U2 has one airplane just for their chefs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogi

The Fly
I am a foreigner living in Brazil and yesterday my sister-in-law told me that U2´s demands were printed in a largely published national magazine. It stated, according to her, that U2 has one airplane soley for their chefs and their food to eat during the tour.
Essentially it made it out to be that U2 will snub Brazilian food in favor of their chefs.
Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? I can only hope this has been printed out of context. IF this is true, I think it would look poorly for U2 considering that they are burning alot of fuel just to have their own personal meals (at the same time, being so socially aware).
Any thoughts on this?

haha! If anyone can find these tour demands, please scan them!

but yeah you're right it would look pretty bad on them! :huh:

I know they have their own catering. Not just for the band, but also for the 100+ or so members of the crew. And considering that, it indeed wouldn't surprise me if they partially took with them their own food. Maybe not everything, but certainly something.

Yes. I've heard of way too many cases of people getting sick with "external" food. And U2 is a HUGE organization so I doubt they would go out on a limb like that.

I don't see what the big deal is. If I had their money I would do that and more. :shrug:

Not to mention that Bono has a couple publicized food/drink allergies. I believe that the u2 organization has their own food catered in wherever they go - not just Brazil.

nurse chrissi said:
Not to mention that Bono has a couple publicized food/drink allergies. I believe that the u2 organization has their own food catered in wherever they go - not just Brazil.
:yes:

i'm sure they're not just going to eat their catered food the whole time they're in brazil though. they'll probably eat out at least once. it's definitely not unheard of for a band to do what U2's doing.

Mogi said:
I am a foreigner living in Brazil and yesterday my sister-in-law told me that U2´s demands were printed in a largely published national magazine. It stated, according to her, that U2 has one airplane soley for their chefs and their food to eat during the tour.
Essentially it made it out to be that U2 will snub Brazilian food in favor of their chefs.
Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? I can only hope this has been printed out of context. IF this is true, I think it would look poorly for U2 considering that they are burning alot of fuel just to have their own personal meals (at the same time, being so socially aware).
Any thoughts on this?

It's not just about U2 though. They've got a hundred, maybe more, crew members to worry about. It's probably cheaper in the end to use the same catering the whole way through rather than have catering organized seperately for every single venue. Also, you have to think about food allergies and how what some people eat will have an effect on their work performance. For example, I've always had stomach and digestive problems and to be going into a new environment every few days and adjusting to new diets would probably make me so sick I'd be in bed all the time and worthless as a crew member. I had trouble just adjusting between the dinning hall at college and the food from my home.

There are practical reasons for doing things, beyond what the four members of U2 want simply b/c they're rich rockstars.

I don't see whats wrong with it, especially if they are traveling with a 100+ people and maybe their family and children. Kids are so picky these days.:huh:

Mogi said:

I'm sure it's not easy for 100 people to go out to a local restaurant when you're there to work.

Plus you have four guys who are very famous, I'm sure it's not easy for them to go into a restaurant for a quick bite.

Yep.. i bet it's all true..i heard they have even ANOTHER Plane... On this Plane they carry all their Grammy's & Adam's Spoon Collection.

they also carry in their own stage, too!
and their own guitars and drums!
selfish, greedy bastards ........

:)

As was noted before, it is probably cheaper (and certainly easier) to do this instead of having to make catering arrangements for the 100+ crew at every tour stop. If they can carry the tons of stage and equipment, they certainly can carry a few cooks and some food.

There is a DVD that circulates in the Pink Floyd circles that documents a behind-the-scenes look during their 1998 world tour, filmed by a crew member. It is a fascinating insight into what goes on before we take our seats, the lights go off and the music starts.

bravoland said:
Yep.. i bet it's all true..i heard they have even ANOTHER Plane... On this Plane they carry all their Grammy's & Adam's Spoon Collection.
:lmao: cause you know, without his spoons he'd go insane!

faithingrace said:
I suppose it is better than disappointing 70,000 fans by canceling a show because Bono has the runs!:wink:

:lmao:

So true...

I certainly don't think the band is snubbing the food of whatever country they're in. The catering crew is probably incorporating local ingredients and flavors into each day's meals. The fact that the band travels with a catering crew is probably much more a matter of simplifying logistics than it is anything.

Add that to my list of jobs with U2 I'd be willing to drop out of grad school for!

At the pre-tour rehearsals at the LA Sports Arena on March 26th I went down below ground floor to try to get a better view after the show and when they were still rehearsing. Well, the door was open so I went in. Guess who kicked me out? The catering crew! There was plenty of food in there!

For those who are also a member of U2.com, there is a profile of the Personal Chef, Sandy Hylton.
http://www.u2.com/tour/ontheroad.php?hid=103

Although the profile doesn't say anything about flying in stuff, etc. it does give some examples of what situations they can encounter (allergies, high profile persons appearing, etc.).

:)

Back
Top Bottom