This is the Vertigo Tour, not the African awareness tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL at this thread, especially the title....

However, I respect Bono's passion for Africa, and it doesn't make me any less of a fan when he comments about it.

I think it´s a pity he does this Africa thing at the beginning of Streets. I haven´t seen it live but I can imagine the streets-version of the Elevation-tour is much stronger. I get an adrenaline push everytime when I think back to the beginning of Streets in Arnhem 2001, Netherlands. Those red lights, flashing lights, it was amazing!

For me I don´t need to be educated about Africa. I have pretty much the same thoughts as Bono has about Africa. And i don´t think people will think different about the subject after visiting a U2 concert. I know there´s not much awareness about the subject, but the news on TV, newspapers and discussing programs on your local tv station should deal more about this subject. It´s a shame that an emergency is going on in a big part of the world and at the same time the news in the ´First World´ countries deals about little unimportant subjects...
I´m aware of this and I get angry about the Africa problems and knowing that the Western World doesn´t do anything about it.
But when I go to a U2 show I want FUCKIN´GREAT ROCK N ROLL !!!!!!!

frozenmuze04 said:

It's interesting, though - someone mentioned the level of apathy in America - it seems to be a disturbing trend. I mean, I saw R.E.M. last fall, NOT on the VFC tour but on their own headlining tour, and when Stipe began mentioning something about the upcoming election, they actually started getting booed - by a crowd that was VERY good and responsive before. I think that there really are a large portion of American concert audiences these days who just want bands to "stand up there and play them songs I know!" It's pretty disheartening, really, but I wonder if it really it is a trend that's increasing.

People were booing REM because Stipe was making extremely partisan comments, not because he was trying to "get out the vote". Not everyone who goes to see REM or U2 is a bleeding heart liberal. And being conservative does not mean you don't give a crap about global issues like Africa.

I go to see U2 for the music, not the messages. This doesn't imply that people like me are apathetic, and to reach that conclusion is nonsense.

I have an interview where Bono was asked what the song was about and he said both Ireland and Africa.
Bono said the song came about when he went to Africa with Ali and they met all of these children who were on the edge of dying of starvation/disease. He said these children were just full of life and happy, they didn't care what was going on and they just appreciated everything. He also said what really affected him is how when he came back to Ireland everyone just appeared to be like spoilt brats whinging and moaning compared to these people. He then quoted saying that he 'felt like the first world is the one really living in poverty'..

The presentation of this song is very relevant on this tour because it's first what the song is about and two because Bono is the head of the One Campaign. I mean one tour they do with Streets something meaningful and charitable and everyone starts complaining.. thats the kind of attitude that got africa where it is today and also the exact attitude which Bono was refferring to in that interview.

I am sure Streets will be fantastic live on this tour as it was in the past 4!

Cheers

I think that Streets is great, because of itself, not the bloodred sky at hte beginning , or the house lights being turned on. This song hooked me to U2, and not because of the live performance, but because of great idea/place/feeling that's going on somewhere in there. And people who don't like being preeched on about africa , pay attention, that's all I can say.

The UN is going to spend $1.2 Billion dollars to remake their
headquaters. That is not a typo $1.2 B-I-L-L-I-O-N.
absolute joke - absolute waste.

How many countries in africa or the world don't even have a
GDP of $1.2 Billion? And of the ones that do, how many are ruled
by corrupt leaders?

The UN did nothing about-
oil for food - biggest scam in history
-it's workers who sexually exploit women in under devlepoed countries.
-slaughter going on throughout the world.
it does nothing.
the silence is deafening.
they get a free pass, in large part because the UN has become
the pulpit to slam america.
where is the backlash?

$1.2 billion can feed and vacinate alot of people.
Bono should go to the UN and carry on about Africa
there. it would be far more constructive, and less iratating
then hearing about it at show that many people had to
really bend over to pay to see.

coach said:
I think that Streets is great, because of itself, not the bloodred sky at hte beginning , or the house lights being turned on. This song hooked me to U2, and not because of the live performance, but because of great idea/place/feeling that's going on somewhere in there. And people who don't like being preeched on about africa , pay attention, that's all I can say.

Damn right. :up:

THANK YOU, LuvandPeace1980, for your post.

That was the explanation of "Streets" that I always heard of given by Bono. What interview exactly is that quotation from? I would like to find the article again.

Since this song and this Continent are so important to the B-man, why can't we either applaud him on his social activism or at least desist from criticizing him?

Bono evidently has a very big Heart for Africa - either love it or just leave it alone. But the need to tear down Bono's sincerity toward Africa is really shallow on the part of a "U2 fan".:yes:

LuvandPeace1980 said:

The presentation of this song is very relevant on this tour because it's first what the song is about and two because Bono is the head of the One Campaign. I mean one tour they do with Streets something meaningful and charitable and everyone starts complaining.. thats the kind of attitude that got africa where it is today and also the exact attitude which Bono was refferring to in that interview.

I am sure Streets will be fantastic live on this tour as it was in the past 4!

Cheers

Amen. Streets is amazing on this tour. (Just listen to SD1 version.) The world needs to be educated on what is happening in Africa. I applaud Bono for actually speaking up and taking on this issue. He's honestly passionate about it and the speech intro. to Streets is very moving.

Have to admit that the one thing I do miss is his running around the heart.

Erin go bragh said:
" Am I buggin you....well I don't mean to bug ya"

this quote came to my mind also when i read the title of this thread.

Originally posted by Westport

the video of streets from u2log is great but yeah i do miss the bloodred sky and bono running around the heart/elipse.

IMO...you should be ashamed if you are waiting for Bono to educate you on the AIDS epidemic.....take a look at "And the band played on." its a great book.

Westport said:

Amen. Streets is amazing on this tour. (Just listen to SD1 version.) The world needs to be educated on what is happening in Africa. I applaud Bono for actually speaking up and taking on this issue. He's honestly passionate about it and the speech intro. to Streets is very moving.

"the world needs to be educated on whats happening in Africa"
Incredibily patronising statement dont you think?
How about
"Africa needs to be educated on whats happening in Africa"
I'll personally send them some money when their leaders stop raping and pillaging their own people:mad:

Jamila said:
THANK YOU, LuvandPeace1980, for your post.

That was the explanation of "Streets" that I always heard of given by Bono. What interview exactly is that quotation from? I would like to find the article again.

Since this song and this Continent are so important to the B-man, why can't we either applaud him on his social activism or at least desist from criticizing him?

Bono evidently has a very big Heart for Africa - either love it or just leave it alone. But the need to tear down Bono's sincerity toward Africa is really shallow on the part of a "U2 fan".:yes:
Thanks mates (Jamilia and Westport).
I really believe in everything Bono is doing. I think he will pull it off. With our support anyway, not our criticism.

Umm back to the quote, it's from this interview from an Irish talk show in about 1987/1988 I think. I have an interview disc, like a bootleg one. It goes for about an hour. It comes with a little booklet which has heaps of facts and info about U2. The Book is written by Mark Taylor. Quite Nifty for something unofficial. :)

Bono should go to the UN and carry on about Africa
there. it would be far more constructive, and less iratating
then hearing about it at show that many people had to
really bend over to pay to see.

Maybe you've just missed some vital points.

The US has pledged to meet it's share of the UN's Millennium Development goals.Since making the pledge, it hasn't followed through, Bono's asking Americans to press their government to meet that promise made to the UN. Going to the UN to make his case would make no difference whatsoever, the UN has already asked it's members to do their part and each has pledged to do so, the US (among other nations) has basically not lived up to that pledge.

P-T-P said:

Maybe you've just missed some vital points.

The US has pledged to meet it's share of the UN's Millennium Development goals.Since making the pledge, it hasn't followed through, Bono's asking Americans to press their government to meet that promise made to the UN. Going to the UN to make his case would make no difference whatsoever, the UN has already asked it's members to do their part and each has pledged to do so, the US (among other nations) has basically not lived up to that pledge.

So, let me get this straight, Bono wants us to pressure the Government to give a bunch of rich, lying, unaccountable hypocritical crooks some more money ?

Also, isn't the US providing the loan to fund the redevelopment and don't US taxpayers actually pay about 20% of the HQ's operating costs each year to begin with?

And might those things happen because having the UN in New York brings in about $3 billion annually to the NYC economy and give employment to thousands of New Yorkers?

And won't most of that $1.2 billion in renovation be spent with US companies?

cardosino said:

So, let me get this straight, Bono wants us to pressure the Government to give a bunch of rich, lying, unaccountable hypocritical crooks some more money ?

No. The money's not to line the UN coffers, it goes to NGO's to provide the needed relief, the UN is the co-ordinating body.

P-T-P said:

No. The money's not to line the UN coffers, it goes to NGO's to provide the needed relief, the UN is the co-ordinating body.

I think you'll find that the average Joe trusts the UN with their money about as much they'd trust Michael Jackson with their kids.

cardosino said:

I think you'll find that the average Joe trusts the UN with their money about as much they'd trust Michael Jackson with their kids.

Witty? Perhaps. Relevent? Survey says..."Nope."

Money doesn't go "to the UN" it goes into the bellies, the homes, the hospitals and schools of Africa.

And if average Joe is so distrustful of the UN, why did average Joe's government even bother to make the pledge in the first place, surely it's a vote loser if what you say is true. Why was no one campaigning for President looking for the "fuck the UN and their wish to stop people dying" vote?

I hope you are right....but I would like to see proof.

I hope by the third leg they tone it tone a bit, find a happy medium and everything. I'm fine with the One campaign text messaging thing, but I wish Streets didn't have the African flags and the shouting of "Africa! Africa!" (which might sound insincere the 86th time) at the front. It's my first U2 concert, and all I want is the red lights! Please!:sad: :wink:

I do think they should announce that they are donating a certain percentage of their proceeds to DATA or some other charity. I do believe that they probably donate personally, but it seems hypocritical to charge 150 bucks a ticket and then go on about African aid. I think it would make everyone feel a lot better if they'd publicly announce how much they were giving. (and don't give me the thing about Bono's money can't do much, it's Congress's we need...because I AGREE. But Bono's money can do something for someone, better than going to buying another house or whatever.)

These are just some things I'd like to see happen by the third leg. Who knows.

Also, I hope this doesn't mean Pride has to be played into Streets every night!

u2bonogirl said:
this argument could go on forever. :laugh:
maybe Bono should ask if he's "buggin ya" again and take a poll.

"do you all want to hear me talk about africa tonight?"
'

:lmao: you win. "All who want to hear me talk about Africa tonight, say yea! All who want me to shut the hell up, say nay!"

I have an idea of which would get the loudest response. Listening to my Anaheim 1 boot a helluva lotta people cheered during Bono's speech before One...I think some of you are taking this WAY out of proportion. It's not like he spent the entire show talking about Africa. In fact, his speeches weren't even that long, and he basically just asked those who wanted to for some help... and even thanked those who didn't want to help for enduring his rants... I must have missed the ten minute rant where he talked about how horrible Africa is and described in detail all the starving children and guilted everyone for spending their money on other things.

U2 are on to something with this tour.

A rock concert is where people are drunk and stoned. It isn't the proper venue to ram African Awareness down people's throats. The audience mindset to to enjoy songs and not get a lesson on Africa. So whatever goes in their left ear will just come out their right ear. A concert isn't the proper forum for such.

But it does enhance U2's image as a socially conscious band. The media will pick on this and give them good press.

In the end, U2 wins. And this is a good thing for U2 and their fanbase.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
U2 are on to something with this tour.

A rock concert is where people are drunk and stoned. It isn't the proper venue to ram African Awareness down people's throats. The audience mindset to to enjoy songs and not get a lesson on Africa. So whatever goes in their left ear will just come out their right ear. A concert isn't the proper forum for such.

But it does enhance U2's image as a socially conscious band. The media will pick on this and give them good press.

In the end, U2 wins. And this is a good thing for U2 and their fanbase.

Cheers,

J

This post is coming from someone who chastited people a couple months ago for teasing about 'herbal refreshments' at concerts?! I believe you said something like, "U2 would appalled if there was drug use at thier shows and you should be ashamed". Now you're saying this?! Give me a fuckin break.

Secondly, I was neither drunk nor stoned at my last U2 concert so there goes that theory. Perhaps I should be this time around...it'll make all those pretty lights fascinating.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom