U2 Video being shot in Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jesus, they're still filming?? Well, I suppose if people were still outside pushing 7pm, it's going to be a REALLY long night. I just saw on the local news preview that hundreds of people were in the line-up within minutes of the anouncement on the radio stations. I don't know if that's an exaggeration. I suppose I'll have to wait until the 11 o'clock news to find out!

The Wedgewood is LOVELY! Very swanky, and I believe their bar is Bacchus, which is a celeb hangout. Perhaps the boys will be staying there?

u2girlcj said:

:| I hope to hell you're messing with me. THis is the kind of thing that could haunt me the rest of my life. I'd 'ev been there at 6 :mad:

U2girl and Melsbud - I heard it on 99.3 The Fox (www.cfox.com) around 9pm EST - "The Rock Report at 6pm". Like I wrote originally, though, there was no guarantee you'd still get in, the dj just said that perhaps there's still a chance. :shrug:

melsbud said:
Perhaps the boys will be staying there?

:faint:

I won't bet on it, but it is quite the lovely thought!!! :cute:

I think we'll get up there early and try to hang out at GM Place, see if they come out before or after the sound check. So if one were to do that, what side do the cars enter/exit? and will the GA line be nearby?

Wow. 4,000 people leave their offices and homes to enter a big old arena - without their cell phones! and here it is hours later... I wonder how many missing persons reports will be filed in the BC area tonight! :lol:

ladywithspinninghead said:

U2girl and Melsbud - I heard it on 99.3 The Fox (www.cfox.com) around 9pm EST - "The Rock Report at 6pm". Like I wrote originally, though, there was no guarantee you'd still get in, the dj just said that perhaps there's still a chance. :shrug:

It made my heart skip a beat. And it's skipped so many beats this week it could be bad... :combust:

Anybody know what time sound check will be tomorrow? I'm hoping to hang out to get an autograph or something. :wink:

I believe they arrive between 4-5:15pm. It was closer to 5 for Seattle 2, but that could just be because they already knew all the sound cues from the night before.

u2girl, when I camped out to meet them (and failed) on St. Patty's Day, they drove out of...okay, how do I describe it. If you see the Canucks merch store, you need to walk past it under the skytrain rail above, and you'll see a discreet exit, likely with an SUV or two around there. If it's like the rehearsals, they'll change entrances and exits every day. But when I was there, apparently they exited from there and drove in the opposite direction from the Canucks store, and past the fans. Does that make any sense at all?

melsbud said:
I believe they arrive between 4-5:15pm. It was closer to 5 for Seattle 2, but that could just be because they already knew all the sound cues from the night before.

u2girl, when I camped out to meet them (and failed) on St. Patty's Day, they drove out of...okay, how do I describe it. If you see the Canucks merch store, you need to walk past it under the skytrain rail above, and you'll see a discreet exit, likely with an SUV or two around there. If it's like the rehearsals, they'll change entrances and exits every day. But when I was there, apparently they exited from there and drove in the opposite direction from the Canucks store, and past the fans. Does that make any sense at all?

absolutely. I will give it a go. I remember the sound check from Seattle 1 being a little earlier 3 or 4?- doors were open and you could hear it pretty clearly!

And here's an odd bit of useless trivia: They started and re-started the intro to Miracle Drug at least 3 times during the sound check. I don't know why that impacted me, but it did. :hmm:

According to 1130, if I understood correctly, the meeting tonight is first a casting call for people to be filmed today, as well as at the Van1 and Van2 concerts. I don't know if it was a prereq that you already have tickets. (I may die a little if they're comped.) I think most of the filming will happen at the concerts - probably just closeups and reaction shots today. I wonder how the shooting will go on Thurs and Friday; they can't do re-takes during the show, right?

k, now that I've calmed down

they gave us all assigned seats, I sat side stage, 4 rows up

they "randomly" gave people yellow wristbands to get into the ellipse once we were in the arena

the played COBL twice, then 20 minute break, COBL twice again, 20 minute break, COBL once, 20 minute break, during this time, they were mostly filming the band and Bono

then they moved everyone onto the floor, yellow wristband people ellipse, everyone else outside of the ellipse

they played COBL again for crowd shots.... they then wrapped up filming, and the band busted out Vertigo and All Because of You, they left the stage, but bono came out with one more and they did Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own

Awesome! How was the crowd? Hope you had fun! You must be dehydrated! Were there metal detectors, full body checks, strip searches, the whole nine yards?? It seems everyone took that no-cell policy seriously!

Ok, you can't leave us hanging like that. Not cool.

Get back down off of Cloud 9 and give us a review.

Like now would be good.

melsbud said:
Awesome! How was the crowd? Hope you had fun! You must be dehydrated! Were there metal detectors, full body checks, strip searches, the whole nine yards?? It seems everyone took that no-cell policy seriously!

the crowd was awesome... every time the band came out and played COBL, it's like they're playing it for the very first time.. so much energy

they actually let us bring in bottles of water, so I'm not THAT dehydrated :p

no metal detectors, but yeah, full body checks, and they actually made us CHECK IN all cell phones and ALL electronic equipment... as you can imagine, the line for cell phone check-in and especially pick up was insane

You responded before I could get my response in.
Did you meet the band? Were you filmed?

u2girlcj said:
That is so fing awesome I cannot believe it. When did you get down there?

well, at first the radio said 3pm, so we got there around 2pm, turned out the doors were supposed to open at 5pm, but that got delayed to about 7pm... they started to hand out tickets at around 6pm

xtal said:
You responded before I could get my response in.
Did you meet the band? Were you filmed?

no, we didn't get to meet the band, they seemed really focused on the filming...and they didn't come out to the line before the show or anything

and yeah, the did a lot of panning shots of everyone in the crowd, so basically everyone there got filmed

awesome!!! :heart: thank you for the review!
quick question: how did they determine who got into the ellipse? were tickets scanned as you entered the building? or did they just have people walking around handing out wristbands to people in the stands?

i read this on atu2.com:
U2 shoots a live performance video for 'City of Blinding Lights' on a day off during the Vertigo Tour. The shoot is announced on local radio, and a couple thousand people are invited in to be part of the video, though some are unfamiliar with the song. The song is performed several times for the cameras. During one break, Bono leads the crowd through the 'Hokey Pokey', complete with backing from Edge and Adam. Towards the end of the shoot, the band plays a few additional songs. They come out for an encore, where Bono sings 'Sometimes...' to 'calm myself down.'

:lmao:

Last edited:
*Ally* said:
awesome!!! :heart: thank you for the review! quick question: how did they determine who got into the ellipse? were tickets scanned as you entered the building?

i read this on atu2.com:
U2 shoots a live performance video for 'City of Blinding Lights' on a day off during the Vertigo Tour. The shoot is announced on local radio, and a couple thousand people are invited in to be part of the video, though some are unfamiliar with the song. The song is performed several times for the cameras. During one break, Bono leads the crowd through the 'Hokey Pokey', complete with backing from Edge and Adam. Towards the end of the shoot, the band plays a few additional songs. They come out for an encore, where Bono sings 'Sometimes...' to 'calm myself down.'

:lmao:

the ellipse, nobody was scanned... roadies just walked down the aisles randomly handing out yellow wristbands to people close by

Hokey Pokey was hilarious... Bono during the band intruduction asked band members what they wanted for their birthday... I couldn't hear what Edge and Adam said, Larry said 'World Peace' then the crowd jeered on Bono to say what he wanted... and he busted into the Hokey Pokey... he then mentioned he was surprised everyone knew it and thought it was an "irish thing" :p

the crowd was clustered in the three sections closest to the side of the stage on both sides of the stage, so about 6 sections all together were filled up

korczykp said:

the ellipse, nobody was scanned... roadies just walked down the aisles randomly handing out yellow wristbands to people close by

Hokey Pokey was hilarious... Bono during the band intruduction asked band members what they wanted for their birthday... I couldn't hear what Edge and Adam said, Larry said 'World Peace' then the crowd jeered on Bono to say what he wanted... and he busted into the Hokey Pokey... he then mentioned he was surprised everyone knew it and thought it was an "irish thing" :p

the crowd was clustered in the three sections closest to the side of the stage on both sides of the stage, so about 6 sections all together were filled up

OK, setlist nerd who runs a website here. Yes, going to pester you with a question. When was Hokey Pokey in the order, after how many COBLs? I'd like to include it in the setlist.

korczykp said:

thanks for answering my question... interesting about the handing out of wristbands... very exciting for you though- congratulations on a once-in-a-lifetime experience!!! :hyper:

and :lmao: at bono thinking the hokey pokey is an irish thing... that man really need to travel the world a bit more! :wink:

Axver said:

OK, setlist nerd who runs a website here. Yes, going to pester you with a question. When was Hokey Pokey in the order, after how many COBLs? I'd like to include it in the setlist.

you're not the only 'setlist dork'- here's the running order according to U2tours.com (don't know if it's accurate though!)

"Main Set: City of Blinding Lights, City of Blinding Lights, Hokey Pokey, City of Blinding Lights, City of Blinding Lights, City of Blinding Lights, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, All Because of You "

hmmm... this kinda looks like one of our "fake" setlists that we throw out in the Setlist Party threads... :eyebrow:

Axver said:

haha, I could be wrong, but I BELIEVE it was in the second set of COBLs, between the 3rd and 4th

korczykp said:

haha, I could be wrong, but I BELIEVE it was in the second set of COBLs, between the 3rd and 4th

OK, so U2Tours.com are mistaken when they put it before that second set of COBLs? It was actually between two COBLs, not before/after one of those 20 minute breaks?

So was this the set?

City Of Blinding Lights
City Of Blinding Lights

City Of Blinding Lights
Hokey Pokey
City Of Blinding Lights

City Of Blinding Lights

City Of Blinding Lights

Vertigo
All Because Of You

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

If that's it, I'll put it up with the COBLs as the main set and the other HTDAAB songs as the encore as they weren't for filming, unless you have a better idea of how I should split main set/encore, or if it should just all go up as main set.

(Korczykp, now you know how bono_man2002 felt when I questioned him on the setlist after his shows! :lol: )

Back
Top Bottom