U2 fans living in NM must really want to move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

hmmm... i guess those 11 shows in LA or anaheim over the past two tours don't count :wink:

i'm sure other cities deserve more shows as well. i'm not attempting to be ethnocentric here. but the reality of the situation is that they go where the biggest demand is. :shrug: who knows... i don't think they're really jumping all over themselves in bombay for a u2 show.

completely agree. I forgot I put LA in that list...meant to do top 5. :reject:

It doesn't bother me at all that U2 don't come to New Mexico. Even if we did have a proper venue for them, I doubt they'd sell out except perhaps for people traveling here to see them. R.E.M. didn't even sell out a small theatre in Abq. last fall--or at least I saw lots of empty seats. Of course U2's different because people do travel great distances to see them but I seriously doubt they'd sell out here. I am quite happy to be able to drive to Denver and Phoenix to see them and anyone else I want to see.

Las Cruces must've been a weird place for them to play and certainly would not be representative of a typical NM rock & roll audience.

The great thing about living in NM is that when smaller artists play here, people I really love like Wilco and Tori Amos (or even REM), you can always find me right up front because it's pretty easy to get good seats. And when Damien Rice played Santa Fe last year there were less than 100 people there whereas he was selling out venues that seat 3000 across the country. Probably means he'll never come back, though.

Last edited:
I live in NM and I never expect U2 to play here. I always go to Phoenix or Denver or Salt Lake or anywhere else in the country! We do have access to national and international air travel here, even though there are lots of folks out there that think NM still only has dirt roads and we travel by wagon train...and don't speak English.

and...

Bono and Edge have a "thing" about Santa Fe, our capital city. They are involved with several local artists there and visit whenever they're in the area....and have time.

I was at that REM concert last fall and just kept thinking how cool it would be if U2 would play a venue like that...HA!

Seeking Adam said:
So are fans from USA are only ones that are 'ethnocentric' here

When the USA receives 2 legs of a 3 legged tour and a vocal minority complain that there are not enough USA shows - yes.

Obviously anyone who wants to see U2 live has a self interest in doing so.

As a previous poster pointed out its not about begruding USA fans for the fact they have been so lucky to receive so many dates on both this tour and the last. But asking for more can rub the wrong way for some people who havent had the opportunity to see U2 since their last world tour - PopMart, or haven't had the opportunity to see them at all eg Asia

I live in New Mexico (but go to school in North Carolina), and it's not really a big deal. You get your choice of a seven hour drive to Denver or a seven hour drive to Phoenix, since they always hit both.

The only big city we have instate is Albuquerque (three hours from where I live), which isn't even particularly big. The east is all scrunched together, and I don't think folks there realize that us southwesterners are used to driving a lot to get anywhere.

That said, I like it when U2 does real world tours, if only because the bootlegs are more interesting. PopMart gave us some incredible soundboard/broadcast recordings from Sarajevo, Tel Aviv, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Santiago, and Johannesburg, and they each have different vibes, often feeding off the audience's energy (US audiences suck).

Last edited:
typhoon said:
(US audiences suck).

You know, I think that has a lot to do with the band and the audience. I've heard bands say that Australian and European crowds are bad (at the very least lacklustre) and US audiences are great. And at least one of the musicians I've heard say that is no great fan of the US (although he likes his fans -- it's the rest of you he can't stand! :wink: ).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom