U2 in Australia - Official Countdown Party II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still want someone to give me the complete low down on how the GA is going to work - what we know/guess anyway!

So I plan get there tomorrow, early, park nearby, then head to Gate 16 and get in line. I am going to bring food, and chairs and a book. Then, when it gets to late afternoon, I am going to send my husband back to the car with all the stuff, so then there will just be us and my camera and my car keys.

How does this sound?

The other thing is, will they just let everybody in the GA line in at once, or will it be done in smaller numbers? I will be really pissed off if someone who came 8 hours after me gets in front of me because they can run faster!

So, anybody able to help me???

Thanks indra and shortfuse for those kind replies in the last thread...I am really hoping they play Kite. :heart:

Bad :drool: I would just melt if they played that.

Reckon we could hear Saints or Window? Maybe even ASOH? That debuted here in Oz.

I picked up Wide Awake in America, The Saints are Coming and U2 by U2 at the plaza today. I was gonna ask for GA or other tickets to Melb II but I was a bit worried because I have work till 4 and have only worked there for three weeks, I don't wanna get fired cos I keep changing my hours...:sigh:

I hope thjey come back...

Anyone think I'll have a chance of meeting them in Australia?

Will there be a setlist party? What's the time difference from Australia and America? I was never good at time zones... :huh:

COBL_04 said:
Thanks indra and shortfuse for those kind replies in the last thread...I am really hoping they play Kite. :heart:

Bad :drool: I would just melt if they played that.

Reckon we could hear Saints or Window? Maybe even ASOH? That debuted here in Oz.

I picked up Wide Awake in America, The Saints are Coming and U2 by U2 at the plaza today. I was gonna ask for GA or other tickets to Melb II but I was a bit worried because I have work till 4 and have only worked there for three weeks, I don't wanna get fired cos I keep changing my hours...:sigh:

I hope thjey come back...

Anyone think I'll have a chance of meeting them in Australia?

Are you planning to get down to Telstra Dome during the day on the Sat? You may be able to see the band when they come in for soundcheck. Otherwise, there's the hotel (if you know which one it is :wink: which I don't :madspit: )

imogen said:
I still want someone to give me the complete low down on how the GA is going to work - what we know/guess anyway!

So I plan get there tomorrow, early, park nearby, then head to Gate 16 and get in line. I am going to bring food, and chairs and a book. Then, when it gets to late afternoon, I am going to send my husband back to the car with all the stuff, so then there will just be us and my camera and my car keys.

How does this sound?

The other thing is, will they just let everybody in the GA line in at once, or will it be done in smaller numbers? I will be really pissed off if someone who came 8 hours after me gets in front of me because they can run faster!

So, anybody able to help me???

There's usually a line nazi giving out numbers to the people in the GA line so people keep in order. If there isn't one, maybe you could be it :wink:

This is from someone who posted at u2.com/Zootopia:

Heard this afternoon's rehearsal at QSAC along with a smallish group on the 'grassy knoll' that looks from outside the stadium at the stage. Climbed some trees and helped others to do the same, but didn't really get a good view of the guys.
Seems they got a limo to the rehearsal - no helicopter today.
Played Kite, zoo station, the fly, angel of harlem, saints, and I'm too excited to rememeber the rest!! Just awesome - Bono sounded fine. Not sure but heard a didgeridoo being played at the start of Kite - so may be lots of surprises on the night.
The field between the main stadium and warm up track is now covered with metal barracades to herd the GA people. Guards were friendly but aren't being told much - so not sure which stadium gates will be opended first in the morning. Some people are talking about getting there VERY early - but they'd just have to wait outside an outer gate - then rush to the place. Make SURE you bring a hat, sunscreen and lots of water! Very hot today. Sasch's post with photographs of the gate etc were spot on. Only a few hours now.

Another poster stated:

The main gate to the merchandise area opens up at 9am - the gate 16 (for GA) as well as all the gates for seated areas open at 5pm. Kanye expected to go on at 7:30ish, and the boys on somewhere between 9 and 9:15.

Parking in the carpark beside it (carpark 1) is going to cost $17 - and carpark 2 is expected to be closed to all but road crew.

First in best dressed for the ellipse, as we were told the other day by Dennis (tour director).

Best place for free carparks is either the train station (about 1.5 kms down Mains Rd towards Sunnybank) or the commuter carpark just outside Garden City (almost 2kms away).

Still getting told that it is fine to bring stuff in for during the day, and they will let a 'final packup' run happen at about 3pm, with clear indications as to who was lined up first.

And cameras are allowed (told today), just not your huge lenses and tripods and all that. Handhelds and phone cams are fine.

And they did the opening riff of 'Bullet' as well... :)

And the stage looks FANTASTIC!!!

Hope the zootopians don't mind me posted the information and sharing it here :shifty: :hug:

Report and setlist for tonight's rehearsal: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/article322.html

Obviously, it contains extensive spoilers. Let me just say that COBL_04, I hope you get to hear this version of Kite because it is stunning, the best I've ever heard it.

imogen: as I said on the other thread (if it's closed, I don't know if you'll see it), I intend to write an article later tonight with photos about how GA will go down tomorrow.

No Window In The Skies tonight. But we remain hopeful ...!

But there are some songs in there I really want to hear, will love to hear Kite and Walk On, ANGEL OF HARLEM!! :)

The only realistic song I want included, is Electric Co. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE U2!!!!!!

has I Will Follow been rehearsed?

U2 set to stun fans
Andrew Murfett, Brisbane
November 7, 2006 - 1:55PM

U2 frontman Bono reheases for tonight's gig during a sound check in Brisbane.
bono_narrowweb__300x392,0.jpg

Photo: AAP

tIrish supergroup U2 have geared up for their first Australian performance since 1998 with a spirited rehearsal in pouring rain and a promise to impress fans at Brisbane's QSAC Stadium.

U2 fever began to grip the city today with hundreds of fans queuing in the stadium's car park from first light to secure a spot close to the stage in a limited general admission area.

Bono said last night that while many overseas acts treat Australian tours with disdain, the band is fresh and raring to go.

"I know a lot of people get down here at the end of the tour and they're exhausted or they start a tour Down Under and don't know what they're doing. We're feeling really match fit."

"We're looking forward to experimenting with the set," added drummer Larry Mullen Jr. "We've got a couple of new tracks, and we haven't been here for such a long time, so we'll throw in a few surprises."

When asked how long the band can continue to be rock stars for, Mullen Jr noted that the job of a rock'n'roll band is to not be boring.

"We've said several times that we'd prefer to put the bullet in our own heads rather than somebody else do it, so I think when the time comes, we'll know. We want to make interesting and good music, and when that time comes, you won't see us any more.

"I'd like to think we're doing our best work now," Bono added. "Make two crap albums and we're out, that's the deal."

Fans get familiar

U2 have been staying at a $2000-a-night suite on the Gold Coast since their arrival last week and Bono noted with a smile that the band is learning of their Australian fans' enthusiasm for the tour first-hand.

"We're getting to know our Australian fans very well - they've been sleeping in our hotel, virtually in our beds. They're very passionate about music. That's the strange thing to travel this distance and find people so familiar with us."

Bono also remarked that the band's most celebrated song, One, recently named by Q magazine as the Greatest Song of All Time, is still special for the band.

"The award felt good. If you're as mouthy or lippy as I am, it usually reveals a deep insecurity, so that's always nice. One came at a time in our band when things were very difficult for us in the studio. It kept us together. We hold on to that song quite tightly when we play it."

QSAC Stadium has been closed for a week while the monstrous stage was constructed, and the 45,000 fans attending can expect a stunning visual and aural feast when they enter the arena. A enormous backing screen virtually renders every seat in the house a good one.

The band pack up and head for Sydney tomorrow for three shows this weekend before arriving in Melbourne for two huge gigs at Telstra Dome.

theage.com.au

Lila64 said:
Bono said last night that while many overseas acts treat Australian tours with disdain, the band is fresh and raring to go.

"I know a lot of people get down here at the end of the tour and they're exhausted or they start a tour Down Under and don't know what they're doing. We're feeling really match fit."

Well, we won't mention that both Zoo and Popmart got to Australia at the tail end of those tours, as would have Vertigo if they had come in April. But what's a bit of Stalinist-type revisionism amongst friends :wink:

(at least we're not Japan, now THEY'RE really at the tail end :lol:

adrball said:
Just packing my bag now, then I'm on my way!!!! :yes: :yes:

am packing too, flying from perth to sydney tommorow night for sat's show. absolutely chuffed!

Back
Top Bottom