u2 v pearl jam concerts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akann

Acrobat
This question is for any Aussies who saw both bands perform. How do they compare?? My friend who is just a casual u2 fan said that Pearl Jam was better, but I refused to believe that :) Anyway, I saw u2 in Sydney twice and performance wise I thought they were even better than ZOOTV. Anybody been to both u2 and PJ?? any comparisons??

well... this is a very hard question for me to answer.

i haven't seen 'em both in australia, but did see them both here in america, and am a big fan of both bands... u2 getting the nod as my favorite.

first off, pearl jam does not put forth the same production, visualy speaking, that u2 does. they have a simple basic stage with a few lights and that's about it. it's so simple you can watch the band walk out of the tunnel to the stage.

pearl jam will play any song they've ever recorded on any given night... there's a sense of excitement after each song that hardcore fans of u2 simply don't get because u2's setlists are as predictable as a game of tic tac toe.

soooo... while seeing u2, even performing a setlist that we pretty much already know going into the show with very little as far as surprises go is a very satisfying experience to the hardcore fan because, well, it's u2... i do believe pearl jam does a much better job at satisfying the hardcore fan.

think of it this way... as great a time as you have going to see a u2 show, imagine the same experience, only you never know what song htey'll open with, close with, and never know what will be in between, either.

every pearl jam show is like a first show of the tour, 'cause ya never know what you're gonna get.

Pearl Jam has it right.

I'd love for U2 to go back to the UF Tour simple stage setup and not have to worry about all the videos and lighting and choreography so they can play whatever songs they feel like.

That would require Bono to show up for rehearsals, though, so I guess that's never going to happen.

Well, I'm not interested enough in Pearl Jam to see them live, but my flatmate just saw both U2 and Pearl Jam and he felt the U2 concert was exceptional while Pearl Jam was only average.

I honestly don't really understand why Pearl Jam are rated so highly on this forum. Eddie Vedder's vocals irritate me.

Axver said:
Well, I'm not interested enough in Pearl Jam to see them live, but my flatmate just saw both U2 and Pearl Jam and he felt the U2 concert was exceptional while Pearl Jam was only average.

I honestly don't really understand why Pearl Jam are rated so highly on this forum. Eddie Vedder's vocals irritate me.

:love:

U2 were very tight last night in the first Melbourne concert. they have more "hits" than Pearl Jam. It was a peach of a night with a whisker of wind and a great sunset. Bono was very good. The bass was a bit strong early in the set. Once it was turned down The Edge proved he is the best.

Pearl Jam are a very underrated outfit for their quality of musical excellence.

I saw U2 in on the Tuesday and Pearl Jam on the Friday in Brisbane.

I've been a fan of Pearl Jam's since Alive was released as a single and to be fair they are a very good live band. As has already been mentioned, with Pearl Jam, they are so well rehearsed, than can practically pick and choose any song from their catalogue and play it. Because of this, no two shows are the same, which means if you see them two nights in a row, you'll get two different set lists. I wish U2 could do this!

U2's show in Brisbane was excellent. There was no real element of surprise thanks to all the bootlegs I've heard and the Chicago DVD, but it was still a great show. The band played well and really looked like they were enjoying themselves.

The Pearl Jam show on the Friday was also excellent. The crowd were really into the Kings Of Leon who played a great set and the noise levels did not drop once when Pearl Jam were on. They got a tremendous reception from the fans and the band fed off of that and gave a brilliant show.

To summarise, I think that both bands are extremely good at what they do. I don't think it's really possible to say one is better live than the other as they both give such different live shows. Let's just say if both bands are on form come Honolulu, everyone going is in for a special treat. I wish I was going!!

I've seen both bands live and I'm a big hardcore fan of both bands... and I must say: Pearl Jam live > U2 live.

Surely I'm biased since Pearl jam are definitely my favourite band and I'm much more involved with them. Plus, I saw U2 only one night, in a big stadium, 20 rows away from the stage, while I saw Pearl Jam two nights, both at the front row, in the railings, right in front of Mike McCready.

After all, I felt that U2 did an amazing show (it was the first gig I ever gone to) but Pearl Jam did something more... I guess there's no other band that reaches and cares about their hardcore fans so much...

while when I saw U2 there was only one surprise in the set (40), Pearl Jam played 48 different songs between the two nights here. U2 played 24 songs, Pearl Jam played 29 on the first night, 32 on the second... that kind of things make a difference...

