by heart and is not that familiar with what the band has played on the tour so far. IMO

IMO, just so thats clear.

Clear this up for me, why was I singled out when someone else gave their opinion on the percentages also? The point of the thread was about if the 5th leg shows will stink because the setlist will be similiar to the other legs. I explained why I didnt think it would stink to those attending. That relates specifically to the topic of the thread. Your posts were specifically to try to refute my opinion and not on the topic as to what your opinion was on the thread topic. I dont get why that was necessary or why no one else stating similiar opinions was quoted or singled out?

I wasn't bothered by the "75%" number that was given, but the "90%" got me. Especially if "know the setlist" simply meant only knowing all the song that would be played.

I knew you would actually answer rather than run away.

BTW, I never took the opening post in the thread seriously and am surprised anyone else would.

u2fp

Sheesh. What's worth arguing over the tour, it's almost over but remember it almost didn't happen. Quit whining and allow some of the countries to have their U2 fill since the band is owning up to their initial tour promises by fulfilling their obligations for re scheduleing postponed tour dates. Sit idly and patiently and wait for new and more material to come forth because you know it will. And another tour. It will happen. Why is it so many people have to reduce themselves to saying stupid things that only spark negativity and argument?

:eyebrow:

How exactly would U2 releasing a new album make leg 5 any better??? I just don't get that.

We haven't had the chance to see the Vertigo tour yet, so it isn't old or boring to us at all! It will be far from a joke, IMO.

Leg 5 may just be the best leg yet. The boys have had a good break between legs.... I'm sure the break has given Bono's voice enough time to recover and the fans have been waiting so many years for these shows, that the atmosphere is just going to be unreal. I can't WAIT!!!!

Thanks for your concern though. :wink:

taxi for disco

White%20Christmas%20Taxi%20Top.jpg

they COULD make the POP encore work...

Or try to include Crumbs, OOTS... ELECTRICAL STORM (w/ fireworks.... no, I'll never be tired of asking for this) ... something...

75 or 80% doesn't know the setlist, but a lot may have the DVD, so they know what's coming to them...

I think that's what dLP is talking about

the only joke here is that U2 made austrailia/new zealand/japan wait 9 more months for the same old tour :shrug:. pretty pathetic imo.

trabantland said:
discothequeLP,

I can't take anyone's opinion seriously when they can't even capitilise the start of all their sentences.

Stay in LA brother. Please don't ever move.

didn't realize i was writing my graduate thesis here. don't worry, i'm not going to chicago any time soon. apparently they have nothing interesting to say there.

Last edited:
discothequeLP said:
the only joke here is that U2 made austrailia/new zealand/japan wait 9 more months for the same old tour :shrug:. pretty pathetic imo.

Now your psychic! Not only is it gonna suck, it's gonna be "the same old tour"

LOL

This thread SUCKS.

huh_panda.jpg

Why not wait til they actually play something on the 5th leg, to see if it's "the same old tour"...what if they did some new song? Would that suck? POP Songs?

I agree that you can't whine about sets you don't know about, and performances yet to be performed. You know nothing, except that it's the same stage.

If they DO play the same songs etc., you're free to complain all you want, but as I said, we don't know anything yet.

discothequeLP said:

Yes, I hear Edge in particular was very amused over that. :down:

U2girl said:

Yes, I hear Edge in particular was very amused over that. :down:

he was so amused that he went with the band to london to start recording the new album! i understand why they would need to reschedule the dates, but 9 months?? ok, venues and booking and all that, but come on. with them back in the studio recording it seems like maybe they just wanted to take a break after all. i am not questioning the seriousness of Edge's family problems, but it took the band such a long time to reschedule that it seems like they decided to give themselves more time off than necessary, which seems unfair to the ticketholders and fans who wanted to see them back in the spring.

They went to London this month, not right after the tour got delayed. And it sure looks like you're questioning their motives for the delay. Is it not better to wait, even if it is 9 months, than not to see them at all?

I think it's unfair and unnecessary to speculate when they could have gotten back on tour. I don't think the equipment was waiting in the storage for free all these months, or that promoters and venues didn't ask for some sort refund for the delay.

Last edited:
Isn't AZ busy with Football right now? Think about logisitics for getting the stadiums?

It might be that U2 is available right now, but the whole stream of dates might not have been do-able stadium/crew-wise until Nov.

Let's see....

First, we have to guess at the time that Edge would want to take off for his daughter. Since we have no idea exactly what the deal was, let's just say that she needed chemo for leukemia, since that is the prevalent thought. If she has Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, which is the most common leukemia in kids, consolidation chemotherapy takes 4-8 months. Gee, there's 8 months right there.

But instead, let's be stingy and assume that she rocked it out in 4 months. This chemo, by the way, isn't like every day of the entire time period, so Edge can be there for the chemo and still globetrot to London for recording, New Orleans for charity work, etc., and still be there for chemo and not warrant fans calling him a "poor dad."

So yes, let's be stingy and say that she rocked it out in only 4 months. So, Leg 4 is midway through and Edge says, "Hey guys, I need 4 months off. Let's see if we can ge the tour going again four months from now." Okay, so lay off the 200 people who are in the crew, design, management, etc. of the tour. Since most of these people have been with you for at least a decade, if not more, you probably want to make sure that they can be with you when you restart the tour. So, start the task of finding out when each of these 200 or so people can come back to your tour. I'll guarantee that a good chunk of the lot can't just hop along and come back right at your 4 month tentative start date. You've probably got to give a month, or even a couple, in order to get all the important people (who don't just work on U2 tours, mind you).

Okay, so now we're at 4 + X months. Now, coordinate the trucks, planes, storage, etc., for all of the tour material. Find out when you can get all that. Also, find out when you can get transportation and lodging for your 200-person crew. Oh, and find out when your stadium dates are available. It's not like you can just pick a few dates here and there, either----you need to pick a block of dates in several different countries where you'll have availabilities all within a few days & weeks of each other that'll also coordinate with the lodging, transportation, etc., logistics that you're working on.

Jeez, an extra few months on top of the already 4 months seems like a pretty short time to figure all that stuff out.

Should we try figuring it out if Edge's daughter needed the whole 8 months of chemo...? :hmm:

Moral of the story: A 9 month delay is MORE than feasible, especially if you tack on the bit of personal time that the break was intended for anyway.

Honestly, it's kind of lame that the argument has gone from "U2 need to spruce up Leg 5 because playing the same stuff from 2 years ago will be lame"....to...."U2 is lame for making these poor Aussies, etc., wait 9 months for the same tour, when I think they just wanted some time off to goof around." :eyebrow:

Ultimately, whether the band played the same exact 24 songs 9 months ago or now, it'll be the same exact show either way. Sure, I'd like to see some new stuff in there---absolutely. But the effect of the setlist on the people going to see U2 live will be the same whether U2 hadn't been to their country in a decade and they saw them in March, or U2 hadn't been to their country in a decade and they saw them in November.

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be much complaint when U2 runs that same tour through the US twice.

Don't tell us how to feel about the tour. They haven't been to NZ since Zoo TV, i think you'll find we don't care what they will play.

What a joke this thread is.

Everybody I have talked to who has tickets for the auckland shows has no idea what the setlist is nor do they really care. Im the same, who cares what they play. You don't go see a band for certain songs, you go for the package... It would be like going to watch tiger woods, but only for his putting

If they do shake the setlist up, well good for us, but man, the bitching and moaning about how "the US got screwed" on these boards will be classic :D.

Utoo said:
This chemo, by the way, isn't like every day of the entire time period, so Edge can be there for the chemo and still globetrot to London for recording, New Orleans for charity work, etc., and still be there for chemo and not warrant fans calling him a "poor dad."

Yes, those comments were great too. "He can do this thing in New Orleans? Why isn't he touring?"

Except it is just a tiny bit different playing somewhere for a day or two, for a charity he helped set up, and playing several dates with a huge stage and a big crew, working everything with the local promotors and venues, making sure your schedule doesn't clash with any major sports events...

Bonus points for all the :blahblah: "Liar!" cries about the statements of coming back to Australia "looks like November" and the "they are NOT coming, they're cancelling everything" marching.
Oh wait...what's that? They are coming and it is November?
zing

Last edited:
For the fucking idiots in here:

a) In between the original dates and the new dates occured an annual event known as winter. It is only just now Spring here.

b) In between the original dates and the new dates occured a pastime popular in this country known as professional football. The season ends in a few weeks from now, just a few weeks before the U2 gigs.

c) U2 have not been to Australia since '98, NZ since '93. There is zero chance that a single person in either country will be pissed at U2 if they put on the exact same show as previous legs of this tour. Not. A. Single. Person.

Sssh Earnie. As far as the rest of the world knows we've just had summer, we only play soccer (except for rugby in muddy fields without grandstands) and it doesn't matter we haven't seen the last 2 tours because there are booootlegs everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom