U2 Fans lining up two days before...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
U2 Fans Line Up Outside of Stadium Two Days Before Final European Concert

AFP, August 13, 2005

Fans of the Irish rock band U2 have started queuing up outside a Lisbon stadium that will on Sunday night host the group's final European concert of their latest world tour to ensure they get a good view of the stage, Portuguese media reported.

Spanish siblings Andres, 22, and his sister Paloma, 16, set up camp outside of the gates of the stadium on Friday at noon, making them the first in line to enter the venue, cable news channel Sic-Noticias reported.

"It will be the first time that we see them in concert and we really want to enjoy it," Andres told the station.

The brother and sister, who paid scalpers 800 euros (995 dollars) each for their tickets, said they spent their time reading and playing cards and their mother stood in for them when they went to a nearby hotel to shower.

The 52,000 tickets for the concert at Alvalade stadium have been sold out since March.

The band's worldwide Vertigo tour, its first in four years, will conclude in mid-December in the US.

Before the concert Portuguese President Jorge Sampaio will present the four members of the band with the Order of Liberty, one of the nation's highest honours, in recognition of their humanitarian efforts.

U2 frontman Bono, along with fellow band members The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen, have spearheaded a global push to tackle African poverty, most recently during last month's Live 8 concert in London.

(c) AFP, 2005.

who paid scalpers 800 euros (995 dollars) each for their tickets

the price you pay to be in the 1st row :eyebrow:
i`d have to work a lot to earn this much... i agree - absolute madness!
kl

ok they are idiots if they paid 1000 bucks for a GA ticket to a stadium show

I'm not sure whether to be impressed by those two people or appalled by them...

$1000 each? That has to be a misprint.

I feel sorry for teenagers in this day and age of $150 concert tickets. How the hell can they afford to see any of the big shows nowadays?

I used to see 50 concerts a year back in the day... no way that is now possible for anyone but the wealthiest among us.

I remember paying $10 for my first U2 show back in '83. I paid for the ticket from wages made from my $3.35/hour job working at the local movie theatre. Tickets for the 3000 person arena sold out in one hour. No internet sales, no $40 Fanclub bullshit, everyone just stood in line to buy their tickets in person. Nobody bought up any extra tickets to "scalp", everyone just bought what they were going to use.

Now, we're all in competition with the idle rich who don't think twice about dropping wads of cash on high-profile concert tours, just to be "seen", causing this massively distorted ticket market that forces normal fans to forego food and medicine for a month in order to afford these absurd prices.

It's a bit ironic, isn't it, that while Bono is constantly on TV pleading with us to pay attention to what's happening everyday in the poorest parts of Africa, people like these two Spaniards and their Mama see nothing wrong with throwing their money around in such an obscene manner in order to see this same Bono live on stage pleading with them to help Africa... no doubt those two kids will cheer the loudest during Bono's sermons.

OK, OK, rant over, sorry, what the hell is wrong with me.

Last edited:
4U2Play said:

It's a bit ironic, isn't it, that while Bono is constantly on TV pleading with us to pay attention to what's happening everyday in the poorest parts of Africa, people like these two Spaniards and their Mama see nothing wrong with throwing their money around in such an obscene manner in order to see this same Bono live on stage pleading with them to help Africa... no doubt those two kids will cheer the loudest during Bono's sermons.

OK, OK, rant over, sorry, what the hell is wrong with me.

I can see what you're saying, but if it makes you feel any better, I was kinda in this situation last fall when I had the oppportunity to go study in Africa for a month. I already pay for my own school tuition, rent, transportation, meds, food, everything, but I couldn't pass it up so I took out two additional student loans to go. I knew I had to decide between the tour and going to Africa, and I chose Africa. Thankfully, I was able to go to two spring shows b/c I worked full time over spring break instead of my usual camping trip. Then I got a raise for the summer and a tuition break for my summer class I didn't see coming and that made it possible to get tickets for fall shows.

I guess I've got my cake and I'm eating it too, as far as practicing what Bono preaches and being able to afford hearing him preach!

Well since most of us on interference.com are from North American, we can say were freakin lazy having a GA lottery.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom