U2 fans living in NM must really want to move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jelloe

The Fly
U2 has only played one New Mexico show in their history (Las Cruces - April 1987).

New Mexico isn't exactly very close to other scheduled shows either (>6 hours driving).

I thought it would be cool for them to do a show there on this tour, since NM is the birthplace of the atomic bomb. It would be even cooler if the show were free!

:cool:

Last edited:
Unfortunately we don't have a suitable venue for them at this point. Hopefully this will change soon.

I am feelin the pain too (of airfare!):ohmy:

I bet everyone outside the Northern Hemisphere wants to move, as U2 has only come to the Southern Hemisphere four times.

beli said:
If U2 play Australia this tour I have the choice of driving for 3 days or flying for 5 hours.

Ah, yes, but you don't live in America. No-one cares. Why are U2 only playing eight concerts in New York this tour? :mad:

I think its just USA fans on the internet, and then only a vocal minority. I refuse to believe that all USA U2 fans are as ethnocentric as some of the people on the net.

Axver because there are more people in the New York Metro area than Australia, and it is their biggest market in the universe. Not that we don't feel your pain, but they play where the people are that will pay to go to 7 shows in 2 weeks. That and most of them will sleep in their own beds in New York.

It's also not our fault, our decision, or ours to feel guilty about. U2 is making all the choices here.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:
Axver because there are more people in the New York Metro area than Australia, and it is their biggest market in the universe. Not that we don't feel your pain, but they play where the people are that will pay to go to 7 shows in 2 weeks. That and most of them will sleep in their own beds in New York.

Well said. By many measuring sticks, New York City is its own country. I'm honored to have it be my birth city. :wink:

cmb737 said:
It's also not our fault, our decision, or ours to feel guilty about. U2 is making all the choices here.

That is correct but you must understand how it feels to read people whining that the set list is boring, that they only scored tickets to three shows, whatever.

It would just be really really cool if U2 played some countries other than North America and Western Europe. Its a big ole world out there....... waiting.

Please appreciate the fact that U2 are playing your country. You are very lucky. (Thats not personally directed to you, cmb737, by the way). No need to feel guilty, but appreciative would be appropriate.

Last edited:
I think it would be great if they would play some countries/areas they haven't played before or recently. And I think most people in those places wouldn't really mind if the shows weren't as full blown spectacles as they are in the US/Europe.

U2 on a stage playing the songs would be quite enough thrill I'd imagine.

jelloe said:
U2 has only played one New Mexico show in their history (Las Cruces - April 1987).

New Mexico isn't exactly very close to other scheduled shows either (>6 hours driving).

I thought it would be cool for them to do a show there on this tour, since NM is the birthplace of the atomic bomb. It would be even cooler if the show were free!

:cool:

I feel your pain.
Oklahoma has had only two shows and not since 1983.

But it's only 3 hours to Dallas from Oklahoma City, so it's not a huge deal. Plus, we haven't had a good arena in OKC until 2003.
I'm thankful we got a Dallas show this year, a little puzzled why Dallas only got one date. We'll see if they add another.

But I am basically in your region, Southwest U.S. or whatever, so I know how it is. :)

to my fellow U2 fans in Australia.

Don't let the ethnocentric, myopic Americans, who are a minority skew your views of some of the gripes.

U2 are going to play X number of shows in America period.
Whether that number is 60,75 I don't know, but you and I both know this is where they concentrate their touring.

So, to say something like,
"why does Chicago get 4 shows and Kansas City gets none"

Is a very legitimate question. It's just asking "of the 75, or whatever, why did they spend 4 of those on one city, rather than 2 or even 3 different cities"

It's not saying, "every city in America deserves a show"
It's "they are going to play them anyways, why not diversify"

at least that's how I look at it. I have no gripes, they play Dallas every tour, my 3 hour drive to Dallas is a hill of beans compared to what A LOT of people have to do to see them play.

Well said, U2DMfan. By no means is this an "us versus them" thing between the US and Europe, the US and Australia, etc.

Larry's recent Chicago interview makes it clear that the band will not undertake financially irresponsible actions, i.e., putting out albums like Passengers and Pop.
Australia got skipped on the 2001 Elevation Tour because of economics. At that time, Australia's economy was struggling mightily thereby making it questionable as to whether U2 would sell out shows "down under" literally months after 9/11. U2, in all likelihood, would have toured in Aussie, NZ, etc., had the economics made sense. They didn't, and so they didn't...

This time around, it's different.

stateless...

I don't really think it's a matter of countries or states...I think it's just a matter of distance.

For example, I lived in Texas during the Elevation Tour. I lived on the southern tip of Texas, which meant I had to drive 7 hours to get to the Dallas show.

Now I live in NC, and I very easily could get to Charlotte, DC, Atlanta, Philadelphia, etc. etc. etc. all in less time than it took to get to my own "home-concert" in 2001.

Not every country gets a show, not every state gets a show, I suppose it's just the luck of the draw and the luck of where you happen to live.

I told my fiance we could not move to western NC because U2 wouldn't have any shows close to it! LOL...and Lo and Behold, they added Charlotte to the tour. Go figure.

Axver said:

Ah, yes, but you don't live in America. No-one cares. Why are U2 only playing eight concerts in New York this tour? :mad:

I guess it has a lot to do with seating capacity of the venues they're playing. The band undoubtedly could sell out a 80,000 seat stadium and it makes me wonder whether I'd prefer to see them play a kickass 30+ song set once in a stadium or a reduced setlist and a chance to see them perform several times in a more "intimate" 20,000 seat setting. Look at all the dates from D.C. to Boston. Ohhh... my aching wallet! :)

jelloe said:

I was at that concert....my first U2 show. :yes:

Perhaps the reason they never went back is because they crowd wasn't very good. This was back when Bono would bring a fan onstage to play guitar. Several people said they could play but lied just to get on stage. Bono made a comment about NM being full of liers. Then he tried to do a sing-a-long to People Get Ready and no one in the audience really knew the words. A young army GI sitting next to me was the only person I heard singing. They ended the show WITHOUT playing 40....which didn't happen often back then. I'm sure they were pissed.

However, it was still an amazing night for me. Best part....I met Bono for the first time after the show. Only about 20 of us waiting for him....he chatted for quite a long time. :drool:

I've looked for a bootleg of this show for years. Still haven't found one. :|

U2DMfan thank you for your sensible post. I agree with you. Unfortunately the posts in question are not usually written in such a well thought out manner. They are more along the lines of "why isn't U2 playing my town, wah, wah, wah?' which has a considerably different tone and intent to what you have just written.

Thanks.

Re: Re: U2 fans living in NM must really want to move

U2DMfan said:

I feel your pain.
Oklahoma has had only two shows and not since 1983.

But it's only 3 hours to Dallas from Oklahoma City, so it's not a huge deal. Plus, we haven't had a good arena in OKC until 2003.
I'm thankful we got a Dallas show this year, a little puzzled why Dallas only got one date. We'll see if they add another.

But I am basically in your region, Southwest U.S. or whatever, so I know how it is. :)

I'm in OK too. I wish U2 would come here, but feel fortunate to be centrally located to catch other shows. Flew to Phoenix to see a leg 1 show...doing Dallas and St Louis for leg 3.

I just think it sucks for NM and other areas that have much longer drive times to get see a show. Only mentioned NM for the atomic bomb correlation.

All I know is thank God for Southwest Airlines!!!

Last edited:
bonosgirl84 said:
and i want to add that it certainly didn't make me "really want to move."

I wouldn't want to move from Las Vegas, NV either...

But say you lived in Las Vegas, NM...the closest show would be at least 8 hours driving (Denver). I just feel NM and other locations are getting screwed (not that I'm losing sleep over it).

Not only are you close to other scheduled shows, you get to enjoy them twice in Vegas too.

Beli...I take your point, and do appreciate them. Mightly. You should see my checking account. I do agree it's not fair for many outside of the US, but what I bristle at is when I perceive a "greedy Americans...getting all the shows" kind of attitude. To ignore the financial sense of 1) touring arenas and 2) arenas in major American metropolitian areas is short sighted. There is almost no risk for them.

Anyway, I do hope they get down there if not just for Axver's sanity sake.

cmb737 said:

because i'm sitting at work and am unbelievably bored, i decided to actually check the math on this...

the combined population of the new york metropolitan area... including new york city, long island, westchester, rockland, orange, putnam, bergen, hudson, union, essex, middlesex, monmouth, somerset, morris, passaic & fairfield counties... in a combined total land area of 6,037 miles (9,716km) is 18,944,961 people.

the total population of australia... in a combined total land area of 4,776,387 miles (7,686,850 km) is 20,090,437 people

so while your statement that there are a lot more people in the new york area is actually not true... your argument is still valid when you consider the entire continent of australia has just a bit over 1 million people more than the new york metro area has in just a tiny fraction of the land size.

and yes... it is very boring at work today :reject:

Last edited:
beli said:
U2DMfan thank you for your sensible post. I agree with you. Unfortunately the posts in question are not usually written in such a well thought out manner. They are more along the lines of "why isn't U2 playing my town, wah, wah, wah?' which has a considerably different tone and intent to what you have just written.

Thanks.

I'll second the thank you, and give an :up: to sensible people like U2DMfan and cmb for their well written posts.

Beli, you just nailed exactly what bothers me, the posts with a much different tone that act as if America is the centre of the world and that not even two whole legs of a tour are enough (like the posts about "we need a third date in X City! OMG why are U2 ignoring us?").

I know all the economic reasoning behind some of U2's touring schedule (I still don't understand why they don't play more European shows or why they haven't gone to mainland Asia, though) and I've even argued it myself when people have attacked U2 for being greedy, money-hungry people who've forgotten about the music. However ... seven hours driving? Big deal. That seems rather inconsequential to me, the guy who is spending double the time flying over the Pacific, and that's only one leg of my trip to Boston! At least I'm going, though, which is more than I can say for the vast majority of Australian and Kiwi fans, who truly deserve concerts and who I feel very sorry for. I feel kind of guilty being able to afford to travel to three shows when I see them staying in Australia or NZ without any concerts at all.

Re: Re: U2 fans living in NM must really want to move

Dasani said:

I've looked for a bootleg of this show for years. Still haven't found one. :|

Dasani,

I've got mp3s of this show - will post links over in the music on the internet forum by tomorrow night.

Last edited:
people in winnipeg like me must really want to move we havent had a show since popmart. It sucks

I fell very lucky to be able to go to one show and drive only 5, 6 hours to get there (that will be the show in Vienna). It makes it extra special and bigger and more important than if I could go to 3 concerts in a row just using my bycicle.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
and yes... it is very boring at work today :reject:

quite right, except it all depends on who you talk to and what you consider an urban or metropolitan area.

Here is a list from geography.about.com:

Largest Urban Areas in the World:
1 Tokyo, Japan 28 million
2 New York City, United States 20.1 million
3 Mexico City, Mexico 18.1 million
4 Mumbai, India (Bombay) 18 million
5 Sao Paulo, Brazil 17.7 million
6 Los Angeles, United States 15.8 million

or a list from answers.com:

1 Tokyo-Yokohama-Kawasaki-Chiba, Japan (Greater Tokyo Area) 33,750,000
2 São Paulo-Guarulhos-Santo André-Osasco, Brazil 22,700,000
3 Mexico City-Nezahualcóyotl-Ecatepec-Naucalpan, Mexico 22,150,000
4 Seoul-Incheon-Bucheon-Goyang-Seongnam-Suweon, South Korea (Capital Metropolitan Area) 22,000,000
5 New York City, New York-Newark, New Jersey-Paterson, New Jersey, United States (New York Metropolitan Area) 21,750,000
6 Mumbai-Navi Mumbai-Kalyan-Thane-Ulhasnagar, Maharashtra, India (Brihanmumbai/Greater Mumbai) 18,800,000

It's all semantics, and I think we all would agree that there are a LOT of cities out there that deserve U2 shows...in both of those lists, only New York has had one in 8 years.

Here's to U2 Verti-Aussie 2006.

cmb737 said:

quite right, except it all depends on who you talk to and what you consider an urban or metropolitan area.

Here is a list from geography.about.com:

Largest Urban Areas in the World:
1 Tokyo, Japan 28 million
2 New York City, United States 20.1 million
3 Mexico City, Mexico 18.1 million
4 Mumbai, India (Bombay) 18 million
5 Sao Paulo, Brazil 17.7 million
6 Los Angeles, United States 15.8 million

or a list from answers.com:

1 Tokyo-Yokohama-Kawasaki-Chiba, Japan (Greater Tokyo Area) 33,750,000
2 São Paulo-Guarulhos-Santo André-Osasco, Brazil 22,700,000
3 Mexico City-Nezahualcóyotl-Ecatepec-Naucalpan, Mexico 22,150,000
4 Seoul-Incheon-Bucheon-Goyang-Seongnam-Suweon, South Korea (Capital Metropolitan Area) 22,000,000
5 New York City, New York-Newark, New Jersey-Paterson, New Jersey, United States (New York Metropolitan Area) 21,750,000
6 Mumbai-Navi Mumbai-Kalyan-Thane-Ulhasnagar, Maharashtra, India (Brihanmumbai/Greater Mumbai) 18,800,000

It's all semantics, and I think we all would agree that there are a LOT of cities out there that deserve U2 shows...in both of those lists, only New York has had one in 8 years.

Here's to U2 Verti-Aussie 2006.

hmmm... i guess those 11 shows in LA or anaheim over the past two tours don't count :wink:

i'm sure other cities deserve more shows as well. i'm not attempting to be ethnocentric here. but the reality of the situation is that they go where the biggest demand is. :shrug: who knows... i don't think they're really jumping all over themselves in bombay for a u2 show.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom