Tour complaining & Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueyedpoet

Refugee
I've been meaning to write this for awhile now. First off let me just set myself up as a mega, sometimes way too obsessed, kinda U2 fan. For heaven's sake i'm a straight guy and yet i love looking at pictures of U2.
Anyways, having been to 2 1/2 concerts (the LA rehearsal i count as a 1/2, though maybe i shouldn't...full setlist and bono did say it was show number 1) I have to admit that the just little set variation in those three-ish shows was very appreciated and suprising. So i do understand why variation is a nice thing in a tour. And, I can understand why some people complain about the lack of setlist variation. I do, however, feel like it's a bit unfair and here's why:
1) Looking at U2tours.com i see that U2 has never really been known to vary their setlist. Some Joshua Tree tour dates were a little different, and yes Axver Lovetown was odd, but look at UF, War, Zoo TV, Popmart, and Elevation. I mean, jeez Zoo TV had the same setlist for almost the entire first two legs, maybe three...i should've looked.
2) If you're complaining because you "have" to go to like the same show like 4-10 times I hate you because you get to go to more shows than me and you shouldn't ever complain about being able to see the greatest band ever.
3) This tour has been riddled with outside problems. I don't think we've given the band a big enough break. Something is/was seriously wrong with Edge's daughter; the ticketmaster fiasco; and, Bono has had serious back problems. I think the ticketmaster thing has received enough press, but no one really seems to think or talk about how much of an effect edge's daughter and bono's back have had on this tour. The fact that they've toured is amazing enough.
Yes I would shit my pants in glee if they played UV or anything from Pop, but I'm okay with U2's performances. They're still better than any other act I've seen.

blueyedpoet said:
I've been meaning to write this for awhile now. First off let me just set myself up as a mega, sometimes way too obsessed, kinda U2 fan. For heaven's sake i'm a straight guy and yet i love looking at pictures of U2.
Anyways, having been to 2 1/2 concerts (the LA rehearsal i count as a 1/2, though maybe i shouldn't...full setlist and bono did say it was show number 1) I have to admit that the just little set variation in those three-ish shows was very appreciated and suprising. So i do understand why variation is a nice thing in a tour. And, I can understand why some people complain about the lack of setlist variation. I do, however, feel like it's a bit unfair and here's why:
1) Looking at U2tours.com i see that U2 has never really been known to vary their setlist. Some Joshua Tree tour dates were a little different, and yes Axver Lovetown was odd, but look at UF, War, Zoo TV, Popmart, and Elevation. I mean, jeez Zoo TV had the same setlist for almost the entire first two legs, maybe three...i should've looked.
2) If you're complaining because you "have" to go to like the same show like 4-10 times I hate you because you get to go to more shows than me and you shouldn't ever complain about being able to see the greatest band ever.
3) This tour has been riddled with outside problems. I don't think we've given the band a big enough break. Something is/was seriously wrong with Edge's daughter; the ticketmaster fiasco; and, Bono has had serious back problems. I think the ticketmaster thing has received enough press, but no one really seems to think or talk about how much of an effect edge's daughter and bono's back have had on this tour. The fact that they've toured is amazing enough.
Yes I would shit my pants in glee if they played UV or anything from Pop, but I'm okay with U2's performances. They're still better than any other act I've seen.

Wow what a long Babble.:wink:

The funny thing is the same people who complain are the same ones wetting their pants before the show starts if they're in the arena. It's almost like some sort of bipolar disorder.. :wink:

I agree with you.
I will probably never be able to see them live(lack of years and money) and i don't complain about this tour at all. In fact, i love all tours some more some less.
Then i see people saying: "I was to all NY shows and second was a little boring because they didn't play seventh b-side from Boy"
:mad: :mad: :mad:

I will be going to my second U2 show in Chicago on September 20th. My first one was in Chicago on May 9. I cannot understand all the griping people do about the concerts. If they are disappointed, -- stay home! I feel whatever U2 do at the concerts is wonderful.....I'm just so happy to be able to go.

ewings said:
I will be going to my second U2 show in Chicago on September 20th. My first one was in Chicago on May 9. I cannot understand all the griping people do about the concerts. If they are disappointed, -- stay home! I feel whatever U2 do at the concerts is wonderful.....I'm just so happy to be able to go.

AMEN!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, IT'S U2!!!! I'm going to only one show this tour and if they play Follow, Bullet, Pride, NYD, etc ... I don't care!!! IT'S U2, MAN!!!! Shoot, I only get this opportunity to see them play there songs once every 5 years! Even though I've seen them play these songs the previous 3 tours, I'm still going to be mental when I hear them again this December!!!

Finally someone else who appreciates a U2 concert. I was at opening night in Toronto. They played 2hrs 20 minutes and it was fantastic. I'm only able to see one show and I really lucked out. I don't read many posts here because they are to negative. Complainers make me sick.

u2wedge said:
The funny thing is the same people who complain are the same ones wetting their pants before the show starts if they're in the arena. It's almost like some sort of bipolar disorder.. :wink:

Diapers, anyone?

oh, i do visit PLEBA...i like looking at pictures of the guys in U2...though PLEBANS i've noticed refer to them as the boys....i don't know why i like looking at their fashion senses, i just do..."ooh, i should get some pants like that" or, "wow, adam has put on some weight".............i've got problems:|
like i said, i'm sometimes too obsessed

Well in all fairness, here we have a whole subforum dedicated to setlists with a band that chooses mostly to play the same setlist every night. Put the 2 together. What was everybody expecting, a whole subforum full of threads praising U2 for playing the same thing over and over?
That would be stupid and also boring to read. So be glad, at least the constant bitching and diehard defending is what makes the Vertigo setlist subforum interesting. It sure ain't the setlists.
And also some people can't seem to understand that you can be both a setlistbitcher and enjoy the show when it happens. Its the magic of live U2. Its what made us all fans in the first place. Its just that a lot of people think it can even be better.

It cracks me up that some people on here fume night after night over the setlists, but it's harmless. It's not like they're heckling the band at a show.

I went to one show in the spring and will be going to three more on this leg. The one I've seen already had the "standard" setlist, including a few tunes I don't particularly like, and I still had an amazing time. I'm really hoping to hear a few songs I haven't before, especially "Bad," but I won't be disappointed if I don't. I'm thrilled that I'm getting to go.

Bono could sit on the ellipse and read the phone book to the crowd for two hours, and I'd be happy.

Harmless.

Please buy me some:

165816.jpg

I would really like to know how people would think this forum would be if every single person in here was only praising everything U2 do and not a single person was ever criticizing the band in any way. Man, that sounds like something that could be a real thrill. Like living in a dictatorship! Criticize our great leaders and get executed!

- And what would all the constantly defending people be doing? :hmm:

Last edited:
Muad'zin said:

And also some people can't seem to understand that you can be both a setlistbitcher and enjoy the show when it happens. Its the magic of live U2. Its what made us all fans in the first place. Its just that a lot of people think it can even be better.

This is a good point -- let's remember that there is always a range of behavior; and most of us enjoy the band and shows a lot regardless of the set list.

Chronic Setlist Bitcher -- "U2 should be a jam band and mix up the show every freaking night" IMO, these people are a bit out of touch with the reality of concerts, lighting and production in todays packaged world.

Frequent Setlist Bitcher - Characterized by frequent setlist posts that are more negative than positive.

Occasional Setlist Bitcher - "Man, I get tired of NYD, Pride, Bullet, but the show was great and I still had fun" -- These people have likely seen multimple shows over the years and would like more variety in the mix to improve the shows experience.

Once In Awhile Setlist Comment - "U2 should play X instead of Y - but last night was awesome" Most comonly these people would prefer to hear a new song from Bomb or one of their favorites from previous albums instead of a song that is currently "standard" on the Vertigo Tour -- IMO, this barely qualifies as bitching or compaining - it's not chronic, and usually refers to minimal variation in the set list.

Just a hunch, but most of what we read out here usually falls into the Occasional Bitching or Commenting -- only a handful of folks are chronic.

Back
Top Bottom