U2 European stage from Eurovision?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatsnotmypuppy

War Child
After watching the Eurovision semifinals last night, the BBC(?) voice over guy stated during a montage of how they built the set that the circular stage (its seethrough with lighting underneath) was now going to be going on tour with Bono...

They even commented it can withstand eight tons of pressure - but maybe thats not enough for Bono's ego...

thatsnotmypuppy said:
After watching the Eurovision semifinals last night, the BBC(?) voice over guy stated during a montage of how they built the set that the circular stage (its seethrough with lighting underneath) was now going to be going on tour with Bono...

They even commented it can withstand eight tons of pressure - but maybe thats not enough for Bono's ego...
wow what a way to have a dig at the band nice one

and NO it will not be the same stage, thats pretty much certain

I think perhaps the main circular area may be what is being used - its is huge, it is a circle (thus bulls ey), it is see through - thus they could put a screen, etc under it, and it has led's all around - perfect for the bulls eye - which if you lok on the schematic drawings that have been doing the orunds appears to be a stand alone section of the stage.

I wouldn't be surprised. REM is currently using the same neon lighting rig they had at the 2003 Eurovision - or extremely similar...

And yes - Norway's piss-poor version of The Darkness should win it! Now that The Netherlands is out... grumble, etc

Go Wig Wam!!

Last edited:
I've heard the same and after checking the internet too many sources seem to confirm this. So I did a simple Google search.

After reading a few of these articles I found out that it appears that not the entire stage will go on tour with u2, but only the LED-tubes!!:

From an interview with Pavlo, one of the hosts:

"The companies Zinteco and Visual Act worked together on the construction of the stage and have managed to realise the concept which they were originally shown on computer. The cones and tubes, which decorate the stage, represent the forest where the fern, the symbol of this year Eurovision, is found. The design of these stage decorations is quite abstract because every singer has their own performance and therefore the decorations have to be suitable for all of them," explains Pavlo. "The huge tubes hanging above the stage are made from small (6x10 sm) diode-light elements and were specially made by Barco for the contest. It's the latest in modern technology and after Eurovision they will go on tour with U2!" beams Pavlo. "I really like these features as they correspond to our idea of what this Eurovision should be about.

Some Pics:

20050516220221.tn_stage_copy.jpg

07_stage05_2005.jpg

07_stage02_2005.jpg

I've always thought that's what's been missing from U2's music - the touch of Eurovision.

Some cheesy lyrics, 80's synths, 5 dancers in lycra and Roman-style fake leather, and Greek back up singers.

It'd work a treat!

Bobo U2 said:
The best Eurovision song ever was "My Lovely Horse" :laugh:

lol...very true....the scene where they are writing it is one of my fave moments ever... "JUST PLAY THE FACKIN NOTE DOUGAL!"

Back
Top Bottom