Too good to be true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sami0201

Blue Crack Addict
I have an offer to buy tickets for the 5/21 MSG show at face value...but I have heard there are scams going on so I'm worried. It seems too good to be true. The guy said we could meet in person, but how can I tell if the tickets are fake? anyone know? Can you tell me if you have section 427, row F, seats 14 and 15? If someone has these I'll know they are fake. Any advice would be appreciated!

Well if you want to know their real. Go ahead and send them to me after you buy them and I'll let you know if I got into the arena with them.

Most people are trustworthy. If he wants to meet in person, then I'd say it's okay (as long as you meet in a public place). I've bought tickets from other fans a few times and have had really good experiences.

OffAxis said:
Well if you want to know their real. Go ahead and send them to me after you buy them and I'll let you know if I got into the arena with them.

lol...nice one.

I'm only 15 so obviously I can't drive and I wouldn't go alone-but my dad won't go with me because he says "if they are too good to be true they probably are". I know sometimes I trust people too much but he could just be a good guy wanting to sell them to a fan! My dad says who in their right mind would sell them for that cheap-maybe a good person! I think the fact that he isn't asking me to just mail him money means they are probably real. If he was scamming me I don't think he would want to meet in person. I just don't know how to tell when I see them. I guess there is no way until the show night to know?

I know if you drop a bit of water onto the ticket and the ink smears, that means it's a fake. If it doesn't smear, it's real.

Also, you should be able to tear it slightly and if there's blue threadding behind the tear, it's real.

Good luck!

thanks Edgette, but I just thought of something: I don't think he will let me drop water on it or tear the ticket before I buy it! lol. I guess if they are real he shouldn't be worried though.

as long as they're not premium seats, like GA or lower level seats, i'd think it's realistic that he's willing to sell at face value. maybe he just wants to get rid of them because he can't go. if he's willing to meet in person then that sounds legit. usually it's a scam if they have you send money through western union.

Ok, now I have to get my dad to meet him! I wouldn't be so worried but I have to travel from Florida to the show, and if they were fake that would suck!! My family lives there so the trip wouldn't be a complete waste, but still.

I asked my box office and they had advised if I brought them in, they would verify them for me ahead of time. So no night of show surprises... So do the exchange at MSG or any ticketmaster box office. I got a MSG show at face value off of Ebay. I asked for their receipt from ticketmaster. They can void out the CC info... but at least you know they actually bought them.

sami0201 said:
I have an offer to buy tickets for the 5/21 MSG show at face value...but I have heard there are scams going on so I'm worried. It seems too good to be true. The guy said we could meet in person, but how can I tell if the tickets are fake? anyone know? Can you tell me if you have section 427, row F, seats 14 and 15? If someone has these I'll know they are fake. Any advice would be appreciated!

I sold a bunch of tickets at face value, people even sell them for less than face as it gets closer to the shows - especially nosebleeds that aren't in demand. If they're physical tickets and he's going to meet you, why would he be scamming you? I think you're fine.

Ask for the ticketmaster confirmation that's what I did! And make sure they are not ticketfast!

sami0201 said:

Ask them to produce the proof of purchase/receipt. If they don't have one, you should write up a small guarantee (print 2) and when you meet the seller, get their name (spell it out and write in the ticket specs) and have them sign it. Give him/her one copy and keep one for yourself. There's little way to guarantee that the tix are real without a receipt or ticketmaster, but this practice may discourage them from selling you a fake ticket because once you have their name and their signature guaranteeing authenticity, you have legal recourse.

Jon

Last edited:
If they are in your hands - check:

--Quality of paper (try to hold a real one side by side)
--quality of perforation
--quality of printing
--quality of barcode - since all tickets are scanned now, the barcode has to be legit...

Heres another method:

You can give them the cigarette burn test, which is basically you touch the lit end of a cig to the ticket, and a) it doesn't burn all the way through b) leaves a purplish mark on the tix. This, however, is not a failsafe method either, as all it confirms is that the tix were printed on thermal paper, and are most likely TicketMaster stock.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/People/mleone/gdead/faq/fake-tickets.html

JohnCash said:
Ask him if you can cut the ticket in half. If he is the real father of the ticket he won't allow it. If he is a con artist he'll say go ahead.

:lol:

Make sure the zero's on the tickets have the slash through it. If it doesn't, it's a fake! (at least for the MSG ones)

Back
Top Bottom