U2 Tour a bore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ouizy said:
...Setlists are just columns of text that in the end should mean nothing to anybody except I guess recorded show traders....It is all about the experience...

That is EXACTLY the point. I think you hit the nail on the head!

Originally posted by wizard2c
there has not been much written about the Vertigo tour except for the playlist changes. Is this what we can expect for the rest of the year. {yawnnnnnnn} :yawn:

carol
wizard2c
:|

Just wait til you see the concert !! It's AMAZING !!
I'm actually happy now that nothing has been overly mentioned
regarding the tour, because there's suppose to be more surprises coming (according to Bono) .. Now that I've already seen the show in LA ... I can't wait to see the future shows in Chicago and New York ... I'll see then what else changes during this tour. So, don't be so-ooo quick to start yawning .....
the wait is definitely worth it !!! :drool: :drool:

TheFly40 said:

Yes, I saw Anaheim 1 and have listened to bootlegs of the other shows. There's something missing.

Now don't confuse the crowd and the band--the crowd is definitely into it 100%, absolutely no question about that. The overall show on the other hand is flat.

ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation were all shows that I left feeling overwhelmed with excitement: the music, the production, the energy...a religious experience--can't even explain it. This time around I left thinking it was a fun night but it didn't blow me away. That doesn't mean it was a bad concert because it WAS good, but then at the same time it was only good.

I know this viewpoint upsets a lot of people, but it's my honest opinion of the show.

This kind of sums up my opinion but only based on the opening show which really isn't fair. We'll see what happens in Phoenix.

I just didn't know how wizard2c came to the conclusion that it was a bore based just on setlists when, as ouizy said, setlists really shouldn't matter that much. I honestly don't care what they play; I just want them to be into whatever they're doing. If they're into it, I'm into it--it's nearly impossible not to be. But they weren't all that into it opening night. :shrug:

TheFly40 said:
I have to agree with the original poster...the tour does seem to lack the energy and excitement compared to their other tours.

Based on past comments and recent interviews with the band I get the feeling that this tour has been a bit of a burden, especially considering the family crisis that The Edge is going through. The fact that they almost cancelled this tour makes me believe that there are some truly SERIOUS long-term issues going on behind the scenes.

As a result the shows seem flat. Maybe it's their age, maybe it's the personal issues, maybe they're just plain sick of touring after all these years? Regardless, I've picked up on a "going through the motions" vibe since the release of HTDAAB.

It will be very interesting to read interviews with the band after this tour ends. It will only be then that we discover what was really going on. Just like Popmart--everyone put on a happy facade but years later they admitted POP was rushed, they were underehersed, and the tour was a logistical and finacial nightmare.

Well ... I think you look at it from a strange perspective when you say they might be sick of touring. The tour was almost cancelled, but despite all the problems they decided to get on the road afterall. Sounds to me that it was something they really really wanted to do. :)

Boring? Hell no!

joyfulgirl said:

This kind of sums up my opinion but only based on the opening show which really isn't fair. We'll see what happens in Phoenix.

I just didn't know how wizard2c came to the conclusion that it was a bore based just on setlists when, as ouizy said, setlists really shouldn't matter that much. I honestly don't care what they play; I just want them to be into whatever they're doing. If they're into it, I'm into it--it's nearly impossible not to be. But they weren't all that into it opening night. :shrug:

They seemed into it to me :reject: I guess it's a matter of perception :shrug:

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

They seemed into it to me :reject: I guess it's a matter of perception :shrug:

No doubt. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :hug: I did, too--don't get me wrong--but something was missing for me.

kellyahern said:

But I thought that was because I was more relaxed too :lol:

That's a good point, actually--I was nervous for the band and nervous because my friend was seeing his first U2 show and, as you can imagine, I'd built it up to be the second coming. :lol:

It has to do with the setlists.

It is great that they are playing some Boy songs and Gloria was mind blowing.

They should leave these in and add more old gold nuggets.

Some of the "greatest hits" that have been (sometimes justifiably overplayed) sound great!

A lot of HTDAAB sounds great live. Who knew Yahweh would become a crowd favorite sing along?

Also, Bono is just not getting Zoo Station or Fly and Elevation needs to go.

They need to drop, IMO, these 3, a couple of the HTDAAB songs each night (maybe play ABOY and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own very other night) and rotate the greatest hits out.

In place of these play some old favorites as well as hidden gems that will connect live with a large portion of the audience.

Also some tricks are on the way soon as Bono has said.

Another thing is that Bono's voice sounds great and with a renewed energy....but.... he needs to pick and choose better when to show off his new strength! Do the yell, ABOY, scream the "we can be one" in NYD, etc.
He is letting some big moments slip although overall he sounds great.

Also, maybe play with the encore more. Come out one last time (after 40 even?) and play Wire or some other electrifying song just to blow people minds. Get them all sentimental and then just blow the roof off.

Another idea is to (since Edge is obviously on Fire AND experimenting with solo's a la BTBS) throw in another song or two with a solo. Love Is Blindness would be the best choice I think as that is his most gorgeous solo IMO and supposedly they rehearsed it.

ElectricalVoice said:

The tour was almost cancelled, but despite all the problems they decided to get on the road afterall. Sounds to me that it was something they really really wanted to do. :)

Boring? Hell no!

Something tells me this "show must go on" decision was made because of money and commitments they had within the music industry. I'm sure The Edge would much rather be with his ill daughter then traveling the globe with the tour.

redhill said:
It has to do with the setlists.

Another thing is that Bono's voice sounds great and with a renewed energy....but.... he needs to pick and choose better when to show off his new strength! Do the yell, ABOY, scream the "we can be one" in NYD, etc.
He is letting some big moments slip although overall he sounds great.

What? He's not doing the ABOY scream? That's my fav part! (Maybe he can get the audience to fill in, since that scream can probably run him down pretty well...good thing he saves ABOY until nearly the end.)

and this is the type of thread that makes me wanna just leave interference completly, truely pathetic

Also, maybe play with the encore more. Come out one last time (after 40 even?) and play Wire or some other electrifying song just to blow people minds. Get them all sentimental and then just blow the roof off.
I was thinking the same thing! Everyone expects 40 to be the end, and then you get kicked with ACROBAT or UTEOTW! (not bloody likely...)

TheFly40 said:

Something tells me this "show must go on" decision was made because of money and commitments they had within the music industry. I'm sure The Edge would much rather be with his ill daughter then traveling the globe with the tour.

I have to believe that unless his daughter was getting better Edge would have raised up a finger to the industry and just stayed at home. I know that if one of my kids was seriously ill I wouldn't leave their side for all of the shit in shinola.

Westport said:

I have to believe that unless his daughter was getting better Edge would have raised up a finger to the industry and just stayed at home. I know that if one of my kids was seriously ill I wouldn't leave their side for all of the shit in shinola.
:yes: :up: Totally agree

On one of these threads, someone posted an opening night interview with Edge, Paul McGuiness, and Bono. Rest assured: these men are far from complacent and *want* to be on tour with every ounce of their beings.
Obviously, these are family folks who love their spouses and kids, but they obviously love their day jobs as well.
Somehow this website/forum is like a teeter-totter bouncing between enforced adolescent adulation and unrepentent moaning and bitching. I'm definitely neither, i'm unrepentently moaning in my admiration and anticipation :wink:
love, Anu

Setlists???

C'mon.

I wish they would replay the setlist for Under a Blood Red Sky, but that's never going to happen.,

Last edited:
Westport said:

Hi all this actually my first time posting here. Another board I post on is sick of me I think. I've said all I can say since my next show isn't until Nov. lol

Anyway I've been to three shows so far this tour. SD I, Anaheim I and II. I must say I was a little disappointed in SD I. I didn't feel there was much energy and the transitions were awkward. Anaheim I with the setlist changes was much better and Anaheim II was awesome. We where directly behind Larry on the rail. Bono came over and sang Mysterious Ways to us and he really seemed to be enjoying himself. I was suprised the dancing topless lady never came down in front of our faces. My husband, 10 year old son, his 8 year old friend and I were of course ecstatic. He had a big grin on his face afterward. It was awesome.

After the first encore I made eye contact with Edge and I must say he looked a little sad or at least somber. He gave me a little nod. I was touched as my son is chronically ill and this has been a rough last few months. I can totally relate. I think he's very brave to go on under the circumstances. I pray she's improving.

I think you'll all find that the shows improve over time. Sure there were some snags. They are just getting warmed up.

Oh one more thing. After the show I saw the boys leave in their bathrobes! My hubby yelled thanks to Bono and he got a little wave in return. Great night! Don't know how I'm gonna last 7 long months!

Sorry if you went to Anaheim 1...it sounds like they were problems.

Problems at few shows does not a boring tour make.

Ask anyone at Anaheim 2 or LA2...if this tour is boring.

I bet the people without tickets would love to see U2 on the worst, most boring, with most mistakes night.

How can a tour be boring when thousands upon thousands upon thousands people from around would rather talk about how they don't like an intro to a song on 'this tour' without even seeing the show? That is has stirred up this much emotion, this much discusson IN THE SECOND WEEK!!!!.

Frankly i think it'll die down soon, Until the set list changes, and then people will complain about that.

A few things I think I think:

I think people are down on this tour because it isn't out-Zoo'ing Zoo an dout Pop-pping Pop.

I think people have forgotten what a Rock'n'roll show is all about.

I think the bar has been set unreachably high, u2 is so great in their minds that the reality can never hope to achieve the expectations.

I think most of the negatives are from people who haven't ACTUALLY SEEN A SHOW.

I think the BS people went through for tickets and the costs of the tickets has left them demanding more than they would normally get.

I think Anaheim 2 was as good a show as U2 has done in many years.

I think LA crowds are some of the worst, most apathetic crowds around, almost as bad as the zombies on the Boston DVD.

I've only listened to a couple of gigs over the net but there does definately seem to be 'something' missing.I can't quite put my finger on it and i do hope i'm totally wrong but there IS a feeling of going thru' the motions:( Hopefully i'm totally wrong and they rock Manchester:drool: (if the tour gets that far)

boystupidboy said:
I've only listened to a couple of gigs over the net but there does definately seem to be 'something' missing.I can't quite put my finger on it and i do hope i'm totally wrong but there IS a feeling of going thru' the motions:( Hopefully i'm totally wrong and they rock Manchester:drool: (if the tour gets that far)
jeesus i really cant belive how some people are talking about the tour not even getting as far as europe, from pretty much 90% of the reviews i have read everyone is saying there having fun,

am starting to loose faith in this board

KUEFC09U2 said:
jeesus i really cant belive how some people are talking about the tour not even getting as far as europe, from pretty much 90% of the reviews i have read everyone is saying there having fun,

am starting to loose faith in this board
Why are you 'starting to loose faith'?Because people post comments other than constant u2 'asskissing'?The majority of the negative posts are not wanting u2 to fail but are just expressing their opinions and hopes that the boys can produce another classic tour................peace:|

boystupidboy said:

Why are you 'starting to loose faith'?Because people post comments other than constant u2 'asskissing'?The majority of the negative posts are not wanting u2 to fail but are just expressing their opinions and hopes that the boys can produce another classic tour................peace:|
but from my stand point they are, and what was with the comment of not making it too manchester

boystupidboy said:
I've only listened to a couple of gigs over the net but there does definately seem to be 'something' missing.I can't quite put my finger on it

It's the fact that you weren't there.

I'm tellin ya, Anaheim 2 was just a great great show. You can NOT judge a show by a bootleg.

boystupidboy said:

Ahhhhh just me being my usual pesimistic self.....can't believe i've actually got tickets so summats bound to go wrong:ohmy:
ah right i get ya, i have that feeling all the time, but it will happen :)

qoute from cardosino:
"I think LA crowds are some of the worst, most apathetic crowds around, almost as bad as the zombies on the Boston DVD."

I have to concur at least for this present tour, especially for LA2. Now On LA1 was great energy, but my section near the stage (I lucked into some VIP seats) nearly all were sitting! I was shocked. Then on LA2 I lucked into another excellent seat right by the stage and during I think "Running to Stand Still" I get a tap on my back by some what older lady, who's not even behind me but like 4 seats over, motioning me to sit down. I refused especially since the person in front of me is standing as well as the woman behind me. This was a 1st and been going to their live shows since Joshua Tree and never been asked to sit down!!!

People It's U2 show not Crosby Stills Nash show!!!

:madspit:

wow lol how am glad i got GA'S, i would hate to be asked to sit down, i mean yes at a football (soccer) but not at a concert, specially not a U2 concert

Back
Top Bottom