U2 To Play Historic Fenway Park Next Fall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was listening to syndicated radio show "Retro Pop Reunion" with Joe Cortez and they had a U2 weekend. He mentioned that U2 had been confirmed to play a "massive" show at Boston's Fenway Park next fall. There had been rumors abound about this previously...thought it interesting this was "broken" on a syndicated radio show...but it would coincide with the band's time frame for returning to the U.S. and with the Red Sox ownership's recent habit of attracting one major rock/pop act a year to play Fenway...in fact I remember during a September Red Sox TV broadcast hearing Red Sox President Larry Lucchino addressing the subject of bringing in a "major" rock band to Fenway next year.

I know it's not "official" but it will happen...too many signs pointing in that direction. In fact, Red Sox GM Theo Epstein is a HUGE Pearl Jam fan and buddies with Eddie Vedder. Theo also plays in his own band and fact is he's a big music fan.

Life here in New England only gets better by the day...first World Series Championship in 86 years and U2 knocking one out of Fenway next year...see you all there!!!

LSTB

Hmmm, wouldnt surprise me except that Paul McGuinness officially said only arenas in the U.S. I think your theory makes more sense though as I had heard through the grapevine prior to the McGuinness announcement that there would be stadium shows on the 2nd leg in the U.S. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I definately think that in places like Boston, New York, Phili, DC, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, LA and SF, they should definately do stadiums. Otherwise, in order to satisfy demand they'd be doing 8 shows at the Fleet Center, 10 at MSG.

Springsteen did it a year ago, while Buffet did it this past September. Normally the 2nd weekend in September.

Here's to hoping that this comes true.....

as a fan from boston it would be incredible to see them play a landmark like fenway park..especially after we won the world series!!!

DubbalinGirl, have you seen a show at Fenway? I thought the same thing and wasn't gonna go to Springsteen. I scored some tickets and figured, what the hell, I love Bruce so I'll go...to my delight, it sounded great. Of course, I was first row behind homeplace (stage was in centerfield), so I wasn't under an overhang, might have some reverb in the grandstand sections...

When Pearl Jam played the FleetCenter in September, Eddie announced from stage that, "We'll see you next year, in Fenway." Pearl Jam seems more likely, based on what McGuinness has said about doing arenas, and Sox GM Theo Epstein's love of Pearl Jam. (Night the Sox clinched the Wild Card, Theo goes, "We're in the playoffs, now I can go see Pearl Jam") The FleetCenter holds about 18,000 for a concert, Fenway 30,000. However, Fenway could only be done on a weekend, due to the Red Sox, whereas the FleetCenter can be done on weeknights and weekends (Maybe a combo?) Bruce and Buffett were on weekends in September, but I don't think that's a fast rule. I think that was more coincidence than anything. Buffett always comes to Boston on Labor Day, and Bruce was in the Northeast on a leg for the Rising Tour and that weekend worked for him and the Red Sox. The Sox have to be away for at least Thursday to Thursday for a weekend concert to take place.

I would think that if U2 does a rumored Stadium tour in 2006, that Fenway would be an option then.

MrU2Macphisto said:
DubbalinGirl, have you seen a show at Fenway? I thought the same thing and wasn't gonna go to Springsteen. I scored some tickets and figured, what the hell, I love Bruce so I'll go...to my delight, it sounded great. Of course, I was first row behind homeplace (stage was in centerfield), so I wasn't under an overhang, might have some reverb in the grandstand sections...

Yep, and the seats weren't as good as yours and I couldn't understand a bleeding thing that was said. Plus, it's dark, no lights on steps or on the way to the restrooms so you kill yourself climbing over people. It was my all time most miserable concert experience ever (and I've survived Slane!). I'd rather schlepp down to Foxboro if it's going to be outside at all.

Would love to score some tickets on top of da monsta for this one!!!!!!! Life as a Sox fan just keeps gettin better=)

In today's Boston Globe, Steve Morse (Globe's U2 fan/expert) says to expect the Fleet Center in the spring but that the rumors of Fenway next summer are wrong.

If U2 is building an outdoor stage to handle the European leg, then why not bring it to the U.S. to handle the fall leg? That's what they did for Pop and AB, and Foxboro played host to three nights each tour. They did U.S. arenas in the spring; outdoor stadiums in Europe that summer; then outdoor stadiums here that fall. Bono and the boys will do a double-take when they see Gillette Stadium. Indeed, many of the outdoor stadiums they played previously have been replaced by newer and bigger structures.

Chris in New Hampshire

Bummer, Fenway would have been cool! Especially with that Red Sox magic now that the curse is gone. :wink:

NHChris said:
If U2 is building an outdoor stage to handle the European leg, then why not bring it to the U.S. to handle the fall leg? That's what they did for Pop and AB, and Foxboro played host to three nights each tour. They did U.S. arenas in the spring; outdoor stadiums in Europe that summer; then outdoor stadiums here that fall. Bono and the boys will do a double-take when they see Gillette Stadium. Indeed, many of the outdoor stadiums they played previously have been replaced by newer and bigger structures.

Chris in New Hampshire

that's not entirely true. In 1992 U2 did indoors in the spring, indoors in europe in the summer, and then did the "outside broadcast" tour in the states in the fall of 1992, the first outdoor shows of the zoo tv tour.

Popmart was entirely stadiums from the get-go, which is why they decided to go back to the arenas after the difficulties they had with that.

I would also be honestly surprised if U2 could sell out a stadium tour in the states. I think it worked so well in 1992 because it was the first time U2 was out of the public eye for several years in a row, so the pent-up demand to see them live was at an all-time high.

Now people are used to U2 taking 4 years to do an album :rolleyes: so its not *quite* as big a deal when they do tour. Plus, with the minimalist staging they have taken a favor to, I imagine the show won't be nearly as much fun for those in the nosebleeds. I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to see Elevation from the back of Gillette Stadium, you literally would not see the band.

Any Fenway show has to get city licensing board approval, which was big news the last 2 years when the hearings were held, so if U2 or Pearl jam were to attempt to play Fenway, news about it would be out long in advance and none has surfaced as yet.

As for Eddie Vedder, his quote of "see you next year, Fenway" should be : "see you next, year...Fenway?:shrug: " cause thats how he said it, with a questioning tone and a shoulder shrug( I was in the 8th row, saw and heard it quite clearly)...obviosly the band would like to play there, but its not an easy place to get approval to play.

I think there's a good chance we'll see some concert at Fenway in 2005, but my guess is it won't be 4 lads from Dublintown.

Back
Top Bottom