U2's Game Plan 2005-2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelordevil

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
With the current tour slated to bump heavily into 2006, just wondering what you think U2's game plan is.

Would this be a longer tour than Elevation? And if so, what does it signify? A new creative peak, with potential album, ala Zoo Tv, or is it the ultimate farewell-while-on-top sign-off to an amazing career?

Forgive me for that last unbearable thought, but I'm in the midst of overanalyzing everything U2 because I'm super-stoked for the Toronto gig in September!:drool:

I think it's far from a sign-off! It looks to me like the band's gotten a new spark of energy---they've got a second-in-a-row award-winning hit album, an insanely popular tour, songs that are tied into topics that are important to the band, things going right for them (i.e., bono) off-stage, and bono's voice is the best it's been in years. I'm not expecting them to stop any time soon---and I agree that there may be a mid-tour album on the horizon... At least I hope so!

I would not read much into it simply because, at least IMO, they always seem to do the unexpected -- as I recall, Zooropa's release caught many off guard -- anything is possible, but predictions are tough with U2.

No new album, longer tour than Elevation, break late 2006-2007, new album late 2007..... tour 2008 with lots of songs from POP, break in 2009, Nobel Price for Bono in 2009, new album in 2011, very rock, hard metal album...... farewell tour in 2012-2013.....

:drool:

I think they'll tour untill march. Then have some time off and maybe we can expect a new album in november 2006 (have a look at the album rumours) or maybe march 2007. Then they will tour again. I don't think the new album will be very creative, I think it will be a little like the Bomb (u2's trilogies?!). That album will be called 'MAN'. And then you know...

I know.... sooo long..... inspired by System of a down.... how cool that would be.... Larry said that U2 had to change their music and innovate again to stay relevant.... here you are Larry, Speed Metal!!!!:dance: :dance: :dance:

Yahweh_OMG said:
I know.... sooo long..... inspired by System of a down.... how cool that would be.... Larry said that U2 had to change their music and innovate again to stay relevant.... here you are Larry, Speed Metal!!!!:dance: :dance: :dance:
Noooo... Indie rock :drool:

have heard from the edge that a new album is on it's way in Oct 2006 - they have written most of the material already from the HTDAAB sessions - just need to refine. The tour will not contine after when this is released.

You know, I've kinda always had this theory that U2 has it all planned out already. I mean, I think they have this massive back log of material that nobody knows about, possibly 2 or 3 albums (maybe more), that they can pick and choose from, tweaking the songs to flow with an album's theme or current movement in music, occasionally throwing a new song in there...

The zooropa album cover is one of the things that has planted this conspiracy theory in my mind, the Achtung Baby outtakes is another, not to mention the long list of song titles that was posted in the RnR hall of fame exhibition. Those are only the song titles that they wanted us to know about. I'm sure there's a ton more.

excuse my ignorance, where can I find discussion about the RnR hall of fame exhibit song listing??

I agree there are a ton of songs they have started already (some of them were put on the ipod thing). Another newer one is 'Mercy' from the latest sessions. Great song with a Wild Horses vibe to it. Nice and long, definitely not a 'pop' song (the movement/culture, not the album)

they won't rerelease PoP.

they've already made new versions of several of the songs.... so basically it seems like they've redone what they want....

discotheque....
staring at the sun....
gone....
please....
(if you wear that velvet dress... kinda)....
etc.
etc.

it would be interesting if they did pick 15 songs and completely rework them.

i'd dig it, but i just don't see it happening.

GretzkyU2Yanks said:
I agree there are a ton of songs they have started already (some of them were put on the ipod thing). Another newer one is 'Mercy' from the latest sessions. Great song with a Wild Horses vibe to it. Nice and long, definitely not a 'pop' song (the movement/culture, not the album)

:drool: Mercy is amazing. What worries me about it is that the music sounds dangerously similar to City of Blinding Lights

I think it would be a mistake to re-record POP. Time to move forward. I like POP, but I don't need everyone else to.

If U2 wants to convince people that these are good songs they could just, I don't know, PLAY THEM LIVE!!!!

if I were the band I wouldn't be ashamed of playing

Last Night on Earth
Mofo
Discotheque
Gone
Please or
Miami live

They all were frickin awesome :rockon::rockon::rockon:

I doubt there will be any re-release of Pop. While the band felt rushed on that album, they have so many other old songs they could re-do, and they still have so much more music to make.

No indie rock & no speed metal. U2 are not ones to stick themselves into an existing genre. No U2 album really fits into the music of the times (which is why Bono's quoted as being surprised JT ever made it so big). Even Pop, which most people dismiss as techno, really only has techno/electronica aspects to a few of the songs, not the whole thing. Nope, any new album will either be an extension of ATYCLB & HTDAAB--though I doubt it--or something very different than what's out there now.

U2dork said:
The zooropa album cover is one of the things that has planted this conspiracy theory in my mind, the Achtung Baby outtakes is another, not to mention the long list of song titles that was posted in the RnR hall of fame exhibition. Those are only the song titles that they wanted us to know about. I'm sure there's a ton more.

What is it about the Zooropa cover that's sparked your conspiracy theories? :eyebrow:

They definitely have a ton of songs and tidbits out there that are little known, if known at all. Passengers, anyone? Tons of B-sides and almost-mades listed in "U2: Into the Heart." Tons more not listed..... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom