U2 Santiago 2006 DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponkine

Refugee
Hola Amigos :yes:

The title says it all. This is a REAL possibility... and it depends on you ;)

After attending to a wonderful and unforgettable gig in Santiago last Sunday 26-02-2006, we knew the show was captured in its complete by the U2 Team. Neverthless, later they said they were going to film Buenos Aires shows for an upcoming DVD :tsk:

Please trust me my friends, really. It´s not that I´m Chilean but really the single show performed in Chile was by far superior to both Buenos Aires nights And weee simply don´t want to see an inferior quality performance on DVD . Bono´s voice was almost perfect, cristal clear and extremely powerful. In Argentina was a little rough, having some noticiable problems during some parts. And the crowd was a extreme difference: While in Chile even the band was surprised by the Chilean crowd (you can see it on thei faces!!) - read what Paul McGuinness Said about this landmark concert - Argentinian crowd was very flat, boring and asleep.

At the second night, for example, you could notice how the band was annoyed by the cold crowd, they didn´t invite any girl onstage for With Or Without You, and they simply didn´t play Love Is Blindness, a song planned to play it full last Buenos Aires Night. On Chile they finished the concert with champagne and words from EVERY U2 MEMBER !!!, YES even Adam said some words !!! .There were no goodbye nor bottles in Argentina.

Sadly, this is nothing new for us, having performed what is considered by most of collectors (including me) the truly BEST Pop Mart Concert in Santiago 11-02-1998, they went with such a wrong choice: Mexico City 1997. The result?: Pop Mart Mexico VHS was a disaster, extremely poor sales and hated by the critics.

Now the same thing happened with Chicago DVD, poor sales and bad comments not only by the critics even by the fans !! (just go to www.amazon.com) :shocked:

Now is our time to change things, let´s do something.
Please sing the petition asking the band to release Santiago 2006 DVD instead A wonderful show full of spontaneity, emotion, electricity and passion. Something that lacked even in Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo and Mexico.

http://www.petitiononline.com/dvdchile/petition.html

SPREAD THE WORD, DON´T EXPECT SUGGEST

PS. just add your full name, your city and your country. If you want it, your e-mail. THAT´S ALL

Thank you very much
:heart:

Hi,

I totally agree with you about the quality of the concerts, I was there on the chilean concert I must say that I was amazed, specially about the crowd. I will support you, but I don't have many hopes. The producers of the chilean show were "DG Medios Argentina" and they designed the Buenos Aires shows knowing that they will be recorded for the DVD, surely there are contracts already signed and there were also the famous 3D cameras that the band used on Argentina.

I don't know if you saw the chilean concert because I understood that it wasn't televised so I don't know how good it was "on the tape". In any case, it is worth to do the effort... and I will spread the petition.

saludos.

And for me and many others Rome and Amsterdam 3 was the BEST VERTIGO outdoor gig, let's start a petition to release these shows....and let's start a petition for different setlits...and better weather....and.....and....

ponekine or perrolobo, i think you're opinons would stand up a lot more if you were at the argentinian shows too! Glad you had a great time though.

Argentina II was superb, great concert from the guys. Best performances of Mysterious Ways and All I Want Is You I've ever seen.

They're always good shows that aren't released on DVD or single or whatever, but that's all in the game, you can't get to release every good concert. Milan will be great, Argentina will be great too. And off course maybe they were better concerts, but you don't know that before planning to film something.

I want Milan released.

- and I don't think I need a petition. It'll happen.

Were do you get the info on the poor sales and reviews for Popmart Mexico?

and the Chicago DVD gets poor reviews due to the directing of Hamilton (not sure about the name) at least that's the main reason.

I really don't see U2 having 3 DVDs for one tour and Milan should be pretty much done by now, the only thing I think will get will be the Argentinean IMAX shows.

If Chile was truly the best latinamerican show I'm sure U2 will take note for the next tour

I did not see Chile, I did not see Buenos Aires I, but Buenos Aires II was impressive and as unforgettable to me as probably Santiago was to you. When you attend a show your perception of the the situation is obviously much different from what you can see on TV, and that tends to make you believe that no other show within a certain tour can be as good as the one you saw. You can't be objective.

On BA II The Edge was fantastic and Bono's singing sounded really good to me, and frankly when I was there I was certainly not in the mood for pondering whether his voice was slightly raspier than in Chile (or anywhere else for that matter). And if it was, it does not change my perception of the extraordinary experience attending the show was, nor makes me wish I had attended a different date.

As for the crowd you may have a point. To tell the truth it surprised me, since Argentinian crowds are famous among artists as some of the wildest and warmest in the world - proof is The Ramones chose Buenos Aires for their farewell concert, and the Stones are always mentioning their BA shows as some of their favourites because of the crowds.

The crowd was quite wild within the circle as I could see - so that was probably NOT the reason why Bono did not invite anyone to dance with him on stage. It's true however that the crowd wasn't as enthusiastic in the rest of the stadium - not that they were anything like the living dead - but I've certainly seen wilder crowds in other concerts held here. In fact I was in the seats area and was almost embarrassed to be there yelling and jumping and singing every single song. Probably the fact that tickets were extremely expensive prevented a younger audience from attending, and also it's worth to mention that many tix went to travel agencies (there were lots of foreigners around - esp entire families) and to sponsors who distributed them among their execs. Hardly candidates to make a wild crowd. Also I noticed that most of the crowd were casual fans who only knew the band's hits (esp their most recent ones).

As for LIB, how do you happen to KNOW it was planned to be played full on second night and wasn't?? Setlists are not publicised in advance and with U2 still in Argentina I can hardly imagine anybody related to the band actually making it known that LIB was supposed to played at the second show and wasn't because the band did not like the crowd... :eyebrow:

As for Buenos Aires being chosen for the IMAX filming - I daresay that whover's in charge of production must have performed extensive field studies as to decide which location was more suitable. U2 had been both to Chile and Argentina before - there certainly must be a number of good reasons why BA was chosen instead of Santiago and the fact that DG Entertainment is Argentina based is most certainly NOT one of them, since they haven't a thing to do with the DVD or its distribution.

People just go to concerts and want the shows they attended filmed and released. The tread starter says it was the best concert just because that person was at it

Milan will be released and so will BA (somehow)

Last edited:
we knew the show was captured in its complete by the U2 Team.

What? Where do you get this from??? Was it broadcasted in Chile?
I thought they had only one professioell Camera (3D HD) working on that concert?

I believe that the IMAX film, which will also have impressiones from Mexiko, Chile and Brasil, not only argentina, make his way to my DVD Player in a 2D Version.

I hope and pray that not instead Milan will win the race for the DVD release. Hamilton and U2 that doesn´t fit together. All his U2-realeases are horrible to watch. No style.
Hamilton! Watch "Rattle and Hum" and learn!

Hamish Hamilton travelled along with the band for the South American shows. I was front row at Sao Paulo 1 and hours before the show, Hamish came on stage with the director for that's night's broadcast on Globo TV. Hamish came down to the front and I was able to talk with him. I asked him if there would be any commercial release for the Sao Paulo show and he said, no, but that the Milan dvd will be out at the end of the year.

I would rather see any of the South American shows released more than Milan, but I really doubt that after releasing Chicago and Milan shows as dvds for the Vertigo tour, that a third concert will be released from this tour on dvd. The only exception to this that I could see would be releasing the Buenos Aires Imax film eventually onto dvd a few years down the road.

Last edited:
First of all, it is almost impossible to have a "bad" U2 concert. To all of us in this forum such event is no less than a lifetime experience (specially for us in South America, who have them every 8 years or more).

However a word can be said about organization. I've never saw a worst organization or production as the one that DG Medios Argentina did here on Chile. I arrived 7 hours before the show to get a good place on the court; the doors were supposed to be opened at 14:00, just one entrance was prepared for us and we had to make an stupid round and walk around 10 blocks to reach it. We were there until 18:00 hrs, just to realize that the doors were colapsed and they've decided to open two extra entrances and the court was half full by the time we get inside the stadium (no explanation, no apoligize). The cost of the tickets here were the highest by far in all the region and the producers hesitated to do the chilean step until the last day.

The group was here less than 24 hrs and I have to say that the amplify were very poor compared with the Pop Mart incredible concert they did here, and from what I could see in the screens of the stadium the shots and the filming were poor also, I could see the cameras and they used at least half of the resources used on both argentineans concerts.

Nonetheless, with all these facts in count, the chilean concert was, by far, better than the argentineans and according to others, better than the brazilian ones. And I'm trying to be as objective as I can saying this. It is sad that we have to wait so many years to get U2 in this part of the world but at least we deserve a good treatment from the local producers. I don't have doubts about there will be a latin america Vertigo DVD but I'm pissed off about the low proffesional level of the local producers and I really think the band has no responsabilities on these matters. But the fact that they are coming to visit us before they continue the tour in Australia is a clue about what are their feelings I guess (hehehe).

the petition goes on and let us do what we want with our hopes, please...

Last edited:
ponkine said:

Please trust me my friends, really. It´s not that I´m Chilean but really the single show performed in Chile was by far superior to both Buenos Aires nights

I really have no way of knowing whether you were at both BsAs shows or not, but judging from your next comment I find it hard to believe that you were.

ponkine said:

Argentinian crowd was very flat, boring and asleep.

That is simply not true. I was on the field the first night and I felt like I was in a small club watching a punk band. The crowd was VERY physical and vocal. They sang along all all the right times (and even some wrong times)! On a number of times during the concert there were huge smiles on the band member´s faces.

ponkine said:

At the second night, for example, you could notice how the band was annoyed by the cold crowd, they didn´t invite any girl onstage for With Or Without You,

Yeah, it didn't happen on the first night either. I'll admit that I was a little surprised but it has become such a cliche at U2 concerts now that I could stand to see it be put aside for a while.

Bono did bring up a young kid during SBS to sing.

ponkine said:

and they simply didn´t play Love Is Blindness, a song planned to play it full last Buenos Aires Night.

?? How do you know that it was planned?

ponkine said:

On Chile they finished the concert with champagne and words from EVERY U2 MEMBER !!!, YES even Adam said some words !!! .There were no goodbye nor bottles in Argentina.

No bottles - true. It could be entirely possible that they didn't want to deviate from the concert script since it was being filmed for a future release.

Anyway, in no way do I want to take way from your experience of the Santiago show. I am glad that it was such a powerful night for you. Let's just try and keep things in perspective. I also hope that the Santiago show makes it into wide circulation but there's no need to slag off the other shows.

Peace.

I can't see why U2 don't release many DVDs of this tour. Other artists have released MULTIPLE DVD recently:

Clapton, McCartney, P. Gabriel, Elton, Usher, Shania, hendrix and Blondie.

Maybe the 3rd DVD concert could somehow be a U2.com only thing.

Lastly, why does Hamish get all the blame for his editing and U2's management are left unscathed? Some of HH other work is watchable.

u2fp

@helup - thanks for the information, very interesting.

That makes sense. Williams mention in his tour diary that the second Milan gig was one of the best performances he saw.

And also: The IMAX Film will probably run a long time in the Theaters. So perhaps we will see a 2D Version in some years. Your are probalby right.

The Stones 2D Version IMAX is still running in some IMAX Theaters. Last year for exampel in the Londoner IMAX. So they could realese Milan, and then in the following years the IMAX Movie on DVD. If this DVD would come too quickly no one would walk in the cinemas to see the 3D Version. I really hope that this ist going to be a major success. I love 3D.

I also hope that we finally see also Popmart, ZooTV, 1980-1990, Red Rocks on DVD, this I would prefer more than another Hamilton Vertigo-Film.

ponkine said:
Please trust me my friends, really. It´s not that I´m Chilean but really the single show performed in Chile was by far superior to both Buenos Aires nights And weee simply don´t want to see an inferior quality performance on DVD . Bono´s voice was almost perfect, cristal clear and extremely powerful. In Argentina was a little rough, having some noticiable problems during some parts. And the crowd was a extreme difference: While in Chile even the band was surprised by the Chilean crowd (you can see it on thei faces!!) - read what Paul McGuinness Said about this landmark concert - Argentinian crowd was very flat, boring and asleep.

Typical resentful e-mail...

One thing is to promote your concert and a very different thing is to dismiss other crowds by saying that they were flat and boring... did you go to all the concerts to be able to compare? or are you just playing by word of mouth? Did you see the second Buenos Aires concert though the Internet? I did not see the audience being flat... at all.

I hate people that, instead of promoting their event on their own virtues, decide to criticize the other ones...

So maybe you'll get your DVD, but probably through a bootleg.

:mad:

perrolobo said:

Nonetheless, with all these facts in count, the chilean concert was, by far, better than the argentineans and according to others, better than the brazilian ones.

Who the hell said that the chile concert was better than the brazilian ones ? Beside chilean of course , you can´t seriously mean that the chilean audience was better than the brazilian one . Just wacth what Edge said about Sao Paulo 2 , and what Larry said about the brazilian kind of crowd .

J_NP said:

Who the hell said that the chile concert was better than the brazilian ones ? Beside chilean of course , you can´t seriously mean that the chilean audience was better than the brazilian one . Just wacth what Edge said about Sao Paulo 2 , and what Larry said about the brazilian kind of crowd .

Everybody relax, take a pill or something...

I admit that Ponkine's way of expressing is resentful, but I also think she has a point (assuming that she is a 'she'). None of you could see the chilean concert, because chilean television couldn't afford the cost of broadcasting (and believe me, it was not because they don't have enough money). That was one more chapter on the horrible and 'plently of contempt' argentinean production of the Santiago concert. As I said before, until the last moment it was on doubt and they didn't do too much to get it done, they simply did not care if there was or not a chilean step. But we could see the concerts in Argentina and Brazil through the TV.

And J_NP: I was clear I didn't see the brazilian ones, I just had news of them from other people, but I saw the argentinean and from I could see I can tell that the chilean one was better, and that is simply my humble opinion (and the opinion of the people who are signing the petition). I'm sure that all the concerts were great (I also said that) and all of us had a great time and maybe 'in the tape' the chilean concert could lose a lot and I can change my mind, but I won't know until I see it.

I'm just saying that I think the chilean one was the best and the most moving one and that we deserve a better treatment from argentinean producers who were just thinking on his precious 3D DVD and came here just to make some money, and here the crowd showed them that the best concert is made by the people and not by the money or the expensive cameras.

I apologize if my opinions are too much for someone.:banghead: :drool: :lol:

saludos....

Last edited:
Re: Re: U2 Santiago 2006 DVD

U2@NYC said:

Did you see the second Buenos Aires concert though the Internet?

I saw BOTH Buenos Aires shows, so I have a strong point to compare the gigs,
and what about you? ...

did you see the Santiago show? I really don´t think so, your cheap words about Argentinian crowd at "the best in the world" and all that stuff makes me realize you haven´t seen anything :|

Re: Re: Re: U2 Santiago 2006 DVD

by the way... do you think Paul McGuinness is resentful person just because what pointed out ONLY about Santiago show?. He didn´t make that comment about Argentinian or Mexican or Brazilian shows...

think

ponkine said:
Hola Amigos :yes:

At the second night, for example, you could notice how the band was annoyed by the cold crowd, they didn´t invite any girl onstage for With Or Without You, and they simply didn´t play Love Is Blindness, a song planned to play it full last Buenos Aires Night. On Chile they finished the concert with champagne and words from EVERY U2 MEMBER !!!, YES even Adam said some words !!! .There were no goodbye nor bottles in Argentina.

I watched the broadcast and the band didn't seem anoyed at all:shrug: And just because Bono did not not bringing a girl on stage fo WOWY doesn't mean anything. I think people need to accept that they were all good concerts.

Online petitions are a waste of time.

Next DVD is most likely Milan. Great shows from most accounts despite the people who attended others shows that think "theirs" were the best saying Milan wont be as good. :shrug: I was at the Chicago shows that were filmed and they were good shows despite everyone that was not there slamming them. :shrug:

Looks like BA is going to get some type of IMAX release also. That will be the extent of it.

I will give you credit though. At least you are starting a petition of a show that was actually filmed. Unlike a few I have seen where they started a petition for a DVD release of a show that was NOT even filmed. :laugh: I think Santiago will see some type of broadcast though eventually. So there will be a good bootleg of it. Just like the Popmart one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom