Timeline of U2.com Membership / Tour Announcements -were we duped?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mofo82

Refugee
Everyone who thinks that fans are reading meaning into our privleges as members, read this and then tell me that people weren't somewhat deceived. Laura Page, a columnist at 'atu2.com' made a timeline of the announcements and emails sent about the tour. It started as 'Priority Booking', which seems like a guaranteed ticket order, and ended up a 'Presale'. Definitely read this, everybody.

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3738

Last edited:
huh.

that puts things in perspective to me.

my verdict:
everyone involved putting this tour together sucks.

This is very damning evidence. Seems clear to me we were duped by management, and/or U2.com.

Lovely bit of research she did - I should know, it's what I do for a living LOL.

I imagine lots of copying and pasting is being done, for inclusion in letters to peoples' attorneys right about now.

Oh dear.

:(

I just called the Illinois Attorney General's Office (Lisa Madigan) and the woman I spoke to said to get as many people together who have complaints about the entire situation- U2.com, Ticketmaster, Fanfire, ClearChannel, the brokers who have the tickets first- the whole thing, and call their office for the correct forms to send in. WE ALL HAVE TO DO THIS TO GET ATTENTION. Please spread the word. I called and they are mailing me the correct forms to send in. You have to contact the Attorney General's Office of your home state. As I said already, I sent in my complaint to the Better Business Bureau against Fanfire- www.bbb.org.

Here's the Illinois Attorney General's hotline numbers:
Chicago: (800) 386-5438
Springfield: (800) 243-0618
Carbondale: (800) 243-0607

Again, find your state's Attorney General info and
call and request for the correct forms to file a complaint

Here's another article that really says how wrong this whole situation is. A ClearChannel rep paints the whole picture of how involved a comapny, such as U2 is, is in selecting the number of tickets for its own use, i.e. fanclub distribution. There's alot of under the table shit too going on with brokers and bribes. CHECK IT OUT. LET'S GET SOME ATTENTION ON THIS.

http://u2log.com/archive/2005/01/no...ys_promoter.php

add to it the fact that us Prop members were led in every way possible to believe it was the new Prop so we would join.

The back peddling on the U2.con announcements, and the disdain, arrogance, and total disregard of the fans, to me anyway, shows that U2 has nothing to do with those announcements, it's nothing like the guys at all. They need to fire whoever created this boondoggle, apologies from them to all of us who love them, and put someone in charge who can put out the fires and make it right. Whoever this is that's doing those rude pronouncements, the part especially about all the satisfied customers is hilarious, needs to fired.

Unfortuantely, most of the logic in Laura's article rests on "reading context" into u2.com's communications. When they say "guaranteed priority booking" you could interpret that literally to mean "we guarantee that priority booking will occur." Which it did, just not as much as we had hoped. You can't build the case based on expectations generated from prior experience with Propaganda, even if u2.com is unfairly leveraging those expectations to sell memberships.

To me, the most damning - and class actionable - statement is this:

"You will be able to buy two tickets for any indoor U2 show."

There were, I believe, 9 shows that went on sale (the ones that were added in the minutes after the general sale began, in Boston, Chicago, LA, etc...) that we were NOT able to buy tickets for. This stands in direct contradiction to the quote above, that we could buy tickets for ANY show. These two facts are incontrovertible, and could form the basis of any action we fans might bring.

This is such a load of crap. There is no excuse for U2 on this entire situation. What is really pissing me off is that the band hasn't said nothing about the situation.

i agree lets not let htis die or this thread die, as a fellow christian bono needs to be held accountable, there IS NO REASON TO ONLY ALLOW A FEWW HUNDRED SEATS FOR EACH VENUE. I could see if it was a free membership, but this is ridiculous. If they cared about their fans AND They paid for membership, they should have gotten as many as they needed within reason. whats the fear having only diehard u2 fans at their shows, hypocrites.......... i got friggin nosebleeds at 10:06 c'mon on a presale this is a joke

BOYO3221 said:
i agree lets not let htis die or this thread die, as a fellow christian bono needs to be held accountable, there IS NO REASON TO ONLY ALLOW A FEWW HUNDRED SEATS FOR EACH VENUE. I could see if it was a free membership, but this is ridiculous. If they cared about their fans AND They paid for membership, they should have gotten as many as they needed within reason. whats the fear having only diehard u2 fans at their shows, hypocrites.......... i got friggin nosebleeds at 10:06 c'mon on a presale this is a joke

I'm genuinely somewhat confused. What has Bono being Christian got to do with anything? If he was a Buddhist, Moslem or Jedi, would it make any difference to how the organisations U2 employ as ticket distributors work????

sallycinnamon78 said:
If he was a Buddhist, Moslem or Jedi, would it make any difference

LMAO :lol:

Just trying to imagine how Bono would look in one of those Obi-Wan type robes. Would be an interesting look for the tour tho' wouldn't it?

"Use the Farce..er Force"

stevec said:

LMAO :lol:

Just trying to imagine how Bono would look in one of those Obi-Wan type robes. Would be an interesting look for the tour tho' wouldn't it?

"Use the Farce..er Force"

That'd be cool. I wonder if Jedi wear pants under those robes??? The GA people would have to let us know, in Bono's case.
Definitely a case of :sexywink : :sexywink:

!

Last edited:
I'd offer to look for you at Hampden, but his security would probably have a thing to three to say about it. Who knows, he might even don a kilt and REALLY freak out the front row!!

I did a song at my friend's wedding wearing a kilt and was EXTREMELY self-conscious about being on a stage!!!

:der: :eek:

Last edited:
Since they are offering a full refund I am not all that mad anymore. I and all of you can get your $40 back. They know they messed up.

stevec said:
I'd offer to look for you at Hampden, but his security would probably have a thing to three to say about it. Who knows, he might even don a kilt and REALLY freak out the front row!!

I did a song at my friend's wedding wearing a kilt and was EXTREMELY self-conscious about being on a stage!!!

:der: :eek:

Mmmm kilts....:drool:

hijack???

back on topic, i'm glad to see that refunds are in the works, but that doesn't take away the frustration of all who tried hard to get what they thought was promised. Should be interesting to see who the refunds are offered to. I will still send in my complaint to the state's Attorney General, because still way too many tickets ended up in scaplers hands in the first place. Many of us seriously may have had tickets already. We shouldn't just roll over and die on this.

Last edited:
... The scalpers are making more from this than U2... I just checkeda few prices on Ebay, cheaptickets, etc and I saw some at MSG in section 100 near the stage going for $2300 US per!!! I know... maybe no one will pay that much, but if they do.... :censored:

I saw them in Oct 2001 at MSG... lucked into tickets in the lower bowl two days before the show. I figured I could score at least nose bleeds for this one... :banghead: ... I'm so depressed...

I don't think anyone is rolling over and dying. I think with A) the passage of time, B) the fact that the general sale happened, and C) the fact that the band/PM/TM/FanFire seems to be working hard to mollify most of the frustrated fans' needs, it seems that things are improving.

I know I was frustrated last week, but time heals all wounds. Hopefully the media attention we were able to generate about this problem will keep the ball rolling.

U2 is doing the right thing. Now I'm just looking forward to a good show.

Back
Top Bottom