U2 and Springsteen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Springsteen & the E street band put on a 2.5 to 3 hour concert. Considerably the best show Dollar for Dollar you'll ever get. I've seen Bruce & the band about 40 times, seen U2 1/2 dozen that doesn't mean I don't like them. One of the best things about Bruce is he changes 1/2 the show from one night to the next, which is what I wish U2 would do since they have plenty of material to keep the show fresh.
Seeing Bruce in a small venue is a treat, & if you would realize how special it is, you might try taking in a show.

see you all in CHI/Vegas/Miami got GA's for all 3.....
Bruce in Boston on the 20th of may.

I'm a rocker said it perfect......

I'm not impressed with u2 playing "The Ocean"

Springsteen & the E street band put on a 2.5 to 3 hour concert. Considerably the best show Dollar for Dollar you'll ever get. I've seen Bruce & the band about 40 times, seen U2 1/2 dozen that doesn't mean I don't like them. One of the best things about Bruce is he changes 1/2 the show from one night to the next, which is what I wish U2 would do since they have plenty of material to keep the show fresh.
Seeing Bruce in a small venue is a treat, & if you would realize how special it is, you might try taking in a show.

Erin go bragh said:
I don't know, but you can get a good measure of the sustaining power of U2 versus The Boss by looking at the venues each is playing. U2 are selling out arenas in San Diego, Anaheim and L.A. here in So Cal. Meanwhile, The Boss is playing in the vast (insert sarcasm flag here) Pantages Theater. And, asking a crapload for admission as well (more than U2's cheapies).

But hey, hopefully the guys will bring his tired butt up onstage and give him some face time. :p

Considering Bruce Springsteen's 2002/2003 Rising Tour was the largest grossing tour of all time you are only showing your ignorance.

I think the fact Bruce sold out 10 consecutive dates at the 50K capacity Giants Stadium in '03 in a matter of hours shows he is playing theaters to give fans a chance to see him up close in an imtimate setting. He's promoting a solo acoustic abum, which would sound ridiculous in a stadium or arena setting.

U2 are awesome too, but both are VERY different bands. It's your call to like/dislike each respectively but they can't be compared musically. And if Bruce is 'tired' 'cause he doesn't keep changing to keep up with what is 'hip' - all power to him, at least he doesn't have something as heinous as 'POP' in his catalogue.

Bonoforever said:
at least he doesn't have something as heinous as 'POP' in his catalogue.

Human Touch? Lucky Town? The Ghost Of Tom Joad? All piss-poor, if you ask me.

I love Bruce and U2 both, so comparing them both is a waste of time.

I just wish U2 took some notes from the boss and played longer, and changed up the show a bit.

I was listening to a Bruce show from Giants Stadium in 03, and thought why can't u2 play more songs...

I don't need to hear New Year's day anymore.....

Give me "Surrender, sort of a homecoming,"

apl said:

Springsteen & the E street band put on a 2.5 to 3 hour concert. Considerably the best show Dollar for Dollar you'll ever get.
Not arguing with Bruce, I think he's just about the best concert value around at $75 a ticket for a 3 hour show, but the best value in rock today is definitely Pearl Jam, tix prices usually around $40-45, shows usually as long as Bruce's and setlist shakeup that can't be beaten, including playing like 105 different songs over a 3 night stand in Boston in 2003, the final show of which included a 1 hour acoustic preset before the opening band and a main set that ran 2 hrs 45 minutes.

Hewson said:
Not arguing with Bruce, I think he's just about the best concert value around at $75 a ticket for a 3 hour show, but the best value in rock today is definitely Pearl Jam, tix prices usually around $40-45, shows usually as long as Bruce's and setlist shakeup that can't be beaten, including playing like 105 different songs over a 3 night stand in Boston in 2003, the final show of which included a 1 hour acoustic preset before the opening band and a main set that ran 2 hrs 45 minutes.

I think the value thing just comes down to how much you like the artist... it's a very individual thing.

That said, even when I was most into U2 during the Elevation tour I did get bored with the lack of changes in the setlist, it was very much the same show and I only went a handful of times. But then again, the majority of people at shows are only casual fans and I guess the show has to cater to that, hence all the Born To Runs and New Years Days. But U2 could use a little more variation...

Bonoforever said:

Considering Bruce Springsteen's 2002/2003 Rising Tour was the largest grossing tour of all time you are only showing your ignorance.

Considering ticket price has alot to do with the "gross", your accusation of me being ignorant is, well, ignorant.

The deal is, U2 offers $49-$50 tickets to their fans because they know it's easier to afford. The Boss offers $95.00 tickets to his fans because, well, he knows he can get it.

I will not back off my statement that U2 has more staying power across the globe. Keep in mind that Bruce was hugely popular back on The Rising tour because he had no problem with making a profit riding the coattails of the 9/11 tragedy.

There....that oughta stir up the shit a bit. :tongue:

Imarocker said:

see you all in CHI/Vegas/Miami got GA's for all 3.....
Bruce in Boston on the 20th of may.

IMArocker, i also was lucky enough to get the Bruce show on May 20- never seen him before and i am pumped up- what time do you think he would go on for an acoustic show?

I love U2, but am always disappointed in the lack of variety night to night- best show i ever saw was Providence on 10/31/01, they really changed things up for that one- it was Larry's b-day and it felt like they were playing around a lot more than usual

Erin go bragh said:

Considering ticket price has alot to do with the "gross", your accusation of me being ignorant is, well, ignorant.

The deal is, U2 offers $49-$50 tickets to their fans because they know it's easier to afford. The Boss offers $95.00 tickets to his fans because, well, he knows he can get it.

You're gonna lose this aspect of your argument for sure...All tix for the Rising tour were face valued at $75.00
U2 has $49.50 tix, $95.00 tix and $165.00 tix.
Based on what I've seen I'd break down the approximate percentage of each as this:
$49.50 tix are GA and rear or opposite end balconies, probably 25-30% of tix available.
$95.00 tix are remainder of balcony, lower rears and some opposite end lowers depending upon venue...probably 40-45%
$165.00 tix are remaining lowers, probably 25-30%

So the average U2 ticket price is likely about $98.85, more than Springsteen.

springsteen is doing a small theater tour because he wants to.

like has already been said... he sold out 10 shows at Giants Stadium in Joisey durring his last tour, played three more "sold out" shows @ Shea Stadium (even though there were some seats they didn't sell at shea... still had 50,000 tickets sold).

giants stadium holds 63,000 for an end stage concert (behind the stage was blocked out). 50,000 tickets were sold at shea stadium.

so that comes out to 13 shows and a grand total of 780,000 tickets sold... a little more than 3/4s of a million people, in one metro-area.

now let's compare that to U2... including both legs in america, they're playing 8 shows at MSG (17,000 capacity) and two at Continental Airlines (17,000 capacity).
That comes out to 170,000 people in 10 shows.

Let's add the 4 philly dates at approx 18,000 capacity at Wachovia...
we're up to 240,000 people in 14 shows.

now let's add the artist fomerly known as the fleet center into the mix... 7 shows at @ 18,000 capacity...
we're now up to 366,000 people at 21 shows.

let's add chicago's 6 dates, also at 18,000...
474,000 people at 27 shows.

now let's add the 4 LA shows and 2 Anaheim shows, also at 18,000
582,000 at 33 shows.

two shows in DC, two shows in detroit, two shows in denver...
690,000 people at 39 shows.

let's toss in buffalo and hartford at 17,000 each
724,000 people at 41 shows.

let's add dallas, houston and vegas in...
that brings us to a total of 778,000 people at 44 shows.

so in conclusion...

springsteen... 1 city... 13 shows... 780,000 tickets sold.

u2... 14 cities... 44 shows... 778,000 tickets sold.

so ummmmm yea... long story short... bruce is doing just fine.

Last edited:
Hewson said:
You're gonna lose this aspect of your argument for sure...All tix for the Rising tour were face valued at $75.00
U2 has $49.50 tix, $95.00 tix and $165.00 tix.
Based on what I've seen I'd break down the approximate percentage of each as this:
$49.50 tix are GA and rear or opposite end balconies, probably 25-30% of tix available.
$95.00 tix are remainder of balcony, lower rears and some opposite end lowers depending upon venue...probably 40-45%
$165.00 tix are remaining lowers, probably 25-30%

So the average U2 ticket price is likely about $98.85, more than Springsteen.

LOL, thanks - you saved me typing that all out....

Never heard that one about Springsteen milking 9/11 before, you're obv stirring things up as everyone knows most of the Rising wasn't all about 9/11 right.... that My City Of Ruins was written about Asbury Park and he lent it to the Tribute to Heros? ;)

We must be forgetting that Bono scheduled US dates straight after 9/11 to try and 'lift the sprits of the people'

Slag Bruce as much as you like but comments like that are a low blow as he's from the county worst hit outside NYC on 9/11 - of course he's gonna write about it.

That aside, I think the Reunion Tour in 2000 did pretty well considering Bruce didn't have any tragedies to milk, lol

I agree with what Hewson said regarding ticket prices. It certainly isn't much different between Bruce and U2.

And by the way, Elton John doesn't go on tour by himself with just his piano. He's got a full band with him. That's why he plays arenas, the same as Bruce does when the E Street Band joins him.

Bruce did the same thing back in 1995 - an acoustic tour in small venues. That's because it is what he wanted to do, not because of what he could do. His popularity is just as strong as U2's is, and rightfully so.

I don't mind your opinions about Springsteen, but you really should have your facts straight before arguing a point.

Come now, you didn't really think I was serious about the "riding the coattails" comment, did you? I even deliberately mentioned it was dropped to "stir up shit" (mission accomplished, I guess). If one is to accuse Bruce of riding the coattails of the 9/11 tragedy, then there's a ton of other folks who stand accused of the same.

I was just tryin to ruffle some feathers.

But in response to Bruce selling out Giants Stadium and Shea Stadium, I bet if U2 played Croke or Slane 30 days straight in their hometown, they'd sell out every show as well. It's how they draw far from home that should be looked at.

Now since alot of you have pretty strong facts about Bruce's recent tours, one of you I'm sure can tell me the last time he toured Europe and how well his draw was.

Or, we can chalk this up as pure non-sense and just move on. :)

Erin go bragh said:
I will not back off my statement that U2 has more staying power across the globe. Keep in mind that Bruce was hugely popular back on The Rising tour because he had no problem with making a profit riding the coattails of the 9/11 tragedy.

There....that oughta stir up the shit a bit. :tongue:

sssslow down... alan jackson wrode the coattails of 9/11. bruce springsteen is FROM the area. 3/4s of his songs are about either jersey or new york city. why would he not write about 9/11? and it's not like the songs are obvious... empty sky, into the fire... yes... they are about 9/11. but they never once mention the trade center... one could interpet them differently if they chose to. it's not like he put together some cheesy country diddy like jackson did and made a profit from it.

and FYI... durring the Reunion tour of 1999-2000... well before 9/11... Bruce & the E Street played 15 consecutive sold out concerts at Continental Airlines Arena and 10 consecutive sold out shows at Madison Square Garden.

Who's coat tails was he riding then?

Erin go bragh said:
Now since alot of you have pretty strong facts about Bruce's recent tours, one of you I'm sure can tell me the last time he toured Europe and how well his draw was.

sure thing...

1999 reunion tour...

09 April Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona, Spain
11 April Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona, Spain
13 April Olympiahalle, Munich, Germany
15 April Kölnarena, Köln, Germany
17 April Palamalaguti, Casalecchio Del Reno, Italy
19 April Filaforum, Assago, Italy
20 April Filaforum, Assago, Italy
23 April Donauarena, Regensburgh, Germany
24 April Stadthalle, Vienna, Austria
26 April Hallenstadion, Zurich, Switzerland
28 April Halle Tony Garnier, Lyon, France

01 May Evening News Arena, Manchester, England
02 May Evening News Arena, Manchester, England
16 May Nec, Birmingham, England
18 May Earls Court, London, England
19 May Earls Court, London, England
21 May Earls Court, London, England
23 May Earls Court, London, England
25 May RDS, Dublin, Ireland
27 May Flanders Expo, Gent, Belgium
29 May Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany
30 May Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany

02 Jun Bercy, Paris, France
03 Jun Bercy, Paris, France
05 Jun Romareda Stadium, Zaragosa, Spain
07 Jun Estadio De La Comunitad, Madrid, Spain
11 Jun Stadio Marassi, Genoa, Italy
13 Jun Placher Stadium, Leipzip, Germany
15 Jun Stadion, Offenbach, Germany
17 Jun Bremen, Germany
19 Jun Gelredome, Arnhem, Holland
20 Jun Gelredome, Arnhem, Holland
23 Jun Olympic Stadium, Stockholm, Sweden
24 Jun Olympic Stadium, Stockholm, Sweden
26 Jun Parken, Copenhagen, Denmark
27 Jun Valle Hovin Stadium, Oslo, Norway

2002-2003 rising tour

14 October Bercy Palais Omnisports, Paris, France
16 October Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona, Spain
18 October PalaMalaguti, Bologna, Italy
20 October Velodrom, Berlin, Germany
22 October Ahoy, Rotterdam, Netherlands
24 October The Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden
27 October Wembley Arena, London, England

06 May De Kuip Stadium, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
08 May De Kuip Stadium, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
10 May Südweststadion, Ludwigshafen, Germany
12 May Koning Boudewijnstadion, Brussels, Belgium
15 May Estadio El Molinon, Gijon, Spain
17 May Olympic Stadium, Barcelona, Spain
19 May Estadio de La Peineta, Madrid, Spain
22 MaySchalke Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany
24 May Stade de France, Paris, France
26 May Crystal Palace National Sports Arena, London, England
27 May Crystal Palace National Sports Arena, London, England
29 May Lancashire County Cricket Club, Manchester, England
31 May RDS, Dublin, Ireland

08 June Franchi Stadium, Firenze, Italy
10 June Olympic Stadium, Munich, Germany
12 June AOL Arena, Hamburg, Germany
14 June Parken Stadium, Copenhagen, Denmark
16 June Olympic Stadium, Helsinki, Finland
17 June Olympic Stadium, Helsinki, Finland
19 June Valle Hovin Stadium, Oslo, Norway
21 June Ullevi Stadium, Gothenburg, Sweden
22 June Ullevi Stadium, Gothenburg, Sweden
25 June Ernst-Happel-Stadium Sale, Vienna, Austria
28 June San Siro Stadium, Milan, Italy

all but 5 of those shows were sell outs.

Erin go bragh said:

/B]

Um, in 2002 for The Rising tour, and yeah, he always does well in Europe. And unless someone else gives you the numbers before I do, you'll see them in a bit.

Or maybe not. If you didn't know he just was in Europe three years ago, then I am really talking to a Springsteen novice.

Erin go bragh said:
Come now, you didn't really think I was serious about the "riding the coattails" comment, did you? I even deliberately mentioned it was dropped to "stir up shit" (mission accomplished, I guess). If one is to accuse Bruce of riding the coattails of the 9/11 tragedy, then there's a ton of other folks who stand accused of the same.

I was just tryin to ruffle some feathers.

But in response to Bruce selling out Giants Stadium and Shea Stadium, I bet if U2 played Croke or Slane 30 days straight in their hometown, they'd sell out every show as well. It's how they draw far from home that should be looked at.

Or, we can chalk this up as pure non-sense and just move on. :)

LOL, I did spot a severe attempt to stir - hence my ;) ! But hey, I couldn't resist a chance to retaliate.

Well, I went to pretty much all Bruce's shows on the last Euro tour - Sweden actually had higher demand than the NJ shows, many people were shut out for two shows at Ullevi Stadium - not to mention Bruce being front page on the papers for a week, and fans camping out solidly a WEEK in advance.

Sweden aside, all the other shows sold out in a few hours - he didn't do too many multiple stands as he only had 2 months to get all over stadiums in Europe but he filled them all, better than he did in midwest areas of the US even.

I too, have no doubt that U2 could sell out 10 nights at Croke Park - the point being made here is that Bruce isn't as washed up as you seem to think. ;)

phanan said:

Um, in 2002 for The Rising tour, and yeah, he always does well in Europe. And unless someone else gives you the numbers before I do, you'll see them in a bit.

Or maybe not. If you didn't know he just was in Europe three years ago, then I am really talking to a Springsteen novice.

Hey, you like the guy and you know alot about him. Good for you.

Expecting me to know when's the last time Springsteen toured Europe would be like me expecting you to know the last time Slayer toured South America. I happe to not be a big fan of his, so it would stand that I would not know this.

Still doesn't prohibit me from having my own opinions about the guy. He's made some good music, he's made some bad music. One thing is for sure, he hasn't made that big an impact on me.

Besides, how can you all prop up the guy who is responsible for making Courtney Cox-Arquette a celebrity? THE HORRAH!! :laugh:

Erin go bragh said:

probably, but not a gaurantee...

the tremendous numbers springsteen gets in the new york city area are due in large part to the population of the area.

new york city alone has 8 million people living in it... combine that with long island, southern connecticut, westchester/hudson valley and, of course, new jersey... and we're talking over 16 million people in springsteen's main core base.

according to the last census, the entire nation of ireland has a population of 3,969,558.

Bonoforever said:

LOL, I did spot a severe attempt to stir - hence my ;) ! But hey, I couldn't resist a chance to retaliate.

Well, I went to pretty much all Bruce's shows on the last Euro tour - Sweden actually had higher demand than the NJ shows, many people were shut out for two shows at Ullevi Stadium - not to mention Bruce being front page on the papers for a week, and fans camping out solidly a WEEK in advance.

Sweden aside, all the other shows sold out in a few hours - he didn't do too many multiple stands as he only had 2 months to get all over stadiums in Europe but he filled them all, better than he did in midwest areas of the US even.

I too, have no doubt that U2 could sell out 10 nights at Croke Park - the point being made here is that Bruce isn't as washed up as you seem to think. ;)

Hey no doubt about it, he's got a lot of fans. He just doesn't do it for me, hence he's "tired" in my opinion. I won't write him off completely. There's been other artists out there whom I thought had provided the best of their stuff, only to come back strong later on. As I stated before, he's a good artist and a good songwriter, just nothing that I get excited about.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

sssslow down... alan jackson wrode the coattails of 9/11. bruce springsteen is FROM the area. 3/4s of his songs are about either jersey or new york city. why would he not write about 9/11? and it's not like the songs are obvious... empty sky, into the fire... yes... they are about 9/11. but they never once mention the trade center... one could interpet them differently if they chose to. it's not like he put together some cheesy country diddy like jackson did and made a profit from it.

and FYI... durring the Reunion tour of 1999-2000... well before 9/11... Bruce & the E Street played 15 consecutive sold out concerts at Continental Airlines Arena and 10 consecutive sold out shows at Madison Square Garden.

Who's coat tails was he riding then?

Bleeding heart liberals? :lmao:

Ok, I've done a little more thinking on this, and here's the deal.

To try and say who has more staying power, U2 or Springsteen, is a tough, tough argument in either direction.

I am not a huge Boss fan (no kidding??), so my observations are limited. One thing I do observe, at least in the amount of observing I do with Springsteen, is what I will call "new fan" base. I don't know of too many 18-25 year olds who are joining the Boss fan base. I do see a TON of younger U2 fans each year, rocord and tour. I think ultimately, this will provide U2 with more staying power in that, over time, those young fans will become older, and Bruce's older fans will become, well, dead.

Now again, this is just based on my observations. So, all of those in this thread who are solid Bruce supporters, and know their Bruce facts, maybe your observations are different. Maybe you see many young fans joining The Boss' fan base. I'd like to hear your comments about that.

Erin go bragh said:

Besides, how can you all prop up the guy who is responsible for making Courtney Cox-Arquette a celebrity? THE HORRAH!! :laugh:

LOL... didn't Bono duet with Britney amongst others on 'What's Going On' - now thats something to be embarrassed about. ;)

It's been said before... it's cool to dislike Springsteen, hells there are many artists who I rip on - but unless you get your facts right before posting that Bruce can hardly sell out a theater you gotta be able to take the heat. :p

Erin go bragh said:

To try and say who has more staying power, U2 or Springsteen, is a tough, tough argument in either direction.

It's not just a tough argument, it's a dumb one, frankly. They are both huge artists who have profoundly made their mark in music history forever, they both have had long, incredible careers, continue to sell out arenas, put out great records, have loyal fanbases, musical and personal integrity, and mutual admiration for each other. Why must they even be compared or pitted against each other in such a ridiculous argument?

Erin go bragh said:

I am not a huge Boss fan (no kidding??), so my observations are limited. One thing I do observe, at least in the amount of observing I do with Springsteen, is what I will call "new fan" base. I don't know of too many 18-25 year olds who are joining the Boss fan base. I do see a TON of younger U2 fans each year, rocord and tour. I think ultimately, this will provide U2 with more staying power in that, over time, those young fans will become older, and Bruce's older fans will become, well, dead.

Now again, this is just based on my observations. So, all of those in this thread who are solid Bruce supporters, and know their Bruce facts, maybe your observations are different. Maybe you see many young fans joining The Boss' fan base. I'd like to hear your comments about that.

congrats... you've finally made an arguement in this thread which makes sense :up: :wink:

Springsteen appeared on-stage at a U2 show at least once, Joshua Tree show at JFK stadium in Philly. Dueted on "Stand by Me". That's the only one I'm aware of and I'm only aware of it because it's documented as a bootleg. Since then, a similar appearance at the Meadowlands has been rumored to happen or to have happened for as long as I can remember.

Bonoforever said:

LOL... didn't Bono duet with Britney amongst others on 'What's Going On' - now thats something to be embarrassed about. ;)

It's been said before... it's cool to dislike Springsteen, hells there are many artists who I rip on - but unless you get your facts right before posting that Bruce can hardly sell out a theater you gotta be able to take the heat. :p

Oh I think I've more than shown I can take the heat! And I have no doubts that Bruce could sell out theaters. I simply questioned the fact we was playing theaters, and was given good reasons why that is the case.

And the What's Going On recording was for charity, so that doesn't count! :p

Erin go bragh said:

Speaking as someone in the 18-25 age group, I was even surprised to see how many kids across Europe were at the 2003 Springsteen shows, it was often mostly 20 - 35 year olds up on the pitch, all the oldies at the back. The US has a slightly older crowd, but there are still a lot of kids, about 30% which is a tonne considering Bruce has never done anything to appeal to the younger masses, unlike U2 who have completely adapted musically in order to hook a younger fanbase. Besides, U2 are not considered a young person's band in Europe, only the US.

Considering U2 started nearly 10 years after Bruce did, and he's turning 56 this year I'm sure he's not worried about his fans dying before he does. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom