u2 Tickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kronsk

Babyface
Bono wants to save the world but he cant even fix his own ticket debacle. Awful lot of rich yuppies without a clue last night. Yeah Im bitter

Not much Bono or anyone can do if people are willing to spend obscene amounts of money for a ticket to see U2.
These people just want to flaunt how much money they have to burn. It might impress some -- but to me it just seems like materialism gone to the extreme. It does make it more difficult for real U2 fans to get tickets. I am going to Boston and hope to get a ticket at face value. I can't believe all of those tickets will sell on eBay... for such out of this world prices.

Zooropa1310 said:
If you check gotickets.com there is a GA for Portland, selling for $955

:|

My own soul isn't worth that much

I've wound up with pairs of GA for 3 shows.

Total cost: $350, thanks to U2's ticket fuck-up.

Thanks U2.com.:wink:

I go crazy whenever I see U2 fan tickets on E-bay- no U2 fan should sell their tickets there. They would sell them at face to a fan in need!!!

They could fix it

All they would have to do is make the good seats will call only. with a two ticket limit. I mean who would really buy 8 tickets at 160 except for a broker. wait in line for tickets like we did in the good ol days. None of this internet shit with people from butfuck egypt buying and selling tickets for local shows...

I can fix it....

Just remember many a "rich" yuppie were starving students in the '80's and 90's and U2 fans. I bought 2 fan tickets using my U2.com membership in the presale, which got me average seats for $165 each ($330+) and bought 3 GA's off Ebay for $110 each ($330+). Who's to say what is fair and what isn't?

Thank God for places like and interference because there are good fans will to sell tickets at face.

A great fan couldn't make the St. Louis show and sold me his tickets 11 rows from the stage even with the ellipse for face! Tickets in worse sections are going for $800.

Also got two GA's at face for the Detroit show because of a great fan. If you look around the net good tickets can be had for face!

Well face tickets are a bit steep, no doubt. But I'm not really complaining, cause I try for GA every time. Although, like most people, it's tough to be successful each time.

I dropped $500 for a pair to Montreal 11/26, and $200 for a GA for 11/28. Lots of money ... and money that I don't have a whole lot of. But oh well, I'll regret it if I don't.

Mike

Um... call me crazy but you can't really be upset on how other people choose to spend their hard earned money? If someone wants to spend $900, so be it. It's going to happen regardless b/c that is what the market will allow.

I've had no choice but to use brokers (much to my dismay) because that was the only way I could get tickets...I can't wait on line all day for tickets or try endlessly (without ever having success) on ticketbastard.com .. so I for one am happy I have another alternative. Believe me, it hurts me more than it hurts you...

(no I did not spend $900 on a ticket but I certainly paid well over face for all the shows I've attended this year)

I guess what I am trying to say is don't waste your energy worrying or being upset about this because its not something that Bono or anyone can really resolve. Just be happy you got to attend

peace.

I dont care what somebody spends your missing the point. Ive been going to u2 concerts since I was 14 /The Unforgettable Fire Although that doesnt make me an authority on the topic I can tell you over the last 20 Years ITs gotten more and more dificult to get tickets. Granted they are more popular than they where but Ive seen other bands make a better attempt at fixing the problem. Actually I settle for any attempt. My wife and I have spent well over 15 grand over the last 20 years of u2 concerts so I dont have a problem with the whole supply and demand argument. Its just that I have kids now and cant afford that kinda crap..

The sollution is Will Call scalpers dont get involved when its like that....Also as a former Propaganda member who got shut out this time I am very bitter. Ive payed my dues people.

Re: They could fix it

kronsk said:
All they would have to do is make the good seats will call only. with a two ticket limit. I mean who would really buy 8 tickets at 160 except for a broker. wait in line for tickets like we did in the good ol days. None of this internet shit with people from butfuck egypt buying and selling tickets for local shows...

I can fix it....

Absolutely right! Sell tickets for personal pick up -- show ID with credit card when you pick up your tickets at the venue. No distant Internet scalper is going to buy tickets then fly to the venue to pick them up, then fly home and resell them. Internet/Ticketmaster worldwide sales combined with Ebay have turned a good idea into a massive scalping nightmare for regular fans. Not to mention people who might have an interest in the band, but are not big fans (yet), but are discouraged by jumping into the international 10 minute venue sell-out gauntlets.

Re: They could fix it

kronsk said:
None of this internet shit with people from butfuck egypt buying and selling tickets for local shows...

I can fix it....

I have always thought of U2 fans as "smart" and being sensitive, but every once in awhile we get posts like this. You could have said exactly what you wanted to say without being derogatory, like "freaking Egypt (or Canada, the United Kingdom, France, etc.)."

Otherwise, I just heard that scalping U2 tickets is a hallowed past time in Egypt. :|

You cant cut out one sentence out of a paragraph and call the whole thing derogetory...

I quoted the specific portion that was derogatory, because it is derogatory. You made your point (a valid one) about the rich yuppies at the Tuesday MSG concert, and then unnecessarily piled on Egypt.

Oy Vey... can't people make a point without having to write something nasty / derogatory.... aren't there rules for polite behavior.

I've being going since '87; I had to buy my JT tickets from a broker.. Paid $100 per ticket back then with my tip money from Friendly's... It was hard then and is hard now to get tickets... but its also hard to get tickets for The Wiggles and Peter Pan...

again, this argument is wasting energy...

FYI, U2 presale for OZ is will call only... so you must be brilliant

tbird said:
Um... call me crazy but you can't really be upset on how other people choose to spend their hard earned money? If someone wants to spend $900, so be it. It's going to happen regardless b/c that is what the market will allow.

No, I disagree with you on this point: It's not a matter of just what the market will allow or bare -- unless you believe scalping is legal and oil companies are in need of more money? There was a day when scalping was considered highly illegal. In many countries it is still considered a crime. It is taking advantage of supply and demand by manipulating it; you know, in the corporate world and in the Stock Markets you can get thrown in jail for manipulating supply and demand. Look at it this way: if X company in Y country with special software bought all the tickets for the U2 Portland concert in 15 seconds after they went on sale, and then turned around and sold them for $2000 per ticket, assuming that a 30% sale would be profitable for them, we would all be screwed.

Would that be OK? Would it be OK if it were life saving drugs instead of tickets?

I will agree with you on one point though, it's up to us, not U2, to recognize what is ethically correct and try to see through this issue of tickets and realize that it is also a problem on a macro scale of "supply and demand". This is problem for our politicians and legal systems to be made aware of; unfortunately certain "businesses" have greater say in repealing scalping laws for their own advantage. Ticket master knows it will get a 100% sale when they can sell a local concert to the world’s scalpers. So I'm not going to shrug my shoulders and just say, "oh well, it's just supply and demand or what the market will allow." This is a much bigger issue than just tickets; so money has become our only ethic it seems.

(I apologize for my peachiness)

kronsk said:
I dont care what somebody spends your missing the point. Ive been going to u2 concerts since I was 14 /The Unforgettable Fire Although that doesnt make me an authority on the topic I can tell you over the last 20 Years ITs gotten more and more dificult to get tickets. Granted they are more popular than they where but Ive seen other bands make a better attempt at fixing the problem. Actually I settle for any attempt. My wife and I have spent well over 15 grand over the last 20 years of u2 concerts so I dont have a problem with the whole supply and demand argument. Its just that I have kids now and cant afford that kinda crap..

The sollution is Will Call scalpers dont get involved when its like that....Also as a former Propaganda member who got shut out this time I am very bitter. Ive payed my dues people.

When I first thought about, I thought Will Call was a solution. But then you have to realize that means 20,000 people in line the day of the show waiting to pick up their tickets mainly over just a two hour period. If there were 20 boxoffice spots open to handle Will Call, you would have hundreds of people in each line. I think it would simply take to long.

I think Will CALL for the GA tickets could be done though. There are only 2,000 GA tickets per arena show.

U2 should have done stadiums in the United States this year. The demand was there for it obviously, and it would have prevented this ticket drama situation.

Also I remember back in the day sleeping out in front of the capitol theatre for tickets. The line was full of fans and you waited and where rewarded for the wait. Not to mention if there where scalpers in the line(and they where easy to point out) Nobody would hold there place for them. Ticketmaster sucks... oh sorry MTEDGE stinks...

kronsk said:
Ticketmaster sucks... oh sorry MTEDGE stinks...

OK, this borders on childish. I also always thought that U2 fans were mature. This proves that, unfortunately, there are exceptions to every rule.

The whole concept is childish crying about not playing your favorite song. Ticketmaster crying... Not to mention setlist/finding your christmass presents...

Guilty Your honor

kronsk said:
\My wife and I have spent well over 15 grand over the last 20 years of u2 concerts so I dont have a problem with the whole supply and demand argument. Its just that I have kids now and cant afford that kinda crap..

It looks as if you've decided what you are spending your money on now.

You used to be able to afford any price for tickets, but now you have kids and can't.

So there you go. :shrug:

kronsk said:
Also I remember back in the day sleeping out in front of the capitol theatre for tickets. The line was full of fans and you waited and where rewarded for the wait. Not to mention if there where scalpers in the line(and they where easy to point out) Nobody would hold there place for them. Ticketmaster sucks... oh sorry MTEDGE stinks...
no need for the name calling.

kronsk said:

That will stop trading, but it won't do a damn thing to the scalpers. They'll buy the tickets, then they'll walk in one of 2 people and give the other a crap seat ticket. If there's any wristbands needed, they'll figure out a way to get it on the wrist of the 2nd person.

Trust me, I saw this happen repeatedly in Dallas on Springsteen's Reunion tour.

Regardless, I find it hard for u2 to get too upset about scalpers when they're charging almost $200.00 for decent to good seats, 100+ for ok to bad seats and $65 for crap seats (upper deck behind the stage).

Yeah, G.A. is a great deal (well if they didn't have the lottery anyway), but everything else is way overpriced. I suppose I'd be able to live with it if I was grossing an average of 3 million a night.

kronsk said:
The whole concept is childish crying about not playing your favorite song. Ticketmaster crying... Not to mention setlist/finding your christmass presents...

Guilty Your honor

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Apparently, what it boils down to is that you're pissed because you couldn't purchase excellent U2 tickets because you have kids. You're also pissed because you feel that, as a former Propaganda member, you deserved better... an early Christmas present even.

To a certain extent, I empathize with you. Kids are not cheap. But everyone will agree that they are invaluable as well. With that said, you were able to afford $15k on U2 concerts--an outright luxury--in the past. Many U2 fans, myself included, would have loved to have caught the earlier tours, and would have jumped at the chance to hear such classics as One Tree Hill, Seconds, Gloria (one4u2 is going to kill me! :wink:), WOWY (with Bono's younger voice :drool:), The Unforgettable Fire, and Mothers of the Diappeared live. You should revel in that instead of effectively asking for some kinda reward for having seen the earlier U2 tours.

As to being a former Propaganda member, I am astonished that you weren't able to get excellent tickets. Us, former Prop members, did get an early Christmas present... it came in March. Virtually every Prop member will say that U2 did right by its former propaganda members by enabling former Prop members the opportunity to purchase TWO tickets to TWO different shows. In fact, many people on this message board will attest to the fact on how EASY it was to get PRIMO presale tickets for the third leg shows. I get the feeling that you weren't even a U2.com member.

Lastly, there were tons of excellent tickets available for the October MSG shows for face value after Ticketmaster released additional tickets about ten days before the shows. In fact, I purchased a pair from TM for the 10/11 show and sat just 9 rows from The Edge. (If you want proof, check out the video I took from that show or from any of the other MSG shows, which were posted in the Audio/Video forum.)

Where there's a will, there's a way to see U2 live... Scalpers are but a mere obstacle, really.

MTEdge said:

As to being a former Propaganda member, I am astonished that you weren't able to get excellent tickets. Us, former Prop members, did get an early Christmas present... it came in March. Virtually every Prop member will say that U2 did right by its former propaganda members by enabling former Prop members the opportunity to purchase TWO tickets to TWO different shows. In fact, many people on this message board will attest to the fact on how EASY it was to get PRIMO presale tickets for the third leg shows. I get the feeling that you weren't even a U2.com member.

I agree 100%. I known someone who had their internet access die just before 3rd leg presale tickets went, and 15 minutes later he still got floor tickets for MSG shows. Furthermore, I'm not even sure that anyone that had a regular U2.com membership had problems getting floors on the 3rd leg, but I don't know for sure.

I've got issues with the boys, but they did fine with Prop members (so long as your show wasn't on the first two legs, of course).

Back
Top Bottom