Tour schedule a big let down!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salim117

The Fly
I live in Miami so you must understand that I'm a little spoiled after the last tour. I got to see them open the tour (It was great going in not knowing what to expect) and I got to see them close when they had it down pat. 3 shows all together and 0 so far this tour! Less shows on these two legs of the tour than any other in the past.Thats assuming that they'll do just 3 legs. So I guess I'll get just one show on the last leg for me though I'm hoping for a big, 60 show NA 3rd leg 3 with 2 Miami shows.

· Vertigo Tour 2nd leg: Europe (24 shows)
· Vertigo Tour 1st leg: North America (16 shows)
· HTDAAB Promo Tour (8 shows)
· Elevation Tour 3rd leg: North America (30 shows)
· Elevation Tour 2nd leg: Europe (33 shows)
· Elevation Tour 1st leg: North America (50 shows)

This is the complete list of all the # of shows from past tours:

· Vertigo Tour 3rd leg (? shows)
· Vertigo Tour 2nd leg: Europe (24 shows)
· Vertigo Tour 1st leg: North America (16 shows)
· HTDAAB Promo Tour (8 shows)
· Elevation Tour 3rd leg: North America (30 shows)
· Elevation Tour 2nd leg: Europe (33 shows)
· Elevation Tour 1st leg: North America (50 shows)
· ATYCLB Promo Tour (20 shows)
· POPMART 4th leg: Rest of The World (15 shows)
· POPMART 3rd leg: North America (17 shows)
· POPMART 2nd leg: Europe (32 shows)
· POPMART 1st leg: North America (31 shows)
· Zooropa 2nd leg: Rest Of The World (12 shows)
· Zooropa 1st leg: Europe (44 shows)
· Zoo TV 3nd leg: Outside Broadcast(North America) (48 shows)
· Zoo TV 2nd leg: Europe (25 shows)
· Zoo TV 1st leg: North America (33 shows)
· Love Town Tour 5th leg: Europe (14 shows)
· Love Town Tour 4th leg: Japan (6 shows)
· Love Town Tour 3rd leg: Australia (3 shows)
· Love Town Tour 2nd leg: New Zealand (4 shows)
· Love Town Tour 1st leg: Australia (20 shows)
· The Joshua Tree 3rd leg: North America (58 shows)
· The Joshua Tree 2nd leg: Europe (31 shows)
· The Joshua Tree 1st leg: North America (31 shows)
· Conspirancy Of Hope (12 shows)
· The Unforgettable Fire 7th leg: European Summer Festivals (10 shows)
· The Unforgettable Fire 6th leg: North America (42 shows)
· The Unforgettable Fire 5th leg: Europe (13 shows)
· The Unforgettable Fire 4th leg: North America (12 shows)
· The Unforgettable Fire 3rd leg: Europe (21 shows)
· The Unforgettable Fire 2nd leg: Australia (15 shows)
· The Unforgettable Fire 1st leg: New Zealand (4 shows)
· War 4th leg: Japan (6 shows)
· War 3rd leg: European Summer Festivals (7 shows)
· War 2nd leg: North America (53 shows)
· War 1st leg: Europe (34 shows)
· War: Pre-Tour (21 shows)
· October 5th leg: European Summer Festivals (9 shows)
· October 4th leg: North America (34 shows)
· October 3rd leg: Europe (6 shows)
· October 2nd leg: North America (23 shows)
· October 1st leg: Europe (34 shows)
· Boy 5th leg: European Summer Festivals (4 shows)
· Boy 4th leg: North America (63 shows)
· Boy 3rd leg: Europe (29 shows)
· Boy 2nd leg: North America (9 shows)
· Boy 1st leg: Europe (57 shows)

Last edited:
Perhaps the family illness messed up the tour scheduling and this is all they could fit in. I know that another itinerary was issued in late 2004 and had 30 U.S. dates. I assume that the delay screwed up the whole schedule and they had to compromise a bit here. Cut the boys some slack.

Perhaps the second leg will be a lot longer as they will have to play the cancelled shows from March.

Perhaps US residents could think of thousands of people that will not even have a chance of seeing the band, much less get two legs.

U2girl said:
Perhaps the second leg will be a lot longer as they will have to play the cancelled shows from March.

Perhaps US residents could think of thousands of people that will not even have a chance of seeing the band, much less get two legs.

You're right. Sorry.

Salim, you're totalling the shows prematurely and not taking into account the additional nights that are going to be added to the first leg. That will take the total up to around 30 shows on the first leg, when you factor in second nights in most, if not all of the announced cities, with Chicago and Boston getting 3rd and possibly 4th shows.