Axver said:

Of course if you're not a Pearl Jam fan this is no contest for you... but I can give you this as a fact: any person who likes PJ and U2 exactly the same way will be more satisfied after a Pearl Jam show.

MacPhistoPT said:
I guess there's no other band that reaches and cares about their hardcore fans so much...

That's what I respect most about Pearl Jam. They do things the right way.

MacPhistoPT said:

Of course if you're not a Pearl Jam fan this is no contest for you... but I can give you this as a fact: any person who likes PJ and U2 exactly the same way will be more satisfied after a Pearl Jam show.
That depends on how much you like them the same way.

If you're a hardcore U2 and Pearl Jam fan you'll like Pearl Jam concerts much more, much more surprises, rare songs etc.

But if you like U2 a little bit and Pearl Jam also you'll like U2 a lot more. Because there's a big chance you don't even know much of Pearl Jam's played material and with U2 you do know all the big hits.

I saw U2 in Brisbane on Tuesday and then Pearl Jam on Saturday (second show). I'd seen U2 before but I was a Pearl Jam virgin. I've been a fan since their first album, but somehow, I'd not before made it to a show.
I've thought for years that Pearl Jam are the only band who might be able to put on a better show than U2. So to see them both in the same week was quite a chance for comparison.
There are three main differences between U2 and Pearl Jam as live bands. I may touch on what a few other people have pointed out, so forgive me if I sound like an echo:
1) Setlists. PJ do not have fixed setlists. Back in '03 they played three consecutive shows in Boston and only repeated one song - and that only because the audience kept yelling for it. When I saw them on Saturday I was quite surprised that they played Alive, because they'd played it the night before. They're that varied.
2) Stage production - as Headache said, there is none. Just lights and screens so people in the back can see the band better. Think U2 circa UF Tour.
3) Musicality - this is the big one, and the heart of the difference between the bands. First off, Pearl Jam jam. It's not real jamming, like jazz (no rock groups do that), but there are extended instrumental sections that change from night to night. The lead guitarist never plays the same solo twice (he's the antithesis of Edge). Pearl Jam are, from top to bottom, more musically sophisticated than U2 - but their sound is not as organic. And Eddie Vedder, as a singer, presents a fascinating counterpart to Bono: he doesn't have the range, or the stylistic versatility, but his voice is a miracle of nature. Bono's voice these days is a hit-or-miss affair. Ed's isn't. His power now, in his early forties, is undiminished from what it was fifteen years ago. And he smokes at least as much as Bono :)
My impression of the PJ show was somewhat corrupted by the fact that the crowd in my section was, to put it mildly, bad - I have a thread about this somewhere. But I enjoyed U2 far more. I have several friends who also saw U2 and PJ in the same week, and among them, opinion is evenly split as to who put on the better show.
What it comes down to, for me, is that the differences between U2 and PJ in concert are exactly the same as the differences between them as bands in general. PJ are more consummate musicians. They are also less versatile and less... well, mystical. What U2 does is unconventional in almost every way - never have four people of such unremarkable technical skill created such a body of music. Pearl Jam are brilliant, even sublime, and if I were to compile a playlist of the best live performances I have ever heard, they would be the only band besides U2 to make the list. (I am thinking of Black from Benaroya Hall, 22-10-03, among other things.)
If conventional musicianship is what appeals to you most, you will prefer Pearl Jam. If something else matters more - something too big to describe here - you may prefer U2.
Having said all this, I am still ecstatic over the Sydney "U-Jam" performance. Oh, to see more of that...

My 2 cents just after seeing Pearl Jam for the 2nd time whilst in Australia and also seeing the 3 shows is Sydney for U2. As much as I love U2 - Pearl Jam win hands down. Different set lists every night, more energy and yet simple and fantastic. Yes - U2 were great too but spontanity would be fantastic. They are too much orientated around putting on a light show - and once you have seen them once - you can pretty much count it for the same around the world. Yes - U2 are much bigger than pearl jam but at least they are keeping it simple. My 2 cents :)

I've seen them both a few times over the years. I always considered U2 more of a rock production and Pearl Jam more of a rock concert. I don't know how else to explain it. I prefer Pearl Jam live. But then, I am from the northwest.:wink:

As of today playing on this tour this is no contest. U2 hands down, Simply because HTDAAB is so far superior to PJ's latest disc. (I am a huge Pj fan, who has seen them loads of times going back to '92). I understand the advantages of a PJ show, but there is not the emotion or theatrics of a U2 show. Doesn't matter if I know what is coming there is no song PJ does that comes close to Bad, Streets, Wowoy for me. While I will continue to go see PJ whenever I can - it boils down to this. PJ is a great rock show, and U2 is an event. (For whatever its worth my personal favorites live would be 1. U2 2. Wilco 3. Primus 4. Pearl Jam. And I like PJ the same as Primus and Wilco).

Axver said:

I´m surprised, as you are a big fan of setlists, you don´t show interest to a band like Pearl Jam, whose setlists are among the most interesting ones to observe in rock and roll history.

But, it´s only a matter of personal opinion. I for one consider Vedder´s voice to be one of the most beautiful I´ve ever heard.

I´ve seen U2 in Vienna and Pearl Jam in Verona and Zagreb.
The Pearl Jam gigs blew the U2 one out of the water. And the U2 one was phenomenal.

Oh and someone said that no PJ live song can match to Bad or Streets. C´mon. Simply check some performances of songs like Alive, Even Flow, Black, Corduroy or Do the Evolution and say that again.

Last edited:
djerdap said:

Oh and someone said that no PJ live song can match to Bad or Streets. C´mon. Simply check some performances of songs like Alive, Even Flow, Black, Corduroy or Do the Evolution and say that again.

Streets greatest live song in history. Bad 2nd greatest live song in history. Nothing in PJ's catalog even close. Alive, and Even Flow are so boring live on recent tours- they need some sort of new take or to be retired for a long while (much like nyd and pride for u2) . Its all a matter of opinion, but comparing Do the Evolution to Streets or Bad is quite funny. I'm sure you threw that one in as a joke. (I will laugh every time from now on when I hear Do The Evolution).

hmmm...mixed reactions but slightly favouring Pearl Jam. I sometimes wonder if u2 fans, myself included, tend to judge u2 a lot harder than other groups....don't know but it seems that way.

Ive seen both Pearl Jam and U2 this November as well and its so hard to compare. ANd honestly i dont think you can. Both very different styles and scales of performance. All i'll comment on is the pace of the show - the Pearl Jam gig was just full on - hardly no slow songs at all, and the energy derived from that is huge. U2 on the other hand slow the tempo down in a few parts of their shows and the crowd sometimes dies with it (if they dont really understand the song) - i was thinking if U2 took out their slower stuff (ie. make it on your own, sarajevo etc...) and filled the slots with electric co, and gloria etc.., a U2 crowd would dead set explode!!

Conclusion: no idea.

They are my 2 favorite bands, U2 being 1 and PJ being a very close 1A (and closing the gap with every live show)
I've seen 22 U2 shows and 17 PJ shows.
Headache summed up the differences well.
Of course there are nights that U2 will shake things up, and I'm glad I live in the Boston area cause its one of the cities where you can count on some setlist/encore variance.
But nothing like what Pearl Jam does.
And Pearl Jam wins hands down in the fanclub ticketing process, having been a 10club member for over 12 years now, I am priveleged to get incredible seats when I see them.

As for what a PJ show can be like, witness the setlist from their latest show in Newcastle:

Set List: Alive, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Save You, Insignificance, Unemployable, Brain of J., Red Mosquito, Given To Fly, Last Exit, Hail Hail, Small Town, Better Man, Daughter/War (composed by Whitfield/Strong), Whipping, Leatherman, Down, Do The Evolution, Undone, Rearviewmirror

1st encore: Thumbing My Way, Masters of War (Bob Dylan), Footsteps, Crown of Thorns (Mother Love Bone), Alone, Even Flow
2nd encore: Corduroy, Fuckin' Up (Neil Young), Rockin' In The Free World (Neil Young), Yellow Ledbetter/Little Wing (Jimi Hendrix)

Why just Aussies? We Americans see plenty of both of them.

Personally, I love U2's set up on the Vertigo tour, it's visually astounding as well as being seemingly intimate (at least in arenas) because of the stage set up and the band's interactions with the crowds.

Pearl Jam's a whole different animal. They don't put any flash in their shows, and honestly it wouldn't fit with their musical style. Most of their audiences is so passionate that the second Eddie Vedder stops singing for a breath, they'll continue the song perfectly loud. It's a really different crowd, really different style of music. I also really like how Pearl Jam always picks openers they can interact and play with (I hope U2 reciprocates this in Honolulu)

But personally I love both considering they're my two favorite bands (1. U2 2. Pearl Jam) and widely considered the two best live performers today, but if I had to pick only one it'd be U2.

powerhour24 said:
But personally I love both considering they're my two favorite bands (1. U2 2. Pearl Jam) and widely considered the two best live performers today, but if I had to pick only one it'd be U2.

as long as the boss is still alive and touring, he has a strangle hold on the #1 spot. everyone else is playing for second.

jphelmet said:

Streets greatest live song in history. Bad 2nd greatest live song in history. Nothing in PJ's catalog even close. Alive, and Even Flow are so boring live on recent tours- they need some sort of new take or to be retired for a long while (much like nyd and pride for u2) . Its all a matter of opinion, but comparing Do the Evolution to Streets or Bad is quite funny. I'm sure you threw that one in as a joke. (I will laugh every time from now on when I hear Do The Evolution).

Even Flow and Alive sound better to me than they ever did. Especially Even Flow who does have a much different take in the last couple of years than in the time it was composed.

Do the Evolution is one of the best rock and roll songs I've heard -it features two incredible riffs and its lyrics are really smartly crafted - the song is satirical and has much more substance than one would think. It also includes incredible crowd participation (witness the Live at the Garden DVD where the stage was bouncing during the song).

So no, I wasn't joking.

And that Newcastle setlist is fuckin' amazing. Imagine an equivalent of U2 concert where the boys would play The Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling, Spanish Eyes, Party Girl and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. That's how good it is.

Pearl Jam are indeed the best live band in the world. Side by side with U2. Totally for different reasons, as a lot of people have already pointed that out.

Last edited:
Of course the best of them really come sout wiht stuff like Black, Rockin in the Free World, Corduroy and Yellow Ledbetter.

djerdap said:

Even Flow and Alive sound better to me than they ever did. Especially Even Flow who does have a much different take in the last couple of years than in the time it was composed.

Do the Evolution is one of the best rock and roll songs I've heard -it features two incredible riffs and its lyrics are really smartly crafted - the song is satirical and has much more substance than one would think. It also includes incredible crowd participation (witness the Live at the Garden DVD where the stage was bouncing during the song).

So no, I wasn't joking.

And that Newcastle setlist is fuckin' amazing. Imagine an equivalent of U2 concert where the boys would play The Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling, Spanish Eyes, Party Girl and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. That's how good it is.

Pearl Jam are indeed the best live band in the world. Side by side with U2. Totally for different reasons, as a lot of people have already pointed that out.

Indeed. I thought Evolution was the highlight of Brisbane #2.
There are - I don't mean this as a criticism - two flipsides to Pearl Jam's varied and extended setlists as compared to U2. One is pace. PJ shows aren't paced the same way U2 shows are. They have a great, headlong energy about them, but they aren't carefully structured emotional journeys. U2's desire to craft a coherent experience is one of the reasons they repeat setlists. The primary structure of almost every PJ show, as far as I can tell, is simply fast-fast-slow-fast.
The second flipside is song quality. Pearl Jam never write bad music, and mediocre tracks often come to life live, but they do not write with the consistency of U2. Many U2 b-sides are grander and more carefully composed than many PJ album tracks. And songs like Leatherman, Down, and Thumbing My Way, (to chose from the Newcastle setlist), while lovely, are to me not as good as Love Comes Tumbling, 11 O'Clock, and Spanish Eyes. After a U2 show I can always remember the setlist. After PJ, I found myself unable to remember the order in which anything was played - and now, honestly, two weeks later, I can't even remember if they played Evenflow.
Again, I don't mean that as a criticism. It's just one of the differences between the bands that becomes particularly noticeable in concert.

Very interesting thread. U2 and Pearl Jam approach things (like live shows, touring, etc) so differently that it's hard to compare them... Almost like apples and oranges. Headache was pretty spot-on with his first post, though.

*Hands Up* I was at that Newcastle Show and it was f&%$ing awesome!!! That is what tipped it for me this touring summer after 3 U2 shows and 2 PJ shows in 2 weeks. Just wish there was some spontainity with U2.....

Back
Top Bottom