U2 to perforn 'In the Round'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man

Thom's Bitch
Its a possibility. Often, there are little givaways about the theme of U2's live show before they tour. For instance, they had a pic of the popmart stage idea in the Pop CD booklet.

Maybe they will follow on from the idea of the Vertigo video and play 'in the round' this time round. They are always looking for concepts they havent really used before, this might be one of them. A stage in the centre of the area, with catwalks going out either side perhaps.

Thoughts?

They actually explored this possibility for both Popmart and Elevation. So I wouldnt be shocked if they came up with something along those lines. Will it be full blown in the round (ala Def Leppard), I doubdt that. But it could be some type of variation of it. I know Edge mentioned how impressed they were with Metallica's stage set up from several years ago. That stage covered most of the arena floor. Should be interesting to see what Willie comes up with this time regardless.

Def Leppard pulled it off because they all jumped around so much. I'm afraid that if U2 tries it, half the audience it going to be stuck looking at Edge, Adam and Larry's back the whole show.

They really got it right with the big heart stage. Maybe they can do 2 hearts, one on either side, with a revolving stage in the middle. That would definitely give them Vertigo. I'd hate to be the guys stuck on the revolver the whole show. :dance:

Metallica did their tour in the round. This would eliminate people from camping out since everyone has an equal chance getting front row by opening up certain sides.

Blue Room said:
I know Edge mentioned how impressed they were with Metallica's stage set up from several years ago. That stage covered most of the arena floor.
That was a great stage set up. Whole band starts out at one end of the arena for a few songs, as show progresses, James, Kirk and Jason start to explore middle runways and spread out, about halfway thru a 2nd drum kit appears and Lars trolls his way to the other end of the arena, and the other bandmates end up down that end with him at close of show. It really encompassed the entire length of the floor.

Hewson said:
That was a great stage set up. Whole band starts out at one end of the arena for a few songs, as show progresses, James, Kirk and Jason start to explore middle runways and spread out, about halfway thru a 2nd drum kit appears and Lars trolls his way to the other end of the arena, and the other bandmates end up down that end with him at close of show. It really encompassed the entire length of the floor.

Yes but the best side in the round is the side facing the Front of the House. Metallica's stage was a square which rotated one full time.

A friend of mine thinks it will be apple-shaped with a revolving stage in the configuration of a click-wheel . . . but I hope not!

What would be cool is if the stage was in the center and round and then they had another narrow walkway around the stage. (Like the heart walk ways)Then in between the walk way and the stage they had a room for fans (like the ones that were in the heart).

I hope its like Metallica's set up. This would eliminate camping out. You can easily sneak and get your spot, unless you have Blue Hair and abuse your priveilages.

Super_Fan said:

Yes but the best side in the round is the side facing the Front of the House. Metallica's stage was a square which rotated one full time.
The stage set up I'm talking about was not this past Metallica Tour, it was from the Load tour, it wasn't really "in the round", it was a double stage connected by runways that essentially covered the entire arena floor.

met_9557.jpg

met02.jpg

Metallica also had a great setup when they toured(seemingly forever) for the black album.

What if U2 had a circle with arms that extended out from the center of the circle like a galaxy with its spiral arms?

Larry could be in the center and Bono, Edge, and Adam could be on the arms and fans could occupy space in between the arms that spiral out from the center.

Last edited:
I hope it's not set up like Prince's "in the round" because some people got stuck behind drum kits and the like and couldn't see--and these were front row tickets. :|

ultrraviolette said:
I hope it's not set up like Prince's "in the round" because some people got stuck behind drum kits and the like and couldn't see--and these were front row tickets. :|

I had second row, directly behind the drums and have to admit I was disappointed. However, a 4 piece band would be a lot easier to work around than the crew Prince was touring with.... There are a lot more "very good" seats in the round than there is with the normal set up. Not as many great ones.

Back
Top Bottom