U2 in Australia - Official Countdown Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be able to get fairly close... there's a detour that directs you round to one of the carparks and you can park there... security should be cool. Or, alternatively, park nearby like near JB Hi-Fi or Retravision and walk.

And nw: No they haven't blocked it entirely, just blocked driving round the stadium. As far as I'm aware, they don't have a problem with people being around the stadium, although I could be wrong. Oh, and i will DEFINITELY behanging round there on the weekend.

nw said:
Anyone planning to be around there on the weekend?

Hell yes!

I'm currently looking up what travel options I have - unless anyone else here is going to the stadium and will be passing near Toowong/St Lucia, hint hint. :wink:

Questions for those of you familiar with the area around QSAC: how safe is it, especially at night? I've looked up what railway stations are nearby and it looks as if it's going to be a bit of a walk regardless of whether I choose Salisbury, Coopers Plains, or Banoon stations. Is it a really long slog, and which station is best? Or should I just take the bus instead?

Axver: I'd probably go Salisbury if you definitely don't want to use the bus (which seems to be the case :))

As for the area, it's GENERALLY pretty safe. In the past, there have been some gangs of people over towards sunnybank who lure people in and steal stuff, but I regularly walk/run around the area late at night and have never had trouble whatsoever.

As for the lift... if you're still intending to go today I could pick you up from one of the railway stations if that'd help... I'm probably going down for another gander (there's only so much one can spend studying introductory accounting before their mind explodes). The offer is on the table anyway.

Down under gets down!
I hope U2 treats you so good, you'll have a smile on your face for weeks!

Keep us updated.

miracledrug83 said:
Axver: I'd probably go Salisbury if you definitely don't want to use the bus (which seems to be the case :))

As for the area, it's GENERALLY pretty safe. In the past, there have been some gangs of people over towards sunnybank who lure people in and steal stuff, but I regularly walk/run around the area late at night and have never had trouble whatsoever.

Ah, righto, that sounds good then. I might in fact use the bus, but I don't know the bus system well at all while I do know the trains fairly well, so if I'm going somewhere new, I'd prefer to stick with something I know. The bus that stops right beside the stadium would be mightily handy though ...

As for the lift... if you're still intending to go today I could pick you up from one of the railway stations if that'd help... I'm probably going down for another gander (there's only so much one can spend studying introductory accounting before their mind explodes). The offer is on the table anyway.

Hey, thanks for the offer! :) I think I will come down today. If I don't, I won't be able to visit the stadium until Wednesday as I'm busy tomorrow, and I'd like to check it out. However, the weather here's getting a bit dull; I'm not sure if I really want to go out if it starts raining. We'll see ...

Now that I think about it, it probably would just make sense to use the buses. It can't be that difficult.

Alright, I think I've worked these buses out and I'll head down to QSAC soon, as long as it doesn't rain. Anyone else planning on heading down? I'll get there around 3:30-4pm, I think. If anyone else is planning on heading over to the stadium, that'd be cool. Better than standing around by myself and looking like a loner.

Axver said:
Alright, I think I've worked these buses out and I'll head down to QSAC soon, as long as it doesn't rain. Anyone else planning on heading down? I'll get there around 3:30-4pm, I think. If anyone else is planning on heading over to the stadium, that'd be cool. Better than standing around by myself and looking like a loner.

Well, scratch that, I just got a call and I have to head into uni. I won't be able to head down to the stadium until Wednesday afternoon. But in that case, anyone want to meet up at QSAC around 3:30-4pm on Wednesday and see what's happening at the stadium?

Also, does anyone at all have any photos of the current stage set-up they'd allow us to use over at www.u2-vertigo-tour.com? I was going to take some photos today to help kick-start our fifth leg coverage, but as that isn't happening now, maybe someone else can help out ...

Anyone heard any news on whether they are here yet? What time do they do soundchecks? It's gonna be an awesome day for me. Cricket in the morning, cricket in the aftenoon with a bunch of pissed old farts for Wyndhamvale CC and then U2.

Cannot wait!!! I've already got my listening plan set out, and I spend pastoral every morning writing out the tracklisting for an album on one date. I'm going backwards from Hut dab and I finished Pop today.

I am such a loser.

:hyper: 18 days!

From the same guy, taken yesterday. Apparently he will take more and will be up tommorow same time.

brisbanevertigo3bp4.jpg

brisbanevertigo4fu2.jpg

Source: Damien Taylor from U2Australia Yahoo Music Group

COBL_04 said:
Anyone heard any news on whether they are here yet? What time do they do soundchecks? It's gonna be an awesome day for me. Cricket in the morning, cricket in the aftenoon with a bunch of pissed old farts for Wyndhamvale CC and then U2.

Cannot wait!!! I've already got my listening plan set out, and I spend pastoral every morning writing out the tracklisting for an album on one date. I'm going backwards from Hut dab and I finished Pop today.

I am such a loser.

:hyper: 18 days!

Not yet but very soon!

andyuk said:
Bono said live on Radio 1 today that the band will jet off to Australia tonight (UK time)

My wife and I popped down there last night for a look. It was maybe slightly advanced from those photos. Looked like a bit of the top with the red and black stripes was up. It was late though and the lights were off so it was hard to tell. I thought they would have been working on it at night too!

For anyone going today...can you hunt out some road crew and ask them some U2 questions? When they are arriving? When they are planning on starting rehearsals, etc...?

Just heard that interview from last night a the Q awards with Bono... He said he was not going to be partying as he has a grudge match with Australia, meaning he really wanted to put on some Awesome shows as he didnt like having cancelled before.

He says in the interview that he would be flying out in a few hours so they must be over half way here already!! going straight to brisbane apparentlly.

HE said the Shows are gonna be Awesome!!!

He sounded so Raring and Ready to go!!!

So, Brisbanites, who wants to meet up at the stadium tomorrow afternoon sometime and see what's going on?

hey guys guess what!?

U2 IS ALMOST HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

god i am finding it hard to study for my exams, i just keep thinking about U2 :drool:

Axver said:
So, Brisbanites, who wants to meet up at the stadium tomorrow afternoon sometime and see what's going on?

I'm up for it... I'm heading down again this evening as well. If the reports of them flying out of London are true then they could potentially be there tomorrow afternoon (I doubt that they'll actually be there to rehearse so soon, but still).

It's incredible to think that in only 7 days I'll be standing in the GA line and that shortly thereafter the gates will open... and then :drool:

I might stop for a look again tonight.....they were still working away at 7.30pm last night!

miracledrug83 said:

I'm up for it... I'm heading down again this evening as well. If the reports of them flying out of London are true then they could potentially be there tomorrow afternoon (I doubt that they'll actually be there to rehearse so soon, but still).

Cool, let us know what you see. Someone on another thread said the band would rehearse from Friday to Monday. But they didn't cite a source, so take it with a grain of salt I guess. Seems accurate and realistic enough to me though.

Tomorrow, I'll probably get there around 3:30-4pm, so if you or anyone else wants to head over, I'll be there around then.

Here you go Axver. Call the stadium and tell them you have an elderly mother/father who lives by the stadium who is concerned with the noise of the concert. ask for exact show times and rehearsal days/times. The stadium must send out a letter a week prior to the concert but they will only give concert times as nobody will know the times u2 will rehearse, but they did confirm the days to me. Friday to Monday. Im flying on Sat morning from Sydney. All you younger fans i guess havent tried the old school stuff. Tripple M Brisbane wont confirm the press release date for the band but id say wed or thurs.

Last edited:
!!! am sitting just to the left of that picuture the night of the concerts (eg: section 14) going to be a wicked view!!!

OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD... I've been ambling along, trying to stay focused at work and then I log and see the BLOODY STAGE BEING CONSTRUCTED IN BRISBANE!! My heart is beating a mile a minute.

It is SO GREAT to read of other people's excitement... it makes me feel like home. I have seen U2 several times before, but never EVER in Australia. I've always been living or travelling overseas when they've toured here, so this tour is extra special for me.

I'll be at all the Sydney shows and both the Melbourne ones - and it's going to be awesome. It'd be great to meet some of you there - how we gonna find each other?!

This is such a fun thread to read. :) I'm enjoying the excitement.

Yes - I know I am a novice at all this - but it never really crossed my mind that they would of course be here before the show. I guess I thought they would probably stay in Sydney and just fly up for the concert.

So, they might be out in Brisbane over the weekend then? Might be worth a trip into the Valley just to check out who's about!

Thats what the papers said, that they would fly straight to Sydney. They may still do it, but the best chance of meeting them will be at ANZ considering they will be there for 4 days rehearsing. this is so amazing, we r all so excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom