U2: Sacrificing Concert Quality To Avoid The "Nostalgia Act/ Tribute Band" Label?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we are all entitled to our opinions but he's taking it way too far. Everyone is having a coronary everytime he posts. Why don't we all just ignore him then maybe, just maybe there won't be any name calling. But that's too good to be true...so never mind.. :|

You're right, Jick. Zoo Station, Running to Stand Still, An Cat Dubh... They're all poor, poor, poor second rate songs. Who even likes that shit? And I also agree that Bono, at the ripe old age of 44, is WAY too old and feeble to be on tour... I'm amazed he can even still get up in the morning, let alone get his fragile, frail body up on stage. Absolutely amazing.

:wink:

Last edited:
pax said:

No need to be picking when there's not really much, except for an unpopular opinion, to pick on.

Unpopular opinion? Trolling and seeking attention!... when looking at all his posts.

He never posts "opinions". He posts "interpretations".
This time, because U2 didn't make a 'greatest hits' tour as he imagined in his "crystal ball"...ahem:rolleyes:... he's interpreting it as "trying hard not to become their own tribute band".... please.

Next time when Bono will say "Bye" at the end of the show, he'll "interpret" it as "the band is about to split"...:rolleyes:
--------

jick, you wanted to hear something.... and I'll say it.
VertigoT. is better than ElevationT.
There you go, now your post doesn't make sense.:wink:
You can go now and find a life for yourself with Larry's "two words" as a blessing.:up:

U2Girl1978 said:
Well, we are all entitled to our opinions but he's taking it way too far. Everyone is having a coronary everytime he posts. Why don't we all just ignore him then maybe, just maybe there won't be any name calling. But that's too good to be true...so never mind.. :|

If "everyone" is having a coronary everytime Jick posts, I think perhaps "everyone" is who is taking it way too far. Cripes, he just gives opinions about a band. Sometimes strange opinions, but opinions nevertheless.

Besides, his threads are wonderfully fun to read. Always! :) I'm still snickering about the "advanced age" bit. (You'll get there one day yourself, you young pup!)

Re: U2: Sacrificing Concert Quality To Avoid The "Nostalgia Act/ Tribute Band" Label?

jick said:
THe lyrics are forgotten too much.

Ok. I finally found the time to read thru ur (once again) absurdly long thread - but I DID pick out 1 line that I agree with. (just the ONE line tho!):wink:

Two points:

1. U2 did actually tour a lot before 1992, and the tours did not necessarily have a "theme", believe it or not.

2. Just what did all the nitpickers ever do before they invented the internet???????

Why do people tend to pick apart the insignificant comments in this thread? Such phrases like "advanced age" or "second-rate songs" are just opinions. So some of you may think of "The Ocean" as a first rate song in a higher level than One or Streets - well, that's your call. But please don't try to veer this off topic.

It seems no one has directly tackled my basic premise and theory that the setlist of U2 now seems to be an extreme overreaction to their inner fears of being labelled a tribute band or nostalgia act. Is that the underlying motive behind U2's setlist which is to avoid at all costs being a tribute band so they intentionally made sure some songs are not recognizable?

Let's try to refocus this discussion and tackle the nostalgia act avoidance I postulate. Thanks.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Why do people tend to pick apart the insignificant comments in this thread? Such phrases like "advanced age" or "second-rate songs" are just opinions. So some of you may think of "The Ocean" as a first rate song in a higher level than One or Streets - well, that's your call. But please don't try to veer this off topic.

It seems no one has directly tackled my basic premise and theory that the setlist of U2 now seems to be an extreme overreaction to their inner fears of being labelled a tribute band or nostalgia act. Is that the underlying motive behind U2's setlist which is to avoid at all costs being a tribute band so they intentionally made sure some songs are not recognizable?

Let's try to refocus this discussion and tackle the nostalgia act avoidance I postulate. Thanks.

Cheers,

J

Oh a Jick Post
Haven't seen one of these for a while. It's like catching a fish and gutting it in front of the children.
Jick Jick, I agree with 'Bathiu' your posts are merely interpretive. I think Zoo Station and Electric Co are brilliant live songs!
I think the answer to your bewilderment lies in the fact U2 are finding there set list, they obviously want to play some of the old songs again and it's probably been a while. So they are just a bit rusty. But the last concert I heard everything sounded fine, apart from when Bono fucked up City of Blinding Lights.
However he has finally nailed Miracle Drug which just seems so exciting :)

Jick your so naieve, can I ask have you ever seen a U2 show ?

Jick,
a setlist which includes Pride, New Years Day, Streets, Mysterious Ways, Sunday Bloody Sunday, One, Bullet and 40 on a nightly basis together with 7 or 8 from the new album does not seem like an extreme overreaction to anything. and i can't seem them avoiding being nostalgic...Zoo Station into The Fly...Bullet into Running..these are great moments, both currently but from earlier days too. The band have said, or at least Bono has, that they feel that this album feels strongly connecte to Boy, hence a great opportunity to play a couple of old tunes in amongst the other 'non-current' choices.

jick said:

Cheers,

J

:laugh: Postulate!! Fantastic!

Jick I must commend you actually. U get attacked often on this board (not always justified - maybe 99% of the time) but yet you never hit back at sum1 by calling them a name or anything like that. Well done my son!
:wink:

LuvandPeace1980 said:

Jick your so naieve, can I ask have you ever seen a U2 show ?

Yes I have.

However, I strongly disagree with others here who say that you have to be in the show to actually criticize it. I guess the only valid critique for a tour would have to be from someone who attended every show - following that argument. We can't critique an album just because we weren't present in the recording process? I don't think so.

Since U2 have played so few shows so far, it means an overwhelming majority in this forum haven't seen the show. Yet, many are already crying foul. You don't need to see the show to analyze the setlist and hear the off-key vocals through the mp3s.

Cheers,

J

Jick u can't tell how good a Tour is until the end of the first leg.. your speculating as per usual.
The shows you saw U2 @ where were they and how far into the tour were they?

jick said:

Who's going to U2 concerts?
With your twisted logic, you'd probably answer: "everyone... and some hardcore fans".
Well, you know, it's not that way, they haven't played a song on this tour that would be "not recognizable" by even the newest fans, yet.
You could say that if some old b-side songs made the setlist... but now you have no right to say it.

Even if... IF... you're right. Then for your information, the tour is not just for a pleasure of the band, it's also another step in promoting their music.
How are they supose to promote themself by playing songs that even a person not knowing the name of U2 would recognize in the radio?
What's the point?
Even if there are few not "hardcore fans" (wich BTW all like the old songs) there on a concert, then playing something less popular is a better idea then playing WOWY or Bad wich are realy overplayed.

What's this "inner fear"... the whole "tribute band" thing was something created by fans, I wouldn't be surprised if by you.
How someone can fear of something they don't know it even exists?
You have waaay to much free time...
--------
Now, dear troll. I would like to ask you. What would you say if they realy did a "greatest hits" tour?
Check your cristal ball... and tell me.
Exactly, you would come here and complain that U2 are their own tribute band now and it's the end of U2.

nathan1977 said:

Which, I would garner a guess, is his first and only objective.

He's just bitter b/c U2 haven't performed in the Philippines since...oh...EVER.

jick,

maybe it would be better for you to just start a thread that goes something like let's gather a million signatures so the band would play here.

and then again, personally i dont think your comments are helping the band's cause a bit in terms of promoting them in this country.
we've been hearing too much local novelty silly songs like ocho ocho, songs from mtv rock star wannabes and britney clones and hip hop thumping one record hit stars, that i hardly listen to radio anymore, save for one or two that do not play these so-called artists.

it's time to raise the consciousness of filipinos to the kind of music only our favorite band can make. and let's get the band include us in their campaign for debt-forgiveness.

peace!

Jick,
You're in danger of becoming a nostalgia act here on Interference, you're posts are becoming repetetive, just changing the wording a bit to rehash the same criticisms ever since the tour began.
You need some fresh material, or go back to some of your posts from Late 2002 and bring out some of the classics, cause the recent ones are getting repetetive and boring for those of us who count ourselves as die-hard Jick fans.
Cheers,
H2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom