U2.com sounds pissed now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramblin rose

Site Team
Staff member
Dated February 1, 2005 from u2.com

Scalpers Be Warned

Our thanks to many U2.Com subscribers who have sent us details of scalpers selling 'Vertigo' tour tickets - we are pursuing the leads you have mailed us.

Last week many U2 fans got in touch with us to complain about ticket touts offering tickets for the 'Vertigo 2005 Tour' at extortionate prices.

You have sent us in many useful online links and other information and a whole raft of ticket offers have already been taken down from online auction sites.

More action will follow.

Some of these touts have posed as genuine U2 fans, taken out a subscription and bought tickets in the presale only to readvertise them for huge sums.

Please be aware that anyone advertising tickets online does not have them in their possession yet - technology is helping us connect scalpers' offers with the original purchase of tickets.

When we identify rogue U2.Com subscribers as the source of sold-on tickets we are taking action to cancel the sale of those tickets and to redistribute those tickets to subscribers who have yet to get tickets.

Please also note the following clause in our terms of subscription to U2.Com.
"We reserve the right to block access to or cancel a ticket order of any user that we believe, in our sole and absolute discretion: (i) is or is associated with any ticket broker or scalper, (ii) is utilizing automated means to process or place ticket orders, or (iii) whose ticket order exceeds the stated limit."

If you have further information on scalpers and touts exploiting the tour,please let us know.

That's great news

...except that makes me nervous cause I used one of my two codes twice... once for Europe, once for the States

:shifty:

I think a few of us pulled that one...

:reject:

ramblin rose said:
Dated February 1, 2005 from u2.com

When we identify rogue U2.Com subscribers as the source of sold-on tickets we are taking action to cancel the sale of those tickets and to redistribute those tickets to subscribers who have yet to get tickets.

does this mean there is still hope!?

hey, what if ticketmaster isnt the one handling tickets in some european countries, how can they trace whether or not your code has been used for the US?

norsehorse23 said:
hey, what if ticketmaster isnt the one handling tickets in some european countries, how can they trace whether or not your code has been used for the US?

I guess it's just not clear how U2.com is actually tracking the use of the codes (or if they are at all).

In the U.S. it was clear because it seems to be ticketmaster tracking the use of the codes. And the way they were tracking it was 2 tickets per code (it didn't matter if it was for different venues) even though that technically violated the u2.com policy.

In other words, there's no way to know. Maybe they thought that just by threatening to cancel tickets and imposing rules people would just follow them.

Its obvious that the codes will work both in the US and Europe simultaneously. What we don't know is if 3 or 4 weeks down the line they would have done some worldwide audit and tickets will start getting cancelled.

I would love to get tickets in the Barcelona presale. I think I'll be able to get those tickets in the regular sale given the large amounts of tickets available in Spain. I'm not sure I'm willing to risk my tickets in the U.S. (after everything I went through to get them) by violating the u2.com policy.

I can always claim my code was stolen. I had my friend use it for our Dublin tickets with her cc and address...

But yep, this is definitely good news... :wink:

I would also take this as a warning to not buy any tickets from sellers on eBay. They're liable to be cancelled out from under you.

I am so happy that U2.com is doing this too, maybe it will stop people from abusing the system. But most of all, it will allow some of you who got absolutely screwed with tickets to get them. And to me, that means better, more enthusiastic crowds at the shows I will be at, which in turn might make the band play better. The real fans will be there, and I will be cheering along with them.:applaud:

U2Girl1978 said:

Even if they are sold at the right price??

It looks like they are just going after the ones who are selling at outrageous prices.

what about using different credit card info in europe for your presale code. since i got my US tickets with my credit card, would they trace the order to me if i used different credit card info???

I think part of the tracking should be to look at mailing addresses for people. I think atu2.com said some scalpers had 150 user names. What U2 fan would sign up for 150 user names? Limit the user names.

As for tickets, if you are selling on eBay for example, you put a pic of the scanned tickets online. I believe they would have some sort of code that could be tracked -- number for sale code, tracking ID for where tickets were bought, bar code that can give info on buyer, etc.

The real problem here is not the sclapers who are dumb enough to post on eBay. That is not going to dent the Ticketbastars. broker cosy relationship. The scalprers on ebay are small fry. What U2.com realy needs to do is go after the big-time brokers who have had no problem telling fans they brought 150 or 600 or whatever subscriptions under different names etc. (see the News on atu2.com).

There is a simple way to kick these people off gthe baord and smash a little bit of the Network, and TM may be maming it easier fir us, ironically: they are only giving GA's and tickets to the fans "Who complained" (as it is saying in the prequisite for fans who are respoding to the offer.)

Fine: wiat a week or two, go through the database of all the fans who "complained" and accepted the offer, and then make a list of those who didn't. I'll bet you'll find amuch smaller list. And to make sure that noinnocent fan who ddn't get through at all doesn'tr get caght upin the rollpurge, take those subsribers and do some high-tech hacker fancy-schmancy work and determine how many of those "different addresses" .etc were realy that of one person. I'm sure they could do this with credit cards transaction records. They could obtain the legal authority, and we have months. They have the time. If they find that 600 different "subscribers" bought tickets wit the same credit card, ther'ed be a ..um, problem.

I still am a little confused as to how the cancellation would work if I used a different card/address if I used my presale code again in Europe... do all my tickets get cancelled, or just the ones I tried to get in addition????

norsehorse23 said:
I still am a little confused as to how the cancellation would work if I used a different card/address if I used my presale code again in Europe... do all my tickets get cancelled, or just the ones I tried to get in addition????

No one knows the answer to this. Personally, I don't think the CC has anything to do with it. What is unique is the presale code. If you use your code against what u2.com setout as the rules they have the right to void all of your tickets.

As the original article in this thread points out:

Please also note the following clause in our terms of subscription to U2.Com.
"We reserve the right to block access to or cancel a ticket order of any user that we believe, in our sole and absolute discretion: (i) is or is associated with any ticket broker or scalper, (ii) is utilizing automated means to process or place ticket orders, or (iii) whose ticket order exceeds the stated limit."

So basically you can do it at your own risk. They're either going to audit the codes used or they're not. I'm not sure you'll be able to find the definitive answer. It's a gamble.

Sounds like it's not worth the risk.... thanks ramblin rose! I was tempted if only the ones I added would be cancelled, I don't want to lose my MSG tix. Oh well, I still have a few family members in Norway who may be able to help me out on Saturday.

norsehorse23 said:
Sounds like it's not worth the risk.... thanks ramblin rose! I was tempted if only the ones I added would be cancelled, I don't want to lose my MSG tix. Oh well, I still have a few family members in Norway who may be able to help me out on Saturday.

If I had a ticket from the presale to MSG, I WOULD NOT RISK IT FOR ANYTHING.

But that's just me.:wink:

I think they need to look at the broker's sites, I've never seen so many tickets up for sale as they have for U2 at the largest prices I have ever seen, especially for the so cali dates and the NY area dates. I'm not sure how they are doing anything, because how can they tell what the brokers are selling, or who the brokers even are. Could be legitimate tickets from onsale dates.

Last edited:
Last edited:
What a fucking joke.
So let me get this straight. U2 completely screw up the presales denying me any realistic shot a GA tickets. NO CHANCE. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.
We all know what a big joke the public onsales are. I don't have a shot in hell there either.
And now they have the audacity to go after the only people who can get me a GA? NOW they go after the scalpers. Those pricks.

IF I CAN'T BUY FROM A SCALPER I CAN'T GET A GA TICKET YOU MORONS!!

Spare me the nonsense about returning the tickets to some theoretical pool. They sure won't be offering them to U2.com members so how does it help me? It doesn't. It's a joke.
If you can't handle a presale yourselves then get your frickin' nose out the professional scalpers business.
Let them do their thing and let me get a ticket.
You pricks.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

a little angry there???? listen, the fact of the matter is that these people should not be charging what they are on ebay. if you want to pay that kind of money, go ahead, it's your right to do that. just remember when you do that, it keeps the scalpers in business, and the prices will continue to get inflated.

"Please be aware that anyone advertising tickets online does not have them in their possession yet - technology is helping us connect scalpers' offers with the original purchase of tickets."

The article say this but it is not really true (at least as of today_

I got my San Jose tickets through ticketmaster and got them yesterday UPS - they are in my possession!

I also got San Diego thorugh ticketmaster and printed them off through ticketfast so they are in my possession mow too.

Not everyone is a scalper. My friend had extras for a show that she can't go to (but got them just incase she couldn't get what she wanted) and put them on ebay to unload them.
Why shouldn't she be allowed to do that?

TC said:
"Please be aware that anyone advertising tickets online does not have them in their possession yet - technology is helping us connect scalpers' offers with the original purchase of tickets."

The article say this but it is not really true (at least as of today_

I got my San Jose tickets through ticketmaster and got them yesterday UPS - they are in my possession!

I also got San Diego thorugh ticketmaster and printed them off through ticketfast so they are in my possession mow too.

Not everyone is a scalper. My friend had extras for a show that she can't go to (but got them just incase she couldn't get what she wanted) and put them on ebay to unload them.
Why shouldn't she be allowed to do that?

I think there is a difference between your friend selling some extra tickets (at face value + costs) versus someone selling 50 GA tickets at $500 a pop.

I don't think u2.com is looking for your friend.

not to mention that u2 cant cancel non pre-sale tickets. If some broker bought 8 tickets to every show at the general on sale and has 50 auctions going (depending on the state and if they are licensed) that is perfectly legal.

I just think U2 is trying to divert your attention from being mad at them and make you mad at scalpers. The change in fan ticketing that U2 allowed and profited off of (90,000 x 40=3.6 million dollars just to give out presale codes) is the reason for the blatant abuse.

I think it is a lot of talk.

Back
Top Bottom