Tour standards you want to see retired

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTBS
It's been played every tour since 87.

And WOWY just isn't the same live as compared to studio version.

I think some of the older songs would be great on this tour.

11 O'clock
Electric Co.
Fly
Exit
UF

Open up the catalogue, Boys!

Sorry, no, do not agree with the list, for us older fans we love to hear those older tracks, some are the songs that got us into U2 in the first place! If you only come on board in the last couple of years then spare a thought to some us that have been fans for over 20 years!

what a bomb! said:
Sorry, no, do not agree with the list, for us older fans we love to hear those older tracks, some are the songs that got us into U2 in the first place! If you only come on board in the last couple of years then spare a thought to some us that have been fans for over 20 years!

That's pretty much like saying "older fans have better taste"

Beautiful Day got me into U2 but The Unforgettable Fire is a much better song. I'm pretty sure some older fans might have grown a bit tired by Where The Streets Have No Name.
We're all U2 fans here, we all love U2, but I really want to experience The Fly and Until The End Of The World live. Those were some of the latest songs I heard when becoming a fan, but I think they're the best, hands down. And I'd be really disappointed if Where The Streets have No Name or Pride took their place.
I just think your post was a little arrogant, that's all.

I think One could be given a rest. Great song, and I'd want to see it return eventually, but it has been played every show for the past 3 tours.

what a bomb! said:

Yeah, that would be me also.

I've seen Follow played live about 60 times, SBS about 50, etc. I want something else! (Wire, 2 hearts, etc)

There are a number of songs I'd be comfortable with the band finally just casting aside on the compost heap of curdled inspiration (in no particular order):

1. "Pride"
2. "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
3. "With or Without You"
4. "Bullet the Blue Sky"
5. "I Will Follow"
6. "Where the Streets Have No Name" (I love this song, yes, and it's one of my favorite live U2 tracks....but--please don't kill me!!!--I just WAS NOT FEELING IT on the last tour; it felt old, tired, and uninspired, when I saw the band...and I saw them five times; I guess that it is still a very solid tune and that it's enjoyable enough, but it's just not what it once WAS....I'd rather not hear a weakER version of the song and just remember how much grander it used to be)
7. "Walk On"--NEVER AGAIN
8. The pain-in-the-ass, wince-inducing introductions to "One"--the song can say, but someone shut his dumb ass up...!
9. "New Year's Day" (another great song, but it's just overstayed its welcome)

Last edited:
Nooo, they can't take out Streets... I thought it was pretty good during the Elevation tour actually. I just can't imagine seeing a show without it. I agree with a lot of the other suggestions, but they have gotta keep Streets in :)

Get rid of:
1) Pride (I have never liked the live version and it hasn't gotten any better with time)
and in no particular order: I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday and With or Without You

Keep:
New Years Day (they still manage to pull this one off well)

Last edited:
This is a very interesting discussion!!

First of all:
Bullet The Blue Sky - has been a show stopper most of the times i've seen U2. People just stop jumping when it comes on. And sometimes it doesn't take more than one show stopper to change the athmosphere at a concert.
But it certainly worked well during Zootv.
Skip it!

Pride - Couldn't agree more with pub crawler. It always reminds me of the perfect version on the Rattle and Hum video. Now that's a live version that kicks ass. Dunno why they cannot find the groove anymore with this song.

One remark:
I was so lucky to hear Out of Control in Germany on the last tour. I mean, how many of the 15.000 attendees actually know that song? I'm not gonna guess, but the point is that it ROCKED!! People were totally into it.

U2 needs to take more chances like this, because the audience will respond in a positive way.

We need Exit, Who's gonna ride, Unforgettable Fire, and almost anything from war, except SBS.

As an older fan, I have no problem saying they should get rid of some of the older songs. SBS and Pride have been played to death. IWF is hit or miss at any given show and can be replaced by other songs from Boy (I'd love to hear Twilight, Electric Co or A Day Without Me). I could do without NYD. I love BTBS live, but they've played it so much that it could use a rest this time around. Same with Mysterious Ways. I doubt they'd ever remove Streets from the set, because it's usually the high energy point of every show, just as One is usually the "lighter" moment of every show.

One song from each album I'd love to hear live:

Electric Co
Tomorrow
Drowning Man
The Unforgettable Fire
Exit
God Pt II
Acrobat
Zooropa
Please
When I Look at the World

I think the key is variety. In a 20-22 song set, with let's say, 6 new songs and 10 "standards", they can still play around with 4-6 slots with some deeper selections from their catalog. Plus, they have so many standards at this point, they can rotate them from show to show.

As one of the many who sees them multiple times per tour, it would be nice to see a varied setlist from night to night. But since there are many who only see them once per tour, they have to play to keep them happy too, which means plenty of standards and hits. This is why they should just make everyone happy and play 4 hour, 40 songs sets. :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom