Time to Retire Bullet The Blue Sky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
starvinmarvin said:
Exactly my point, timothius. The band relies on props - i.e. the spotlight - because the song itself just ain't that great.

I also agree that the balance is out of whack in the setlist. The show starts off great but really really sags in the middle because the band plays too many new songs/ stale songs all in a row. Part of what makes a great show is the pacing, and that just isn't happening on this tour.

Also, I love the Boy album dearly, but songs like An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart just aren't meant for arenas. Smaller venues, certainly, but not a arenas.

Personally I feel pretty disappointed by the setlist. If the band is going to play a lot of unfamiliar tunes, they need to make up for it by extending the show by at least 3 more songs.

J'adore Bullet. :love: Always. Don't care if others hate it or are sick of it live or whatever. (Also would like to point out that Marik and korczykp saw the same shows I did and they agree that Bullet is "vital" to the set. :wink: )

And as for An Cat Dubh or other Boy songs not working in an arena... certainly you are kidding me. They sound amazing! When else would I see Bono crawl by me like a bloody cat? And even out of GA, from the stands, it was clear to me that people who didn't recognize the songs were getting into them mid-way.

The only song that needs to get dropped is Beautiful Day. While everyone recognizes it, it doesn't fit live for me. You can't really go crazy to it, but it's not slow enough to take a break to, it always brings me down a notch. :shrug:

Keep on playing this song because it is the best metophor for the stupidity of American foreign policy that has ever been put to music.

If BTBS is used in the chicago DVD, then it will be the SIXTH time it's released on live video.

R&H
Sydney
Popmart
Boston
Slane
Chicago

7th, if the Bonus DVD boxset is announced. For these reasons alone the songs should get the kick or put into rotation.

u2FP

RA-D said:
NO.....To title of this thread.

This is one of THE live songs that I want to hear and never have before.

They are never going to do a setlist that will appeal to everybody, you have to live with it. Personally, I'd do away with Mysterious Ways but then, it's not my choice and I'm fine with its inclusion.

I don't agree. If you've never seen BTBS before at a live show, it's not for lack of opportunity. The song has been played literally thousnads of times live on numerous tours. Your argument may hold merit in the case of songs like Where The Streets or Sunday Bloody Sunday, but BTBS isn't fit to lick the boots of the "real" U2 classics. It's a song that displays all of the band's weaknesses - i.e. pomposity, preachiness, inability to convincingly play hard rock.

Sorry if you're tired of this topic, "Mr. 14,319 Posts," but unlike you, I don't devote my life to this bulletin board. As such, I wasn't aware such similar threads existed.

14,319 posts. Since August 2004....is that even mathematically possible? Are you a machine that autimatically spits out posts? Wow.

All I'm trying to say is, if you don't like the topic, then start another thread that interests you. The fact that similar threads exist would seem to indicate there is some support for the idea that BTBS is old and stale.

Yahweh said:
Keep on playing this song because it is the best metophor for the stupidity of American foreign policy that has ever been put to music.

I love these grand sweeping statements from Canada. Define what is it that you would like American foreign policy to be exactly? What are your foreign policy answers for what is happening in the world? How would you deal with North Korea for example?

I don't think that every decision that the U.S. government has made is brilliant by any measure and we are not always in the right but I wouldn't call our foreign policy stupid. We're all dealing with a pretty difficult set of cards at the moment. But historically the "stupidity" of our American foreign policy is why we're all writing this in English now and not German. And it was the U.S. foreign policy that helped put an end to the cold war. And our foreign policy is why women can now speak their minds in Afghanistan.

Why don't we all just step aside and watch Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin lead us all in foreign policy... or is he too busy breaking Canada's promise to increase foreign aid at the moment?

Yahweh said:

have you been a sleep for the last twenty years?
We won the cold war - thanks to Reagan/Thatcher's policies.
THis is the same crap people were spewing back then -
America is going to get us all killed, blah, blah, blah....
it is obvious who was on the wrong side of history.
maybe you are not greatful, but there are an awful lot of people
who were imprisioned in eatern europe who are.
and whatever bug you have up your arse about american
foriegn policy - i suspect time will likely place you on the
wrong side of history again, let's wait and see.

earlier in this thread someone made the observaration
that BTBS was the bands way of flipping the bird to the us/us policy. i did'nt give it much thought, but your post proves
the point.

starvinmarvin said:
Sorry if you're tired of this topic, "Mr. 14,319 Posts," but unlike you, I don't devote my life to this bulletin board. As such, I wasn't aware such similar threads existed.

14,319 posts. Since August 2004....is that even mathematically possible? Are you a machine that autimatically spits out posts? Wow.
1. personal attacks such as this are not okay. whether you've got 14,319 posts or 0, you really ought to read the faqs.

2. this isn't so much as a rule but just as a heads up sort of thing...it is wise to check back a couple pages before making a thread. again, this isn't a rule, just one of those "if you want to avoid getting yelled at by people" kind of things. :wave:

BTBS is a classic u2 live song. that being said, it is getting old after playing it 1,324 shows straight. It does need a break, but I dont think it should be completely dropped.

Played every other night would be perfect for me.

I love these grand sweeping statements from Canada.

>> These are not grand sweeping statements from Canada. They are the opinion of one Canadian, who does not represent 30 million.

I don't think that every decision that the U.S. government has made is brilliant by any measure and we are not always in the right but I wouldn't call our foreign policy stupid. We're all dealing with a pretty difficult set of cards at the moment.

>> Agreed. I wouldn't call your foreign policy stupid, because its too complex and complicated to label. Calling it stupid is stupid, because it dumbs down hundreds of integrated pieces - some good, some bad, some effective, some inneffective.

We're all dealing with pretty rotten cards at the moment - most influenced by the web of foreign policies of all countries. That being said, the US and its forces and its allies deserve more respect. They have been a vital force in trying to cultivate or export ideas or ideals of democracy to some pretty oppressive places. Their contribution to WWII was immense, and it does not and should not matter that they "officially" entered a few years after other countries. They did a lot behind the scenes prior to their arrival in Europe.

Why don't we all just step aside and watch Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin lead us all in foreign policy... or is he too busy breaking Canada's promise to increase foreign aid at the moment? >> Who cares? What is your or any country doing to show some leadership here? There are less than a handful of countries anywhere showing leadership in this space. Like any politician anywhere, he doesn't have all the answers, but at least he seems to be listening.

Maybe we should start a new thread. The topic could be "Why do many aging topics on bulletin boards break down to provoke petty squabbles between supposedly "idealistic Canadians" and supposedly "imperialistic Americans"? After some time, why do many discussions revert to themes of "remember 1812" or "us vs. them", or "might is right", or "the world's policeman is a bully" or who can lay claim to communism failing when it impoded largely based on its own deficiencies?

As a Canadian, I'm sick of some self-righteous Canucks (or other nationalities) slagging some great, proud, and caring people south of the border. I like Americans. I'm related to Americans. I respect Americans. And I'm proud to be a North American. If we could figure out what binds us as relatives rather than bothers us as neighbours, we might be able to get through this easier.

As I write this, people in Europe are celebrating VE day. They Dutch and others are celebrating the end of suffering. They are celebrating values of selflessness, courage, perseverence, hope, freedom, and democracy. They are celebrating noble truths about humanity that apply whether you're a student in U. Conn or a logger in the Yukon.

And isn't that why we like and listen intently to U2 tunes? Because, they amplify a lot of these noble truths, or revisit the "redemption song" themes of Bob Marley.

As usual I've wandered. I don't care if they drop or continue BTBS. But if its included as a melodic way to trash the US, then I say drop it yesterday.

At the end of the day, as Bono queried in One, "is it easier now you've got someone to blame?"I'd rather focus on the positive, and concentrate on the hopeful "might" of progress than the spiteful "might" of power. Why not?

Westport and mistafadedglory and Alex get :up: :up: :up: and a thank you from me. As for Bullett I love it when it is raw and in your face despite what it stands for.

Bullet needs to go.
Really, they can rotate every song for all I care.
Well, except for Streets...
I remember the night someone forgot to post it in the setlist thread. Everyone nearly jumped out the interference window.

As you guys were bickering...i was thinking...why do they keep playing that song. I like it, but why is it played at every
concert. well..i think because its so relevant to the theme, always. Well in JT and RH it was off the current album and was still timley with what was going in central America. in Zoo tv, it was war time in iraq, in POPmart it was
Yugoslavia. in elevation it was the gun thing and school shootings and all that.
now, well with the war in Iraq. I guess what i'm saying is Bono is never one to passup an opportunity to make a political statement , no matter how much of a stretch it is. And i don't know much about world politics, but i do know this, wars are not won right away, history will tell us. Its ironic that the way we 'won' WW2 actually caused the cold war. but i digress.

before you harp me..GO USA!

btw, what if it is because they actually they LIKE playing that song?...

And i don't know much about world politics, but i do know this, wars are not won right away, history will tell us. Its ironic that the way we 'won' WW2 actually caused the cold war. but i digress.

You're right - winning WW2 actually caused the Cold War, and all of the problems that flowed from it (Vietnam, Cuban Missile Crisis, nuclear proliferation, etc). Now the USA is paying the price for "winning" the Cold War as well. Problems with Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Al Qaida, etc can at least be partly attributed to US foreign policy during the Cold War. That policy was to support any government that was not communist - even if it was tyrranical. The USA made a deal with the devil to bring down the USSR. They supported a lot of gbad overnments both financially and militarilly, even when some of these states were even worse than the USSR. Now many people in that part of the world are resentful that the US propped up tyrants (like Hussein in the 80's), and no longer trust America.

BTW, it is a stretch to say that the USA "won" the Cold War. It was the people of Eastern Europe who won the Cold war. They were the ones who stood up to the Soviets, and the USSR fell like a deck of cards. First in POland, and then across Eastern Europe. Very little blood was shed in this revolution. In an earlier post someone insinuated that the USA "liberated" Eastern Europe. This is false. Yes, the arms race with the USA contributed to the bankruptcy of the USSR, but the American contribution to the fall of the Soviet Union was an indirect one. Important, yes, but still indirecty.

The CIA might disagree with your assesment below. They worked in the background to see this happen.

it is a stretch to say that the USA "won" the Cold War. It was the people of Eastern Europe who won the Cold war. They were the ones who stood up to the Soviets, and the USSR fell like a deck of cards.

Last edited:
bigwali said:
The CIA might disagree with your assesment below. They worked in the background to see this happen.

LOL - the CIA? I'm an American, but this group gets my vote as least credible government agency ever.

Before Iraq I / Bush I -- wasn't Iraq allegeldy like the 4th or 5th 'ranked' military in the world according to the CIA? They ducked out parolees at a Police Acadamy convention.

Iraq II / WMD -- Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For...
but we were CERTAIN about it even though the UN had folks on the ground who said no. Then at least 2 of our own went in looking, still nothing.

:sad:

You have got to be Kidding about dropping Bullet The Blue Sky!!
The Edge eminates awesome power and the awesome bass beat from Larry and Adam is very powerful too! I would be hugely dissapointed if I never got to see this song above any other when i see U2 for the first time in Brisbane next January.

The crowd does'nt have to singalong to every song!!!! There is nothing wrong with quietly enjoying U2 play BTBS and Zoo Station. I would'nt be a U2 fan if it was'nt for songs like these.
If you wanna singalong to everything why don't you go see some pooffy boyband! BTBS eminates powerful Rock n Roll poeple.. That's what this band is about. This Band is also about diversity...If they played 20 Miracle Drug's or Pride's in a concert it would be crap.

When U2 go to Europe and Australia they will drop THTBA and BTBS will be back in it's complete awesome glory!!!! :drool:
I bet edge will have an updated solo too..can't wait!!! Maybe Bono will have a new rant too:wink:

If it does get replaced from time to time, the only substitute's would be God Part II, Exit or Acrobat. Only these 3 songs are worthy of replacing it. I would gladly miss BTBS only for 1 of those songs, none other would be worthwhile.

starvinmarvin said:
And i don't know much about world politics...

You're right - winning WW2 actually caused the Cold War, and all of the problems that flowed from it (Vietnam, Cuban Missile Crisis, nuclear proliferation, etc). Now the USA is paying the price for "winning" the Cold War as well. Problems with Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Al Qaida, etc can at least be partly attributed to US foreign policy during the Cold War.

I agree with your first comment and that's about it.

The use to atomic bomb to end World War II was beyond horrible but the world's advancement in technology (which is part of the natural course of evolution, unfortunately) did not cause the Cold War. That came from two opposing ideologys combined with the advancements of science and techology. And where would we be if the allies hadn't ended WW2? You might want to give a little credit and thanks to Mikhail Gorbachev and Ronald Reagan for ending the cold war. Nobody won the Cold War. And where would we be if the Cold War hadn't ended? You speak as though that was a negative. The U.S. is paying the price? Like that was horrible thing to end?

As for your comments about the problems with Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Al Qaida.....wow...you might want to read a few books on that subject. Start with Abraham and Ismael.

Westport said:

As for your comments about the problems with Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Al Qaida.....wow...you might want to read a few books on that subject. Start with Abraham and Ismael.

You're right - America is currently at war with radical Islam only because of Abhraham. It has nothing at all to do with America's support for the Shah of Iran (which led to the 1979 Islamic Revolution), America's support of Saddam in the 80's, The Gulf Wars, The Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan in 1979 and American support for Islam freedom fighters (including Osama Bin Laden), American support of Israel, and the unwelcome presence of American troops in Saudi Arabia - the Islamic holy land.

do you guys realize the mileage u2 gets from bullet the blue sky. they use this song to actively comment on politics of the day.
how elese will bono be able to stay in the front pages of the news.

xellente said:
btw, what if it is because they actually they LIKE playing that song?...

That's the point I was going to make. There has to be a reason they keep playing a song live that was never even a single. My theory is playing it gets the band fired up, which makes the entire show better.

I personally hope they never stop playing it. It's a great song, and they always find a way to make it a little different.

Back
Top Bottom