U2 in London. Philly Live-Aid sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The local Philly promoter who did Live Aid has supposedly said the Philly lineup will be "more significant" than London. I think the rumored Genesis, Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd additions will be added to Philly. I wouldn't be surprised to see Springsteen, but he would have to be an unnanounced guest in Philly to avoid general mayhem.

Pink Floyd isn't playing this, their camp shot this down on their website.

Springsteen/Stones/Green Day are rumored to be added to Philly along with Gensis.

i cab just see it, riots and all in Philly with 50 cent, PDiddy....and Dave Matthews together in the same area. People here just dont respect each other! I Have a feeling Philly will get a bad rap, for causing -behavior......

wait, wait, wait...
Did I read the London show right? Madonna and Elton John? Someone's gonna get bitch slapped...:eek:

If they add Springsteen and the Stones then Philly has some clout finally. Still, I'd much rather be at the London show because Philly has too much "filler". U2, Madonna, Elton John, Paul McCartney, Coldplay, and Robbie Williams at the same concert. Amazing.

Does anyone know about getting tickets to the London show? Do you have to be a resident of the UK?

it said something about a lottery for the tickets, here and the UK, you text message them or something. It's in some of the press releases, do google and you'll find it.

I'm going to enjoy this from the comfort of my home, that many people in the sun, outside, forget it.

There isn't a lotto for tickets in Philly...there aren't even going to be tickets.

This is all they have to say bout Philly now: "Other venues do not require tickets – details on how to attend will follow shortly."

:scratch: :huh: :shrug:

The problem is I can't SMs from the Netherlands to a british SMS-number. So maybe someone here tries for me also? and then I pay he SMS-costs.. PLLEEEAAAASSSSEEEE

BRUCE

DanB said:
Springsteen and the E Street band would really help the Philly show. And they're from the area

If Bruce & the band play everyone else can go home, because that'll be a 3 hour show & will be packed with all the fans from the east coast.:dancing:

I hope no more rap or hip hop acts are added. A crowd of this size with that element will turn into a full scale riot. Rap and hip hop with free admission is a recipe for disaster.

i believe many of you here are missing the boat... shouldn't you be happy that many of the younger stars from all genres are so readily willing to get involved for the cause... seeing as that's what this is about... the cause, not the music.

and the people who think they'll be riots because of "rap stars" and "free tickets" need to reassess their thinking, me thinks...

barrett said:
Philly will add more acts- Genesis reunion is rumored.

you must be kidding... a Genesis reunion would rock the show, and would totally make my year! :D Where did you hear this rumor?

from MTV.com...

The London show is slated to feature Paul McCartney, U2, Mariah Carey, Coldplay, Madonna, Elton John, Sting, Annie Lennox, Dido, Keane, Muse, Scissor Sisters, Joss Stone, Stereophonics, Robbie Williams, R.E.M., Razorlight, Velvet Revolver, the Killers, the Cure, Geldof and Snow Patrol; while Philly will be hosted by Will Smith and feature Bon Jovi, Matthews, Stevie Wonder, Maroon 5, Jay-Z, Sarah McLachlan, Rob Thomas, Keith Urban, 50 Cent, Kaiser Chiefs and P. Diddy.

Berlin has Crosby, Stills & Nash, Lauryn Hill, A-ha, Die Toten Hosen and the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson. So far, Jamiroquai, Placebo, Craig David, Andrea Bocelli, Johnny Halliday, Manu Chao, Youssou N'Dour and tennis-player-turned-singer Yannick Noah are on board in Paris; and Duran Duran, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw are slated to play Rome.

The original Live Aid took place at Wembley Stadium in London and at Philadelphia's JFK Stadium on July 13, 1985, and raised $245 million for famine relief in Africa. It was watched by more than 1.5 billion people worldwide and featured sets from U2, Queen, David Bowie, the Who, Elvis Costello, B.B. King, Black Sabbath, Run-DMC, Sting, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Judas Priest, Santana, Elton John, Madonna, McCartney, Bob Dylan, Neil Young and a reunited Led Zeppelin with Phil Collins on drums.

so Will Smith will be hosting the Philly event... he is from Philly and one of the largest movie stars in the world, so it makes sense... doesn't say if he'll be performing, so those of you hoping to hear Parents Just Don't Understand may be disapointed.

I also enjoy people trashing the american concert having hip hop artists when the original Live Aid included Run-DMC, as well as other classics of modern rock The Hooters, Rick Springfield, Hall & Oates, Adam Ant and Wham!

DanB said:
I hope no more rap or hip hop acts are added. A crowd of this size with that element will turn into a full scale riot. Rap and hip hop with free admission is a recipe for disaster.

Wow. That's a wonderful sweeping statement about people that listen to that genre of music. :|

I'm with Headache on this one.

MFRONW said:
Foo Fighters will be in Philly and the Stones may there as well.

Foo Fighters are good live :rockon:

I didn't like the Philly line up for Live Aid either...well, The Cars were OK - I liked "Just What I Needed".
Disc 4 of Live Aid (Philly) is BORING - a bunch of Hall & Oates etc.
I prefer disc 1 with U2, Nik Kershaw, etc.

Maybe more acts will sign up soon...

Lookie!!!
On Live Aid were biggest bands of that time. Queen, Dire Straits, Dylan, U2, Elton, Sting, Clapton.....
Now we have Keane, The Killers...

WHERE ARE:
The Rolling Stones
Radiohead
U2(as the last act)
Sting
Bruce Springsteen
Eric Clapton
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Metallica
Beastie Boys
Offspring
Blink 182
Good Charlotte
Destiny's Child
Britney Spears
Justin Timberlake
Foo Fighters
Franz Ferdinand
Christina Aguilera
Eminem
Gwen Stefani:huh:
Moby

I know i added some :sad: singers, but they are popular.
I know that those would kill the atmosphere, but more money...

Look, I'm not crazy about the heavy leaning towards hip-hop and rap in Philly, but it would be a bit strange to not involve African American artists just because it doesn't mesh with what's going on in London. I mean the whole point of this endeavor is to bring attention to the goings on in Africa.

That being said, if Bruce and the Stones are there, it'll be worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Pero said:

WHERE ARE:
The Rolling Stones - rumoured Philly

Radiohead - conspicuous in their abscense

U2(as the last act) - impossible due to Vienna show that night

Sting - scheduled to appear in London

Bruce Springsteen - rumoured Philly

Eric Clapton - good question

Red Hot Chili Peppers - good question

Metallica - good question

Beastie Boys - VERY good question

Offspring - who cares

Blink 182 - who cares

Good Charlotte - who cares

Destiny's Child - appearing in Paris?

Britney Spears - umm, hell no

Justin Timberlake - no loss

Foo Fighters -rumoured Philly

Franz Ferdinand - appearing via sat. from Glasgow

Christina Aguilera -no thanks

Eminem - rumoured Philly

Gwen Stefani - good question

Moby - good question

Last edited:
DanB said:

And just who was it that caused all the trouble at Woodstock 99? Rap fans? Nope, it was good ole rock fans.

yeah but I have to say it was the DMX set that got me into the rioting mood :rockon:

TheRooster said:
I would take a ringtone over Eminem, 50 Cent, Usher, P. Diddy, Jay-Z. As long as its not a ringtone of one of their songs. I'm not picky about the US tastes. I'm aghast at the tastes of the US. I am horrified at the tastes of the US.
But these aren't the tastes of US music fans. These are the tastes of the audience the US music industry targets - teenage white boys trying desperately to be cool by listening to rap and hip-hop.

Last edited:
For those interested...

Phil Collins just made a statement on his web site saying basically that since he wasn't asked to participate in Live 8, there will be no Genesis reunion. He goes on to say that though he supports the efforts of these series of global concerts, he's too busy with other projects right now to attend or host a forthcoming Genesis reunion.

Sucks BIG TIME, I know. It was sure fun to dream about it, though... :)

They still need to get Pink Floyd(With Gilmour at the helm) and Springsteen for Philly, though! :D

WHERE ARE:
The Rolling Stones - rumoured Philly
Radiohead - conspicuous in their abscense
Bruce Springsteen - rumoured Philly
Offspring - who cares
Blink 182 - who cares
Good Charlotte - who cares
Britney Spears - umm, hell no
Justin Timberlake - no loss
Foo Fighters -rumoured Philly
Christina Aguilera -no thanks
Eminem - rumoured Philly
Gwen Stefani - good question
Moby - good question

So we have 5 bands rumored and 5 bands not appearing and 5 bands my fellow arsenalfan doesn't want.
All of those 15 are "great" bands and it will be a loss if they don't appear. At least a money loss.

Zootomic said:

But these aren't the tastes of US music fans. These are the tastes of the audience the US music industry targets - teenage white boys trying desperately to be cool by listening to rap and hip-hop.

Exactly teenage white boys trying to be cool. Are you serious? By including some of these acts LIVE 8's message will reach an entirely different demographic that it failed to reach the fiiret time around. And it is not white teenage boys trying to be cool.

Maybe if MR Bean was hosting instead of Will Smith some of these people wouldnt be complaing as much.

Hawkmoon04 said:

Maybe if MR Bean was hosting instead of Will Smith some of these people wouldnt be complaing as much.

That would be sweet.

I'm crossing my fingers for a Marky Mark Reunion. Or maybe some Kenny G to reach a different demographic and why not Michael Bolton while we're at it. You get MC Hammer, Nelly, and Ja Rule and you have yourself a whole another lineup for another great North American city like Baltimore or Richmond.

I have no problem with the rap being in the lineup just with who they picked. Where's Kanye West or Nas? Actual rap artists who make good music. 50 Cent doesn't care about the cause, its just another publicity stunt for him to sell more records. Unless I missed all the charity work he did before Live 8.

I said it before and I'll say it again, pathetic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom