U2's management to blame for ticket debacle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Originally posted at U2log

No tickets? Blame U2 management, says promoter

Who’s to blame for the U2 fan club presale debacle? A Clearchannel representative points the finger squarely at U2’s management.

U2log.com has learned some interesting information from a Clearchannel representative who has been employed by the company for more than 15 years. This rep, whose job duties include reserving tickets for bands’ use, tells us that the quantity and location of the tickets held by bands for their personal use (i.e., for band guests, promotions, and fan clubs) are always approved in advance in writing by the band’s management. A seating map of each venue, indicating the precise location of band-reserved tickets, is sent to the band’s management to sign off on before remaining tickets are sold to the public.

In U2’s case, the Clearchannel rep believes that band management apparently reserved and approved tickets for ETS’ and American Express’ use, but failed to account for the fan club properly. She suggests that band management either did not pay attention to the number and location of the tickets reserved for the fan club presale as indicated on the venue seating maps sent for approval, purposely chose the worst and fewest number of tickets possible for the fan club presale, or forgot to reserve tickets for the fan club presale.

According to the Clearchannel rep, most bands have the power to acquire as many tickets for their own use as they want. In her experience, she has not seen the Ticketmaster rule that states no more than 8% of the venue may be sold during a presale enforced. She provided the example of the Dave Matthews Band reserving thousands of tickets for its fan club use without any challenge. If U2 wanted to reserve a good number of general admission and reserved tickets for the fan club presale, they definitely could have. (Note: Even at 8% maximum, a 17,000 seat arena would mean 1,360 band-reserved tickets, or 680 pairs. Even after backing out a couple hundred tickets for ETS and American Express, clearly far less than 1,000 tickets were sold to fan club members per show.)

Compounding the problem has been the theft of tickets by brokers. The Clearchannel rep explained that anyone who has access to a Ticketmaster computer terminal in an arena box office, a promoter’s box office, or ticket outlet can potentially break into the system and print tickets before public sales begin. Band-reserved tickets, however, are not in the system to steal, so brokers cannot access those tickets.

A report on Ticketmaster by New York State Attorney General Elliot Spitzer describes in detail how common it is for brokers to pay bribes to people who have access to ticket terminals. Bribery is how brokers were able to obtain and then publish images of actual tickets to U2 shows that have not yet been printed at eBay and other online auction web sites. The Clearchannel rep said theft of tickets by brokers is precisely why virtually every touring act today requests a set-aside for fan club use — to alleviate some of the scalping pressure on the most loyal fans.

The extraordinarily high number of tickets currently being offered by brokers is evidence that U2 management did indeed neglect to reserve an appropriate number of tickets for the fan club presale and explains why management has reclaimed the tickets originally set aside for ETS and American Express and why the fan club reserved seats are located in less desirable sections than on previous tours. Because U2 management failed to reserve a decent supply of tickets for the fan club, they actually helped brokers steal tickets from Ticketmaster by giving the brokers a greater supply of tickets from which to steal.

In his investigation, Attorney General Elliot was able to obtain computer records pinpointing exactly when and which Ticketmaster outlets printed tickets ahead of published sales times. We hope that U2’s lawyers are demanding similar computer records from Ticketmaster to stop the brokers. We also hope that U2’s management will allocate a better supply of tickets for fan club presales in the future so that tickets can get in the right hands.

Hmmmmmmm.

Last edited:
if that's true, it probably means U2 did have knowledge of all of this.

eh, I don't know. It's done now... it can't be undone. I'm over it.

Last edited:
From the beginning this entire HTDAAB promotion has been very unorganized, which is not very U2.

-Album delay
-Tour announcement
-Ticket sales

In years past we knew everything for months ahead. U2's camp seems to just be going through the motions. These entire promotion we've seen and heard less from the band & more ways to spend $$$ for U2. Why do I have a feeling U2 will only play a 90 minute setlist?

Very interesting stuff, and it all makes total sense. I don't think they did this on purpose, but I think it's clearly a sign of neglect, and they need to be held accountable for that.

It seems like U2's management IS trying to make up for their mistake (some people have been contacted by TM and offered tickets, the ETS GAs have been recalled, etc.). But we will only know if they really care when the third leg comes around. I am hoping the situation will be much different, as they might decide to make sure enough good seats are set aside for the fan club pre-sale this time around. With all the complaints we sent them, and all the bad publicity in the media, I think they must have realized they fucked up big time by now.

if anyone out there believes someone from clearchannel, i've got some nice water front property i'd like to sell you.

it's the worst kept secret in show business that concert promoters, ticketmaster and the major ticket brokers are all in bed together... it's just that no one wants to come forward and sell the other person out.

it'll happen eventually... when someone high up gets cut out of the gravy train. then we'll see a payola like scandle involving ticketmaster, clearchannel, sfx... everyone. it's not a secret, and anyone who doesn't believe it is just kidding themselves.

McGuinness must have approved this scam. On the other hand, I am sure no member of U2 was given a seating map with fan club locations on it. The band will change this whole procedure for the third leg and make us all very happy.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if anyone out there believes someone from clearchannel, i've got some nice water front property i'd like to sell you.

it's the worst kept secret in show business that concert promoters, ticketmaster and the major ticket brokers are all in bed together... it's just that no one wants to come forward and sell the other person out.

it'll happen eventually... when someone high up gets cut out of the gravy train. then we'll see a payola like scandle involving ticketmaster, clearchannel, sfx... everyone. it's not a secret, and anyone who doesn't believe it is just kidding themselves.

this I am sure is true.

the question is did u2 actually go along with it?

Headache in a Suitcase said:

Amen to that! I wouldn't believe clearchannel if they told me that water is wet...

Just for due diligence, I did get an email from Ticketmaster this morning asking me what show I wanted and promising that they'd do their best to help.

It does look like they're trying to address things...though for many I'm sure it's too little, too late.

There is something interesting here - this is not a Clear Channel statement (which I would never ever believe) but a 15-year worker for Clear Channel who asked to be kept anonymous. While I also wouldn't believe Clear Channel if they told me water was wet, this is not an official Clear Channel statement, but a peak inside the world of ticketing/promotions from somebody who knows.

I also get the feeling that U2 will be playing 15-18 song mini-concerts this time around. It just feels like they're giving up - like the last leg og the Elevation tour whne they were going through the motions. We'll see I guess, it would be nice to have the actual four band members do something to win back some faith - by rocking out for a show like Springsteen and Pearl Jam do. Instead, I imagine there will be more contrived performances and an early night out as opposed to full-blown rock shows.

I'm inclined to believe in incompetence and/or neglect rather than actual malice. Bono is increasingly busy with political activism, Edge is obviously busy, and the tour just doesn't seem to be nearly as tightly planned as usual.

:rant:

Said it before, saying it again: Clear Channel is a "clear" monopoly. Somebody oughtta investigate them...

C.

Yeah they are ClearChannel is a huge monopoly. And I keep wondering "how in the hell are they not getting investigated." Then I'm sure it's b/c some senators out there promise not to raise any eyebrows if they can get their daughters front row seats to the next [insert popular teen artist here] show.

Ugh..it's probably not exactly like that but you get my drift.

I'm not ready to blame the members of U2, because I have no doubt they never were the ones doing any of this, but they delegated to incompetents who screwed it all up, and made so many of their long time fans ticketless, depressed, and screwed.

They obviously had Prop and then the so-called fan club because they do indeed want to keep all of their long time and loyal fans, but whoever is in charge of it screwed up. In the business world they would be fired, replaced, and something asap done so their fans get their tickets, and the disgusting Ebay/brokers with all the tickets lose them, never receive them, they can all be cancelled, they haven't been mailed out by TM yet. U2 could cancel all of them.

trevster2k said:
Originally posted at U2log

Band-reserved tickets, however, are not in the system to steal, so brokers cannot access those tickets.

Oh really? Then how did all of those GA tickets end up on Ebay and so few people got them?
Ticketmaster should have some answering to do in all of this...

Re: Re: U2's management to blame for ticket debacle?

U2girl said:

Oh really? Then how did all of those GA tickets end up on Ebay and so few people got them?
Ticketmaster should have some answering to do in all of this...

I'm really concerned about people buying tickets off eBay now. What happens if you get tickets that were cancelled out by u2.com's lawyers? Too many are having to travel to far for this tour. Can you imagine getting to the venue only to have the ticket taker tell you that your ticket is invalid?

Thx for posting that article. It explains a lot. I agree with others - Clear Channel is finger pointing and are part of the problem. Also agree with those here who think U2 will do better on the 3rd leg.

David

What an interesting article... Very interesting, indeed. Hopefully, they'll fix all of this by the fall.

I also have to say that I find it hysterical that some people are already complaining about the length of the shows. Perhaps this gripe should wait until after the first show is played, maybe? They might just surprise you...

U2dork said:
What an interesting article... Very interesting, indeed. Hopefully, they'll fix all of this by the fall.

all I have to say to that is..

:coocoo:

if I were you I wouldn't bet on ANYTHING for the fall. I think they have made it clear it's more of the same.. for those interested in going thru it again.

nathan1977 said:

It does look like they're trying to address things...though for many I'm sure it's too little, too late.

Well, then, those people who find it to be "too little, too late" need to get off their high horses in my opinion. This bitching is getting beyond a joke. Okay, we all know that there was a huge ballsup with the presales, and the majority of us were extremely upset, annoyed and irritated with it. Now that TM have apologised, are trying to make amends, and to do something right in order to solve the problem, it's still not enough. What do you want? Bono to come round and personally apologise and offer you a free show in your backyard? The moon on a stick? Get over it! They made a pigs ear of things, but give TM and U2.com the credit they NOW deserve for attempting to sort this whole mess out - as they should.

There are only so many ways, and so many times, one person can say the same goddam thing. Is nobody else getting bored of the "boohoo, weren't we badly treated" brigade?

Rant over.:mad:

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

Well, then, those people who find it to be "too little, too late" need to get of their high horses in my opinion. This bitching is getting beyond a joke. Okay, we all know that there was a huge ballsup with the presales, and the majority of us were extremely upset, annoyed and irritated with it. Now that TM have apologised, are trying to make amends, and to do something right in order to solve the problem, it's still not enough. What do you want? Bono to come round and personally apologise and offer you a free show in your backyard? The moon on a stick? Get over it! They made a pigs ear of things, but give TM and U2.com the credit they NOW deserve for attempting to sort this whole mess out - as they should.

Rant over.

:ohmy:
You said exactly what I was thinking about all this, but you didn't lower yourself to use the word 'blowjob'. :)

:applaud:

trevster2k said:
Compounding the problem has been the theft of tickets by brokers. The Clearchannel rep explained that anyone who has access to a Ticketmaster computer terminal in an arena box office, a promoter’s box office, or ticket outlet can potentially break into the system and print tickets before public sales begin. Band-reserved tickets, however, are not in the system to steal, so brokers cannot access those tickets.

This is such complete and utter bull I can't believe they even try to use it as an excuse. "Oh, people are ripping us off but we can't stop them..." Baloney. I work at a retail store, and as low-tech as we are, we have locks and controls on street-date protected items. Someone tries to buy a movie before the street date? System won't allow it. Our computer prints a date on every receipt; music, movies & books have their individual item file tagged with a protected sell date. There's no reason at all why Ticketbastard can't/doesn't do the same: f'r instance, if U2 tix aren't onsale till 1/28, and someone tries to print off a couple dozen on 1/23, they get hit with an error message and a supervisor of some sort gets notified. If these tickets were really being "stolen", Ticketmaster security would be all over it in a heartbeat.

C.

Back
Top Bottom