U2 playing London stadiums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
why didn't they play Wembley? they did on all the last tours. was wembley re-named? is it out of date as a venue now? it has such history. it would be like having an arena stand in NYC and playing a new venue instead of MSG.

Due to be finished in time for the 2006 F.A Cup Final in May...:up:

There have already been rumours of who the first band to play there should be. It seems to be between U2 and the Stones at the moment. But I gotta be honest with you, if Floyd get on well at Live8 and wanna tour again - i'll be voting for them!

'The Wall' live at Wembley 2006...:drool:

Wembley stadium is due for completion some time in 2006. As it's not finished, Twickenham was the nearest alternative stadium of around the same size.

They should have considered Milton Keynes imo. Not sure but i doubt the curfew rules would have been so strict as its not in a particularly residential area

To see England take to the pitch in new Wembley would be the greatest moment for me. A close second would be to see U2 in concert there.

When new Wembley 'the Church of Football' is finished(official opening, FA Cup Final, 13 May 2006). it will be in terms of space the largest and tallest stadium in the world. The 90k all-seater will be the largest football stadium in the world with every seat under cover. There are stadia with more seats but Wembley in area will be the largest.

Some facts -

-The Arch will be 133m at its highest point. To put this in perspective, the London Eye could be rolled underneath the Arch.

-At seven metres in diameter, the Arch is wide enough for a Channel Tunnel train to run through.

-The new Wembley has a circumference of 1 km.

- The roof(retractable) alone will weigh almost 7,000 tonnes and be over 11 acres in size. Four acres are moveable.

- There will be 2,618 toilets.

- There is more leg room in EVERY seat in the new Wembley Stadium than there was in the Royal Box of the old stadium. If Wembley had regular sized seating as other stadia they say it would seat more than 150,000.

Images - http://www.wembleystadium.com/pressbox/presspack/images/default.htm

Third pic down on left gives you an idea how big this thing is compared to old Wembley. Simply amazing!

I heard the stones were definetly playing the new wembley first? but why? they haven't had a decent record in ages. Have a decent british act that is massive now like U2, Robbie for christs sake

Even oasis would be better than the stones. Till Liam decides he'd rather play city of manchester stadium again

KEVIN051269 said:
They should have considered Milton Keynes imo. Not sure but i doubt the curfew rules would have been so strict as its not in a particularly residential area

But then it wouldn't be a London gig!

KEVIN051269 said:

Green Day had MK the same weekend as U2 played Twickenham, although I do not know who had their shows arranged first. I was at Green Day on the saturday, and can tell you that the curfew was a bit later, just before 11pm, rather than 10.30 for twickenham

lots of brits still use this terminology.
and lots of brits still have, shall we say, a certain attitude.
just goes to show yet again their obvious lack of an education system.

Well playing in London covers the southern part of England, so to not play in the south would alienate those living here. And being the capital, it makes sense.
Twickenham is obviously Middlesex but part of Greater London so technically it is! :scratch:

I'm just a bit jealous as whenever U2 play stadiums the midlands gets left out. In all seriousness Twickenham was a far better venue for before, during and after the show than Wembley ever was. I just hope for the new stadium they remember to put a few facilities around it and not just leave it in the middle of an industrial estate

In all seriousness U2 is an Irish band. Everyone knows this worldwide. When people think of U2 then Ireland is always associated with it. But alot of people probably don't know that half the band was born in England. By birthright, the Edge and Clayton are British citizens and British passport holders-by their choice. Unless they have renounced their British citizenship, which is a very lengthy process, they more than likely still retain that citizenship. Do they still consider themselves British due to family ties, birthplace or their ancestral heritage? These of course are personal things that one would need to ask them to find the answer.

Technically the band can be seen as 50% British but U2 is still definitely 100% Irish.

i thought twickenham was a great venue. I have never heard any thing so load at an outdoors staduim gig before.

The fact i'm i big rugby fan helps as well, seeing your fav band play at the home sporting venue you love....couldnt have been better.:applaud:

p.s..will be New York for the october concerts..know anywhere i can get tickets that will send them to the UK.. cheers

Just on a the question of U2s irishness...Jonathan Ross (Uk chat show guy) he asked Adam while they were on 'Your English aren't you?' Adams reply was 'I have an Irish passport'...i'm guessing by that he considers himself Irish:wink:

Edge i believe used the fact he was born in Wales to get out of Irish classes in school...but hes lived in Ireland since he was about 3? so really i don't think he would consider himself British.

I agree. I have no doubt that they consider themselves Irish. What I was getting at is a person doesn't necessarily have to feel an allegiance or a feeling towards just one country. I for example am a Cdn/UK dual citizen but wouldn't normally go around saying if asked what nationalilty I am, that I'm a Cdn/UK citizen. The same could be true with Edge or Adam. And I'm sure it could be a touchy subject when especially dealing with the whole UK/Irish thing. To me I don't care where they come from, I'm just happy they are making music:)

Having seens U2 several times at Wembley and both nights at Twickenham, there's no doubt that Twickers was better. The organisation was absolutely first class, the stadium structure means even the bad seats are clsoer to the pitch than at Wembley, and the sound was better.

However, I drive past the new Wembley everyday, and once it's opened it will undoubtedly be one of the most impressive new stadiums in the world.

do the irish rugby players in the british lions rugby team consider themselves british!!

is the official name not the british and irish lions?
we just say the lions anyway. but again, further to my earlier post, lots of brits like to use british lions. its an attitude and education (or lack of) sort of thing.

"Have a decent british act that is massive now like U2, Robbie for christs sake"

U2 is NOT british!

Back
Top Bottom