Europe will go to about 30 shows also, as second nights are planned in some cities inclduing Dublin and London.

According to Billboard, the third leg will be 30 shows and the tour total will be about 110 shows, down from the 115 originally mentioned. So between the 2 N American legs and Europe, it should get to 90-95 shows, with another 15 or so for Australia and Japan and perhaps even S America early in 2006, if what Bono stated that they would like to play there in 2006, actually happens.

I doubt very highly U2 goes on the road at all for freakin 16 dates in the US. You think they are going to drag themselves around the world for that little?

C'mon...there ARE MANY MORE SHOWS to come.

It's standard procedure in the concert industry to announce only 1 show even when a second show is being planned. When the first show sells out, they add the second show. This is a safer way of doing things, because if the first show does not sell out, the act is not playing to 2 half filled arenas.

All you have to do is look at the gaps between cities to see that second dates are possible in every city announced. In the case of Chicago, Boston and East Rutherford, by announcing 2 dates, it means they intend to increase those to 3 or 4 shows each, once the first 2 sell out. Mark my words, most, if not every city on the first leg will have added dates.

Occasionally, promoters under or overestimate markets. In 1997 for Popmart, Philadelphia sold out and a second night was added. Ticket sales for it were very sluggish, so the show was cancelled and U2 saved face by playing at the Tibetan Freedom concert in New York on the same day. They were publicly able to state their desire to perform at this charity concert as the reason for the cancellation, instead of admitting they had overestimated the market.

jeesus people in the U.S. always seem to have a good moan about "oh no why only 3 shows at the garden" try living in the UK, when we are lucky to even get 5 shows altogether

Halup is the first voice of reason, that I've seen. Yes, guaranteed that at least 5 to 10 more shows will be added.

I'm just having a problem with those who are grumbling about not getting a show in their area. Please, we all know that U2 will play your market. It may not be until the late Summer/Fall, but they will.

Also, I need to find more info, but I'm sure Principle Management will get out presale codes to all U2.com Members for the 2nd leg. You can't trust the hacks on the Fanfire Help Line, because they don't make the rules and sometimes don't know them.

We all need to chill.

i understand that, but nowhere near the amount they will play in the U.S. they just miss like70% of the UK

KUEFC09U2 said:
i understand that, but nowhere near the amount they will play in the U.S. they just miss like70% of the UK

Actually, based on current dates and populations they will play more shows per capita in the UK than the US.

There are entire States in the US where U2 have never played.

From Liverpool in the UK you're only a few hours drive away from any show, huge chunks of the US population are long flights way from any show.

never thought of it like that, and your correct of course, but am thinking of the likes of scotland, or newcastle,

Cardosino,

You hit the nail on the head. Most Europeans have no idea the sheer size of North America.

cardosino said:

Actually, based on current dates and populations they will play more shows per capita in the UK than the US.

That may be, but traditionally US has more dates than whole of Europe, Australia and Japan COMBINED.
Surely it - or its sales- is not bigger than ROW played on the tour?

And there seem to be no shows for South America, Asia (apart from Japan) or eastern and southern parts of Europe.

I think we know who is getting the bad end of the deal.

Last edited:
I am so disappointed.
I too live in Fl and after going to rehearsals and opening then swinging up the coast for several shows and a nice closing set of Tampa and Miami I feel robbed.
I really hope the 3rd leg fills up and Edge's crisis is over by then giving the band the ability to do more dates. I am working on Star Wars Weekends at MGM Studios and can't really swing the Northeast dates this time.
I usually make a trip of it and take a friends in DC, NY and Philly to shows. It gives me a place to stay, I see my old pals, take them to shows and make them fans. We all get a good deal.
I have to fly out West for opening night.
I have no other option.
Uggggghhhhh....

theblackcat said:
Cardosino,

You hit the nail on the head. Most Europeans have no idea the sheer size of North America.

I'd just like to point out that this is blatantly untrue. Just because we live in smaller countries doesn't mean we're blind - we can still see the vastness of the USA on a map or in an atlas. It doesn't take a genius to work that out.

Personally, I spent a few years living in the States and, yes, i was amazed at how long it took to get anywhere... but I was a little kid at the time and didn't know much about geography! :)

Last edited:
Denmark got one show so far,, I dont think they will add more shows in Denmark anyway,,, But If i take the car, then the venue in Sweden is like 2 hours away,, :wink: So i have no complans..

Anyway to all the Danes,,, Tickets will go onsale Feb.7th, at 10am. www.billetlugen.dk One weird thing is that we can buy the tickets in Fona,, What the hell is that all about

Europe deserves another tour like the 3 1/2 month Zooropa tour in 1993. It's really unfortunate that the planned 2002 European summer stadium tour did not happen. They really underplayed Europe in 2001 compared to N America.

As for the rest of the world, I know for a fact from a U2 bodyguard that Australia, Japan and South America were originally planned for Elevation, but U2 went the more profitable route and added 2 more weeks in the US from Nov 20-Dec 2, dropping the rest of the world where they had actually lost money the last time they had played them in 1998 (according to Paul MacGuinness' comments on Popmart).

U2girl said:

True. I mean, heck, I think we are a bit spoiled because they've been around for so long, they've been putting out records and such for an unbelievably long period of time. Think about it, the Beatles' entire career was only eight years and they stopped touring after four years. I hope this doesn't offend any Beatles fans but we're lucky by comparison to their fans--I'm a Beatles fan, too, incidentally, so I hope that stuff is understood. And nbcrusader has a point about Bono's voice, he had some problems with it on the Elevation tour. This is sort of a crazy time, there are alot of emotions going on, and it's hard for me because I'm sick as hell with shingles, which is a stress-induced illness and as my mother would say, I just can't let myself get too excited, meaning too stressed about this or anything else in life.

Okay guys. I think it's time to chill out now. It's just the first leg. I admit, I too BAWLED when I thought they weren't hitting Detroit, but guess what: THEY ARE! I think we will all be fufilled on the third leg. U2 promised one, and we'll get one. The roumer is that The edge needs to stay as close to his Miami home as possible so he can take care of his mother who is ill. Let's have some love and sympathy for Edge - the tour is not cancelled, just rearranged to support the Edge. What if his mother dies? THAT'S commitment to the fans, people - continued touring while she is ill. Yes, my friends, patience is a virtue. Stick it through - your codes will work for leg #3, do not fret. :)

Americans complaining about the tour is a bit rich. You'll get your fill like you always do later on... the good thing is that they are actually playing Europe much more. Think about it - how many people live in the US, and how many live in Europe? The last tour in particularly undersold Europe massively.

Oh dear and I thought I had problems! Living in Finland, U2 has only played 2 (count them, all of 2) conerts here during their whole career. And they won't be coming here again on this tour. So it's off to Copenhagen this time round. The journeys here may seem short comparable to those in the states but at least the U.S. have direct flights from and to and from all their major cities unlike here in Finland and from what I've heard half the price of the air fare costs here in Europe. So as far as I can see the U.S U2 have good!:shame:

distance to shows

mmm well the nearest UK shows to me are a 400 mile round trip to London, about 600 mile round trip to Manchester, or I fly to Glasgow or fly to Dublin. None of them are easy for me to get to- will that stop me- hell no

You have planes, trains and cars in the USA, all of which can be used to travel long distance. It's certainly easier to travel within the USA than for us Europeans to schlep across the Atlantic on a 7 hour odd flight

I see this with other bands the US always ends up with more shows than UK/ Europe- once we've had our shows in June that will be it until 2009 (assuming U2 follow the 4 year cycle again), whereas they'll be back in the States for another 40 odd shows in late summer/autumn, so please no complaints about feeling hard done by.

I'm all in favour of a large scale, year-long Lovetown-esque tour where U2 play everywhere BUT the States. Make up for the neglect we've suffered in times past. No Australian shows in seven years. No New Zealand shows in twelve years. Only two shows ever in Africa. Only seven shows ever in South America. No shows ever in mainland Asia (unless you count the one lone show in Tel Aviv). Insufficient European legs.

I'd love to see that rectified. U2 should go on a REAL world tour.

PrideOfU2 said:
The roumer is that The edge needs to stay as close to his Miami home as possible so he can take care of his mother who is ill. Let's have some love and sympathy for Edge - the tour is not cancelled, just rearranged to support the Edge. What if his mother dies?

I find it really... what? Sad? Annoying? Pathetic?... that a lot of the same people who ROASTED some of us over the coals for offering sympathy a week or so ago during the whole "Edge's daughter is sick" rumor-go-round are now trotting out that same RUMOR to placate those of us that aren't getting shows. Can't have it both ways, people...

C.

Some people could do well to look at the lowest prices in UK and Amsterdam arena and compare them to lowest US prices.

Holland tickets are about 1 third higher than US, and UK about twice higher!

Back
Top Bottom