U2 Pissed Off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok..but you have a say in what is posted on it don't you. If you say that you don't . I find that to be a load of crap.

You need to tell your webmaster to not post that kind of speculation and rumor. There has been no official word or statement from PM or U2 regarding this.

Last edited:
I will pass the info along. I don't control what goes on my website, but I will tell them to take that off. I never gave him the okay to post that.

SMB

Yeah, go figure. It's all part of the management thing. 100 bucks says U2 doesn't even get half say what goes on theres. I hate webmasters.

SMB

management thing..what the hell does that mean. Your name is on this site and you have no say what is put on there? are you kidding me?

PM let alone The Edge's family won't like that kind of bs posted about them that is complete slander! That is something they can sue over...Highly recommend you remove it.

My main worry as with the other things here is that tickets are not on sale yet, until they are i will be worried about it not happening!!

I woul like to clarify a few things.
the tour hasn't been officially announced yet, but Paul McG stated in december in an interview that it would start march 1 in Miami, had 30 US arena shows, then 30 European stadia, then back to US for 30 more arena shows, than off to OZ and Japan; a total of 115 shows over 10 months.
the tour was due to be announced this week, with tix on sale at the end of the month (just like Elevation '01).
so, the statement "how can you postpone a tour that you havn't announced?" is a bit tricky, misleading.
anyway, right now all is official is that the ANNOUNCEMENT of the tour has been postponed, not the tour itself.

the sickness in Edge's family is just a wild rumour that has grown on itself and spread widely; just a rumour. let's hope and pray it's not true.

so, other reasons for U2 postponing THE START of the tour to the end of march (as some say) can be, IMO: 1) they want/need more time to prep the show
2) scheduling problems 3) the big success of THE BOMB is making them change their minds.
1) this is very credible. in '97 they went on the road gloriously underprepared, the first shows sucked big time. all the world's press come to the first shows; so... If nothing, U2 have learnt to learn from their past mistakes. and don't say "I saw them on SNL and they were great so they are ready to tour". to prep 4-5 songs fora TV show is one thing, to prep a whole new live show (crew, stage, lights, setlist...) is a whole different affair.
2) this may very well be, with all the sports going on in areans in the spring in the US.
3) why not? U2 now could very well play stadia shows in US, at least in the biggest cities. so maybe they are revising their schedule to include some stadia shows.

mind you: this is not wishful thinking on my part. it's just trying to be realistic.

I think everyone should just get a hold of themselves, be a little patient, and wait for an official announcement. I do admit, however, that U2 or their management should have announced something a little more concrete by now, so as to put an end to all this speculation. If they are doing it on purpose to try to attract more attention to their tour...then bravo, 'cause it's working! I'll I hope for is that no one is ill (as was speculated) and that they come to Montreal on the first leg of the tour....I've saved up for tix for this tour ever since they announced plans for a new album......U2 rocks!!!!

it's starting to look a little bad now...
according to the usually very reliable french site www.U2achtung.com, looks like the band have cancelled theit scheduled live appearances at the NRJ awards in France (late jan) and at the Brit Awards (feb).
in France, only Larry and Bono will be present to accept an award, not Edge...
the site also says that the euro tour (info comes from Universal France) will go on as scheduled, but the first US leg will be "keopardized"; the reason, I'm sorry to say, seems to be the sickness in Edge's family.
I 100% trust Achtung U2, they're one of the best Euro U2 sites and have strong connections with Universal France.
I feel for Edge. god bless his family. if the rumour is true, the tour can wait.

gabriele, your post above about the success of HTDAAB being one of the possible reasons for the dealy may be correct:

The RIAA recently certified the album at 3 million units sold in the U.S. This is well ahead of Achtung Baby's numbers.

In '92, Achtung Baby hit the 4 million mark in September during their second swing thru the U.S.

This album looks to hit that mark before the tour even starts.

:ohmy:

I think this album will end up in Acthung baby and Joshua Tree territory when the smoke clears.

Mini Larry said:
This is obviously a publicity stunt for u2. They want the headlines to sell their tour.
excellent!

This has to be one of the tackiest things I've ever read on this site. (and that's saying a lot :lol: )

I do wonder if people are posting strange rumors to call attention to their personal websites though. I'm sure no one would do something like that. :hmm:

When Paul says the tour will start March 1 in Miami, that is considered an announcement. I really dont care at this point and am waiting patiently now after being mad for a bit, but postponed is the right word to use.

jammin909 said:
When Paul says the tour will start March 1 in Miami, that is considered an announcement. I really dont care at this point and am waiting patiently now after being mad for a bit, but postponed is the right word to use.

So you are saying that you know for a fact that the March 1st show in Miami has been postponed? Where did read that Paul said that? How do you know this for certain?

I haven't seen anything official other than the announcement has been postponed and they will put the tickets up for sale well before the show dates...If you have an official source that I don't know about, please share.

jedi Larry said:
gabriele, your post above about the success of HTDAAB being one of the possible reasons for the dealy may be correct:

The RIAA recently certified the album at 3 million units sold in the U.S. This is well ahead of Achtung Baby's numbers.

In '92, Achtung Baby hit the 4 million mark in September during their second swing thru the U.S.

This album looks to hit that mark before the tour even starts.

:ohmy:

In fact, AB was 3x Platinum in March 1992 and, yes, 4xPlatinum in September 1992.

HTDAAB has been certified 3x Platinum by RIAA but actual sales stands at 2,2 million, so the album needs more time to achieve the 3 million mark and mooooore time to reach 4xPlatinum.

Vox

jammin909 said:

Thank you - I knew I wasn't the only one looking at it that way.

Dates announced or not, that's semantics. 115 dates, continents visited named, place and date of first show...they likely have the tour virtually all planed out by now anyway. Just because dates haven't been announced, doesn't mean there aren't any dates planned.

Also, if it's true that some March shows will get shifted to the second US leg, that's another proof the tour is getting postponed.

Last edited:
Ah so that "units shipped" then, not actual soundscan numbers.

Hmmm.....

Is that how RIAA has done it before? In other words, was AB 3 million "units shipped" in March '92 also?

I ask this because my sources for HTDAAB sales were Billboard and RIAA.

Yes. RIAA only counts units sold to the stores and SoundScan the units sold to the costumers.

AB was 3x Platinum by March '92, 4x Platinum by Sept '92 and 5x Platinum by August 1993.. This means that the copies sold in stores were almost sold to the costumers and needs more shipments, so we can imagine the real sales of AB in those years.

Vox

On one hand, you can see U2.com as being totally useless because there's nothing on their site about all this. On the other hand, that could be a GOOD thing. What if U2 comes out with the dates in the next week or so, and everyone wonders what all the fuss was about? That would make U2.com look pretty good in a 'he-who-laughs-last' sort of way.

My view of U2.com is ground zero. Everything else is just rampant rumor-spreading. The only semi-offical comment I read was from McGuinness who noted something about scheduling etc....no mention made of a 'family illness.'

Indeed, with the National Hockey League done for the year and major indoor arenas around the country devoid of scheduled events save for the NBA and the occasional concert, U2 will NEVER find a simpler time to schedule dates in major indoor arenas. So I'm mystified about any 'complications' due to scheduling. U2 has enough cache so that they can design their tour in a locked room, and then print out sheets to give to all the arena operators: 'Here...this is our schedule!' And it would be the rare arena that says, 'Uhhh...Mr. McGuinness, we have a rodeo scheduled for our arena the night you want to play here."

Hah!

I'm not sure the discussion of sales is appropriate for this topic or forum. We have another forum for this. :wave:

As for the rumors... admittedly, that's all they are.

However...

With U2 now backing out of performing at a few shows, this strongly suggests something "bad". I can't see U2 backing out of this type of great publicity and exposure, especially right before embarking on a world tour.

As such, I think it is time U2's management made some sort of official announcement. I realize that often other aspects take time, but having some sort of official announcement other than "no comment" would certainly end this wicked speculation. If there is an illness, I see nothing wrong with stating "illness in the family delays/cancels tour" so we can all move on with our lives and wish the ill person a speedy recovery. If it's not illness, then a better reason should be stated for the "delay" of the tour announcement. There's only so long one can keep things at bay.

I guess the real way we will know if there is even going to be a tour is to wait for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony. That is going to be one of the biggest days in the band's career. There's no way that all four of them coukd NOT show up for THAT...you have to wait 25 years to be inducted, they're the major inductee of the night, etc. And it is tradition for all the nominees to play something. If the band only sit glum-faced at a table, or if only Bono and LArry show up to politely and quietly accept the tribute, , you know there won't be a tour, because the band will have decided that the first step to "acceptance" of the situation or "recovery" of some sort, or a decision to go through with plans, is to play the new material in public again. They'd be telling us that they're actually ready to play onstage again.This would be a signal that the show must go on. If they don't play, that means that they are in no condition to get on the road anytime soon. Which of course they no doubt had planned to use the awards to do, as well as getting accolades.

This is so cruel. This was supposed to be one huge year-long celebration for the band..so many accolades, so many anniversaries, and them gliding through the thick of itall unchanged, a beacon of light.

I can only think that there is some prpose in this...right now,it is so hard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom