U2tour.de Chicago DVD review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
altavista translation:

Already we have one week before official release a few copies of the new U2 DVD ' U2 Vertigo 2005 - Live From Chicago (Cover) into the hands get. At the U2 night 2005 in Vienna she celebrated her premiere, took themselves we specially still somewhat more time, in order to make a first Review of these DVD. All data of this Reviews refer to the single DVD version, the double DVD are unfortunately not yet available.

The packing | Contents | The concert | The picture | The sound | The extras

The packing

Chicago single DVD appears in super a Jewel box, which that is similar to CD Jewel Case, only in DVD format. The double DVD will appear probably again in a Digi packing, how one is used also of the Boston and Slane the Castle DVD.

The Booklet contains 14 sides and is provided with live-bildern of the individual volume Member. On the first two sides all Logos of the Vertigo route is to be found like a wallpaper pattern: Of the red "V" up to the atom bomb, which was to be found all on Merchandise articles of the route. One finds piece for piece on the coming sides of words summarized the message forms: "Don't become A monsters in order ton defeat A monster". One remained itself for the style of the limit OD edition CD/DVD ' How ton dismantle atomic bomb ' on, handdrawn rings as well as the designs on the Cover resembles faithful that the limit OD edition. Unfortunately that must be said the Booklet very disappointed and also rather lean equipped is with 5 pictures and 10 words, as well as a few Credits. One may be strained whether the Booklet of the double DVD precipitates also so lean. Even if the case should be, would be double entaeuschend.

Contents

On the DVD is mix from Chicago concerts of the Vertigo route of 9 and 10 May 2005. Primarily the material was used from 10 May (Bonos birthday), even if there are here and there changes. The set lists of the two nights are almost ident, only the conclusion song are different in each case (' 40 ' at 9 May and ' Vertigo ' on 10 May, whereby ' 40 ' on the DVD one used). The Mitschnitt is almost complete; ' party Girl ', which was played in both evenings, is only missing on the DVD. The concert begins with a very short ' Wake UP ' from Arcade Fire and goes over to ' Everyone ', which as Intro in the 1st put one used.

To positively mark with inserts the DVD is no copyright explanations appears and one directly with the concert loose-puts can. The DVD menu contains naturally options for the sound as well as a "TRACK Selection". The play length of the DVD amounts to 2:19 hours, which is uncommonly long for U2 of conditions.

The concert

U2 play into one of their favourite cities, and one also marks it to them. The four gentlemen from Ireland are very loosely with the thing and from the play mood a good day got. Perhaps above all Bono notices one the energy to the some one in or other European Union concert missed. No question that b-B-Man at its birthday a mad show takes off, often interacted with the public and to joke knows. Adam its dauergrinsen does not up-have is particularly amazingly, but the more which one even Larry times smiling sees. Also the public seems to have its fun: Floated of the birthday child the spectators go along here and there times obviously more than one from America are perhaps used.

The concert works rather uneditiert, speaks: Bonos (is enough) responding and CO participate, how also most Snippets (' Wake UP ', ' Bullet with butterfly wings ', ' NO regrets ' and ' When Johnny comes marching home ')! Only who courage drop: ' Blackbird ' at the end of ' Beautiful day ' and ' I CAN lake for miles ' during ' The Electric CO.' are missing. Both only used on 9 May as Snippet and probably the reason why it not on the DVD to emerge. Those the own works also from the portion are are naturally no question: ' Stories for boys ', ' Cry ' as well as the small ' Please ' Snippet with ' Bullet the blue sky ' are all together present.

Which is noticeable substantially more clearly than with past live-mitschnitten von U2 is that smaller errors were not corrected on the part of that volume (one does not have in vain two nights filmed). Thus one hears oneself several times like Edge seize/playful (' Miracle Drug ' solo one, ' 40 ' beginning, ' Mysterious ways ' solo ones) and Bono with the texts comes in disorder (' Love and peace or else ', ' Yahweh '), which arranges the whole a piece more symphatischer and more authentic. Probably the responsible persons thought and e.g. a ' elevation ' version on the DVD calmly where Bono with the "frog in the neck" have themselves that fight. The correct decision which one convulsively/desperately does not try perfect a live admission to produce (e.g. with Popmart, where some errors were repaired); Errors belong to - and that is well like that.

The picture

Briefly calm: It is a typical Hamish Hamilton production. Whether that positive or negative is remains naturally matter of opinion. It is cut again lively and and in the middle in it completely fast times reingezoomt. Altogether Hamilton surprises also with some new camera positions, as direct for example with a bird perspective over the stage. Thus one has a nice view of Edges equipment and pedals. Also Larry (or better said: Larrys Cymbals) are shown the more frequent, that the whole stage times appear happened rather rarely. Who could not make friends with the Boston direction by will not become enthusiastic also here, (partial indistinct) large photographs of hands, guitars and schlagzeug are again times far common. Some photographs again turned on same height with the fans, thus often sees one fan hands (including innumerable mobile telephones) in the foreground, (Licht) effects disturb instead of the whole creative Touch to also sometimes lend.

Otherwise one must mark that the Mitschnitt more alive works contrary to Hamilton's Boston production.

To criticize are also again some doubtful cuts:
- between ' Vertigo ' and ' elevation ' straight times 2 seconds offense and already begin the next song. During Edge with the first cut the straight guitar changes begins for that Intro reef already; suddenly it stands again before the micro.
- with ' elevation ' one sees (at least once completely clearly!) cut and clay/tone at all do not fit! Min:Sek 13:52 - 13:54 - Bono does not sing still the Intro of ' elevation ', on average is of it however to much to be recognized.

The format of the concert is 16:9.

The sound
The different clay/tone formats leave to be desired recently nothing, with PCM stereo, Dolby digital 5,1 and DTS 5,1 are in the best way supplied one. A detailed report to the clay/tone quality one delivers subsequently.
The extras

Unfortunately the double DVD is not yet available. Information to the extras is delivered subsequently. Here still another few Screenshots of the menu, which is continuous animated and is underlaid with pieces of sound.

"Probably the responsible persons thought and e.g. a ' elevation ' version on the DVD calmly where Bono with the "frog in the neck" have themselves that fight. The correct decision which one convulsively/desperately does not try perfect a live admission to produce"

"large photographs of hands, guitars and schlagzeug are again times far common."
:ohmy: i thought we only talked about shlagzeug in Pleba!

god i love online language translators.

:lmao:

wow that was pretty hard to read, and dont know what to make of it :|

lol so is it good or bad

victor_f said:
No I can see for miles... BAD!
No Blackbird... BAD!
not really, there just snippets, i am on about the actual production of the DVD,

am not concernd by snippets,

am all for it if they have left the version of elevation were bono said he had a frog in his throat, its more "real" that way, rather than them trying to paste over it like they did with popmart

ruffian said:
"Probably the responsible persons thought and e.g. a ' elevation ' version on the DVD calmly where Bono with the "frog in the neck" have themselves that fight. The correct decision which one convulsively/desperately does not try perfect a live admission to produce"

"large photographs of hands, guitars and schlagzeug are again times far common."
:ohmy: i thought we only talked about shlagzeug in Pleba!

god i love online language translators.

nothing like shlagzeug close ups:drool: :wink:

I might get a copy early this week or before the weekend :shifty: Not that I will have time to watch all of it, but is there anything specific that you guys want me to look out for or watch first if I can :shifty:

Lila64 said:
I might get a copy early this week or before the weekend :shifty: Not that I will have time to watch all of it, but is there anything specific that you guys want me to look out for or watch first if I can :shifty:
tell all once you watch it (unless I'm in it behaving like a total dork).

Here's another review:

On Friday November 4th, Swedish TV broadcasted the TV special U2 Live from Chicago. Here is a short review.
Setlist

City Of Blinding Lights

Vertigo / Stories For Boys

Cry / The Electric Co.

New Year's Day

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Love And Peace Or Else

Bullet The Blue Sky / Please / The Hands That Built America / When Johnny Comes Marching Home

Running To Stand Still
- human rights declaration -

Where The Streets Have No Name

One
- encore -

Mysterious Ways

Original Of The Species

Yahweh

During the intro to Vertigo, Bono says "I'm gonna teach you some gaelic" and then counts "Uno, dos, tres, catorce!". This night's performance of Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is passionate and emotional.

But when Love And Peace Or Else tunes directly into Bullet The Blue Sky, the whole u2.se staff exclaims "What the f*ck!?!" They skipped Sunday Bloody Sunday! Why?! Well, probably since they wanted to keep the whole Bullet The Blue Sky act, but we still miss Sunday - a lot. Running To Stand Still is dedicated to "the brave men and women of the US Army" and the song is ended by Bono singing "Hallelujah".

U2 really struggles during Where The Streets Have No Name - trying to set the somewhat laid back audience into fire. It doesn't really work, but the band's performance is great.

Quite some time is given to Bono's speech about what Americans can do to end extreme poverty during the intro to One. During Mysterious Ways, Bono brings a guest on stage. They dance together but keep out of each other's personal space.

I've had some birthdays here in Chicago, but this one we wanted on film."
- Bono
Bono explains how Original Of The Species is written "to all our girls", but tonight it is dedicated to his own daughter Jordan, who shares his birthday.

The band delivers a touching performance of Yahweh and the programme ends with 40; still the ultimate closing anthem - mighty, emotional and moving.

The editing brings on some surprises when it comes to camera angles, which feels fresh and unexpected. Sometimes they work out fine, but sometimes you wish that the director would have had the bravery to keep with a close shot a bit longer to catch the emotion of the song.

It is very hard to have an opinion on a recording of a show that you haven't seen for yourself (since we Europeans got the outdoor version of Vertigo//2005). But on the whole we feel that we miss some important items from the show. It will be very interesting to see what the complete video will look like.

Adam Clayton & Bono live, Chicago 2005-05-10
Copyright 2003, 2004, 2005 U2.se

Sounds like Hamish did his typical butcher edit job at times...

He did, but it was slightly better than on the Boston DVD. The kid has improved his skills a little.

ruffian said:

tell all once you watch it (unless I'm in it behaving like a total dork).

Who's got that kinda spare time to watch it all, and all at once... I don't know what to do.... My work has really been suffering lately. What's a blue crack addict to do?

u2wedge said:
Sounds like Hamish did his typical butcher edit job at times...
unfortunately he did. the entire dvd is very hamilton. Many blurry images, many zooms, many hands in front of the band.

xidi said:
unfortunately he did. the entire dvd is very hamilton. Many blurry images, many zooms, many hands in front of the band.
personally am a fan of his work

victor_f said:
No I can see for miles... BAD!
No Blackbird... BAD!

Why is this bad? They didn't play those snippets that night, so why is it immediately bad?
Is it also bad that there's no All I Want Is You, Fast Cars, Discothèque or Acrobat on the disc?

:shrug:

KUEFC09U2 said:
personally am a fan of his work

i think he's got a good eye for the camera angles (love the shot coming down over the drumkit), but he doesn't let us enjoy any of them for more than a split second... and I know about video theory so before someone tells me how that's how it's supposed to be, I disagree in advance :wink:....

hopefully there will be some different camera angles via the dvd menu with this one.

also I wonder what easter eggs there will be? I thought the 'bono cam' was pretty cool on the Boston DVD.

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:

Why is this bad? They didn't play those snippets that night, so why is it immediately bad?
Is it also bad that there's no All I Want Is You, Fast Cars, Discothèque or Acrobat on the disc?

:shrug:

It's bad from my point of view because the presence of these snippets would make the DVD a closer representation of the concerts I've been to. :wink:

Hamish Hamilton completely ruined Peter Gabriel's Growing Up DVD by showing split screen images of Peter's stage and all the crew guys working beneath it. Seeing a cluster of guys sitting under the stage waiting to create some effect above them completely demystifies the experience of PG's performances, which can only be called magical.

FUCK HAMISH HAMILTON.

Shade said:
Hamish Hamilton completely ruined Peter Gabriel's Growing Up DVD by showing split screen images of Peter's stage and all the crew guys working beneath it. Seeing a cluster of guys sitting under the stage waiting to create some effect above them completely demystifies the experience of PG's performances, which can only be called magical.

FUCK HAMISH HAMILTON.
you mean fuck the same man that gave us slane?

ruffian said:

can it be???? no, i don't believe my eyes...is it long lost Yimou???

:hyper:
:hyper:

i miss you!!!

:sad:

It could be, but I'm not sure Sly is gonna be among us for too long, he just got a severe spanking from Sicy in another thread. :tsk:

KUEFC09U2 said:
you mean fuck the same man that gave us slane?

I say fuck him, yeah. The son of a bitch is without talent in the editing room; I can't say whether or not he knows how to shoot a show, since he doesn't give the viewer the opportunity to find out. The Slane show was probably amazing, but I'll never know because it's too ugly ever to watch again. Shit looks like it was shot with bad DV. Great songs, solid performance, some electric energy...and then it just turns to ass. How somebody could fuck up as badly as he repeatedly does, I'll never know. Did anybody see the European VMAs? Another on-screen abortion to go along with Boston and Slane.

If you shout... said:

I say fuck him, yeah. The son of a bitch is without talent in the editing room; I can't say whether or not he knows how to shoot a show, since he doesn't give the viewer the opportunity to find out. The Slane show was probably amazing, but I'll never know because it's too ugly ever to watch again. Shit looks like it was shot with bad DV. Great songs, solid performance, some electric energy...and then it just turns to ass. How somebody could fuck up as badly as he repeatedly does, I'll never know. Did anybody see the European VMAs? Another on-screen abortion to go along with Boston and Slane.
so your not going to buy the DVD i take it,

as i said peronally i am a fan of his editing

KUEFC09U2 said:
so your not going to buy the DVD i take it,

as i said peronally i am a fan of his editing

I'm not actually sure yet whether or not I'll buy the DVD...I was at the shows anyway, so it's not like I'll be seeing something which I haven't already experienced, you know? If somebody gives it to me as a gift for the holidays or whatever, I would gladly accept it--after all, I am at heart a collector. :shrug:

I'm just curious as to what you are a fan of, in Hamilton's work. Personally, I'm coming from a very art-house, snobbish film background (I'm a cinema scholar); I just wonder what you find appealing. Of course, just because I've seen a million movies and studied all the stuff doesn't mean that I'm "right" somehow, but I can't help but wonder what it is that works so well for some and so, so, so terribly for me. To each, his/her own, of course...but I just don't get it. I think it's like watching the worst part of a bad, bad trip.

Still, I've not seen this DVD yet. It's been mentioned that Hamilton has perhaps reigned in his desperate-for-attention proclivities at least a bit, and that would help me not to put a shoe through the TV. But whatever. I'll probably watch a friend's copy and see what the deal is. As it stands, I'm condemning the dude in advance for stuff he's done in the past...that's not quite fair, even though I'm pretty sure he's not going to revolutionize his style any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom