U2 and knowing your market

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ronan2standstil

The Fly
As well as brilliant musicians, I have always thought U2 are great businessmen, from Clayton's savvy early promotion of the band, to Bono's ability to judge the public/audience mood in America to perfection, to Mullen rectifying the PR disaster of the presale 9to an extent) by emailing u2.com members.

As well as releasing different singles in different locations, U2 are increasingly likely to tailor their setlist to an audience, and their spiel. So we get:

-Dedications to the US military in, well, the US (does anyone seriously think Bono will do this in Britain or God forbid, France?)
-Thanks the long-term fans in the US
-Thanks the Spanish fans for their support for the "Pop" album and tour
-More audience banter (on Elevation at least) in Ireland and Britain

I really appreciate the way U2, unlike so many other entertainers, actually understand that there will be a different audience and a different culture in different locations. Obvioulsy I know there will be people flying in to gigs, but that makes it more interesting for them, too doesn't it?
Thoughts?

I'll never forget during Elevation when Bono, attempting to warm up to the Cleveland crowd, joked "I know, I know, Baltimore stole the Bears and you stole 'em back."

Oops.

(for those of you who don't follow American sports, the Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens--the Bears play in Chicago).

But no, you're right, they're very savvy marketers. They do f--- up, though. Larry's apology was a nice gesture, but that whole deal was a complete p.r. disaster that should never have happened.

What's interesting to me is how they decide what towns to play in. . .at least in America there are so many choices in the "heartland" and they seem to gauge pretty well where to go and how often.

I like how they acknkowledge and care about where they are playing during the show, rather than flying through the concert not caring where they are!!

:eyebrow: make sense???lol

Yup....Bono made mention of Mutumbo at the Philly May 22nd show and talked about Mutumbo's contributions to Africa. Bono even made mention of the fact that he (Bono) realizes that Mutumbo doesn't play for the 76'ers anymore.

Back
Top Bottom