Time For Vertigo Stats!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Time For Vertigo Stats!

ponkine said:
This will be a huge surprise for you but Santiago show 26-02-2006 DIDN´T SELL OUT, there were about 2000 concert tickets left :ohmy: according with radio Rock & Pop (Radio which were at the Stadium that night... sadly they didn´t transmit the show because they were banned to do it)

I'm actually not that surprised to be honest. I heard compared to alot of other markets it was a slow seller. Also if I remember correctly (and I could be wrong) but Popmart was also a slow seller there and did not sellout until the day of the show. :shrug: Considering they only have done 2 shows there ever and one didnt sellout and the other barely did I think its safe to say that its not a huge U2 market. They have done two fantastic shows there and the crowd that WAS there was definately into it (Popmart 98 was one of the better from the tour I think (although Edge said Sao Paolo was the best of that leg in an interview) but that doesnt mean its U2 mania there either. Another reason I dont think an official DVD would ever be shot there. Why would they release an official DVD of a show that didnt even sellout?

Re: Re: Re: Time For Vertigo Stats!

ponkine said:
This will be a huge surprise for you but Santiago show 26-02-2006 DIDN´T SELL OUT, there were about 2000 concert tickets left :ohmy: according with radio Rock & Pop (Radio which were at the Stadium that night... sadly they didn´t transmit the show because they were banned to do it)

The official audit, done by Amusement Business is the following:

Santiago, Chile : February 26, 2006 : Estadio Nacional : GROSS $5,000,589 : ATTENDANCE 77,345 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

Every ticket put on sale was sold. Seeing a particular section in the stadium without people in it only means that section was not put on sale.

Amusement Business does official audits for the concert business across the globe certifying concert attendance, gross, and sellout figures. A couple of radio station DJ's sitting in the stands or in a press box don't have a clue about the official business results for the show.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Time For Vertigo Stats!

STING2 said:

The official audit, done by Amusement Business is the following:

Santiago, Chile : February 26, 2006 : Estadio Nacional : GROSS $5,000,589 : ATTENDANCE 77,345 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

Every ticket put on sale was sold. Seeing a particular section in the stadium without people in it only means that section was not put on sale.

Amusement Business does official audits for the concert business across the globe certifying concert attendance, gross, and sellout figures. A couple of radio station DJ's sitting in the stands or in a press box don't have a clue about the official business results for the show.

:bow: to the master of attendence information. Disregard most of my prior post (except I did here both were slow sellers and I stand by the official DVD thing, would never happen with this market).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Time For Vertigo Stats!

Blue Room said:

I'm actually not that surprised to be honest. I heard compared to alot of other markets it was a slow seller. Also if I remember correctly (and I could be wrong) but Popmart was also a slow seller there and did not sellout until the day of the show. :shrug: Considering they only have done 2 shows there ever and one didnt sellout and the other barely did I think its safe to say that its not a huge U2 market. They have done two fantastic shows there and the crowd that WAS there was definately into it (Popmart 98 was one of the better from the tour I think (although Edge said Sao Paolo was the best of that leg in an interview) but that doesnt mean its U2 mania there either. Another reason I dont think an official DVD would ever be shot there. Why would they release an official DVD of a show that didnt even sellout?

Here are the results for POPMART 98 Chile and Vertigo 2006 Chile:

Santiago, Chile : February 11, 1998 : Estadio Nacional : GROSS $2,171,112 : ATTENDANCE 67,633 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

Any show is a sellout when it sells all the tickets put on sell for the set capacity. In stadiums, this can vary a lot given their enormous size of the venue as well as the stage set up. Depending on where the stage is put on the field and how many side stage seats the set up blocks, you can have different max capacity levels from show to show. In addition, the artist or promoter may opt to set capacity at a lower level, than what would technically be the maximum. A concert is consider a sellout by Amusement Business if every ticket put on sale is sold.

In terms of whether Chile is a huge market for U2, consider the fact that the top two concerts in Chile's history by a foreign artist are these U2 concerts, or at least since 1995 when Amusement Business began its coverage of the entire globe instead of just North America.

Since 1995 no foreign artist has played to this many people in Chile, and no foreign artist has ever made this much money from a single concert in Chile ever. The $5,000,589 GROSS is the highest GROSS ever by a foreign artist for a single concert in the history of Chile.

Also, the Rolling Stones came to Chile in 1995 and only played to 45,000 people. They did not return in 1998, nor are they attempting to go there on the current tour.

There is stronger demand to see U2 in Chile than there is in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana combined.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Time For Vertigo Stats!

STING2 said:

Here are the results for POPMART 98 Chile and Vertigo 2006 Chile:

Santiago, Chile : February 11, 1998 : Estadio Nacional : GROSS $2,171,112 : ATTENDANCE 67,633 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

Any show is a sellout when it sells all the tickets put on sell for the set capacity. In stadiums, this can vary a lot given their enormous size of the venue as well as the stage set up. Depending on where the stage is put on the field and how many side stage seats the set up blocks, you can have different max capacity levels from show to show. In addition, the artist or promoter may opt to set capacity at a lower level, than what would technically be the maximum. A concert is consider a sellout by Amusement Business if every ticket put on sale is sold.

In terms of whether Chile is a huge market for U2, consider the fact that the top two concerts in Chile's history by a foreign artist are these U2 concerts, or at least since 1995 when Amusement Business began its coverage of the entire globe instead of just North America.

Since 1995 no foreign artist has played to this many people in Chile, and no foreign artist has ever made this much money from a single concert in Chile ever. The $5,000,589 GROSS is the highest GROSS ever by a foreign artist for a single concert in the history of Chile.

Also, the Rolling Stones came to Chile in 1995 and only played to 45,000 people. They did not return in 1998, nor are they attempting to go there on the current tour.

There is stronger demand to see U2 in Chile than there is in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana combined.

I think you missed the point of my post completely. Ponkine was advocating a petition to release the Santiago show officially on DVD in another thread. I'm pointing out as a market compared to the rest of the world, its not a strong from the merchandising perspective. Why market a DVD from a country that doesnt have a huge market for the band? There is no reason to and it will most likely never happen.

I notice you mention Michigan, Ohio and Indiana?? How about including Illinois with that. Its the same market region. Then how are the numbers skewed? Demand is way higher in a smaller geographic region if you do that. So I'm not sure what the point was there. Demand is as higher in ONE major U.S. city over some entire countries including the one that you are trying to overplay IMO. Then factor in that U2 plays those markets every single tour and Chile 2 times in their 30 year career. You tell me which area has a higher market demand. Add up all the shows done in the last 7 years by U2 in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio and the numbers are not that much different than the total for the 2 in Chile and I would say those three states are not even major/strong U2 markets for the U.S. at all.

Last edited:
Buenos Aires wasn't a sell-out neither.
In Chile it might have happen the same as in Buenos Aires.
Two days before the concerts, new tickets went on sale, and the day before, even more tickets appeared.
The promoter said it was because the actual placement of the stage in the stadium allowed more people to the field and to sell more sections of the stands.
In Buenos Aires, the last tickets went on sale without notice the day before the show and were still available at showtime. They were for the first sections of the lowest stands, almost behind the stage (at the same level of larry's drumkit). The stage was really back , next to the stands , I tell you. It was located in the track sorrounding the field , and it was a general opinion that it was real low, perhaps because of its position.
The last minute selling of more than 5000 tickets was also made for the Rolling Stones show in Buenos Aires. The promoter said it was also because of the stage location, but also to fight scalpers.
It would be interesting to know the final figure of BsAs attendance. Media reports vary from 63000 to more than 70000.

Last edited:
raft said:
Buenos Aires wasn't a sell-out neither.
In Chile it might have happen the same as in Buenos Aires.
Two days before the concerts, new tickets went on sale, and the day before, even more tickets appeared.
The promoter said it was because the actual placement of the stage in the stadium allowed more people to the field and to sell more sections of the stands.
In Buenos Aires, the last tickets went on sale without notice the day before the show and were still available at showtime. They were for the first sections of the lowest stands, almost behind the stage (at the same level of larry's drumkit). The stage was really back , next to the stands , I tell you. It was located in the track sorrounding the field , and it was a general opinion that it was real low, perhaps because of its position.
The last minute selling of more than 5000 tickets was also made for the Rolling Stones show in Buenos Aires. The promoter said it was also because of the stage location, but also to fight scalpers.
It would be interesting to know the final figure of BsAs attendance. Media reports vary from 63000 to more than 70000.

Figures for Buenos Aires should be out on Wendsday.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Time For Vertigo Stats!

Blue Room said:

I think you missed the point of my post completely. Ponkine was advocating a petition to release the Santiago show officially on DVD in another thread. I'm pointing out as a market compared to the rest of the world, its not a strong from the merchandising perspective. Why market a DVD from a country that doesnt have a huge market for the band? There is no reason to and it will most likely never happen.

I notice you mention Michigan, Ohio and Indiana?? How about including Illinois with that. Its the same market region. Then how are the numbers skewed? Demand is way higher in a smaller geographic region if you do that. So I'm not sure what the point was there. Demand is as higher in ONE major U.S. city over some entire countries including the one that you are trying to overplay IMO. Then factor in that U2 plays those markets every single tour and Chile 2 times in their 30 year career. You tell me which area has a higher market demand. Add up all the shows done in the last 7 years by U2 in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio and the numbers are not that much different than the total for the 2 in Chile and I would say those three states are not even major/strong U2 markets for the U.S. at all.

Remember this is Chile, minimum wage for an entire month is the cost of a U2 ticket I think. The average cost for a ticket in Chile was 64 US dollars. While to the average American, that may not seem like a lot, to the average person in Chile, that is really the equilivant of several hundred dollars if you were to adjust for purchasing power parity. Would U2 be able to sellout an 80,000 seat stadium in the United States if tickets were $300-$600 dollars a pop? Per Capita GDP in the United States is 37,648 compared to Chile at 4,591. Yet, Chileans filled a huge stadium purchasing concert tickets at nearly the same price average as Americans($64 US dollars Chile to $97 US dollars USA).

Lets also remember that the first U2 album released in Chile was the Unforgettable Fire. Point being U2 have spent more time building up a following in the USA than they have in Chile. Considering all these things, I find Chile's support for U2 to be rather impressive.

As far as the DVD, if you can have DVD from Mexico City, you can have DVD from Santiago.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Time For Vertigo Stats!

STING2 said:

Remember this is Chile, minimum wage for an entire month is the cost of a U2 ticket I think. The average cost for a ticket in Chile was 64 US dollars. While to the average American, that may not seem like a lot, to the average person in Chile, that is really the equilivant of several hundred dollars if you were to adjust for purchasing power parity. Would U2 be able to sellout an 80,000 seat stadium in the United States if tickets were $300-$600 dollars a pop? Per Capita GDP in the United States is 37,648 compared to Chile at 4,591. Yet, Chileans filled a huge stadium purchasing concert tickets at nearly the same price average as Americans($64 US dollars Chile to $97 US dollars USA).

Lets also remember that the first U2 album released in Chile was the Unforgettable Fire. Point being U2 have spent more time building up a following in the USA than they have in Chile. Considering all these things, I find Chile's support for U2 to be rather impressive.

As far as the DVD, if you can have DVD from Mexico City, you can have DVD from Santiago.

Fine, you are right, I'm wrong. Chile is the U2 hotbed of the world. Cant wait for the official DVD from there. Sounds like it is likely now! :up:

One point though, why do you think the first release there was Unf. Fire? Because there was no market or demand there for them prior to that. Whereas there was in many other markets accross the globe. Also, Mexico City was part of an official broadcast in the U.S. live at the time. So there is another reason that footage was used. Think about it, they filmed the S. American shows from Popmart also, yet used the Mexico City one? Why would that be? Because its still a N. American market and that footage was used for promotional purposes in the U.S. already.

Last edited:
If people in Chile had the same purchasing power parity, U2 would be touring Chile at least as much as they are touring the states, in fact they might be touring Chile more, because obviously the audience is there. That's STING2's point, I guess.

U2Man said:
If people in Chile had the same purchasing power parity, U2 would be touring Chile at least as much as they are touring the states, in fact they might be touring Chile more, because obviously the audience is there. That's STING2's point, I guess.

Here is the thing though. If that were the case the market is more saturated and there is no guarantee the demand would be the same. If it became that profitable to go down there you would see ALOT more major artists touring there. Taking more of the concert money. Plus if U2 played several dates there EVERY tour you would most likely decrease the numbers as well. Right now its a HUGE deal when they play there because so few major artists do (it is still a hassle financially and legally to play there) so it becomes more of an event rather than just a U2 concert. Plus they only played there one time before and its been 7 years since that. You take away those factors, which is what you are indicating, then the demand is not as high IMO.

One thing I do want to point out. I'm not trying to disparage or put down the Chilean crowd. They are obviously very into it and are great fans. My point is that its not a strong U2 market financially and its one of the major reasons I dont think they would ever market and official DVD from there. Not saying its impossible, I'm saying its very unlikely for the reasons I outlined.

Well, I can agree with that. There are so many factors determining demand that are different in these markets, that making this comparison is impossible anyway.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Time For Vertigo Stats!

Blue Room said:

Fine, you are right, I'm wrong. Chile is the U2 hotbed of the world. Cant wait for the official DVD from there. Sounds like it is likely now! :up:

One point though, why do you think the first release there was Unf. Fire? Because there was no market or demand there for them prior to that. Whereas there was in many other markets accross the globe. Also, Mexico City was part of an official broadcast in the U.S. live at the time. So there is another reason that footage was used. Think about it, they filmed the S. American shows from Popmart also, yet used the Mexico City one? Why would that be? Because its still a N. American market and that footage was used for promotional purposes in the U.S. already.

Regardless of what you may think of Chile as a market, how many other US cities generate this level of demand:

The fact is, you don't bring a stadium show to a weak market period. There are a lot of weak markets around the world. U2 does not play shows there, especially stadium shows.

Despite the fact that people in Chile make about 10% of the what the average American does, Santiago could beat most American cities in terms of attendance and GROSS. You can also see from the statistics that general demand for U2 in Chile is growing. Look at the massive increase in GROSS from the first show to the second. If the level of demand in Chile was based on the small number of times U2 has played there, wouldn't the second show have smaller attendance and GROSS figures?

Blue Room said:

Here is the thing though. If that were the case the market is more saturated and there is no guarantee the demand would be the same. If it became that profitable to go down there you would see ALOT more major artists touring there. Taking more of the concert money. Plus if U2 played several dates there EVERY tour you would most likely decrease the numbers as well. Right now its a HUGE deal when they play there because so few major artists do (it is still a hassle financially and legally to play there) so it becomes more of an event rather than just a U2 concert. Plus they only played there one time before and its been 7 years since that. You take away those factors, which is what you are indicating, then the demand is not as high IMO.

One thing I do want to point out. I'm not trying to disparage or put down the Chilean crowd. They are obviously very into it and are great fans. My point is that its not a strong U2 market financially and its one of the major reasons I dont think they would ever market and official DVD from there. Not saying its impossible, I'm saying its very unlikely for the reasons I outlined.

Your assuming that lots of artist have the ability to sellout shows and lots of albums in all 1st world markets and that is not the case. Its rare to to be able to sell so well in so many different countries around the world like U2 does. That is the biggest reason why U2 is able to play in some of these other markets. So the arguement that if standard of living and purchasing power were the same in Chile as in the United States would naturally lead to a massive influx of foreign artist is not necessarily so.

As far as touring or not touring a certain place and the level of demand, it works both ways. Touring more in certain countries can actually increase the demand to see the artist live again, as well as increase album sales. Just take a look at the difference in the numbers between U2's first Chile concert and their second. By the logic your using, U2's biggest and highest demand show in Chile should have been the first concert, but the second concert has nearly triple the GROSS of the first concert.

It is true though that if an artist tours to much, demand will fall. But U2 don't risk that anywhere since for nearly 20 years now, they have had at least a 4 year gap in between tours for any region or country around the world. Once you get beyond 3 years, your not going to see much of an increase in demand if you wait longer to play a given market, unless people get the feeling that it might be the artist final tour. Sometimes, being away to long can have a negative impact on demand.

Another factor in all of this is the popularity of the bands current album. That definitely has an impact on the demand to see the artist in concert.

In any event, I don't know any artist that would consider playing a city to 77,000 people at a Gross of 5 million dollars to be a weak market. There are very few artist that can actually play to that many people in one city anywhere in the world and come out with a 5 million gross.

If I could jet anywhere in the globe to catch a U2 gig, I think it would have to be one of the Sth American shows. Both the crowd and the band seem to be something else there.

STING2 said:

Your assuming that lots of artist have the ability to sellout shows and lots of albums in all 1st world markets and that is not the case. Its rare to to be able to sell so well in so many different countries around the world like U2 does. That is the biggest reason why U2 is able to play in some of these other markets. So the arguement that if standard of living and purchasing power were the same in Chile as in the United States would naturally lead to a massive influx of foreign artist is not necessarily so.

As far as touring or not touring a certain place and the level of demand, it works both ways. Touring more in certain countries can actually increase the demand to see the artist live again, as well as increase album sales. Just take a look at the difference in the numbers between U2's first Chile concert and their second. By the logic your using, U2's biggest and highest demand show in Chile should have been the first concert, but the second concert has nearly triple the GROSS of the first concert.

It is true though that if an artist tours to much, demand will fall. But U2 don't risk that anywhere since for nearly 20 years now, they have had at least a 4 year gap in between tours for any region or country around the world. Once you get beyond 3 years, your not going to see much of an increase in demand if you wait longer to play a given market, unless people get the feeling that it might be the artist final tour. Sometimes, being away to long can have a negative impact on demand.

Another factor in all of this is the popularity of the bands current album. That definitely has an impact on the demand to see the artist in concert.

In any event, I don't know any artist that would consider playing a city to 77,000 people at a Gross of 5 million dollars to be a weak market. There are very few artist that can actually play to that many people in one city anywhere in the world and come out with a 5 million gross.

:rolleyes: I will just point to U2man's last post and say that is my final word on the matter also. Like I said, you are right, I'm wrong. I could dispute half of what you just said with more hypotheticals also but this is getting old. Cant WAIT for the Santiago DVD. It MUST be happening now! :up:

Blue Room said:

:rolleyes: I will just point to U2man's last post and say that is my final word on the matter also. Like I said, you are right, I'm wrong. I could dispute half of what you just said with more hypotheticals also but this is getting old. Cant WAIT for the Santiago DVD. It MUST be happening now! :up:

Is a rolleyes Smilie necessary? What does saying "you are right, I'm wrong" have to do with the discussion?

I'm interested in hearing your point of view on what I just posted, but if you don't want to discuss the particular issue then just move on.

I can confirm with my own ears that they rehearsed Mofo in Los Angeles on Nov 1st. It was just the intro part over and over (Edge's screaming guitar part and the looped bass/drums) that I heard, but it was plain as day "MOFO".

well, why somebody buys a live dvd concert? Because it was performed in my own country? not likely. Because the location is exotic and weird? Maybe. If the concert was on Ireland, well that's something, it has some extra value. Or maybe if it was on Brazil, which is a new and strange crowd and has some "fame" of "party people."

All of that are primary reasons, but if the concert was stouding, and the crowd amazing, and the concert itself was an experience rare and beyond the normal perfomances around the world. Then the rumour spreads and everybody moves to get one copy, specially fans, as happened with Santiago 1998 concert in all over the world.

I believe is the case with Santiago 2006 also. Here there is a U2 fan group and audience specially important, as in Argentina there is a Rolling Stone's one. The fans clubs have thousands of registered members and there are several, which is very uncommon for our country, I've met people from 14 years old to 35 or more. Here they had to put tickets to the double of the rest of South American gig and we still filled the stadium, it was obvious the need of a second concert, but the band and the producers couldn't manage that, and for a city with less than a half of population than Sao Paulo or Buenos Aires that's a lot to say.

I hope the dvd is released, all of you missed one great and unique show.

Last edited:
STING2 said:

4TH LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR: MEXICO, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CHILE, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, HAWAII

114, 115. Sao Paulo, Brazil : February 20-21, 2006 : Estadio do Morumbi : GROSS $11,682,557 : ATTENDANCE 149,700 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

Actually buddy I believe there's a slight mistake , according to police itself and other infos here , in the 2nd concert , in Sao Paulo , police said that there was about 79-80.000 persons. Don't know where u got this info , but it would make at least , 150.000 persons for sure , if count in my info , 153.000

raft said:
Are Buenos Aires stats already available?

Here is the updated list with the Buenos Aires statistics included.

1ST LEG of VERTIGO WORLD TOUR: NORTH AMERICA

1, 2. San Diego, California : March 28, 30, 2005 : ipayOne Center at the Sports Arena : GROSS $2,909,029 : ATTENDANCE 29,140 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

3, 4. Anaheim, California : April 1-2, 2005 : Arrowhead Pond : GROSS $3,454,198 : ATTENDANCE 33,535 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

5, 6. Los Angeles, California : April 5-6, 2005 : Staples Center : GROSS $3,673,850 : ATTENDANCE 34,527 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

7, 8. San Jose, California : April 9-10, 2005 : HP Pavillion : GROSS $3,357,098 : ATTENDANCE 36,140 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

9, 10. Glendale, Arizona : April 14-15, 2005 : Glendale Arena : GROSS $3,198,861 : ATTENDANCE 34,905 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

11, 12. Denver Colorado : April 20-21, 2005 : Pepsi Center : GROSS $3,509,741 : ATTENDANCE 36,714 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

13, 14. Seattle, Washington : April 24-25, 2005 : Key Arena : GROSS $3,105,574 : ATTENDANCE 30,251 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

15, 16. Vancouver, British Columbia : April 28-29, 2005 : General Motors Place : GROSS $3,020,466 : ATTENDANCE 37,031 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

17, 18, 19, 20. Chicago, Illinois : May 7-12, 2005 : United Center : GROSS $7,541,679 : ATTENDANCE 77,173 : SHOWS 4 : SELLOUTS 4

21, 25. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania : May 14-22, 2005 : Wachovia Center : GROSS $3,767,178 : ATTENDANCE 39,273 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

22, 23. East Rutherford, New Jersey : May 17-18, 2005 : Continental Airlines Arena : GROSS $3,838,066 : ATTENDANCE 40,347 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

24. New York, New York : May 21, 2005 : Madison Square Garden : GROSS $1,907,086 : ATTENDANCE 18,415 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

26, 27, 28. Boston, Mass. : May 24, 26, 28, 2005 : FleetCenter : GROSS $5,071,565 : ATTENDANCE 51,658 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

1ST LEG of VERTIGO WORLD TOUR TOTALS

GROSS: $48,354,391
ATTENDANCE: 499,109
AVERAGE GROSS PER SHOW: $1,726,942.5
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE PER SHOW: 17,825
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $96.88
SHOWS: 28
SELLOUTS: 28

2ND LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR: EUROPE

29. Brussels, Belgium : June 10, 2005 : Koning Boudewijn Stadion : GROSS $4,864,554 : ATTENDANCE 60,499 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

30. Gelsenkirchen, Germany : June 12, 2005 : Arena AufSchalke : GROSS $4,203,947 : ATTENDANCE 59,120 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

31, 32. Manchester, England : June 14-15, 2005 : City Of Manchester Stadium : GROSS $11,119,740 : ATTENDANCE 107,671 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

33, 34. London, England : June 18-19, 2005 : Twickenham Stadium : GROSS $13,677,410 : ATTENDANCE 110,796 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

35. Glasgow, Scotland : June 21, 2005 : Hampden Park : GROSS $5,819,053 : ATTENDANCE 53,395 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

36, 37, 38. Dublin, Ireland : June 24-25, 27, 2005 : Croke Park : GROSS $21,163,695 : ATTENDANCE 246,743 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

39. Cardiff, Wales : June 29, 2005 : Millennium Stadium : GROSS $6,406,073 : ATTENDANCE 63,677 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

40. Vienna, Austria : July 2, 2005 : Ernst Happel Stadion : GROSS $4,200,416 : ATTENDANCE 55,645 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

41. Chorzow, Poland : July 5, 2005 : Stadion Slaski : GROSS $3,127,416 : ATTENDANCE 64,711 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

42. Berlin, Germany : July 7, 2005 : Olympiastadion : GROSS $4,725,530 : ATTENDANCE 70,443 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

43, 44. Paris, France : July 9-10, 2005 : Stade De France : GROSS $11,822,645 : ATTENDANCE 160,349 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

45, 46, 47. Amsterdam, The Netherlands : July 13, 15-16, 2005 : Amsterdam Arena : GROSS $13,022,200 : ATTENDANCE 165,516 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

48. Zurich, Switzerland : July 18, 2005 : Stadion Letzigrund : GROSS $3,574,993 : ATTENDANCE 44,260 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

49, 50. Milan, Italy : July 20-21, 2005 : Stadio San Siro : GROSS $7,565,264 : ATTENDANCE 137,427 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

51. Rome, Italy : July 23, 2005 : Stadio Olimpico : GROSS $4,010,779 : ATTENDANCE 67,002 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

52. Oslo, Norway : July 27, 2005 : Valle Hovin : GROSS $3,765,136 : ATTENDANCE 40,000 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

53. Goteborg, Sweden : July 29, 2005 : Ullevi Stadion : GROSS $4,081,864 : ATTENDANCE 58,478 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

54. Copenhagen, Denmark : July 31, 2005 : Parken Stadion : GROSS $3,650,294 : ATTENDANCE 50,000 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

55. Munich, Germany : August 3, 2005 : Olympiastadion : GROSS $5,343,379 : ATTENDANCE 77,435 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

56. Nice, France : August 5, 2005 : Parc des Sports Charles-Ehrmann : GROSS $3,548,702 : ATTENDANCE 51,900 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

57. Barcelona, Spain : August 7, 2005 : Camp Nou : GROSS $5,130,437 : ATTENDANCE 81,269 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

58. San Sebastian, Spain : August 9, 2005 : Estadio de Anoeta : GROSS $2,936,571 : ATTENDANCE 43,720 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

59. Madrid, Spain : August 11, 2005 : Estadio Vicente Calderon : GROSS $3,679,354 : ATTENDANCE 57,040 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

60. Lisbon, Portugal : August 14, 2005 : Estadio Jose Alvalade : GROSS $4,492,762 : ATTENDANCE 55,362 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

2ND LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR TOTALS

GROSS: $155,932,214
ATTENDANCE: 1,982,458
AVERAGE GROSS PER SHOW: $4,872,882
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE PER SHOW: 61,952
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $78.66
SHOWS: 32
SELLOUTS: 32

3RD LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR: NORTH AMERICA

61, 62, 63, 64. Toronto, Ontario : Sept. 12, 14, 16-17, 2005 : Air Canada Centre : GROSS $7,624,870 : ATTENDANCE 82,572 : SHOWS 4 : SELLOUTS 4

65, 66. Chicago, Illinois : Sept. 20-21, 2005 : United Center : GROSS $3,795,583 : ATTENDANCE 38,815 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

67. Minneapolis, Minn. : Sept. 23, 2005 : Target Center : GROSS $1,823,883 : ATTENDANCE 19,328 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

68. Milwaukee, Wis. : Sept. 25, 2005 : Bradley Center : GROSS $1,782,895 : ATTENDANCE 19,336 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

69, 70. Boston, Mass. : October 3-4, 2005 : TD Banknorth Garden : GROSS $3,381,429 : ATTENDANCE 34,488 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

71, 72, 73, 74, 75. New York, N.Y. : Oct. 7-8, 10-11, 14, 2005 : Madison Square Garden : GROSS $9,658,009 : ATTENDANCE 93,275 : SHOWS 5 : SELLOUTS 5

76, 77. Philadelphia, PA : Oct. 16-17, 2005 : Wachovia Center : GROSS $3,773,053 : ATTENDANCE 39,305 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

78, 79. Washington, D.C. : Oct. 19-20, 2005 : MCI Center : GROSS $3,902,569 : ATTENDANCE 38,181 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

80. Pittsburgh, PA : Oct. 22, 2005 : Melon Arena : GROSS $1,636,798 : ATTENDANCE 16,899 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

81, 82. Auburn Hills, Mich. : Oct. 24-25, 2005 : Palace of Auburn Hills : GROSS $3,951,103 : ATTENDANCE 41,379 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

83. Houston, TX : Oct. 28, 2005 : Toyota Center : GROSS $1,652,699 : ATTENDANCE 17,002 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

84. Dallas, TX : Oct. 29, 2005 : American Airlines Center : GROSS $1,689,471 : ATTENDANCE 17,988 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

85, 86. Los Angeles, Calif. : Nov. 1-2, 2005 : Staples Center : GROSS $3,656,978 : ATTENDANCE 34,291 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

87, 88. Las Vegas, Nev. : Nov. 4-5, 2005 : MGM Grand Garden : GROSS $3,864,843 : ATTENDANCE 31,863 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

89, 90. Oakland, Calif. : Nov. 8-9, 2005 : Oakland Arena : GROSS $3,638,620 : ATTENDANCE 36,340 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

91, 92. Miami, Fla. : Nov. 13-14, 2005 : American Airlines Arena : GROSS $3,589,942 : ATTENDANCE 37,354 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

93. Tampa, Fla. : Nov. 16, 2005 : St. Pete Times Forum : GROSS $1,825,243 : ATTENDANCE 19,354 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

94, 95. Atlanta, Ga. : Nov. 18-19, 2005 : Philips Arena : GROSS $3,500,572 : ATTENDANCE 36,334 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

96, 97. New York, N.Y. : Nov. 21-22, 2005 : Madison Square Garden : GROSS $3,859,828 : ATTENDANCE 37,314 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

98. Ottawa : Nov. 25, 2005 : Corel Centre : GROSS $1,486,710 : ATTENDANCE 18,647 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

99, 100. Montreal, Quebec : Nov. 26, 28, 2005 : Bell Centre : GROSS $3,575,491 : ATTENDANCE 43,294 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

101, 102. Boston, Mass. : Dec. 4-5, 2005 : TD Banknorth Garden : GROSS $3,400,861 : ATTENDANCE 34,583 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

103. Hartford, Conn. : Dec. 7, 2005 : Hartford Civic Center : GROSS $1,542,471 : ATTENDANCE 16,165 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

104. Buffalo, N.Y. : Dec. 9, 2005 : HSBC Arena : GROSS $1,711,094 : ATTENDANCE 18,826 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

105. Cleveland, Ohio : Dec. 10, 2005 : Quicken Loans Arena : GROSS $1,791,497 : ATTENDANCE 19,765 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

106. Charlotte, N.C. : Dec. 12, 2005 : Charlotte Bobcats Arena : GROSS $1,672,440 : ATTENDANCE 17,804 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

107. St. Louis, Mo. : Dec. 14, 2005 : Savvis Center : GROSS $1,839,020 : ATTENDANCE 19,923 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

108. Omaha, Nebraska : Dec. 15, 2005 : Qwest Center : GROSS $1,500,834 : ATTENDANCE 16,134 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

109. Salt Lake City, Utah : Dec. 17, 2005 : Delta Center : GROSS $1,709,317 : ATTENDANCE 18,197 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

110. Portland, Ore. : Dec. 19, 2005 : Rose Garden : GROSS $1,670,879 : ATTENDANCE 18,233 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

3RD LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR TOTALS TO DATE

GROSS: $90,509,002
ATTENDANCE: 932,989
AVERAGE GROSS PER SHOW: $1,810,180
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE PER SHOW: 18,659
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $97.01
SHOWS: 50
SELLOUTS: 50

4TH LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR: MEXICO, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CHILE

111. Monterrey, Mexico : February 12, 2006 : Estadio Tecnologico : GROSS $4,504,026 : ATTENDANCE 50,347 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

112, 113. Mexico City, Mexico : February 15-16, 2006 : Estadio Azteca : GROSS $10,257,284 : ATTENDANCE 141,278 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

114, 115. Sao Paulo, Brazil : February 20-21, 2006 : Estadio do Morumbi : GROSS $11,682,557 : ATTENDANCE 149,700 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

116. Santiago, Chile : February 26, 2006 : Estadio Nacional : GROSS $5,000,589 : ATTENDANCE 77,345 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

117, 118. Buenos Aires, Argentina : March 1-2, 2006 : River Plate Stadium : GROSS $6,966,821 : ATTENDANCE 150,424 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

4TH LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR TOTALS TO DATE

GROSS: $38,411,277
ATTENDANCE: 569,094
AVERAGE GROSS PER SHOW: $4,801,409
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE PER SHOW: 71,137
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $67.50
SHOWS: 8
SELLOUTS: 8

Combined 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th LEG VERTIGO TOUR TOTALS TO DATE

GROSS: $333,206,884
ATTENDANCE: 3,983,650
SHOWS: 118
SELLOUTS: 118

J_NP said:

Actually buddy I believe there's a slight mistake , according to police itself and other infos here , in the 2nd concert , in Sao Paulo , police said that there was about 79-80.000 persons. Don't know where u got this info , but it would make at least , 150.000 persons for sure , if count in my info , 153.000

The statistics come from Amusement Business which does the official audits for concerts around the world. Newspapers and Police have estimates, Amusement Business looks does an audit of what was actually sold and have the precise figures for both Attendance and Gross.

Yeah though I disagree with this , specially coz I know that specially in the 2nd , I saw a lot of more people coming into the stadium , at like 7:00pm which was 2 hours before the concert begins which shows more tickets were probably sold in the last hour or something like this and only the fact that the country who held the concerts was wrong about how many people went to the concert , yeah better shut up , before someone claim it's all about brazilian arrogance not having the fact that in argentina more people attended the concerts there , so that's it I'm officially shut up .

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Time For Vertigo Stats!

Blue Room said:

I don't understand this reaction... Why get all defensive and reply with sarcasm when no one in this thread is even mentioning the possibility of a Santiago DVD? :shrug:

Blue Room said:

One point though, why do you think the first release there was Unf. Fire? Because there was no market or demand there for them prior to that. Whereas there was in many other markets accross the globe.

...and the reason there was no market or demand there was because Island Records (or the correponding label for their overseas marketing) didn't target South America right at first. Its goal would have been to sell U2 to Europe (the UK and other Western European countries mainly) and North America first, and then branch out once they'd attained some success in those 2 markets, providing them with enough financial backing to support a shift to a more global market.

I may be wrong here, but to me it looks like you're trying to prove in this thread what you were trying to prove in the thread started by ponkine, re: an official release of the Santiago show on DVD.

While I tend to agree with you that it probably won't happen, it does seem (at least to me) like you're belittling the Chilean fanbase in an attempt to do so.

I apologize if I'm coming off as insulting (that's honestly not my intent here), I'm just curious as to why you're going to such great lengths to prove your point, only to reply with sarcastic remarks when STING2 provides factual information that you seemingly can't (or don't want to) refute?
:confused:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Time For Vertigo Stats!

MarcusOneTree said:

I don't understand this reaction... Why get all defensive and reply with sarcasm when no one in this thread is even mentioning the possibility of a Santiago DVD? :shrug:

...and the reason there was no market or demand there was because Island Records (or the correponding label for their overseas marketing) didn't target South America right at first. Its goal would have been to sell U2 to Europe (the UK and other Western European countries mainly) and North America first, and then branch out once they'd attained some success in those 2 markets, providing them with enough financial backing to support a shift to a more global market.

I may be wrong here, but to me it looks like you're trying to prove in this thread what you were trying to prove in the thread started by ponkine, re: an official release of the Santiago show on DVD.

While I tend to agree with you that it probably won't happen, it does seem (at least to me) like you're belittling the Chilean fanbase in an attempt to do so.

I apologize if I'm coming off as insulting (that's honestly not my intent here), I'm just curious as to why you're going to such great lengths to prove your point, only to reply with sarcastic remarks when STING2 provides factual information that you seemingly can't (or don't want to) refute?
:confused:

Why resurrect something I indicated I was done with a week later? :shrug: Honestly, I dont know!

If you read all my posts you will see that I specifically said that I was not trying to belittle the Chilean fans. So read everything before you selectively quote me and accuse me of something.

Oh, and since Marcus asked. (I didnt realize I had to explain my posts but its apparant I do, again). It became apparant that no matter what I said Sting2 was going to try to refute it or disagree with it. :shrug: So it became tiresome to me and I didnt see a point in continuing with it. Its not that big of a deal. If everyone wants to believe that Chile is the greatest U2 market, go for it (as I said previously if you read all my posts I said the fans there are great fans). So I left the thread to him.

Blue Room said:

Why resurrect something I indicated I was done with a week later? :shrug: Honestly, I dont know!

If you read all my posts you will see that I specifically said that I was not trying to belittle the Chilean fans. So read everything before you selectively quote me and accuse me of something.

I apologize. I re-read your other posts in this thread and I guess I had missed this one in particular:

Blue Room said:

Anyway, my mistake, sorry about that... :reject:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom