This is the Vertigo Tour, not the African awareness tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I Payed $150 to hear Bono give a talk about Africa.. where he did not even touch a guitar.

I go to concerts to have fun. Streets is not about Africa, it is something different to many people. One is not about Africa, it i s a different thing to many people.

One of the reasons the first show was a downer was that fanss could not laugh and for more than three songs before Bono started talking about tragedies again.

It's always a part of a U2 concert... from "war " till now.....
The political speeches of Bono, but i can deal with it....
I'm not gonna stay at home from a concert just because Bono will be doing his speeches....It's the man's life....
And i think he's doing a good job so....

I had the most perfect post which went for days and I accidentally deleted it! :scream:

Oh well, to summarise

1. teta040 said it better than I could
2. too many people bitching about nothing important
3. be thankful you in the US can enjoy the comforts that come from living in a superpower.
4. HOWEVER, this does not negate your responsibility, as a country or as individuals, your responsibility to use that power responsibly, or to forget those individuals less fortunate.
5. Bono's got a fucking huge captive audience, he can say what he bloody well likes!!!!!

:angel:

I'm getting tired of saying the US should do this and that....when their country doesn't do dick. Worry about yourselves and we'll do the same.

romi said:
I Payed $150 to hear Bono give a talk about Africa.. where he did not even touch a guitar.

I go to concerts to have fun. Streets is not about Africa, it is something different to many people. One is not about Africa, it i s a different thing to many people.

One of the reasons the first show was a downer was that fanss could not laugh and for more than three songs before Bono started talking about tragedies again.

You have a point. I paid a lot of money to go see Bono talk about AIDS in Africa at the rose garden a while ago. It was a wonderful speech, and I really admire what he's doing. The big downer was that he just drove right on by the small group of people waiting for him in the rain by where he was parked :rolleyes: but I got over that :wink:
The reason I went to that was to learn more about what he was campaigning for, and to see him in person for the first time. Ive never been to a U2 show. This tour will be my first time, and I dont want to leave there feeling bad because I can afford to buy coffee in the morning and buy the U2 iPod.
I do believe theres a place in U2 shows for serious issues. Its U2, theyve always been about something and you just expect it. I guess I just dont want to have to feel guilty for spending money (or my fiance actually :wink: ) on a concert ticket instead of donating it to charity......
By the way
90$ shirts. Big fucking ripoff

before you can really argue any point, you have to understand both sides..

i admire everything bono does... but when you're selling t-shirts at your concert which probably cost about 2 bucks to make for 90 dollars... well... that doesn't look good, to say the least.

yes yes yes i know.. bono's millions are pennies compared to what africa needs. i know that, i've done reports for school on it when i was in college, blah blah friggin blah.

but not everyone knows that... not everyone gets it... all a lot of people see is some guy selling a t-shirt for 90 bucks, selling an iPod for 350 bucks, and then telling that person he's an a-hole and needs to give more money to chairty.

you have to understand why people would be annoyed by that and not just belittle them for not understanding.

you're right... they don't understand. but telling them that they're stupid and selfish for not understanding isn't going to make them understand.

Last edited:
whats seperates U2 from other bands in the BIZ 30+ years is purpose...
Whether its God, War or Africa, they have never just been about a good time...the stones are now, kiss was when they were touring, even sting is rolling out again...and i would only be able to imagine kicking back and enjoying myself at their concerts. U2 mean while, as Paul McGuiness says, is not just good, but Relevant, something all those other bands lost along time ago. I hope to always come to a U2 show, be challengeed and walk away changed somehow, i don't have time for anything else.

it would also be alot easier to blow Bono off if he wasn't right. If you haven't listened to his speah for TED, it maybe worth checking out.

peace

P.S. i just read headaches suitcase guy's post: Good points. i have not been to the show, (going saturday) but everything i've heard Bono talk about is less about giving mnoey and more about knowledge. (he knows its worth spending time to get microsoft to caugh up millions then to get us to send a $50 check) I've heard more about coming together as a community, to be aware of the issue and do our part, whether that means money, time, energy brain, power, prayer, attitude, whatever. He's trying to start a social movement. That is much bigger (and better) than a charity event.

Finally about $90 t-shirts

1. Don't buy em
2. I heard this show is costing 1 million euros a night! And considering their past financial woes after touring, i would be trying to compensate too.
3. i dont know of another act this big that gives you a chance (even if its just a chance) to stand on the floor, even right next to the stage, hi five Bono, for only $55 (or so) thats unheard of. They could have sold those seats for 200-400 dollars and people would have paid it. Sure they made it up with prices on other seats, but when you thin that 3/4 of the arenas are seeing the show for that 55 or so ..thats pretty remarkable, maybe even generous?

again peace..

Last edited:
Ive never considered U2 greedy. Far from it. I do know, however that I dont love them enough to buy a 90$ shirt :laugh:
I love them enough to buy the iPod, and singles, and posters...... :blahblah:
I agree that Bono trying to start a social movement is more effective than just begging money off fans who love them enough to feel closer to the band if theyre involved in the same cause.
:hmm: I think if Bono stripped naked, filmed it, and sold it in PLEBA he might solve the debt problem though :wink:

im not really that interested what bono's got to say, im just there for the music nothing else. oh by the way sally cinnamon is one of the greatest songs ever.

ultraviolet299 said:
so much indifference in the US, what a shame.

Silly to extrapolate the opinion of one bonehead on one band forum to those of 300 million people, don't you think?

Peace,
Ron

Just because people dont want to hear Bono bang on about'Africa' doesnt mean they dont understand:madspit: Im going to see them in England and if Bono starts on his ranting during bullet,its piss break time for me.i want to hear vertigo and sometimes....not preach preach preach,

thankyou (i'll get off my soapbox now and give it back to Bono)

guys...
you're at a U2 concert... with Bono on stage

what else did you expect :shrug:

personally i'm in awe of the work Bono does and the difference he makes.
while according to some here we're "all aware of africa's problems" (i beg to differ), if his preaching means just 10 or 5 or even 2 people in the audience a night learn that little bit more or get their eyes opened that millimetre further and are actually inspired to do something then i say, Preach On Bono.
every single voice counts.

Perhaps maybe, just maybe, Bono does what he does because he doesn't see those people as just Africans, but human beings who deserve all the other things we take for granted.

I think the problem in Africa is as bad as it is because we in someway don't see them as our equals. You can't tell me that if this happened in Europe or the USA the situation wouldn't have been nipped in the bud.

Last edited:
No its not only about America, Europian countries dont do enough either. Take the One campaign across the globe, and dont stop with just America.

Taking a piss break is a true sign of disrespect for the cause and the people that it is affecting but that is up to you.

Bono and U2 arent going to stop being a political band at any point so I think its time after 25 years that you got used to it.

boystupidboy said:
im listening to the san diego gig now .Africa africa blar blar blar...give it a rest Bono_Ok.... mention it once or even twice but for the love of god don't string it out over 3/4 songs....jesus!!!

Dude It's a U2 concert with Bono as your frontman. You know what your getting into when you buy your ticket. You dont want to hear a politically, socially motivated show? Go see another band. It's that simple. It seems your ripping Bono for one of the reasons you probably became a fan in the first place for.

Back
Top Bottom